Thinking of quitting CPhT job at Walgreens to work at Walmart...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cefuroxilimes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
TL;DR: Currently work at Wags, but sorta just putting up with it. Nervous about changing flags to work for tiny neighborhood Walmart on my campus, but was my 1st choice and still is! Been about 4 months at wags.

I've only been there 4ish/5ish months, afterall!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I started working at a Neighborhood Market about 3 months ago. I was never a big fan of Walmart, but I took the job because it was closer to home, better area, and higher pay (getting paid $5/hr more than I was at CVS). Surprisingly, I'm a lot happier there even though their system is really slow compared to CVS. Their system is more geared towards patient-safety and accuracy rather than high volume and output. A lot of the pharmacists and techs I know at Walmart are liking it better than their old jobs at other chains. From what I hear, Walgreens' work life is like CVS, which in my experience, is pretty bad lol. If you're not liking it there, I'd say apply to Walmart and see how the interview and offer goes. Then balance your pros and cons, but it sounds like you're leaning Walmart anyway. And yes, give Walgreens a 2+ week notice once you've decided.

Members don't see this ad :)
Update (for anyone in a similar situation):

Stayed with wags, was really starting to hate it. The main Pharmacist had insane tantrums. Switched to another Walgreens location to maintain my sanity, then the main Pharmacist from previous Walgreens was fired. All is well. Now getting paid $5/hr more than when I was hired, too!

TL;DR: Currently work at Wags, but sorta just putting up with it. Nervous about changing flags to work for tiny neighborhood Walmart on my campus, but was my 1st choice and still is! Been about 4 months at wags.

I've only been there 4ish/5ish months, afterall!
I've heard great things about Walmart. Spoke to someone recently who started as a pharmacist at Walmart and rose through the ranks to become pharmacy regional manager. The person doesn't exactly enjoy being a regional manager due to increased responsibility and 24 hour on call notice; nevertheless, Walmart treats their pharmacists well.

Sent from my SM-G935P using SDN mobile