The White Coat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think physician leaders in hospitals should just make policies against anyone but physicians wearing the long white coat. Could you imagine the grief a med student would get at most of their hospitals if they wore a long white coat. We would accuse them of confusing the patients. Yet, we stand by and allow it to go unchecked with other healthcare professionals. Historically, the uniform (coat) helped identify who was who. That tradition has been blurred beyond recognition. Perhaps it is time to bring it back with hospital policy. Nurses could start wearing those little hats again.

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, nurses are making 100K and ordering sedatives without physician consent. Not referring to an APN either, this lady is a three year program battle ax from back in the day. You should have seen the physician trying to cover when he came into interview the patient, who was wacked out on Demerol that he didn't order. Witnessed this yesterday, ER preceptorship.

White coats are the least of our worries, but I do agree that it would be great to enforce a uniform policy. It's hard enough to get people to come into work every day. Absenteeism is absolutely catastrophic. My institution has so many incentives for nurses it isn't even funny, not to mention the outfits folks stroll around in.

I realize this isn't a nurse thread, but I've spend four years undergraduate, BS, then two years for a MS, then in three more years MD (with a lot of work and some luck thrown in) and then finally 4-7 years residency. People think physicians make too much. Hey let nurses do what a physician's do, right? My wife and I hear this all the time.

.... Nurses could start wearing those little hats again.

Uh, no, don't really think so. At least not for the scrotally-blessed.

For the minutia affectionado: Most RNs in the olden days were nuns. Today's RN hats are an extension of nun's hats. If you took an RN (or nun's) hat and unfolded it, you would see it was the shape of a crucifix.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, nurses are making 100K and ordering sedatives without physician consent. Not referring to an APN either, this lady is a three year program battle ax..... Witnessed this yesterday, ER preceptorship. .

If the RN did that lacking any collaborative agreement or standing orders he/she should be reported immediately to the director of nursing and the BON. Bye Bye license.

Absenteeism is absolutely catastrophic. My institution has so many incentives for nurses it isn’t even funny, .

It's only going to get MUCH worse. Depending on the source, the experts are estimating an RN shortage in the next 10-15 years on the order of 800,000. The chokepoint in turning out more RNs is the lack of qualified faculty, who themselves are about to retire in droves. It's going to be quite ugly for nurse recruiters.

American nursing schools last year turned away 42,000 fully qualified applicants due to lack of faculty.

If the RN did that lacking any collaborative agreement or standing orders he/she should be reported immediately to the director of nursing and the BON. Bye Bye license.

It's only going to get MUCH worse. Depending on the source, the experts are estimating an RN shortage in the next 10-15 years on the order of 800,000. The chokepoint in turning out more RNs is the lack of qualified faculty, who themselves are about to retire in droves. It's going to be quite ugly for nurse recruiters.

American nursing schools last year turned away 42,000 fully qualified applicants due to lack of faculty.

The other part is the salary structure really can't be supported under current medicare payments. When PRN nurses are getting >$60/hr in California something will have to give. You may end up seeing the LPN's coming back. Or you may see the nursing colleges do something about needind an MSN to teach.

As far as a white coat (on the subject). I wear one because:
1. I like all the pockets when wearing scrubs
2. My practice likes it because I am a walking billboard
3. Would actually prefer the short coat but practice doesn't like it.
4. Has my name on it with PA-C and Physician Assistant to make sure I comply with identifying myself properly.

David Carpenter, PA-C

The other part is the salary structure really can't be supported under current medicare payments. When PRN nurses are getting >$60/hr in California something will have to give. You may end up seeing the LPN's coming back. Or you may see the nursing colleges do something about needind an MSN to teach.

As far as a white coat (on the subject). I wear one because:
1. I like all the pockets when wearing scrubs
2. My practice likes it because I am a walking billboard
3. Would actually prefer the short coat but practice doesn't like it.
4. Has my name on it with PA-C and Physician Assistant to make sure I comply with identifying myself properly.

David Carpenter, PA-C

Blue coats have pockets and name tags, and can be used as a billboard.

In my institution, everyone and their Mom wears long white coats- EVEN THE MED STUDENTS! Nurse managers, Nurse pracs, PA's- the meaning is totally gone. Not wearing a white coat seems to make more of a statement than wearing one!

Blue coats have pockets and name tags, and can be used as a billboard.

