"Things I learn" & "Medicine Sucks" discussion thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did once hear of a story out of Newark where a public bus had a minor fender bender and about 40 people showed up at the local ER to cash in (presumably on lawsuits, I never heard of the cash award thing before). The police showed up and took detailed reports from all of the patients then charged them with fraud. The bus had been out of service. There were no passengers on it at the time of the accicent.

Win! :D

Members don't see this ad.

iHollered out loud forreal!! Hilarious!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Here's another one from my early Medic days:
I was in the ER again (they were busy and we in the ICU weren't) when i got a young, dependent wife with a c/o "pain all over".
Me: Please show me where it hurts.
Pt.: touches her abd. and screams in pain.
Me: does it hurt anywhere else?
Pt. touches opposite arm and screams in pain.
Me:(hmmmmm) anywhere else?
Pt.: touches legs, side, back etc, with same result, lots of pain.
Me: (to the Dr.)- I think you need to see this.
Hours later, with mult. tests done and consults (Neuro, Int. Med., Ortho) she was diagnosed with..................

Wait for it....................................

A fractured 1st MP !!!!!!
:eek::eek::eek:

If you are an experienced EM physician, you can still slice your hand open when cutting a steak. Then, go to work, trying to stop the bleeding, and be blasé about the soaked Band-Aid, then the bleeding around the steri-strips, and other failing attempts at hemostasis. Finally, 13 hours after the injury, pushing the limits for primary closure, Dermabond the whole damn wound up.

Doctors make the worst patients as we disregard most things that are not life-threatening and justify everything to be benign.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are an experienced EM physician, you can still slice your hand open when cutting a steak. Then, go to work, trying to stop the bleeding, and be blasé about the soaked Band-Aid, then the bleeding around the steri-strips, and other failing attempts at hemostasis. Finally, 13 hours after the injury, pushing the limits for primary closure, Dermabond the whole damn wound up.

This would be why I have my own personal supply of dermabond in the kitchen junk drawer, along with a ridiculous number of steri-strips (the latter mostly used for repairing inorganic objects like my bike lights). Cheers,
M
:D

Obviously not one of mine... but I'm sure you've all dealt with similar things...

Close friend of mine, out on her front lawn on christmas morning. Woman comes driving down the street - is high, thinks my friend is standing in the middle of the road, swerves INTO her, pinning her against a tree.

She was 39 weeks pregnant. Baby didn't make it :(

That's awful... Yes, many of us have dealt with such tragedies at work and/or in our personal lives, but it doesn't make it any less horrible.

I would totally be able to say "cancer" if it happened to me or to any of my loved ones. Cancer killed my mother, after all.

But when it comes to our cats, Kittendaddy and I have clung to hope when there probably wasn't any. We probably misheard what the vets said even though I try to be pragmatic. We've done radioactive iodine ($5000!!! - and he died anyway), chemotherapy ($50 per month for four years, and she died last year which is actually pretty good... I mean, not good that she died, but that she exceeded the vets' expectations), and all kinds of weird diets, meds, and everything else you can imagine (echocardiogram: $500 per month for four months... and then he died from feline HCM anyway).

Even now, we have a cat who we took in as a "temporary" foster cat that we ended up keeping who tested FIV+ on the instant read test twice now*, but he's scheduled to see our vet on the 20th for extensive blood work to rule out absolutely FIV. Even though we know it's pretty much a given. But we've been feeding him $$$ cat food that promises to strengthen immune response, guys! :thumbup:

Yeah, I know. Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

*Yes, he's isolated from the rest of our cats. We're not entirely stupid, you know. :p

http://www.theonion.com/articles/study-us-pets-healthcare-better-than-rwandan-human,492/

I did once hear of a story out of Newark where a public bus had a minor fender bender and about 40 people showed up at the local ER to cash in (presumably on lawsuits, I never heard of the cash award thing before). The police showed up and took detailed reports from all of the patients then charged them with fraud. The bus had been out of service. There were no passengers on it at the time of the accicent.

Epic. Freaking. Win.

Seriously? I can't imagine spending that much money on a cat. Probably better to just have them put down. Chemotherapy for a cat? That is incredible.

Veterinarian transitioning to human medicine here. What's so incredible about it? A lot of treatments that are used on humans have been pioneered on animals. Which, of course, is not the only reason to do those procedures on animals...who have a worth of their own quite independent of their existence as someone's pet.

