This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Msk3195

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So by the end of my senior year of undergraduate school, there were a laundry list of things I wish someone would have told me...
- join ONE club and work hard at it
- keep a journal, you'll want to remember all those memories
- don't just stick to one group of friends, branch out
- get a job freshman year (it won't kill you, you have the time)
etc...

This time, I am trying to get a jump on the game. What are things you wish someone would have told you your first year of medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Work hard but enjoy your life in medical school. Easier to do well when you're happy. When you're miserable your studying can become forced and you probably retain less.

If you're single you will prob get lonely at some point and become familiar with tinder. Most people in my class were married/serious
Relationships when I was a first year.

Ignore what other people say about how they do on tests, people inflate their numbers and it only matters what you score. Your grade isn't important what's important is you're learning how to study more efficiently as time passes and becoming a stronger student. Medical school is a growing experience where you learn more about yourself. Once you master how to study efficiently this will likely help you during boards. Most people going in start out trying to figure out how to study and retain information quickly. It's trial and error.

Find out if going to class works for you or if it doesn't. For a lot of people, if not most, going to class is usually a time sink.

Make friends with people who are good students and have good habits. These people will keep you motivated and sometimes it helps to have a small group of people you trust. I had two close friends in my class, we all worked together when we had information and resources. It definitely benefited me. Both of those people I considered better students than myself and they matched very, very competive programs.

That's some of the high yield advice I can think of

Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The first two years of medical school are challenging based on how much information you have to learn, but you also have the most free time. The material must be learned, but you can (mostly) set up your day however you want. Enjoy that free time, play basketball, go to the beach, get rip roaringly drunk, do whatever you like to do. This time will pass, and so will your free time, unfortunately

Medical students have a tendency to be competitive. The first week of anatomy is a lot like the animals on the Serengeti, sizing up lunch. I advise you to just get over it, and it's better if you don't join in. All of you (mostly) will be attending physicians one day, and these people will be your colleagues. Medical students need to look out for each other, don't tear others down. Every one of your classmates is an impressive individual

You are also impressive, you deserve to be in medical school. Don't get feelings of inadequacy based a few tests, or if it "seems" like everyone is doing better than you. You just need to pass. 7-0 equals DO.

The Step 1 is a drag. EVERYONE will obsess over it. It is an important test, you should study hard and do as well as you possibly can. However, if you don't score as high as you would like know this 1) HALF of all medical students are below 50% (contrary to what it seems like on SDN, 90% of students can not possible score in the 90th percentile) 2) You will still match if you don't have a great score, however some competitive specialties REQUIRE high Step 1 scores. Best to be realistic with yourself. See below for more. 3) A lot of programs in a lot of specialties are most interested in getting a "good fit" for their program. This means that many people with lower Step 1 scores will be ranked higher than some people with higher Step 1 scores. 4) In conclusion, study hard, do as well as you can, then get the F*** over it!

Unless you are going into Dermatology, research is NOT that important. Research is really helpful to get into medical school, but once your in doesn't matter that much. Sure it is nice if it is on your application, but most PDs just don't care. You should do research ONLY if you love it. Don't be wasting that precious free time just because you want to pad your application.

The third year of medical school is for many (me included) the hardest year of training. There is a combination of being thrown into the deep end, the generally dismissive way most people will treat you, and the constant feeling that you are dumb, out of place, or just in the way. I promise you it will pass. You will get through it. Many people have feelings of depressions during this time, if you are suffering don't keep it inside. Talk to someone. It feels better to get it out.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY likes their Ob/Gyn rotation, it is only 1month! Sometimes you thrive, this rotation you just need to survive.

If your school allows you, try to pick a clerkship site that 1) has a good culture of including the medical student as an important part of the team 2) has lots of residencies, especially the ones you may be interested in. Generally you have a better chance at matching at your base site. Of the two, I think think #1 is far more important to your overall well being

Don't feel "behind" if you don't know exactly what specialty you want when you start. Most of the people who are dead set on a certain field from the first week of medical school will change their mind before they graduate.
However, come the winter of your 3rd year of medical school, you really need to pick a specialty. It is important to rotate through programs that you might want to do residency at (we call these audition rotations), which are done in the fall of 4th year. These can fill up in competitive fields by March or April of 3rd year, so you want to be proactive about setting these rotations up.

If you are applying to a competitive specialty, be honest with yourself. Always shoot for your dreams, but it is a good idea to have a back-up in mind, and to take some interviews in a less competitive specialty at an ideal residency. Family medicine as a whole may not be competitive, but the really cool FM programs are. This has to be done VERY tactfully though, you don't want the programs knowing they are second choice....If they find out and ask you about it, just be 100% honest.