True. I didn't buy it though. It showed up. Actually I'm going to go with grey at my new job if I can get away with it. My white coats end up that way anyway.

David Carpenter, PA-C

I can't believe we wasted 2 pages to this stupid topic and that I spent 5 minutes to read them all. Which chapter in Miller covers white coats? Whats next? Long ties vs. bowties?

Here is a test to see if you are either a liar or a slow learner:

If you are reading this post, you are either a liar that you weren't interested in the topic OR a slow learner in that you didn't learn the first time that this topic is of little interest to you. Now go read Miller.:)

I hope that you learned something useful from this experience.

Well, let's start some change.
Someone, pick a color. The only way to change what we're complaining about is to do it ourselves.

I vote grey. Whose with me?

I want a leopard skinned "cape" with a fluffy collar with "Doctor Luv" on the back in bright red.

Afterall, Docs are the "pimps" of the hospital. We should dress like em!

I bet noone 'steals' those coats :p

No, this is a good topic. (GETTING ON MY SOAPBOX)
Anesthesia is a field that is silently respected. We are wrongly expected to act as assistants to the surgeon and even the nurse, instead of as equals/leaders. When SHTF, which will occur from time to time, that's when we shine; but look who gets/takes the credit... the surgeon. This is fine, many of us have learned to accept the fact that we'll never be the 5-star Division I SEC star quarterback, which the chief of surgery usually is in status around our hospitals. However, I think many of us are fed up of being forced into the role of WATERBOY instead of our true place, as a teammate of the surgeon and oftentimes quarterback coach.
How many of you can name the top anesthesiologists in our country? Other physicians own this type of history and respect for what they do every day. Sadly, most people I ask the above question can barely tell you the name of the anesthesiologist that operated on their child/mother/wife; but attributes the success of the procedure to the surgeon.
Wearing a white coat around the pre-op area won't get us back or garner the respect that we require. We need to display our authority and competence daily without being so overly agreeable all the damn time in attempts to fit it. We have to stop trying to fit in as one of the good guys with these nurses/CRNAs and be the physician that we spent most our 20s trying to become. Forget this first name basis BS, unless its the nature of your practice. In some cases, this is acceptable, but don't just be an overpriced nurse. If the surgeon is called "Dr. ___", you should be too. Wear your white coat is you choose to, but also wear that same competence, bravado, and respect when you take it off in the OR. Don't be so quick to deny your greatness, the surgeon definitely won't. (OFF MY SOAPBOX)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think physician leaders in hospitals should just make policies against anyone but physicians wearing the long white coat.

What physician leaders in hospitals?????

In the bulk of community (non-teaching) hospitals across this country, beyond the Medical Director, there are few to NO physician leaders. The people at the top of most of the hierarchies are MBA paper pushers. And many of those try to dress ALL personnel in scrubs/medical attire and eliminate degrees/licensure on name tags. That way, it appears that there are more licensed medical/nursing personnel in the facility than there actually were.

In the 80's and early 90s, there were hospitals that did not list nurses as RNs or LPNs, but as "Patient Care I - Judy", etc. Nurses had to fight to get licensure permitted on name tags in some places.

Outside of the teaching facility, there are very few "Physician" leaders, as it is considered unrewarding or takes too much time. And the problems that they face are of significantly more importance than quibbling over coats/colors.

They also know better than to try to unduly regulate attire of nurses or more so, of fellow MDs. Their own fellow MDs would probably be the worst offenders.

(So, help me if Dr.X shows up to the unit at 0500, in those g-dawful shorts and sandals, again - w/ his skinny legs..the whole staff will go blind....)

Bumped because of the new thread "What do you do for a living?"

Funny. Had an RN on one of the "hospice floors", as I call them, tell me that nurses are "just as qualified" to wear long white coats as doctor.

That's annoying to me.

Perhaps more so is the alphabet soup after the nurses names, which they proudly display in gold, hoping that the 20 letters can add up to more value than MD or DO. Hey, you've earned it, that's cool. I've earned mine too, so show some respect, don't write orders without my giving them first, and stop trying to undermine me and my colleagues at the legislative and judicial levels.