You can't imagine spending that much money on a cat? Fine, that's your choice. But to make a blanket statement that it's probably better just to have them put down...not very compassionate.

You can't imagine spending that much money on a cat? Fine, that's your choice. But to make a blanket statement that it's probably better just to have them put down...not very compassionate.

$20K for a kidney transplant for a cat at UC-Davis? Millions of cats in shelters, where you can adopt for $50? And, as you are transitioning to human medicine, have you ever seen a human with cancer getting chemo? If you want compassion, that ain't it. MANY patients choose to just expire with their cancer, instead of suffering the indignity and torture of certain types of chemo - the "cure" is only differentially less horrible than the disease.

Kittenmom, we had an FIV positive cat for 6 years-she did not infest anyone else and while she did not have a long life, she had a good one.

Kittenmom, we had an FIV positive cat for 6 years-she did not infest anyone else and while she did not have a long life, she had a good one.

That's good to know. So far, Sammy is incredibly healthy. We're keeping our fingers crossed! :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I swear to you that I am not trying to be mean or rude but I want to understand. I love cats and dogs, and I give mine all the needed vaccinations and I try my best to keep them healthy. I feel terrible if I see a fly suffering before it dies, let alone a cat or a dog. BUT, there are children in the world and even in this country, sometimes just couple of miles from us are suffering and are in pain and do not have any help. What makes it worse for the children is that they know they are suffering, they have the intellect to understand in every cell of their body the emotional and physical pain. As for animals, they feel they are in pain, they may look you in the eye, but they are saying to anyone they are in pain, but that is it. Their brains, and intellect are very primitive (I do not know if this is the right word, but you know what I mean).
I know some cultures eat cats, because what is the difference between a cat and a rabbit?
But, I do not have the heart to spend lots of money on animals when my fellow humans are suffering, and probably some can live if they were offered "Fancy Feast" , but even that in African countries they do not have it.
So how come you have this great love for cats? Where did it stem from?
I truly want to learn!

To be honest, I think it is weird, and in a way, sick.

If it was up to me, I would put some sort of arbitrary limit on medical procedures for pets, call it 1000, and automatically adjust it for inflation.

Any major procedure over that wouldnt be illegal, but would be taxed at 100%, and the money given to local/state free clinics or childrens hospitals.

Sure, if you want to spend 10000 on a cat, go ahead, but you will be assessed a tax of another 10K, and that will go to a human.

Reactions: 1 user
So far off topic. This was an interesting "I need to vent about the terrible things I have to deal with in medicine." Now it's "I love my cat." I'd rather not see this thread die like that.

So how come you have this great love for cats? Where did it stem from?
I truly want to learn!

Our cats (and our beagle) are more than "pets" to us. They're our children, and we treat them accordingly. They're little lives that we're responsible for, and since we took on that responsibility, they deserve the best lives we can give them.

None of us can save everyone. There are so many sad things in this world, and no one can address all of them. I can't save every cat on the street, and you can't save every child. But we do what we can to make our little corner of the world a better place to be. :oops:

So far off topic. This was an interesting "I need to vent about the terrible things I have to deal with in medicine." Now it's "I love my cat." I'd rather not see this thread die like that.

I agree with Jbar. Can we please end the "medical care for cats" discussion and continue the initial focus of this thread. Those of you that want to argue about cats, dogs, rodents, and whatever else pets you have and their care can start their own thread.

I will not let this thread die as well.

I agree with Jbar. Can we please end the "medical care for cats" discussion and continue the initial focus of this thread. Those of you that want to argue about cats, dogs, rodents, and whatever else pets you have and their care can start their own thread.

I will not let this thread die as well.

I too agree.

I thought the moderators were going to move these kinds of topics to the "Things I learned from my patients DISCUSSION THREAD". The cat lady and her friends have nearly killed one of the funniest SDN threads.

Of course, I guess I am not helping with this post. :smuggrin:
Sorry.
Thanks, HH

I don't think this thread is dying at all. For a great thread to last this long and have a few random off-topic tangents is part of the inevitability of something lasting this long. Then again, I don't know why kittenmommy brought up the cat things in the first place when it clearly had no purpose in this type of thread.

docB had 4 great recent posts, like the one below:

24 yo M come in with chest pain. :rolleyes: right? Wrong. CXR shows a huge mediastinum. CT Chest reveals football sized mediastinal mass. Bad news. Nice, polite kid but typical macho 24 yo. Didn't cry when I said the C word but shed some tears. Mom took a deep breath and asked what the plan was. Some of those ghetto moms are just so strong from all the **** life dumps on them. And all this in a bed in the hallway. I so wished I could toss one of the Dilaudid seekers out on their ass so I could get this kid and his family into a room.

