Hey folks,
I've gotta say, I love this thread. It's taken me awhile but I've read the whole thing and I think I have some contributions. (More all the time!) I'm a patient transporter, so not necessarily 100% in the ED, but I've learned some interesting things nonetheless.
I was sent to the children's hospital to pick up a 9 y.o. boy who, without missing a beat, asked to "ride the stretcher like a surfboard" and then, despite the best efforts of his mother and myself proceeded to attempt to, then figuree out how to put the sides of the stretcher down and started monkeying with those while his mother said "Sweety, don't do that..." but didn't even try to stop him. I figured it would be futile anyway; the kid could be likened to the energizer bunny on crack.

I was new, so I didn't know what unit (B5) was. When we get there, the bold letters above the door spelling "PEDS SEDATION" were a message of salvation.
Mom and I looked at each other and smiled.
"I think this is the place." I said.
"Thank GOD."

I hope Mom got some rest after Jr. got his shot of somethin' good.
If you're in your late 60s, have some apparent dementia, and have just had a pretty radical back surgery done by a surgeon who is well known for being very talented, it's perfectly acceptable to not take care of your surgical dressings and not allow your wife to, either. When you wake up one morning and cannot get up despite having been out and about "the day before" feel free to call EMS. When you get to the ED and explain you've seen your doc "a couple days ago and were fine" we will have doubts. Further, when your transporter takes you for a CT, it's TOTALLY acceptable to fight with her and the CT techs when they're trying to get you onto the table because now your dementia is kicking in high gear and/or you are pretending not to understand that you need to get onto the "couch" for the CT. You're making it kind of apparent that if anything "hurt" at all, you wouldn't do it and wouldn't let your wife do it, either. This includes all cleaning and/or maintenance of said surgical site.
The CT will show a 'hole' of abscess and necrotic tissue around said vertebrae. Even more charming is the wet spot left on my stretcher that wasn't any of the usual bodily fluids. It's going to trouble your transporter that you're leaking that much pus on her stretcher. Transferring you back to the stretcher we'll get a sneak peek at that hole in person, and it'll be every bit as horrible as it was in the CT.
Of course all of this will be *my* fault because *I* had to take you to CT and hit "all those bumps" in the hallway.
...and of course I will be the transporter to take you to your room on the neural ward. Your wife will try to laugh it off when you attempt to sit up and point at her saying "She's that bitch! Sadist!" Oh no, Sir, choosing to deal with you again is masochism at its finest.
🙄
If you're a dreadlocked rasta dude whose friends are visiting you and everyone smells pretty strongly of pot in the room, it really isn't ok to offer me some "kind bud" for being so gentle with you and your traction equipment. It's even less ok to try to sneak it into my patient info binder. I don't *keep* those things, you know.
🙄😛
If I'm harried and
running a huge box marked "Human Blood" to the ED "STAT" DO NOT have all your kids swamp me and start asking questions about blood and stuff, mm'kay?
I don't care how long you've been NPO, we are NOT stopping for coffee.
I was taking a young man for pelvis X-rays. I just knew he had multiple pelvic fx so I was taking it easy on him. Once we get down to radiology, he looks at me in this sort of morphine induced sincerity and says "I just want you to know, "that" (he points at the sizeable hardware tent in his sheets) is just external fixations... uhhhh I'm not *that* uhhhh happy to see you.... but you are really, really, really pretty."
😳😛I knew about the ex. fixations, and hadn't 'noticed' at all, but I thanked him for the compliment anyway.
🙄