I've posted before about my experience with the DNP types. I had a DNP student (who, btw, is getting her degree ONLINE), who is well known as an existing ARNP with an attitude, hang around the ICU the other day. She was being given the opportunity to intubate by the attending, and she "offered" to "show me the cords" in a very demeaning tone. I almost smacked her. She failed the intubation, which the attending got in 3 seconds. She wears a long white coat, has the gold letters to boot, and frequently speaks of the equality of DNP = MD.

This is the same person who I've had to tell to leave in 2 codes which I was running, because she was trying to give my team orders over me, all the while saying I was "just an intern".

So, yeah, you can see why I'm a little peeved over the white coat issue, over the whole issue of respect, of over the whole issue of nurses with extreme doctor envy because they couldn't hack undergrad and med school.

Funny. Had an RN on one of the "hospice floors", as I call them, tell me that nurses are "just as qualified" to wear long white coats as doctor.

That's annoying to me.

Perhaps more so is the alphabet soup after the nurses names, which they proudly display in gold, hoping that the 20 letters can add up to more value than MD or DO. Hey, you've earned it, that's cool. I've earned mine too, so show some respect, don't write orders without my giving them first, and stop trying to undermine me and my colleagues at the legislative and judicial levels.

I've posted before about my experience with the DNP types. I had a DNP student (who, btw, is getting her degree ONLINE), who is well known as an existing ARNP with an attitude, hang around the ICU the other day. She was being given the opportunity to intubate by the attending, and she "offered" to "show me the cords" in a very demeaning tone. I almost smacked her. She failed the intubation, which the attending got in 3 seconds. She wears a long white coat, has the gold letters to boot, and frequently speaks of the equality of DNP = MD.

This is the same person who I've had to tell to leave in 2 codes which I was running, because she was trying to give my team orders over me, all the while saying I was "just an intern".

So, yeah, you can see why I'm a little peeved over the white coat issue, over the whole issue of respect, of over the whole issue of nurses with extreme doctor envy because they couldn't hack undergrad and med school.

Oh man, that DNP sounds like a handful. The easiest thing to think is how one "could've done" something.....

If she keeps spewing DNP=MD out in the open I have a feeling she'll be making more enemies than she realizes. I'm sure that even gets old for the majority of "ordinary" RNs.

Oh man, that DNP sounds like a handful. The easiest thing to think is how one "could've done" something.....

If she keeps spewing DNP=MD out in the open I have a feeling she'll be making more enemies than she realizes. I'm sure that even gets old for the majority of "ordinary" RNs.

Yeah, alot of the RNs, usually older, say that the younger nurses aren't well trained, and in fact, should "go to medical school" if they want to be doctors.
Although, this NP is older, and she and her buds are on the "cutting edge" to take out MD's.

Hilarious.

:scared: Wow.

Agree w/ Cfdavid - a person with this type of overall attitude probably isn't making too many friends of any profession at the hospital.

I think physician leaders in hospitals should just make policies against anyone but physicians wearing the long white coat. Could you imagine the grief a med student would get at most of their hospitals if they wore a long white coat. We would accuse them of confusing the patients. Yet, we stand by and allow it to go unchecked with other healthcare professionals. Historically, the uniform (coat) helped identify who was who. That tradition has been blurred beyond recognition. Perhaps it is time to bring it back with hospital policy. Nurses could start wearing those little hats again.

UT Southwestern students wear the long white coats. And believe me, the patients could not care less.

UT Southwestern students wear the long white coats. And believe me, the patients could not care less.

Well, that's cause they don't know any better. You need to earn a long white coat IMHO. It's not unlike bars in the military. You must earn em to wear em....

The world is full of posers though. I think there may come a time where we'll need to "brand" the MD/DO.

If you have a pompous nurse or whoever making a fit over the white coat, when you see them, address them as "Doctor so and so", and when they tell you "Oh I'm sorry, I'm not a doctor", then you can just reply "that's right, so stop acting like it. You slut."

If you have a pompous nurse or whoever making a fit over the white coat, when you see them, address them as "Doctor so and so", and when they tell you "Oh I'm sorry, I'm not a doctor", then you can just reply "that's right, so stop acting like it. You slut."

You just couldn't resist could you? :laugh:

:smuggrin::laugh::laugh::laugh::smuggrin:

Funny you should mention this.

