this may be a stupid question, but . . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jolie South

is invoking Domo. . .
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does any one know if studying at a school for undergrad or grad gives you an edge in getting into that school's med school?

I went to Tulane for M.S. in public health and got all my recs from Tulane folks. Would this give me some extra points?

Just curious. . .

Members don't see this ad.

I would just go talk to the people at the med school directly. I mean since you are there, might as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
In theory, I think no for the most part. It does give you the opporunity to get your foot in the door and perhaps make a good impression of the right people before you even apply.

Little story; when I interviewed at MSU, there were two girls at that interview day who did not know where to find the medical school. The kicker; they were MSU undergrads. Moral; don't be those girls, if you go to an undergrad institution, use it as an opportunity to stand out a little, in a positive way of course. Don't show up late because you got lost on a campus you've spent every day on for three years.

I honestly don't have any idea if I answered you're question.

You might fare a little better if you get good recs from the school itself.