Thinking of switching to Podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BTR1208

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am strongly consider switching to pod. Can someone tell me the path I would need to take?

How is the lifestyle of a Podiatrist?

Thanks a lot,

B

Members don't see this ad.

Need to take the MCAT. 4 years school + 3 years residency.

My best advice would be to shadow a Podiatrist and ask him/her all those questions after you get to know them.

Members don't see this ad :)
My best advice would be to shadow a Podiatrist and ask him/her all those questions after you get to know them.

The problem with that is the the older, more established podiatrists have a very different background than podiatrists today. The podiatrist I initially shadowed (and almost passed up podiatry as a result) did nothing but callus removal, nail work and corn removal because he lacked any sort of surgical training. Today's podiatrists are a bit different. I think you should go and shadow a podiatrist who has surgical training.

The problem with that is the the older, more established podiatrists have a very different background than podiatrists today. The podiatrist I initially shadowed (and almost passed up podiatry as a result) did nothing but callus removal, nail work and corn removal because he lacked any sort of surgical training. Today's podiatrists are a bit different. I think you should go and shadow a podiatrist who has surgical training.

Please quantify "older". I work with "older" (than me) podiatrists and they are ALL supremely trained, extremely bright and participate in everything from nail care to the most complex forefoot and rearfoot procedures. They are from not much older than me, to 65 years old. Today's podiatrists are much different. They lack the experience the "older" guys and gals have. I've been out 10 years and STILL learn new things from them everyday.

The first podiatrist I shadowed has been in practice for 30+ years. Saw a post-op Charcot Reconstruction that day...