Things to Do after submitting the Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siba

siba
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I'm not applying this year. I have a question for people who've applied already -- I've been wanting to study aboard for a long time, but I could hardly squeeze it into my schedule. I'm thinking about studying aboard for around 8 weeks during the summer after I submit my apps online.

I'm not familiar w/ what needs to be done between submitting the apps online and hearing from the schools. Do you guys think it's a good idea to take off right after submitting my apps? Or do you think I should stick around for the supplements (Btw, when do most supplements need to be submitted?) or any other application-related stuff that might come up in the summer?

Thanks for any advice or comment!

Members don't see this ad.

Or do you think I should stick around for the supplements (Btw, when do most supplements need to be submitted?) or any other application-related stuff that might come up in the summer?

Submit your application in May of next year and then submit all of the secondary fees followed by going to the schools website and fill out all of the secondary applications and get those in ASAP, before you take off.
Some schools will send you a secondary to fill out so I guess with those you should have your parents forward them on to you then you can fill them out and get them in.

But I say go Study Abroad next summer. Its the last time you woul dhave the chance to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I'm not applying this year. I have a question for people who've applied already -- I've been wanting to study aboard for a long time, but I could hardly squeeze it into my schedule. I'm thinking about studying aboard for around 8 weeks during the summer after I submit my apps online.

I'm not familiar w/ what needs to be done between submitting the apps online and hearing from the schools. Do you guys think it's a good idea to take off right after submitting my apps? Or do you think I should stick around for the supplements (Btw, when do most supplements need to be submitted?) or any other application-related stuff that might come up in the summer?

Thanks for any advice or comment!

I know someone who is at BU dental who went abroad they summer they were applying. She just had her parents send her stuff as it came home. This is the opportunity of a life time, so go ahead and do it!:thumbup:

Personally I wouldn't do it only because of my personality, but you can for sure check and make sure that you have all the checks written for sup fees and everything ready and when its time to send them just have a friend or parent send it for you while your gone. I would also stay in contact with them incase they don't know what to do. Also if you can get a hold of any sup apps or anything that a skewl might require you to fill out I would get that ready.

Thank you so much for your advice! Good to know that I can still go b/c it's gonna be the only chance for me... :) I do concern about the supplements tho, and thanks for the tips! So most schools have supplements to fill out? Do they all come with the regular apps online?

Thank you so much for your advice! Good to know that I can still go b/c it's gonna be the only chance for me... :) I do concern about the supplements tho, and thanks for the tips! So most schools have supplements to fill out? Do they all come with the regular apps online?

Most schools, if not all, have a supplemental application. It ranges from just a simple check you have to write, to a full blown secondary application with essays and what not. If you will have a way to keep in touch with your parents regularly, you can send your parents your information and they can fill it out for you. Just don't travel abroad in the fall semester because you will be interviewing then.

There are no deadlines for supplemental applications although, the sooner you submit them, the better. Have fun studying abroad. I wish I had done the same when I was in undergrad.

I wouldn't if i were you!

If you really do care about getting in, you should be waiting by the mailbox every day during the summer. Trust me on this one. Alot of things can and WILL go wrong. Remember Murphy's law.

When i applied, the AADSAS system failed and all the schools wanted a full complete application. I wasn't notified until mid July. And schools wanted several essays, different letters of rec, official transcripts, 7 different essays (no joke.....thanks UCSF!!), letter from a religious mentor. Official DAT scores. Suffice it to say my supplementals didn't get completed until early September..............2001! You know what happened next. Chaos, some apps lost, some stuck in DC being decontaminated for Anthrax.

Just be prepared for everything as soon as you push the send button on AADSAS. I spent that whole summer stressing on getting things sent to different people. Now unless you are ABSOLUTELY positive that everything is in order and i mean down to the current value of the postage stamp (it's 41 cent btw), then you should be fine to go. In fact you should mentor other people on how to be so organized.

good luck have fun

I wouldn't if i were you!

If you really do care about getting in, you should be waiting by the mailbox every day during the summer. Trust me on this one. Alot of things can and WILL go wrong. Remember Murphy's law.

When i applied, the AADSAS system failed and all the schools wanted a full complete application. I wasn't notified until mid July. And schools wanted several essays, different letters of rec, official transcripts, 7 different essays (no joke.....thanks UCSF!!), letter from a religious mentor. Official DAT scores. Suffice it to say my supplementals didn't get completed until early September..............2001! You know what happened next. Chaos, some apps lost, some stuck in DC being decontaminated for Anthrax.

Just be prepared for everything as soon as you push the send button on AADSAS. I spent that whole summer stressing on getting things sent to different people. Now unless you are ABSOLUTELY positive that everything is in order and i mean down to the current value of the postage stamp (it's 41 cent btw), then you should be fine to go. In fact you should mentor other people on how to be so organized.

good luck have fun

That's exactly what I've been concerned about....:( I'm a kind of person who always tries to stay on top of things but also tend to be extremely anxious as well... don't know what to do now...

Thanks so much for the advice though!

Personally, I would go, but that's just because I really love to travel and experience other places. I can tell you right now, that i'm travelling the summer that I am applying, my husband will take care of everything, and whatever needs to be dealt with, can be dealt with from wherever I am. Honestly, every summer you can think of an excuse not to go somewhere, mine this year was taking a heavy summer at school to make up for my light one in the spring. Unless you constantly want to live on the safe side you have to get out there and take a risk, it probaly won't the end of the world. The best advice I can give it get your app in early and then wait until your app is sent out by aadsas, so leave mid June, that way you'll know by then what you're missing. Good luck!

how about going abroad after you have been accepted? sorta like a present to yourself!

how about going abroad after you have been accepted? sorta like a present to yourself!

This would be the smartest thing to do. Don't screw yourself over because you wanted to live in Europe for 4 weeks. Do it after you have been accepted.

This would be the smartest thing to do. Don't screw yourself over because you wanted to live in Europe for 4 weeks. Do it after you have been accepted.

I went overseas after i got accepted, as a little hoorah before i left for dental school. Don't do it before, cuz you'll regret it and you won't have much fun when you have to worry every day and get called because this school needs this, that school needs that and so forth. Be smart, you'll have plenty and plenty of time in the future to have fun.