A scary thing about this case, the kid had been to another ER 3 months prior with the same thing. He said he was told the CXR was normal then and he was treated for bronchitis and everything got better (he probably got some roids which makes sense). Any one of us would have treated him the same. It probably wasn't even a "miss." The CXR probably was normal. Scary.

It's amazing about the myriad people responding to different situations with different responses. It must've been hard for the family to be caught in a bad situation, but I find the mother's proactiveness amazing.

At any rate, keep up the stories while I put off studying for immuno tomorrow :(

Well, I think this falls under the category of "suck".

A very nice lady who used to teach with my mom just found out that her cancer is back.

It's uterine.

And it's metastasized to her spine, her liver, and I want to say her gallbladder (I know there was another spot, but it's not coming to me right now).

She beat the cancer into remission once, but her doctor is not giving her good odds.

So, this nice lady, who has three kids, is a wonderful teacher and a sweet person? Her odds of survival suck. And yet, the trashtastic drug dealer who is shot six times in center mass will pull through with no complications whatsoever.

Its all in the game.

25_omar_lgl.jpg

$20K for a kidney transplant for a cat at UC-Davis? Millions of cats in shelters, where you can adopt for $50? And, as you are transitioning to human medicine, have you ever seen a human with cancer getting chemo? If you want compassion, that ain't it. MANY patients choose to just expire with their cancer, instead of suffering the indignity and torture of certain types of chemo - the "cure" is only differentially less horrible than the disease.

I know you guys wanted to steer off the animals... but I just wanted to say... animals actually cope really, really well with chemo compared to humans. We don't need as high doses to achieve remission - and realistically, you generally only need a max 5 year remission for them to live out the natural term of life and die of old age. The experience is completely different. I interned with a veterinary oncologist and at the start of the week I asked him "don't you find it so depressing that all your patients are so sick?" And he said, "i dont see them as sick - I just see them as animals with cancer." Less than 10% suffer from severe nausea, hairloss, weightloss etc after chemo - most have a flat day, but some have no negative effects at all. Really remarkable.

Last edited:
I know you guys wanted to steer off the animals... but I just wanted to say... animals actually cope really, really well with chemo compared to humans. We don't need as high doses to achieve remission - and realistically, you generally only need a max 5 year remission for them to live out the natural term of life and die of old age. The experience is completely different. I interned with a veterinary oncologist and at the start of the week I asked him "don't you find it so depressing that all your patients are so sick?" And he said, "i dont see them as sick - I just see them as animals with cancer." Less than 10% suffer from severe nausea, hairloss, weightloss etc after chemo - most have a flat day, but some have no negative effects at all. Really remarkable.

I'm just curious, how would you know if a cat or dog is suffering from severe nausea or is feeling dizzy or is in mild pain? It's not like they can come to you and tell you their chief complain or ROS. How do you know that the cat is having NO negative effects or he's just lying there. The cat can be having horrible nausea, dizziness, pain, dysphagia, etc. and just be lying there. But, that's why we have vets, as they know more than me.

I'm just curious, how would you know if a cat or dog is suffering from severe nausea or is feeling dizzy or is in mild pain? It's not like they can come to you and tell you their chief complain or ROS. How do you know that the cat is having NO negative effects or he's just lying there. The cat can be having horrible nausea, dizziness, pain, dysphagia, etc. and just be lying there. But, that's why we have vets, as they know more than me.

Well, if they're throwing up all over the place, they probably have nausea. ;)

Seriously, though, if one knows one's pet well, it's not hard to tell if the pet is having discomfort. If the pet stops eating and isn't even tempted by favorite foods/treats, s/he probably has nausea or just isn't feeling very well.

If the pet is lying in one spot and shows a reluctance to get up, there's obviously something wrong. Pain? Maybe. Coax the animal to his/her feet and get him/her to walk. If the pet cries out, there's probably pain. If the pet is wobbly and unsteady, s/he is probably dizzy.

