Thinking About Public Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jubilation

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a Biology major in my sophomore year. Lately, I've been thinking about public health as a career. I've checked out some grad programs and was wondering about the differences between an MPH and a master's in healthcare administration. Would my job oppurtunities be that different from each other?

Members don't see this ad.

Jubilation said:
I'm currently a Biology major in my sophomore year. Lately, I've been thinking about public health as a career. I've checked out some grad programs and was wondering about the differences between an MPH and a master's in healthcare administration. Would my job oppurtunities be that different from each other?

Hihi!

YES! For sure the job opportunities will be different. An MPH is broad, and can come in many different sub-fields - epidemiology, community health, behavioral science/health education, biostatistics and health management/policy (are the most common, child/maternal health, international/global health and womens health sometimes appear as well). There is a HUGE range of what kind of jobs you can get with those (such as a community health educator working for planned parenthood, to working for the WHO trying to curb the spread of malaria as an epidemiologist, to working for a pharmaceutical company as a biostatistician testing new drugs.)

A masters in healthcare administration is a specific subfield (the one I chose), and will lead you into the business areas of healthcare - hospital administration/management, consulting firms, insurance companies, etc. If I were you, I'd look into what sub-field interests you the most, and then look further into that field.

Also, the pay is vastly different within these fields. Healthcare administration pays the most out of any public job typically, some of the others barely pay better than a college degree. Why don't you think about which field interests you the most, and then post back or PM me? I'll be glad to help.

I really appreciate your reply!! For the master's in public health, I'm very interested in epidemiology. Out of the main sub-fields, it interests me the most. It seems like I can do tons with this degree, and would be able to jump over into careers in other sub-fields more easily than I would with another degree, just because it seems so broad. Am I wrong to assume this? And I was wondering about the salary too.

I'm interested in healthcare administration because it seems very solid. Definitely good pay and good job security. Some aspects of the degree interest me (health law, health policy), some seem like I'd have to just force myself to get through (finance). How do you like the degree so far?

How much over-lap is there between the two? Like, could I work for UNICEF with an MHA, or work as a hospital administrator with an MPH in epidemiology?

Members don't see this ad :)
Jubilation said:
I really appreciate your reply!! For the master's in public health, I'm very interested in epidemiology. Out of the main sub-fields, it interests me the most. It seems like I can do tons with this degree, and would be able to jump over into careers in other sub-fields more easily than I would with another degree, just because it seems so broad. Am I wrong to assume this? And I was wondering about the salary too.

I'm interested in healthcare administration because it seems very solid. Definitely good pay and good job security. Some aspects of the degree interest me (health law, health policy), some seem like I'd have to just force myself to get through (finance). How do you like the degree so far?

How much over-lap is there between the two? Like, could I work for UNICEF with an MHA, or work as a hospital administrator with an MPH in epidemiology?

Hihi!

I hope this message finds you well Jubilation. I think that healthcare administration is a good field to go into for sure, and you're right - the pay and job security is strong. Starting salary for healthcare administration starts at maybe $65,000-$80,000, and many people make 6-digits within a few years of working, if you go to a good school. Most of the top schools in administration also have 100% employment rates, so everyone has a job within 3 months of graduation. Exmike here on SDN has mentioned this fact about salaries as well.

I have always liked business and economics, but healthcare has 1) more job seucirty (in my opinion because it's growing as a field), and 2) offers more of a sense of personal reward since you get to do something important. If you're interested in health law and health policy, you can get an MPH specifically in health policy (and some of those degrees have options to take law classes as well). Most of the healthcare administration programs I got accepted to also allowed me to take classes at their law school as well, which I think is great.

If you want more flexibility, some schools (like Univ. of Michigan for example), will allow you to get 2 masters degrees (say one in administration and one in epidemiology), for only one extra year. Thus, you can spend 3 years and walk away with degrees in 2 different fields. I think this will give you the most flexibility, and it is something you should look into. I hope this helps, and if you need anything, write back! =)

Thanks for the suggestion about the dual-Master's programs! I hadn't even thought of that. But, an MHA looks a lot more attractive now. :)

Do you know the starting salary for an MPH in epidemiology?

And, this is a bit off topic, but any clue on the stats for Columbia's public health program? I've checked out a lot of grad schools, and they often don't list there avg. GPA or GRE.