I read a surgery rotation primer book today that said:

"Do not address CRNA's or anesthesiologists as 'Anesthesia' or 'Dr. Anesthesia'. They are not ancillary members of the OR and should not be treated as such. You would similarly not refer to the GI consult as 'Dr. Endoscopy' or the IR consult as 'Dr. Radiology' "

I had a DNP student (who, btw, is getting her degree ONLINE), who is well known as an existing ARNP with an attitude, hang around the ICU the other day. She was being given the opportunity to intubate by the attending, and she "offered" to "show me the cords" in a very demeaning tone. I almost smacked her. She failed the intubation, which the attending got in 3 seconds. She wears a long white coat, has the gold letters to boot, and frequently speaks of the equality of DNP = MD.

Perhaps you should direct a little of your anger to the ******* attending who is doing his part to sell out the profession to the nurses.

I see this everywhere. Hell I even see ******* surgery attendings who kick CHIEF RESIDENTS out of cases so they can "supervise" a PA or NP instead. These jackasses need to get the **** out of academic medicine. If your goal in life is to sell out and make as much money as possible with midlevels, then go join a private non-academic group. You got no ****ing business being in any kind of academic institution.

Your attending is ****ing up your education so he can get paid for supervising nurses who want to take your job from you. Its time to start getting vocal against the *******s in our own profession without whom the nurses wouldnt have a leg to stand on.

Actually, that particular attending has told me how much he dislikes that annoying twit.

His hands are tied because the institution, not the attending, makes the rules for and sponsors the NP (who is getting an online DNP at ANOTHER institution), to work within the ICU at our institution.

Nurses hold alot of power within the hospitals. Perhaps it's time to stop being so politically correct and really go after these people with a vengeance. We have to wake up before it's too late for our profession and our patients..Maybe my place is particularly bad, especially on the white coat issue..

Perhaps you should direct a little of your anger to the ******* attending who is doing his part to sell out the profession to the nurses.

I see this everywhere. Hell I even see ******* surgery attendings who kick CHIEF RESIDENTS out of cases so they can "supervise" a PA or NP instead. These jackasses need to get the **** out of academic medicine. If your goal in life is to sell out and make as much money as possible with midlevels, then go join a private non-academic group. You got no ****ing business being in any kind of academic institution.

Your attending is ****ing up your education so he can get paid for supervising nurses who want to take your job from you. Its time to start getting vocal against the *******s in our own profession without whom the nurses wouldnt have a leg to stand on.

Actually, that particular attending has told me how much he dislikes that annoying twit.

His hands are tied because the institution, not the attending, makes the rules for and sponsors the NP (who is getting an online DNP at ANOTHER institution), to work within the ICU at our institution.

Nurses hold alot of power within the hospitals. Perhaps it's time to stop being so politically correct and really go after these people with a vengeance. We have to wake up before it's too late for our profession and our patients..Maybe my place is particularly bad, especially on the white coat issue..

Thats BS and I dont buy it. The hospital didnt make any rule forcing the attending to supervise intubations.

Someone said it somewhere else, but the gray coat needs to make a comeback.

A little internet search and I found out that:
"Doctors first wore white coats in the late 19th century when science began to make significant inroads into medicine and physicians adopted the laboratory coat as their own."

The field of medicine coveted the white coat, why get upset when another field covets from them.

On a personal note, I totally agree that it seems that everyone is wearing a long white coat, but why fret it?

Who cares what you look like from afar? Once you get up close to a patient, colleague, RT, RN, whoever; and exude professionalism, no one will question your status.

Just my 2 cents.

Who cares what you look like from afar?

Because it confuses patients and blurs the line between ancillary providers and physicians, especially in crisis situations (e.g., codes) where people responding may not immediately know the distinctions.

-copro

Because it confuses patients and blurs the line between ancillary providers and physicians, especially in crisis situations (e.g., codes) where people responding may not immediately know the distinctions.

-copro

Hospital employees don't know how to respond to codes? Once a physician shows up, who has the authority? The person with the white coat or the doctor?

Hospital employees don't know how to respond to codes? Once a physician shows up, who has the authority? The person with the white coat or the doctor?

Exactly my point. Not to sound too arrogant, but I can run a code better than 99% of the people who respond. I'm sure that most gassers have a similar opinion. And, I'm rarely wearing a whitecoat when I show up.

-copro

Exactly my point. Not to sound too arrogant, but I can run a code better than 99% of the people who respond. I'm sure that most gassers have a similar opinion. And, I'm rarely wearing a whitecoat when I show up.