I'm no vet, and this is just off the top of my head. Hopefully a vet will show up and elaborate on this.

Its all in the game.

25_omar_lgl.jpg

I'm beginning to think that those of you who talk about how a patient's survival chances are inversely proportional to their value to society are dead on.

here's one from accross the pond...

An unconscious 30-year-old man was brought to the ER by ambulance. His girlfriend had found him lying naked on the floor of his bathroom and called 911. In the ER, he was found to have a large lump on the top of his head and, strangely, several scratches on his scrotum. The doctors figured the lump was possibly caused by a fall or a knock to the head. However the source of the scratches remained a mystery until he woke up and provided the doctors with the following explanation. He said he had been cleaning his bathtub while naked, kneeling on the floor beside the tub. His cat, apparently transfixed by the rhythmic swaying of his scrotum, lunged forward, sinking its claws into this pendulous target. This caused the man to rocket upward, striking his head on the top frame of the shower door.

I'm a retired radiographer, who spent many years doing ER work in England. I joined just so I could post a True Version(tm) of this tale, which I was a witness to.

One dank and dreary November evening in oh, 1975 or so, a young man (late 20s early 30s -- I don't remember exactly) was brought into the A&S department of $LargeTeachingHospital on the south bank of the Thames in London. He was suffering from hypothermia, concussion, a broken wrist, and a lacerated penis.

Fortunately for him, the lacerations were pretty superficial.

He worked nights. His roommates worked days. Their flat had a long hallway with a step down about 2/3 of the way along (he lived near my gran -- I knew the exact layout of the flat). His room was up, the phone was down -- at the far end of the hallway, past the step. Not long after he'd gone to bed, the phone rang. He jumped up to answer it, and ran naked down the hallway. The cat was sitting on a chair near the step and made a swipe at the dangly bits as they went by. He jumped, hit his head on the ceiling and as he fell onto his oustretched arm (Colles #), he hit his head a second time on the corner of a book case. He then lay on the floor in the unheated hallway for several hours unconscious and concussed until his roommates came home. They called 999 and the ambulance brought him to us.

He made a complete recovery, and when I saw him a couple of weeks later at the fracture clinic, he told me he'd even forgiven the cat, so she survived as well.

So, while the version originally posted might be of urban legend quality, it is indeed founded in truth -- I was there.

I've learned that setting an LP tray and approaching the patient with a spinal needle more often than not will miraculously cure someone's new onset paraplegia.

This goes along with approaching a male patient with a 24F foley in order to get a urine sample. Works like a charm :laugh:

:roflcopter: ^awesome!

I got another one:

When the peds ER is so busy that there is a 17 person waitlist, please make sure to get in with your daughter who is having severe lower right quadrant pain and make sure to call the doctor a nurse. When the doctor tells you she is not a nurse and is, in fact, a doctor, tell her that you meant ME, because "that one there is in training, so he must be a nurse". I completely forgot that med students have to be nurses before they are doctors...my fault.

Once the doctor corrects you again, definitely get all huffy and start yelling loudly about how you are being disrespected and insult the doctor at every turn ("if you dont get the IV right on the first try, we're leaving!"). Threaten us with going to another hospital every time we pass your room....not with a white count of 17 you're not!

Your forgetting something important! You, the doctor, sees the patient, puts in orders. Fast foward 3 hours later, labs are back, pt is back from CT and has recieved meds and fluids, the mom will stand up and loudly exclaim that she has been here 3 hours and her daughter hasn't seen a doctor yet!

Yeah, because I typically order CT scans with the triage protocols :rolleyes:

Your forgetting something important! You, the doctor, sees the patient, puts in orders. Fast foward 3 hours later, labs are back, pt is back from CT and has recieved meds and fluids, the mom will stand up and loudly exclaim that she has been here 3 hours and her daughter hasn't seen a doctor yet!

Yeah, because I typically order CT scans with the triage protocols :rolleyes:

Well everyone knows that every doctor should have all the labs done in 30 minutes while handling 20 patients, giving a perfect diagnosis, serving them coffee, and juggling chainsaws...

Well everyone knows that every doctor should have all the labs done in 30 minutes while handling 20 patients, giving a perfect diagnosis, serving them coffee, and juggling chainsaws...

I mean, don't they wonder how all of these meds or tests happened? on top of your 30 pts u are a "bad" doc because u didn't order a tray of food for them and all the visitors.

