They're scaring me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedAdAG

I am so smart. S-M-R-T :)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay.. so this should be in the MCAT discussions board, but holy crap.. some of those people are really intimidating.. it's like if they don't score a 35 or higher, the seams of their pants will bust! I'm wondering if other pre-DOers have any advice for me on MCAT day. This is the second time I've taken it and I'm still a little worried. Mainly because my verbal score is in the 7-8 range. Any encouragement or advice on how to avoid these people.. they just make me more nervous!!! Thanks all!

Christine

PS: I came to this board because I'm pre-DO and feel more comfortable here than in the MCAT or pre-allopathic boards.. so I guess that's my motivation for putting this post here instead of there.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, many of those in the other forums are not so tactful for different reasons. You're sort of answering your question---avoiding people who are neurotic and such. Don't let anyone get you down; at least you don't leave with them.....like a spouse----story of my life. :(

hang in there...those people are everywhere and darn annoying too. a lot of times they don't even do that well, so just ignore them. i usually tune them out. if you're pre DO and you get around a 27 you'll be fine...in the 30's and you're golden...at least that's the impression I've gotten.

as for verbal, well, i just studied by doing a lot of exercises and reading a lot of magazines and books. the more you read the more it kind of comes natural i guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are some of the tips that Kaplan?s review book gives for preparing for Verbal Reasoning.

1. Read actively?pay attention to structure. Identify the main idea and keep it in mind. Make a note beside each paragraph summarizing (briefly!) what that paragraph was about. They call this making a mental map.
2. There are 6 question types: Main Idea, Detail, Inference, Application, Tone, and Logic. Most questions will be Inference, Application, or Detail questions. Don?t worry about remembering details. You can refer back to the passage.
3. You don?t have to do passages in order. Start with the easiest one or the one with the most questions. This way you will maximize points. You usually won?t save time by scanning the questions first and it may draw your attention away from the passage.
4. Know the purpose of the details, not the details themselves. Look for structural keywords to help you anticipate new ideas. Examples of structural key words are: ?although, however, but? when showing contrast or ?also, further, moreover? when continuing an argument.
5. Check the citation at the end of the passage for clues to content or tone. For example, is the passage from an art magazine? It may be written by an art critic. Is the author critical or the subject or supportive?

On the Questions:
1. Make sure you know the main idea of the passage. Wrong answer choices will often distort or reverse the main point. If you can eliminate wrong answers, you increase your chances of getting the right answer.
2. Look back at the passage to clarify details. Answer the questions based on the passage, not on outside knowledge.
3. And, finally, if you don?t know an answer or you run out of time?GUESS!

I do not use all of these techniques myself because I think I have found a ?groove? for doing this section of the test and I have always done well. I can tell you that eliminating wrong choices is one of the best things you can do for yourself. Also, underlining or making notes in the margin helps to keep your brain focused on what you are reading?especially on dull passages!

It is true that the MCAT focuses a lot on the structure of passages. You need to understand why an author makes a particular point. Don?t assume that anything is unimportant. Details are given to support a point in some way. So you need to ask yourself, ?how does this support the main idea of the passage (or the paragraph)??

Now, we have a few more days before we have to tackle this beast again. Use that time to practice reading passages and applying those tips! I know they seem daunting. Kaplan actually had more, but I tried to condense it to the ones I thought were most important and easiest to implement.

Good luck.

Willow

Just to put you at ease. I took it in april and was worried about the same thing. I am very interested in DO so I was aiming for a 27. I got just below that and feel I still have a great chance of getting in...I hope. My score on the MCAT was exactly the same as my last two practice tests (Kaplan), so maybe you can judge yourself through that.

dont worry so much about your score.....take it from me: 24 MCAT, 3.1 gpa.......LECOM MSIII, beat the national mean on the COMLEX I, excelling in clinicals, both in Shelfs and evaluations.
stomper

Thanks guys.. everyone in this forum is so nice and encouraging!!!
I got a 23 last time.. and I've been scoring so far

Diag 1 21 7V, 6P, 8B
Diag 2 22 7V, 6P, 9B
Diag 3 25 8V, 8P, 9B
AAMC 5 25 8V, 8P, 9B
AAMC 6 30 9V, 10P, 11B
AAMC 4 29 7V, 10P, 12B
(a little worried about the verbal.. but what the hell.. I'll just give it my best shot!)

So, I'm aiming for a 27 too... thanks for the support, I feel better already!!!

I found that the last practice MCAT I took was exactly the score I ended up getting on the MCAT. So if that is the case with you you will definitely hit your 27. Don't freak out about it - you'll do fine. I think not freaking out is the biggest thing you need to do to do well!! (And you made a good move by coming over here for advice and not to the pre-allo board :D)

Good luck!