This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Beware of the ultra gunners that spread out false information. I thought that this stuff is not real but apparently I was a victim of this little abnormality.

3) Anatomy is an overrated class with plenty of free time. Learn not to give a damn about it and do the bare minimum unless you're gunning to be a surgeon. You will find out if you want to be a surgeon or not in the first week of class.

Pardon my ignorance but I'm curious what the bolded means. Do med students who enjoy/do well in Anatomy usually end up pursuing Surgical specialties?

Members don't see this ad.

Pardon my ignorance but I'm curious what the bolded means. Do med students who enjoy/do well in Anatomy usually end up pursuing Surgical specialties?

Listen. Anatomy exposes to like 1/20 of actual surgery. It's not about doing well. It's more about the exposure. You will know what I'm talking about after your first two weeks of exposure. If you enjoy every aspects of Anatomy, surgery should be on your differential. If you hate every moment of it and a lot of people do despite doing above average in the course, it's a solid bet to rule out all surgical specialties.

Reactions: 1 users
Listen. Anatomy exposes to like 1/20 of actual surgery. It's not about doing well. It's more about the exposure. You will know what I'm talking about after your first two weeks of exposure. If you enjoy every aspects of Anatomy, surgery should be on your differential. If you hate every moment of it and a lot of people do despite doing above average in the course, it's a solid bet to rule out all surgical specialties.

YES This x100
So many people in my class walked in wanting to do surgery but after a month in anatomy lab they wanted to do nothing with a scalpel.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Be prepared for a bunch of bitchy, annoying and complaining classmates whose mommies and daddies coddled their spoiled asses when they complain about school work and reading off a bunch of slides.

Be prepared to be called "anti-social" or a"gunner" because you didn't want to go hang out with some of the folks from your class and get drunk only to succumb to a hangover the next day which puts you back even further for lectures. Excuse me for enjoying my own company, eating a Ben & Jerry's while enjoying Netflix on my time off...

Be especially prepared to be cut off mid-sentence when you are having a convo with some med students in your class because they are self-centered and forget how a damn conversation works.

Be prepared to have every single conversation listened in on by other classmates with them chiming in with their own opinions when nobody.. and i mean LITERALLY NOBODY ASKED for their opinion ...

Med school is great... but the people in it.. especially at MY program... suck tbh.

They are great people outside of these walls I am sure... but I have never hung out with any of my classmates and try to stay out of the way as much as humanly possible.

There is A LOT of fakeness and you gotta just do you.

I'm not here to party it up because there is nothing to celebrate. This is when the real hard work actually begins.

I'm not paying $300K+ to suck down alcohol and merely pass my classes... This ain't undergrad anymore and it's time to grow up.
I usually dislike your bad attitude (just being honest) but I'll be taking some of ^this to heart lol. Don't blame you.

Honestly? I'm not certain.

Something in the outdoors. Maybe a fly-fishing guide or for for the National Parks Service or something.

You just simultaneously kicked me in the balls while letting air out of all four of my tires. If guides made as much money as a doctor, you can bet your ass I would be in a drift boat 300 days of the year.

Last edited:
So I do have a question for those of you that have come before me. An issue I had that aggravated me in undergrad was learning **** that I didn't need to know. How did you guys decipher what's worth spending large amounts of time on vs. not so much? I've also been told that textbooks are useless. Ugh. Stress man, stress.

I'm at 400k :(

I'm at $380k. $25k from undergrad, taking out full loans in med school ($50k tuition plus the rest for COL), and then don't forget all the interest that's accruing. I think I had about $40k in interest when I graduated.

So I do have a question for those of you that have come before me. An issue I had that aggravated me in undergrad was learning **** that I didn't need to know. How did you guys decipher what's worth spending large amounts of time on vs. not so much? I've also been told that textbooks are useless. Ugh. Stress man, stress.

After your first exam you'll get the feel for each professor. When I had 1 specific prof lecture, I knew he liked minutiae so I would only memorize obscure facts from his lectures. Other profs would like big picture stuff so I would ignore the minutiae. You'll learn a lot about how to study and what to study after your first exam.

hope this isn't deviating too much....
i'm an entering MS1 DO student.
I know I will hear the usual crap: 'Oh DON'T STUDY, DON'T BLAH BLAH....' Having said that, what books did you guys think were the best in preparation for the MSI Core/basic science courses. Specifically: Gross anat, pharm, physio, biochem, embryo, neuroanatomy, OMT (If applicable for you), neuro.
So far after my research (Yes I did do research) this is what I believe are the best, please give any suggestions:
Gross anat: natters atlas +/- natters flashcards #1, moores clinical anatomy can be #1/#2, Greys (TMI), Michigan Website w/ their PQ, Grays review for PQ, BRS for extra PQ
Physio: Constanzo text or BRS
Pharm: Lippincott
Biochem: Lippincott
Embryo: High yield #1, BRS #2
Neuroanat: clinical cases for neuroanatomy #1
Histo: Blue histology #1, shotgut histo #2, Ross histo

DON'T PRE-STUDY.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I usually dislike your bad attitude (just being honest) but I'll be taking some of ^this to heart lol. Don't blame you.

You just simultaneously kicked me in the balls while letting air out of all four of my tires. If guides made as much money as a doctor, you can bet your ass I would be in a drift boat 300 days of the year.

Nah bro, I appreciate your honesty. People don't always have to get along but we can agree to disagree. My attitude on here is simple, direct, honest, and straightforward. I don't believe in sugarcoating ****. Life's too short to coddle people and tell them what they want to hear. I never take anything online or in text personal. Words are just words unless they are backed up by action and reading text online often miscommunicates what the person's real message was...

I'm just trying to keep it real bruh bruh.