Reactions: 12 users
Your first two weeks instead of freaking out about how much material there is, go to all the mixer events your school is putting up. Making friends is more beneficial to your mental health than studying non-stop early on.

Find a second year, make friends, get their old files/study guides/outside study materials/old test questions. Super helpful to have that stuff.

Get to know your professors at least a little bit. Make small talk before class/in lab. Network early and often. It can have surprisingly useful benefits.

Don't fall behind in a class. Don't be afraid to ask for help when your struggling. Get help before you've failed a class.

Reactions: 5 users
Be prepared for a bunch of bitchy, annoying and complaining classmates whose mommies and daddies coddled their spoiled asses when they complain about school work and reading off a bunch of slides.

Be prepared to be called "anti-social" or a"gunner" because you didn't want to go hang out with some of the folks from your class and get drunk only to succumb to a hangover the next day which puts you back even further for lectures. Excuse me for enjoying my own company, eating a Ben & Jerry's while enjoying Netflix on my time off...

Be especially prepared to be cut off mid-sentence when you are having a convo with some med students in your class because they are self-centered and forget how a damn conversation works.

Be prepared to have every single conversation listened in on by other classmates with them chiming in with their own opinions when nobody.. and i mean LITERALLY NOBODY ASKED for their opinion ...

Med school is great... but the people in it.. especially at MY program... suck tbh.

They are great people outside of these walls I am sure... but I have never hung out with any of my classmates and try to stay out of the way as much as humanly possible.

There is A LOT of fakeness and you gotta just do you.

I'm not here to party it up because there is nothing to celebrate. This is when the real hard work actually begins.

I'm not paying $300K+ to suck down alcohol and merely pass my classes... This ain't undergrad anymore and it's time to grow up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
Be prepared for a bunch of bitchy, annoying and complaining classmates whose mommies and daddies coddled their spoiled asses when they complain about school work and reading off a bunch of slides.

Be prepared to be called "anti-social" or a"gunner" because you didn't want to go hang out with some of the folks from your class and get drunk only to succumb to a hangover the next day which puts you back even further for lectures. Excuse me for enjoying my own company, eating a Ben & Jerry's while enjoying Netflix on my time off...

Be especially prepared to be cut off mid-sentence when you are having a convo with some med students in your class because they are self-centered and forget how a damn conversation works.

Med school is great... but the people in it.. especially at MY program... suck tbh.

They are great people outside of these walls I am sure... but I have never hung out with any of my classmates and try to stay out of the way as much as humanly possible.

There is a lot of fakeness and you gotta just do you.

I'm not here to party it up because there is nothing to celebrate. This is when the real hard work actually begins.

I'm not paying $300K+ to suck down alcohol and merely pass my classes... This ain't undergrad anymore and it's time to grow up.

This is my biggest fear. A lot of people in my upcoming classes Facebook give off that young "YOLO" vibe .
So I'm debating just sticking to a 1 bedroom just to play it safe

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
This is my biggest fear. A lot of people in my upcoming classes Facebook give off that young "YOLO" vibe .
So I'm debating just sticking to a 1 bedroom just to play it safe

You're a grown man/woman that will hopefully be taking care of people one day at very defining moments in their life.

As long as you are inherently not harming anybody or being a doucher....you do what you want... when you want... how you want.

If people don't like it...**** 'em! :)

Life's a lot easier that way, especially in medical school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I would get a pair of Groucho glasses and start watching Kardashian episodes anonymously in the student lounge

Reactions: 3 users
I think SDN overemphasizes the importance of audition rotations. I was under the impression I wouldn't even get an interview unless I auditioned at certain programs. Definitely not true.

Reactions: 9 users

There is a lot of fakeness and you gotta just do you.

This is so true. We had a malignant class as well..half we're good people but the other as doctors scared the crap out of me..our boards and match for our class could have been better

I met some awesome people in my class too. But medical school attracts the worst and the best.

Reactions: 2 users
Beware of the ultra gunners that spread out false information. I thought that this stuff is not real but apparently I was a victim of this little abnormality.