Jubilation said:
Thanks for the suggestion about the dual-Master's programs! I hadn't even thought of that. But, an MHA looks a lot more attractive now. :)

Do you know the starting salary for an MPH in epidemiology?

And, this is a bit off topic, but any clue on the stats for Columbia's public health program? I've checked out a lot of grad schools, and they often don't list there avg. GPA or GRE.

Hihi!

To the best of my knowledge, starting salaries for epidemiology will be $40,000-55,000... but I haven't looked into that for awhile. You're right - Columbia doesn't post anything about their stats online at all. I got accepted to their program very quickly, and I don't think my stats are all too hot (PM me if you want to know mine). I'd guess that if you had 3.4+ GPA and GRE 1200+, you're in good shape as long as the other parts of your application are in good order. I can get more information for you on Columbia if you can wait a couple of weeks - they should be handing out more information in the beginning of April. Need anything else? - Write back!

OH! And one more thing - if you're thinking about an MHA, you REALLY should take a few basic classes before you apply (micro/macroeconomics, statistics, and accounting come to mind immediately, while other business courses wouldn't hurt). Some schools have steadfast requirements about classes like these which must be completed before matriculating.

I am almost done with a MSPH and I need to warn you....I was a bio major, graduate of 2003. I thought med school for a long time (and still am) and I am a little frustrated with public health right now. I have a difficult time with the broadness of the field. I too am interested in epidemiology, however, having an MSPH does not make me an epidemiologist. You would need to get a degree in that epi or clinical epi (Penn has a great program for an MCE). As far as other jobs are concerned, public health is greatly roped into medicine, and therefore any important and respectable job position requires not only a MPH, but also a MD or DO. Otherwise, the type of jobs are those such as data manager and other stats related work. Problem also for me, since the grad program never taught me SAS or other stat program!
I'm sorry to sound so negative, but just take warning. MPH is expensive (I have mega loans), take stats and learn to love math and data manipulation, don't expect a great income, and if you love biology you might have a problem making you interests in public health less biological (no more thinking of "mechanism or pathway"). If you like epi, look at epi programs and skip the public health route.
Good luck!!! :luck:

AspiringDoctor- That would be great if you could get me info on Columbia! I've taken economics, and wasn't really a fan of that. I take stats sometime next year, and I don't think I'll be able to work in any other business classes, but everything other than economics seems to be interesting. Though, maybe I should just sit-in on a few business classes to see what I think.

sweet2th- I don't think you sounded negative, you sounded realistic and I really appreciate that. I've thought about getting a master's in a bio related field (genetics, epidemiology, biochemistry, etc.), but I have no desire to pursue a Ph.d. Because of that, I'm afraid that just having a master's in one of those fields would put me in a decent biotech job, however I'd have no room for advancement because I lack a Ph.d. So it's why I started thinking about the MPH (where I thought I'd be able to utilize my knowledge and love for bio, and have an interesting, rewarding career), or getting an MHA (definitely a solid professional degree). What opportunities are available to those holding a master's in a bio related (but not public health) field?

You could probably teach at a high school or be a lab person/lecturer at a college with a Masters in Science. I totally agree though about the PhD...its like "why bother" if you only have a masters. Not to mention - you will probably find masters level work to be easier than undergrad. Masters level teaching has to back-track for older students who have been out of the academic loop for a while, so you will probably be very surprised at how easy it seems.

First, I want to say good luck to Jubilation - I too became interested in public health during my sophomore year of college... some moons ago. :D I think that AspiringDoc and sweet2th gave you some good information. If you need information from another perspective of public health (e.g. health education), I can give you information - that's where my training is - and the MPH is sufficient for most jobs in health education.

Heal&Teach said:
First, I want to say good luck to Jubilation - I too became interested in public health during my sophomore year of college... some moons ago. :D I think that AspiringDoc and sweet2th gave you some good information. If you need information from another perspective of public health (e.g. health education), I can give you information - that's where my training is - and the MPH is sufficient for most jobs in health education.

Jubilation.... keep posting here and try to do as much research as you can concerning opportunities, coursework and career outlook. Think about it a lot and maybe try to sit in some classes at a local school.

I also applied for Management at UCLA and Michigan. I am still awaiting responses from them.