-copro

That's exactly my point. You're not wearing a white coat and you step up to the plate.

I've always been a rebel.

Oooorah!!!

I'm a physician.

Anesthesiologists are experiencing an ambiguity phase, what with the AANA graying the picture, with people on the phone saying "ARE YOU ANESTHESIA?" "no, anesthesia is that liquid in the yellow-sevoflurane bottle, dickhole."

I am Dr. Jet.

MD.

What I have tried to do recently, and it would be cool if you all would also (maybe we can get a real trend going) is to introduce myself as such -- "Hi. I am doctor X. I will be your physician doing your anesthesia" or something like that but more eloquent. Many people can claim (and rightfully so) to be a doctor, and more and more will become part of the profession and hospital environment, but it is the rare few that can say they are a physician.

The white coat matters.

I agree :thumbup:

A little internet search and I found out that:
"Doctors first wore white coats in the late 19th century when science began to make significant inroads into medicine and physicians adopted the laboratory coat as their own."

The field of medicine coveted the white coat, why get upset when another field covets from them.

On a personal note, I totally agree that it seems that everyone is wearing a long white coat, but why fret it?

Who cares what you look like from afar? Once you get up close to a patient, colleague, RT, RN, whoever; and exude professionalism, no one will question your status.

Just my 2 cents.
You cannot stop... I see again from your post that you don't have a clear idea who's who...Jeez- the system is going down. We - THE MD-s are not colleagues with nurses, crna-s(still nurses) and other para stuff. WE are their chiefs! We don't negociate, ask for second opinion and so on. I know that's hard and I am with you beeing very kind and compassionate. Some dreams dear, are only dreams. If you want to go to a School of Medicine and a Residency in Anesthesia (maybe a fellowship after) I will be glad to give advise. Regards, 2win

You cannot stop... I see again from your post that you don't have a clear idea who's who...Jeez- the system is going down. We - THE MD-s are not colleagues with nurses, crna-s(still nurses) and other para stuff. WE are their chiefs! We don't negociate, ask for second opinion and so on. I know that's hard and I am with you beeing very kind and compassionate. Some dreams dear, are only dreams. If you want to go to a School of Medicine and a Residency in Anesthesia (maybe a fellowship after) I will be glad to give advise. Regards, 2win

When I said colleagues, I meant physicians. Not all physicians wear white coats. I worked in a private hospital for 6 years, rarely did I see a physician wear a white coat. The mid-levels actually were the ones in a white coat most of the time.

It's notoriously known that pediatricians rarely wear white coats, are they less of a physician?

Did it matter? Not really...the expertise of the physician mattered. A person shouldn't rely on the white coat to define who you are; personality, quality of care, and knowledge and the professionlism one conveys are what's important. Your reputation as a physician spreads pretty fast in a hospital.

"You cannot stop", what's this supposed to mean? I rarely post and I'm rarely confrontational...just stating an opinion.

Thanks for your offer for advice on how to get into med school and match into a residency. I'm graduating this friday and have all ready matched in Anesthesia. Any other advice on residency or pt care would be welcome.

jpp, what does your sig mean?

JPP's a busy guy and we both have a love of airplanes and flying. I hope he doesn't mind my answering for him here.

MOISANT TOWER, CHEYENNE TWO-ONE-TWO-HOTEL-HOTEL, WITH YOU ILS ONE-ZERO, GOOD EVENING.. means the following:

Moisant Tower means JPP is calling on his airplane radio to the air traffic control tower at New Orleans International / Louis Armstrong Airport which was previously named Moisant Airfield.

Cheyenne Two One Two Hotel Hotel is JPP identifying himself to the tower. He's flying a model of airplane known as a Cheyenne, whose tail number is 212HH.

With you ILS ONE ZERO means JPP is homing on the Instrument Landing System for runway 10. Homing signals are being received on JPP's dashboard guiding him to a proper alignment and glideslope with the runway, versus relying solely on visual cues seen through the windshield.

I'm 1/100th the pilot JPP is.

JPP's a busy guy and we both have a love of airplanes and flying. I hope he doesn't mind my answering for him here.

MOISANT TOWER, CHEYENNE TWO-ONE-TWO-HOTEL-HOTEL, WITH YOU ILS ONE-ZERO, GOOD EVENING.. means the following:

Moisant Tower means JPP is calling on his airplane radio to the air traffic control tower at New Orleans International / Louis Armstrong Airport which was previously named Moisant Airfield.