Reactions: 1 users
Nah bro, I appreciate your honesty. People don't always have to get along but we can agree to disagree. My attitude on here is simple, direct, honest, and straightforward. I don't believe in sugarcoating ****. Life's too short to coddle people and tell them what they want to hear. I never take anything online or in text personal. Words are just words unless they are backed up by action and reading text online often miscommunicates what the person's real message was...

I'm just trying to keep it real bruh bruh.
Just two different approaches my man. We're all gonna make it. You got real experience though which I would rather hear about than anything else.

For current students, how did you approach OMT stuff in 1st and 2nd year? As an incoming OMS-I, my current approach is to do as little as I can towards the topic in order to pass, but at the same time if I am half assing it now I don't know how will it impact the OMT part of COMLEX, at least that is my thinking...

Also what are people's views of OMT in general? Useless? Partially beneficial? I have not met a practicing DO who uses it daily, but again I haven't actually meet a FM DO who technically would have the highest chance of utilizing it...
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using SDN mobile

You can learn most of the omm you need for comlex in a week or less. A lot of it is just memorizing points and levels.

Omm wasn't my thing. Couldn't get into it. Did what I had to do and finished it.

For current students, how did you approach OMT stuff in 1st and 2nd year? As an incoming OMS-I, my current approach is to do as little as I can towards the topic in order to pass, but at the same time if I am half assing it now I don't know how will it impact the OMT part of COMLEX, at least that is my thinking...

Also what are people's views of OMT in general? Useless? Partially beneficial? I have not met a practicing DO who uses it daily, but again I haven't actually meet a FM DO who technically would have the highest chance of utilizing it...

Half a$$ OMM throughout 1st year and still hit the average on it. Nobody cares about this aspect of medicine. Unless you're going into FM, you will not be using OMM.

OMM is useful for minor musculoskeletal complaints, like when someone sleeps on their neck funny or pulls a muscle exercising. I regret not paying more attention when we were in MSK block because that's the most beneficial (IMO) part of it. When you get to stuff like Chapmans points and craniosacral is when you should half-ass it just enough to get by.

You'll have plenty of time to learn enough OMM to do well on COMLEX in the week before your test.

I actually really liked OMM. I think that people really enjoy having it performed on them and it is an easy fix that you can do with little effort. I do however plan on going into FM so I am not sure if that gives me a bias but my husband is so grateful for the OMM I am able to do to help with his back/neck pain. Some of the stuff is straight up "voodoo" but there are many treatments that I didn't expect to work and tried them on real people with a specific problem and they seemed to help. The class itself does not take much effort and I attend a school that probably does more OMM training than most.

You wanna get ahead?

Start watching pathoma and start reading FA.

Try pumping out 10 Sketchy videos each day (10 for micro and 10 for pharm.... watch each one about 3-4x til they stick).

Get some medical physiology and anatomy book and start hammering those chapters.

Get ready for one hell of a ride amigo.

The burnout will be REAL regardless.

Please tell me you were sarcastic. Because if not, it's a terrible advice, even for super gunners.

Half a$$ OMM throughout 1st year and still hit the average on it. Nobody cares about this aspect of medicine. Unless you're going into FM, you will not be using OMM.
We use OMM in Radiology, EM, Psych and Surgery all the time.

Reactions: 2 users
You can learn most of the omm you need for comlex in a week or less. A lot of it is just memorizing points and levels.

Omm wasn't my thing. Couldn't get into it. Did what I had to do and finished it.

Did OMM ever feel like it got in the way of doing well on Step 1? To me, it just seems like a significant barrier to doing well on the exam--I mean 200 hrs of OMT exposure is 200 hrs better spent on Step 1 IMO...

Be prepared for a bunch of bitchy, annoying and complaining classmates whose mommies and daddies coddled their spoiled asses when they complain about school work and reading off a bunch of slides.

Be prepared to be called "anti-social" or a"gunner" because you didn't want to go hang out with some of the folks from your class and get drunk only to succumb to a hangover the next day which puts you back even further for lectures. Excuse me for enjoying my own company, eating a Ben & Jerry's while enjoying Netflix on my time off...

Be especially prepared to be cut off mid-sentence when you are having a convo with some med students in your class because they are self-centered and forget how a damn conversation works.

Be prepared to have every single conversation listened in on by other classmates with them chiming in with their own opinions when nobody.. and i mean LITERALLY NOBODY ASKED for their opinion ...

Med school is great... but the people in it.. especially at MY program... suck tbh.

They are great people outside of these walls I am sure... but I have never hung out with any of my classmates and try to stay out of the way as much as humanly possible.

There is A LOT of fakeness and you gotta just do you.

I'm not here to party it up because there is nothing to celebrate. This is when the real hard work actually begins.

I'm not paying $300K+ to suck down alcohol and merely pass my classes... This ain't undergrad anymore and it's time to grow up.

I see you're in 2nd year as well studying for boards. Lol.

There really isn't much to OMM before it starts repeating itself and you understand it intuitively. I would give it its due diligence for the first couple tests then slowly ween off the gas. OMM is really not hard until you get into cranial where you feel like you're in wonderland, and by that time you're in the spring of 2nd year so you'll gladly miss those point to study for boards.

How do you use omm in radiology?
With your mind. You see the dysfunction on the film and then you adjust the patient by visualizing. I know its possible cause my OMM professor told me they could do it (and yes, a OMM professor really told me they could do this).

With your mind. You see the dysfunction on the film and then you adjust the patient by visualizing. I know its possible cause my OMM professor told me they could do it (and yes, a OMM professor really told me they could do this).

Even my OMM professor who is pretty well known in the OMM world doesn't spew this kind of bs.