Michigan also lets you apply to a primary and secondary program. Gives you a choice, or back up in case one doesn't accept you. Or maybe both will accept you!!

My secondary program was Health Behavior and Health Education. Does anyone here know an average starting salary for that field?

Anyhow, best of luck to you!!!!!!!

Hi Jubilation,

I have questions similar to yours, but my situation is slightly different. I will be completing a Ph.D. in clinical psychology next year and am considering going back for even more school (glutton for punishment) in a couple of years so that I can move into administration as well as continue to practice. When I talked to my Ph.D. advisor about this (who is also affiliated with the MPH program at my university, btw) he gave me a few pieces of advice others might find helpful. First, he said that an MPH program is considered more of an academic degree than an MHA. According to him, a lot of the focus of the degree would be research whereas the focus of an MHA program is more applied. He actually advised against an MPH for me only because the research training would be somewhat redundant given a Ph.D. Second, he told me to also look at MBA programs that have a healthcare industry specialization (i.e. Kellogg school of management at Northwestern) since this training would be essentially the same as that of an MHA program.

I don’t know anything about how an MHA or MPH might prepare one for a career in epidemiology so I don’t know how applicable any of the above may be for you. Still, I thought I should share.

Good luck in whatever you do.

Just to throw in my $0.02. There are different levels of expertise in epidemiology - some of which are easier to do with a higher level research-oriented degree (PhD, or rigorous MS). The MPH in an epidemiology subtrack can still open a lot of doors in applied epidemiology (local and/or state departments of public health), but probably not as much in academic epidemiology (university, or national level).

But, I do agree with sweet2th too - most of the MPH students out of my program end up being data monkeys (programmers and public health statisticians). Although, some who have a specific content focus (infectious disease, injury epidemiology, hopsital epidemiology, nutrition, etc) do go on to get epi positions in those fields.

And, the MD/MPH combo tends to open most (if not all) of the doors that require a PhD in epi (for example, professor positions, EIS officers with the CDC, heads of public health departments).

Along the lines of MPH, I was wondering what the pros and cons are of getting an MD/MPH. I will be entering med school next year (UCSD as of now), and I was pondering the option of a dual degree. How time-consuming would it be? Would it detract from my exploring other career options, for example, if I had an interest in pathology? Is it a decision that I should make right away? Thanks!

serendipiddy said:
Along the lines of MPH, I was wondering what the pros and cons are of getting an MD/MPH. I will be entering med school next year (UCSD as of now), and I was pondering the option of a dual degree. How time-consuming would it be? Would it detract from my exploring other career options, for example, if I had an interest in pathology? Is it a decision that I should make right away? Thanks!

Hihi!

Let me try and answer your questions one by one, if I can. Most MD/MPH programs are 5 years, and a few are 4 (but you need to go to school year-round). I wouldn't say the extra year is too time-consuming, but it would help round out your training if you ever wanted to step away from pure clinical practice. I don't think it'd detract from your residency options, but I think that it may be less useful as a degree, depending on what specialty you pick. Many MD/MPH programs require that you decide within the first year or so - you have a bit of time, but don't wait too long! There are also preventative medicine MPHs for those who hold MD or DO degrees after you complete medical school, and sometimes it's for free. If you need anything else, write back!

To SALADITO:

LOL, average starting salary? Uh, let's just say that you'll probably be living on peanut butter and jelly for a while, at least until a promotion graduates you to spaghetti. Just kidding. :)

Your salary will depend on the kind of organization that you're working for (e.g., private, non-government, community), the type of funding it has (e.g., grants), and the nature of your job (e.g., are you a big part of a well established team, or serving as the jack of all trades in your one position?). In 2002, one professor suggested to our class that when negotiating salaries for jobs - you're worth at least $42K. However, my first job was a fellowship, and they paid $34K at the national level (although this figure is slightly higher at the state government level). I also looked into a job that paid $28K as an option. So I think a pretty safe starting range would be anywhere from the upper twenties to the lower forties.

Hope this is helpful,
H&T

hi AspiringDoctor9,
just got admission to hopkins to study mph this july. pls i would appreciate it if i could knw the kind of career and job opportunities abound in majoring in the health policy and financing; as well as health leadership and management concentrations. do u know of the starting salaries as well.
What r d prospects of goin on to a Phd and future career prospects?

thanx 4 yr help