Thinking about dropping a class..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iqe2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm a freshman in college, and first semester is just about to be over [a little less than a month]. I'm doing really terrible in my classes, but Biology is really killing me. I read in another thread that if I re-took a class, it would still show up on the transcript on my medical school application. But what happens if I drop a class? I know that it is Texas law that you can't drop more than 6 courses you're entire college career. I'm really considering dropping Bio and just re-taking it during the summer [I already have to take the lab during the summer because it filled up before I could register]. As far as medical school is concerned, is it any consequences to dropping a class, especially a pre-req. Will the the "W" show up on my transcript.

My professor just posted our grades to out last test, and I'm on the verge of suicide just about. :(

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm on the verge of suicide just about. :(
Calm down buddy.

If you drop a class it'll say "W" on your transcript and it won't count into your GPA. If you re-take it, it'll just be like any other class. Try to get an A this time. Freshman year isn't that big of a deal - study harder in the future.

But man, you need help if you're considering committing suicide over a bad grade in a class. You will deal with many much bigger, more stressful, and more important things over the course of your life that'll make you look back and wish you could go back to that magical time as a college freshman taking Bio 1.

A W looks a lot better than a bad grade does...and it is a lot easier to come back from. However, I would make sure that you can still withdraw with a W....because at my school the last day is usually in October. Just make sure that it isn't going to be a WF or equivalent because I'm pretty sure those grades count as an F. If you drop it now with a normal W, don't worry about it. But you are obviously having trouble in your classes and you need to figure out what is going on. Would you study better with a group? A tutor? First semester of college is tough for a lot of people and adcoms know that....just be sure to figure out what is holding you back from the grades you want and fix it for the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys for the replies, I know exactly why I'm not doing well. It's because I'm simply not used to studying. I was that guy in high school that still got A's and B's and barely even studied [if I did at all]. I guess I came into college thinking I could do the same thing, which I obviously can't do. It's not that Biology is a hard subject, it's very note-heavy [about 70 slides each class] and you have to memorize a lot and it's imperative that I go back through the material multiple times [which is what I haven't been doing].

It's gonna suck telling my folks..

Hello everyone. I'm a freshman in college, and first semester is just about to be over [a little less than a month]. I'm doing really terrible in my classes, but Biology is really killing me. I read in another thread that if I re-took a class, it would still show up on the transcript on my medical school application. But what happens if I drop a class? I know that it is Texas law that you can't drop more than 6 courses you're entire college career. I'm really considering dropping Bio and just re-taking it during the summer [I already have to take the lab during the summer because it filled up before I could register]. As far as medical school is concerned, is it any consequences to dropping a class, especially a pre-req. Will the the "W" show up on my transcript.

My professor just posted our grades to out last test, and I'm on the verge of suicide just about. :(

Thanks in advance.

Whether or not a withdrawal shows up on your transcript varies by school. Even if it does, nobody will give a flying **** that you withdrew from a class during your freshman year. There's no sense in staying a class that you're going to do poorly in. Go have fun instead.