The White Coat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You don't need a tie to look professional. A reasonably pressed shirt and a pair of khaki pants that don't spend the night in a heap on the floor will get you pretty far.

Yeah, from the tee to #18.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, from the tee to #18.
This guy was talking about running into a patient's family on the way out of the hospital. Business casual is fine for coming and going. If you've got to see a patient pre or post op, or if you have a meeting with "the front office" folks the white coat would be more professional, or even a jacket and tie.:eek:
business-casual.gif

Perhaps the lesson here is that one's hospital escape route shouldn't include passing through the waiting room, visitor's parking lot, or front lobby. :D

Scrubs and a white coat with a 2-letter degree clearly printed on it are absolutely appropriate for talking to patients and family before or after. I'd kind of feel like a tool running into the family dressed like a landscape architect or sanitation engineer though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps the lesson here is that one's hospital escape route shouldn't include passing through the waiting room, visitor's parking lot, or front lobby. :D

Scrubs and a white coat with a 2-letter degree clearly printed on it are absolutely appropriate for talking to patients and family before or after. I'd kind of feel like a tool running into the family dressed like a landscape architect or sanitation engineer though.

I always feel terrible when I get relieved for lunch shortly after starting a case, and I see the family in the caf. This is just minutes after I've told them I will be taking good care of their loved one. Yeah. While eating a slice of pepperoni pizza and a Coke.

I always feel terrible when I get relieved for lunch shortly after starting a case, and I see the family in the caf. This is just minutes after I've told them I will be taking good care of their loved one. Yeah. While eating a slice of pepperoni pizza and a Coke.

Yeah. That's awkward. :laugh:

Used to be I always brought my own lunch and it wasn't an issue; but recently I started working at a place that provides doctors with free all-you-can-eat access to the cafeteria. This includes the ice cream freezer so it's a risk I've come to accept ... sometimes multiple times per day.

I'd kind of feel like a tool running into the family dressed like a landscape architect or sanitation engineer though.

Well, hell, I've got to get to my second job, ya know...