If a very irrational psych patient approaches you at the desk and screams "I AM DISABLED-LOOKING" - do not, under any circumstances, say "I know."

Yep.

Also? When your psych patient pharmacy delivery customer says things to you that would cause most people to make a face like this one: :eek: ? As in, "With hair that red, your husband must be a happy man....aren't all redheads firecrackers in bed? That's what I've heard."

The best response? Is not to make that face. Nor does it do you any good to say, "That's none of your damn business." They don't even hear it. I swear to you, our resident nutcase sure as hell didn't hear, "That's none of your business," when I said it to her.

*sigh*

These days? I just keep a straight face. And ignore, ignore, ignore.

Apparently the type of hidden microchip that the aliens and/or government conspiracy implant in you are not the right frequency to show up on the scanner that we scan pets with.

Well, DUH! I mean, what kind of aliens/conspirators would they be if they used technology that could be easily found by one's local vet? :p

If you're want to kill yourself by taking a bunch of your mother's pills, make sure they're not the multivitamins...

Iron overdose can be a nasty way to go...

If you're want to kill yourself by taking a bunch of your mother's pills, make sure they're not the multivitamins...

Or even better, make sure they're not homeopathic pills like Billy Joel's daughter tried to use. The biggest risk from taking too many homeopathic remedies is drowning.

If you are an inmate who had decided to undertake a suicidal gesture by hanging yourself with wound up towels make sure they're not paper towels. Should you forsake this advice the paper towels will rip and you'll break your ankle when you jump off your sink and they fail to hold you up.

Details:rolleyes:.

No one ever went to prison for being good at thinking things through...

If you are an inmate who had decided to undertake a suicidal gesture by hanging yourself with wound up towels make sure they're not paper towels. Should you forsake this advice the paper towels will rip and you'll break your ankle when you jump off your sink and they fail to hold you up.

Details:rolleyes:.

*snicker*

Yeah, they get 'em around here like that.....and when they make those ineffective threats (most of 'em don't get farther than threats)? They're stripped, put in a taco suit, and put in suicide watch seg. Period.

They all really hate that, too!

I learned that it's perfectly fine to stick your hand into an industrial trash compactor. Rather I should say, it's perfectly fine to stick your hand into an industrial trash compactor as long as you don't mind completely mutilating said hand.

Also, I learned that mouthwash will get you just as drunk as any liquor store alcohol, or maybe even drunker, yet it has the added benefit of making life more pleasant smelling for the ER staff who will be attending to you after you become comatose from drinking said mouthwash.

Here's another thing I learned. Apparently the ER is a full service restaurant and hotel catering to the exclusive class known as the homeless, because immediately after arriving in the ER it is not uncommon for said homeless person to immediately start shouting that he wants food right now and he wants a better room.

Not even just the homeless - apparently we're required all the patients AND their families.

Oh, and I've also learned that the homeless may lack a place to live, but they almost always seem to have a lawyer ("I'm going to call my lawyer, you aren't doing anything for me in this ****ty hospital!") :rolleyes:

1st of all im not a doctor or in the medical field, but i must say thanks a lot for the many laughs i have had over the last few days reading this thread in my spare time.

I have a couple of tales to tell as well.

when a 10 year old boy has broken both his ulna and radius, its not a good idea to try and move his arm to the position you want it in post xray, with out giving any pain meds cause you will end up with a broken arm from bracing your landing from when he has pushed you off him.

Its not a good idea to fix your broken 5th metacarpal yourself, so you can keep drinking for the night, then wait for a week cause the swelling has not gone down and go to your local doctor, who will confirm its busted and out of place via xray, he will then send you to the hospital to get it fixed. Who will agree that it is stuffed and send you to see a specialist who has a 3 week wait. And he will re-break it and put it in place with out any meds. yes it does hurt.

Also when your patient has cut his thumb open also cut his tendon not to mention chipping the bone, take his word that he done it with his blunt knife and is lucky it wasnt his sharp knife, cause when you test how sharp, the sharp knife is you will cut your thumb to the bone.

Something I learned today:

If you lose your glucometer, you can just guess for sliding-scale insulin.

As a part 2 to this one, you can also add a second dose because you "just didn't feel right" after the first one. You don't remember this, of course, but your friends do.