Here are my to do lists:
1) Learn to find out the reliable people from the unreliable people in class. The sole purpose of this is to find out outlets to confirm real news from fake news. Put people that tend to spread fake news on your d-bag list that you should never associate yourself with.
2) Don't stress out about class rank. Nobody cares about your preclinical grades. Just make sure that you get at least a B in every class and don't fail. It's all about Step 1. This is harder to do w/ med students acting crazy about every single points after a test. But, listen to your predecessors who have been on this road before that it's all about Step 1.
3) Anatomy is an overrated class with plenty of free time. Learn not to give a damn about it and do the bare minimum unless you're gunning to be a surgeon. You will find out if you want to be a surgeon or not in the first week of class.
4) Be sociable and open with everyone in the first few weeks of school to find out the people that you can see yourself working with and build a close relationships with them
5) Stay focus and be yourself. Don't feel pressure to do anything by your classmates. It's ok not to go drinking or partying it up if you're not getting any utility out of it. Don't feel guilty.
6) When times get tough and you feel depressed, just remember why you want to be a physician in the first place. Everyone will get depressed at some point regardless of what they're telling you.

This is so true. We had a malignant class as well..half we're good people but the other as doctors scared the crap out of me..our boards and match for our class could have been better

I met some awesome people in my class too. But medical school attracts the worst and the best.

How so?

Members don't see this ad :)
People who would never study...fail, and somehow get curved through repeatedly. People whose relative somehow only got sick during exam weeks making them miss the exam (once: sure it happens. Twice: hm sorry you have to deal with), it became a repeat pattern for some people..People with insanely confident personalities despite their academic progress: they refused to acknowledge when they were wrong. And yes, people would sometimes try to sabotage others, as you said. Unfortunately this kind of stuff does happen. People on clinicals who would just jump in without any form of instruction and start doing something that was a serious process. I.e there was a guy who knew NOTHING about ventilator settings, yet he decided to jump in and start adjusting them himself. Lots of random stuff like that. This is all my opinion, I'm sure people have difference perceptions on people, but just how I saw some in our class. There were some people who really impressed me in my class though: a few who really struggled first year, but ended up doing fine and passing boards ok and matching at solid places. Was very happy to see they matched. The only three things I don't like in a medical student is entitlement/overconfidence, laziness, mean/vindictive personalities.

I learned this the hard way. Don't be afraid to say "no." In fact, get used to it. Get used to the fact that since medical school is a huge investment in so many ways, sacrifices of any kind, big or small, are inevitable. There's a party going on? If you're behind lectures, say "no." Your friend wants your help to tutor him in anatomy? If you haven't gotten your own studying done yet, say "no." You want to play a new game that just came out? Say "no" because you need to get this current lecture out of the way and finish making anki cards for it. If they are your friends, they should understand. If they don't like you because you are prioritizing what is truly important, then they were never worth being friends with anyway.

That's not to say the above examples should never be done. But I'm just offering an insight.

One of our faculty members in our school said medical school will feel like you're choosing between food and water, and at other times, between food, water, and air. No matter what choice you're making, you are giving up something valuable, and you have to quickly ascertain which of the offered choices allow you to lose the least.

I'm sure there are other things I'd like to say that I can't think of at the moment, but I hope this advice was useful.

Last edited:
I learned this the hard way. Don't be afraid to say "no." In fact, get used to it. Get used to the fact that since medical school is a huge investment in so many ways, sacrifices of any kind, big or small, are inevitable. There's a party going on? If you're behind lectures, say "no." Your friend wants your help to tutor him in anatomy? If you haven't gotten your own studying done yet, say "no." If they are your friends, they should understand. If they don't like you because you are prioritizing what is truly important, then they were never worth being friends with anyway.

That's not to say the above examples should never be done. But I'm just offering an insight.

One of our faculty members in our school said medical school will feel like you're choosing between food and water, and at other times, between food, water, and air. No matter what choice you're making, you are giving up something valuable, and you have to quickly ascertain which of the offered choices allow you to lose the least.

I'm sure there are other things I'd like to say that I can't think of at the moment, but I hope this advice was useful.

This. 10000000x

I've probably said "no" more than I have said "Good morning" this entire year.

Reactions: 1 users
I wish people would have explained more explicitly what they meant when they told me med school isn't worth it. I may have reconsidered.

I'm $220k in debt, I work like a dog, and I make about $9.00 per hour as a resident due to all the hours I work.

I'm probably burned out, but I think this is the type of thing people were talking about.

That being said; I truly do love the actual work I do, and I look forward to life after residency.

I wish people would have explained more explicitly what they meant when they told me med school isn't worth it. I may have reconsidered.

I'm $220k in debt, I work like a dog, and I make about $9.00 per hour as a resident due to all the hours I work.

