The White Coat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Yeah, from the tee to #18.
This guy was talking about running into a patient's family on the way out of the hospital. Business casual is fine for coming and going. If you've got to see a patient pre or post op, or if you have a meeting with "the front office" folks the white coat would be more professional, or even a jacket and tie.😱
business-casual.gif
 
Perhaps the lesson here is that one's hospital escape route shouldn't include passing through the waiting room, visitor's parking lot, or front lobby. 😀

Scrubs and a white coat with a 2-letter degree clearly printed on it are absolutely appropriate for talking to patients and family before or after. I'd kind of feel like a tool running into the family dressed like a landscape architect or sanitation engineer though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Perhaps the lesson here is that one's hospital escape route shouldn't include passing through the waiting room, visitor's parking lot, or front lobby. 😀

Scrubs and a white coat with a 2-letter degree clearly printed on it are absolutely appropriate for talking to patients and family before or after. I'd kind of feel like a tool running into the family dressed like a landscape architect or sanitation engineer though.



I always feel terrible when I get relieved for lunch shortly after starting a case, and I see the family in the caf. This is just minutes after I've told them I will be taking good care of their loved one. Yeah. While eating a slice of pepperoni pizza and a Coke.
 
I always feel terrible when I get relieved for lunch shortly after starting a case, and I see the family in the caf. This is just minutes after I've told them I will be taking good care of their loved one. Yeah. While eating a slice of pepperoni pizza and a Coke.

Yeah. That's awkward. :laugh:

Used to be I always brought my own lunch and it wasn't an issue; but recently I started working at a place that provides doctors with free all-you-can-eat access to the cafeteria. This includes the ice cream freezer so it's a risk I've come to accept ... sometimes multiple times per day.
 
I'd kind of feel like a tool running into the family dressed like a landscape architect or sanitation engineer though.

Well, hell, I've got to get to my second job, ya know...