Cheyenne Two One Two Hotel Hotel is JPP identifying himself to the tower. He's flying a model of airplane known as a Cheyenne, whose tail number is 212HH.

With you ILS ONE ZERO means JPP is homing on the Instrument Landing System for runway 10. Homing signals are being received on JPP's dashboard guiding him to a proper alignment and glideslope with the runway, versus relying solely on visual cues seen through the windshield.

Cool, thanks. :)

I hope to someday be even half to pilot you or JPP are. I'm VFR, high performance, complex right now. Once I'm done with the next 8 years I have to get IFR and maybe multi.

I hope to someday be even half to pilot you or JPP are. I'm VFR, high performance, complex right now. Once I'm done with the next 8 years I have to get IFR and maybe multi.

I think black coats would be totally badass.

Unfortunately, the historical connotation of black coats would probably prevent this. Medical students used to wear black coats in the anatomy lab to show respect for the dead who devoted their earthly vessels to science and education.

If we were to walk into a patient's room wearing a black coat, the more superstitious/drug-addled folks would probably figure their appointment with the grim reaper was finally here.

The issue of professional dress has been nagging me as well; Most recently another reminder this evening.

As I was exiting the hospital and walked past the waiting room lounge, I saw two members of my patient's family. I walked over to inform them of some important details I wanted to share regarding the epidural, findings I'd incidentally noted on ultrasound (clotted RIJ) and about the patient having done well and being in recovery. As I was speaking, I noticed the mother of the patient (elderly woman) was preoccupied entirely with my casual dress and baseball cap and clearly not paying any attention to what I was saying. There was also a slight look of disdain. My youthful appearance likewise doesn't often instill confidence in the "older" patients either and I'd already gotten the look when I preopped the patient. Additionally, just yesterday I got the "how many times have you done this?" and "how many times do you do this in a day?" when I'd finished going over the risks/benefits of a spinal.

Anyways, I've begun more and more to understand it does our profession bad PR in not ascribing to professional dress. If the surgeons can come to work in tie and sport coat or suit, then I suppose I can do the same (despite not having clinic or rounds). The worst part will be it'll take longer to get ready in the morning, and longer to jet out of the hospital at the end of the day, but I can see how aside from patients and hospital staff, hospital administrators/CEO's (the epitome of professional dress snobs... well aside from lawyers perhaps) may also take our lack of professional dress to be somehow indicative of lesser standing, authority and deserving of respect. It's stupid, but that's how the world runs.

To think, I was so thankful I'd never have to wear a tie to work again...

The issue of professional dress has been nagging me as well; Most recently another reminder this evening.

As I was exiting the hospital and walked past the waiting room lounge, I saw two members of my patient's family. I walked over to inform them of some important details I wanted to share regarding the epidural, findings I'd incidentally noted on ultrasound (clotted RIJ) and about the patient having done well and being in recovery. As I was speaking, I noticed the mother of the patient (elderly woman) was preoccupied entirely with my casual dress and baseball cap and clearly not paying any attention to what I was saying. There was also a slight look of disdain. My youthful appearance likewise doesn't often instill confidence in the "older" patients either and I'd already gotten the look when I preopped the patient. Additionally, just yesterday I got the "how many times have you done this?" and "how many times do you do this in a day?" when I'd finished going over the risks/benefits of a spinal.

Anyways, I've begun more and more to understand it does our profession bad PR in not ascribing to professional dress. If the surgeons can come to work in tie and sport coat or suit, then I suppose I can do the same (despite not having clinic or rounds). The worst part will be it'll take longer to get ready in the morning, and longer to jet out of the hospital at the end of the day, but I can see how aside from patients and hospital staff, hospital administrators/CEO's (the epitome of professional dress snobs... well aside from lawyers perhaps) may also take our lack of professional dress to be somehow indicative of lesser standing, authority and deserving of respect. It's stupid, but that's how the world runs.

To think, I was so thankful I'd never have to wear a tie to work again...
You don't need a tie to look professional. A reasonably pressed shirt and a pair of khaki pants that don't spend the night in a heap on the floor will get you pretty far. If you leave the baseball cap in the car, you can probably get by with some deck shoes. Leave your ID on your belt loop as well.;)
The only thing that the white coat is good for on me is to catch the falling coffee.