I'm probably burned out, but I think this is the type of thing people were talking about.

That being said; I truly do love the actual work I do, and I look forward to life after residency.

What would you have done alternatively?

Honestly? I'm not certain.

Something in the outdoors. Maybe a fly-fishing guide or for for the National Parks Service or something.

I think people with the intelligence of doctors happen to have many passions. I hope you get the time to pursue those after residency.

hope this isn't deviating too much....
i'm an entering MS1 DO student.
I know I will hear the usual crap: 'Oh DON'T STUDY, DON'T BLAH BLAH....' Having said that, what books did you guys think were the best in preparation for the MSI Core/basic science courses. Specifically: Gross anat, pharm, physio, biochem, embryo, neuroanatomy, OMT (If applicable for you), neuro.
So far after my research (Yes I did do research) this is what I believe are the best, please give any suggestions:
Gross anat: natters atlas +/- natters flashcards #1, moores clinical anatomy can be #1/#2, Greys (TMI), Michigan Website w/ their PQ, Grays review for PQ, BRS for extra PQ
Physio: Constanzo text or BRS
Pharm: Lippincott
Biochem: Lippincott
Embryo: High yield #1, BRS #2
Neuroanat: clinical cases for neuroanatomy #1
Histo: Blue histology #1, shotgut histo #2, Ross histo

I know I will hear the usual crap: 'Oh DON'T STUDY, DON'T BLAH BLAH....' Having said that, what books did you guys think were the best in preparation for the MSI Core/basic science courses. Specifically: Gross anat, pharm, physio, biochem, embryo, neuroanatomy, OMT (If applicable for you), neuro.
So far after my research (Yes I did do research) this is what I believe are the best, please give any suggestions:
Gross anat: natters atlas +/- natters flashcards #1, moores clinical anatomy can be #1/#2, Greys (TMI), Michigan Website w/ their PQ, Grays review for PQ, BRS for extra PQ

Zero need for prep other than what you've already done. Don't waste your time.

You wanna get ahead?

Start watching pathoma and start reading FA.

Try pumping out 10 Sketchy videos each day (10 for micro and 10 for pharm.... watch each one about 3-4x til they stick).

Get some medical physiology and anatomy book and start hammering those chapters.

Get ready for one hell of a ride amigo.

The burnout will be REAL regardless.

Oh believe me, I plan to.

That's why you gotta marry rich SLC! You know you got the good lucks and doctor title already... get to trappin' some rich princess!

You wanna get ahead?

Start watching pathoma and start reading FA.

Try pumping out 10 Sketchy videos each day (10 for micro and 10 for pharm.... watch each one about 3-4x til they stick).

Get some medical physiology and anatomy book and start hammering those chapters.

Get ready for one hell of a ride amigo.

The burnout will be REAL regardless.
does sketchy have everything or at least most for micro + pharm...?????

also you have any suggestions / recs for the books I included.

Any help would be helpful... I need all the help I could get! Gracias.

You want suggestions for books? How about When Breath Becomes Air? Read that.

Don't fall behind. Never fall behind. Never!
I fell behind a few times first year and catching up took bits of my soul, sanity and lifespan. Or at least it felt like it at the time.

Network better, seek out mentorship from high performing faculty and students who scored well on usmle. Likewise find someone who outlined robbins already to save you the busy work of doing it yourself.

I honestly think I ended up putting in too much effort in all of the wrong places. It wasn't high yield and it wasn't going to make me a better doctor.

Likewise practice how to do certain techniques especially when you're not good at them.

does sketchy have everything or at least most for micro + pharm...?????

also you have any suggestions / recs for the books I included.

Any help would be helpful... I need all the help I could get! Gracias.

Sketchy is mainly micro and pharm and has a new pathology section coming up. The pharm is a good review of physiology, but probably pretty useless for someone who hasn't studied it yet.

Honestly man, don't waste your time doing low yield activities that will burn you out. You've got plenty of time to do well.

If you must study something, go and study some biochemistry.

Sketchy is mainly micro and pharm and has a new pathology section coming up. The pharm is a good review of physiology, but probably pretty useless for someone who hasn't studied it yet.

Honestly man, don't waste your time doing low yield activities that will burn you out. You've got plenty of time to do well.

If you must study something, go and study some biochemistry.
well what about anatomy, neuroanat, embryo?

well what about anatomy, neuroanat, embryo?

What about it? You'll forget it and relearn it multiple times.

I suppose feel free to learn the bones and their markings and possibly some muscles. But you'll forget them anyways.