Last edited:
I learned this morning that when a corrections officer tells you no, he has to stay with the inmate who is your patient, especially if he is unshackled? He really does mean it, and he's no more thrilled about it than you are, especially in the cath lab.

He's even less thrilled when he's wearing a lead-lined protective suit, and still has to make sure he can get to his pepper spray, Taser, and cuffs.

Trust me on this one.

He wouldn't just connect a set of shackles to the patient and the bed to avoid (medically) unnecessary radiation exposure?

This isn't in the ED (though I doubt the cath lab is, either): I've had a corrections officer agree to leave the room for the history/physical after I asked him to. (The patient was already shackled to the bed before I got there, it had nothing to do with me.) How else could I do a HEADSSS (...SSSSSSSS...) exam and expect my patient to answer honestly? Not to mention, it's an issue of respecting confidentiality. I don't implicitly know whether any given corrections officer is HIPAA trained. At the time, I guess I was thinking it was better to have the corrections officer out of the room if it wasn't necessary for them to be there.

Anyway, good story Katydid!

He wouldn't just connect a set of shackles to the patient and the bed to avoid (medically) unnecessary radiation exposure?

This isn't in the ED (though I doubt the cath lab is, either): I've had a corrections officer agree to leave the room for the history/physical after I asked him to. (The patient was already shackled to the bed before I got there, it had nothing to do with me.) How else could I do a HEADSSS (...SSSSSSSS...) exam and expect my patient to answer honestly? Not to mention, it's an issue of respecting confidentiality. I don't implicitly know whether any given corrections officer is HIPAA trained. At the time, I guess I was thinking it was better to have the corrections officer out of the room if it wasn't necessary for them to be there.

Anyway, good story Katydid!

Cath lab doctor insisted he be uncuffed.

The state rules are that an inmate is either cuffed, or a corrections officer is with the inmate. No exceptions.

I have no idea how this works with regards to HIPAA, but them's the rules, and believe me when I tell you that the corrections officers do NOT like it any more than the inmates or doctors do.

Not to mention? Do you guys really want to be left alone with an uncuffed inmate? Someone who is already in jail for beating on someone? I know I wouldn't.

Of course, I hate being at the jail anyway. Both my husband AND my brother are corrections officers at the county jail, and I have had to go there twice. The last time? I had to enter through booking, where they buzz you in the door. Into a little metal closet-looking room, with thick glass. I'm claustrophobic. Seriously. And I had to wait for DH to get to booking, so he could get the crap he left at home that I had to bring to him. *twitch* And then I didn't realize that they have to buzz you OUT. *twitch* I was having a huge internal freak out over that!

That being said? I do not like being at the jail. I do not like being around the inmates, mostly because I know who they are (it's a small county, and I grew up here), and exactly what they're in for. And I would never leave some unsuspecting doctor alone with any of them.

Insane thread. :eek:

I learned that when you break your ankle, it's a good idea to never go to the hospital and just keep walking on it for 6 months. When the foot forms a 45 degree sideways ankle with the leg, keep on walking on it. When you're literally walking on the side of your ankle, keep on walking on it. When the ankle wears down to the point that the bone is both visible and CLEARLY infected, keep walking on it. And when your husband finally forces you to go to the hospital, rip off all the bandages and refuse to take antibiotics even when the MRI shows clear deep bone infection.

How is that even possible?! I sprained my ankle about three weeks ago, not even that bad, and it's STILL sore sometimes when I'm walking...I can't fathom walking on a broken one.

Since I am in the mental health field, I would like to know what is the most diagnosis that enters the ED as Psych patients? Do they come in because they stopped their meds? Are they mostly Schizophrenia patients, Bipolar,...?
Thanks in advance:)

Since I am in the mental health field, I would like to know what is the most diagnosis that enters the ED as Psych patients? Do they come in because they stopped their meds? Are they mostly Schizophrenia patients, Bipolar,...?
Thanks in advance:)

The vast majority of our "psych" patients are as they are due to addiction and homelessness. They come in intoxicated and make up symptoms like suicidal ideation or hallucinations to get housing. The actual psychs, the schizos and bipolars off their meds are in the minority.

Seriously, I wanted to be able to speak Huttese for a moment, so I could say the WHOLE line, instead of just, "ho ho ho ho, Bantha pudu..."

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcIk2G9_dDU[/YOUTUBE]

(That's actually a cool little video; I've never seen that scene without Jabba's dialogue being subtitled. Hmm.)