This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One of the best investments ive ever made. Pound of fresh ground coffee costs 8.00 and lasts me nearly a month. And I drink some coffee. 10-12 cups/shots a day.

Members don't see this ad.

One of the best investments ive ever made. Pound of fresh ground coffee costs 8.00 and lasts me nearly a month. And I drink some coffee. 10-12 cups/shots a day.
10-12 cups a day?! Holy crap haha

Reactions: 1 user
:) its amazing the difference caffeine makes in your blood pressure btw. I keep regular track of mine.

No caffeine- 95/59 typically. 12 cups of caffeine- 190/95

excellent pre workout.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
:) its amazing the difference caffeine makes in your blood pressure btw. I keep regular track of mine.

No caffeine- 95/59 typically. 12 cups of caffeine- 190/95

excellent pre workout.

I’m not a doctor (Obviously) but I have to agree with @Rei02sDinnerParty assessment. Neither of those pressures sound healthy.

Reactions: 1 users
seems uh.. healthy

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
In an athlete 95/59 is a great pressure. Yes, 190/95 is pretty high but considering its caffeine induced, in order to keep me awake during the long and arduous night shift, im not concerned. Goes right back down .

I’m not a doctor (Obviously) but I have to agree with @Rei02sDinnerParty assessment. Neither of those pressures sound healthy.

95/59 is fine. Some people just run a little low. 190/95 is quite high, and while the malignant hypertension emergency is not really a thing, I’d be pretty concerned if my bp was regularly that high 2/2 caffeine use. The lack of concern seems more like a posturing, machismo thing.

I'm not concerned because it's caffeine induced. I was worried before I realized the cause. The better shape I got in the better I ran. Pulse rate is what determines my BP. When I'm at rest sans caffeine my pulse runs around 55. After that coffee it runs about 98-102. But hey you do what you got to in order to stay awake at night.

I'm not concerned because it's caffeine induced. I was worried before I realized the cause. The better shape I got in the better I ran. Pulse rate is what determines my BP. When I'm at rest sans caffeine my pulse runs around 55. After that coffee it runs about 98-102. But hey you do what you got to in order to stay awake at night.

i'm not an RN or MD (or DO just yet) but it intuitively seems like having that much caffeine on a regular basis (with such a significant physiological effect on your BP) would not be great. Rei02sDinnerParty's Nana would say "everything in moderation!" ;)

oh lol i found some article on caffeine use disorder... i think i'd probably qualify tbh.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3777290/pdf/jcr.2013.0016.pdf

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, I avoid it except when I work or pre workout to give my body a rest. I've gotten pretty good over the years at listening to my body. Caffeine only works for so long and then the only thing that will suffice is sleep.

Yeah, I avoid it except when I work or pre workout to give my body a rest. I've gotten pretty good over the years at listening to my body. Caffeine only works for so long and then the only thing that will suffice is sleep.

i front squatted 285 today with an iced coffee by my side so i can attest to that :D

Nice, that's impressive. I haven't front squatted a whole lot. My favorite lift is traditional deadlift and I just hit 495 yesterday. Trying to get my bench past 245 as well. Been a struggle.

Nice, that's impressive. I haven't front squatted a whole lot. My favorite lift is traditional deadlift and I just hit 495 yesterday. Trying to get my bench past 245 as well. Been a struggle.

i don't deadlift (not for an injury reason - it's just an annoying lift to program alongside squats) but i recently hit 4 plates on the T Bar row. benching is strugs.. would be a lot easier if i just let myself balloon up in weight >.<

this is now a lifting thread. everyone else can go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Opinions needed: Best travel coffee thermos

i don't deadlift (not for an injury reason - it's just an annoying lift to program alongside squats) but i recently hit 4 plates on the T Bar row. benching is strugs.. would be a lot easier if i just let myself balloon up in weight >.<

I did curls one time. 0/10, wouldn’t repeat.
sarcasm if that wasn’t apparent

Yetis are good but pricy. My hospital gave out some cheap knockoff I forgot the brand but it works well.

I agree, so I choose not to squat very often hah. If anything I do hack squat on the machine. Ill work on my flexibility one day....
So true about the weight. Its so easy to gain muscle mass, if you don't mind getting fat. So easy to lose fat if you don't mind losing your gainzz. I'm pretty much stuck around 14% bodyfat. Abs aren't something I care to have, I just want to slam heavy ass weight.

Kudos on the tbar row. one of my absolute favorite exercises. Especially one handed tbar rows. You can push your lats so hard. I alternate between supported machine rows, barbell rows, and tbar rows.

Note: I do believe lifting is a great thing to get into especially well before school. Once youre conditioned, it isn't as draining to perform, and its a GREAT stress reliever. Also a reason I like rifle marksmanship. The breath control is something like meditation.

What espresso machine do you recommend?

I went cheap and got the delonghi. My girlfriend bought it for 38.00 on ebay shipped, I don't know how. At most youll pay 105.00 at walmart. They last at least a couple years and youll definitely get your moneys worth in that time.

I have 30 gallons stored up that I made before. Mostly orange honey hefeweizen, milk chocolate stout, and blueberry ale, but been trying to cut down weight for a competition so haven't had but maybe 1-2 beers all year.

Nah, you should probably still worry about your BP changes, even though they're caffeine induced. I drink almost as much coffee as you do when I work - probably 8 cups or so (and I use double packs when I make a pot), and I've never seen my BP hit over 130. I maybe have a 20 point variation in systolic BP due to large amounts of caffeine, tops. 100 mmHg is a huge difference.

I actually won a year's supply of free coffee from a Dunkin Donuts contest this year, so I don't have to worry about buying coffee for a while. That's a great feeling.

Reactions: 3 users
Hmm how much does it affect your pulse rate?

Hmm how much does it affect your pulse rate?
I'm not super active, so I tend to hover around in the 80s-90s when I'm walking around anyway... and that tends to not change much whether I'm caffeinated or not. I wear a fitbit with HR capabilities most days and I don't see any major differences when I drink coffee vs when I don't.

My heart rate ranges from 55 completely at rest, to maybe 60 when walking, and about 135 when I'm going all out doing HIIT. Before I started working out a few years ago, my resting pulse was around 71, and my BP stayed around 135/75 or so.

My heart rate ranges from 55 completely at rest, to maybe 60 when walking, and about 135 when I'm going all out doing HIIT. Before I started working out a few years ago, my resting pulse was around 71, and my BP stayed around 135/75 or so.
One day I hope to be as fit as you. I'm currently using my fitbit to decide when to tap out and take a break when I'm exercising... my max heart rate should be about 190, so I stop when I hit that, rest until I get it under 150-ish, and start back. I'm super lame.

To sort of make this on-topic - I bought a Peloton recently, and I'm calling that a must buy for anyone who likes cycling but hates being embarrassed in public and has nowhere to ride outside. Holy smokes, that thing is awesome. The live classes are super motivating and it keeps really precise details of what you do during each workout.

I have an Origin8 Cutler street bike, but I hardly get to ride it.
I wouldn't want to get my heart rate past 170 or so ever to be honest. It would make me uncomfortable if mine got that high, that I would have a dysrhythmia.
Id have to look up what a Peloton is, I'm unaware.
My advice is do a little bit of everything, some weight training, swimming, cycling, sprints, etc.

Most importantly, mostly do what you enjoy doing, so you will stick with it.