What about it? You'll forget it and relearn it multiple times.

I suppose feel free to learn the bones and their markings and possibly some muscles. But you'll forget them anyways.
i meant what texts do you recommend.... lol.

Beware of the ultra gunners that spread out false information. I thought that this stuff is not real but apparently I was a victim of this little abnormality.

Here are my to do lists:
1) Learn to find out the reliable people from the unreliable people in class. The sole purpose of this is to find out outlets to confirm real news from fake news. Put people that tend to spread fake news on your d-bag list that you should never associate yourself with.
2) Don't stress out about class rank. Nobody cares about your preclinical grades. Just make sure that you get at least a B in every class and don't fail. It's all about Step 1. This is harder to do w/ med students acting crazy about every single points after a test. But, listen to your predecessors who have been on this road before that it's all about Step 1.
3) Anatomy is an overrated class with plenty of free time. Learn not to give a damn about it and do the bare minimum unless you're gunning to be a surgeon. You will find out if you want to be a surgeon or not in the first week of class.
4) Be sociable and open with everyone in the first few weeks of school to find out the people that you can see yourself working with and build a close relationships with them
5) Stay focus and be yourself. Don't feel pressure to do anything by your classmates. It's ok not to go drinking or partying it up if you're not getting any utility out of it. Don't feel guilty.
6) When times get tough and you feel depressed, just remember why you want to be a physician in the first place. Everyone will get depressed at some point regardless of what they're telling you.

Word of advice about the ultra gunners. Make sure to establish a group of good people you can trust. You can fact check with them to separate out the piles of scum from the saints (the saints saved my @ss more times that I can imagine, and I make sure to thank them for their effort!). So find a group you can trust and your chances of being victim to ultra gunners falls drastically. My study group saved my @ss from these people more times than I can count!

Word of advice about the ultra gunners. Make sure to establish a group of good people you can trust. You can fact check with them to separate out the piles of scum from the saints (the saints saved my @ss more times that I can imagine, and I make sure to thank them for their effort!). So find a group you can trust and your chances of being victim to ultra gunners falls drastically. My study group saved my @ss from these people more times than I can count!

I cross check medical info w/ Uptodate. I'm talking more false info about certain school requirements when they're optional in order to mind screw and waste your time. I def put that person on my FB ignore list from now on.

I cross check medical info w/ Uptodate. I'm talking more false info about certain school requirements when they're optional in order to mind screw and waste your time. I def put that person on my FB ignore list from now on.

Sounds like people at your school are weird.

Also I double check things off of wikipedia lol!

Idk. I didn't read any textbooks first year after Cardio. And then I read Robbins & Baby Robbins.

I just recently open Big Robbins. It's the best textbook that has ever been published. I'm becoming addicted to it. I just read some of that stuff for fun nowadays.

I just recently open Big Robbins. It's the best textbook that has ever been published. I'm becoming addicted to it. I just read some of that stuff for fun nowadays.

After a year of pathology out of it, I think it's got major flaws in integrating physiology, doesn't touch on biochemistry enough, and has no real anatomical review. It's a book purely on pathology and because of that it ends up being too lost from the big picture.

Ah gotcha. However, having a group still applies to these situations also. We had faculty who would occasionally mind screw with us also and my group would find out very quickly if he or she was screwing with us.

Another important book to read is "The House of God."

Idk. I didn't read any textbooks first year after Cardio. And then I read Robbins & Baby Robbins.

Ok this is one of these moments:
LDZbRa.jpg

I keep seeing people refer to it but haven't been using it. What are we supposed to do with it? Read it for every path test?

It depends on your curriculum. KCU makes you read all of Robbins. I personally think that Robbins is a nice book for pathology, but its density makes having anything aside from pathology difficult.

Big Robbins = The Robbins Textbook. Baby Robbins = the handbook. Because of the sheer density there are benefits to having Robbins summarized for you a bit....

LDZbRa.jpg

I keep seeing people refer to it but haven't been using it. What are we supposed to do with it? Read it for every path test?

Don't read it unless your school tells you to read it. The putthoff curriculum pulls questions straight out of the most obscure parts of robbins so you can't avoid reading it, but for people at normal schools, the only time you'd read it is if you became a path resident.

LDZbRa.jpg

3/4 of the way through House of God. It should be an MS-0 required reading for all.

I'm at 400k :(

He could have at least taken a year off before he graduated. That, or he's an out of state student who hasn't paid off any part of his loans in order to keep the interest low and such.