This might be a trendy thread.. but please do respond to it!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hardluck

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

this could be my second thread here .... long long time back I started a thread here and got no response!

well I agree everyone here gets to see new faces like me everyday!

Am a fan of this forum ... well to be frank if u look at my number of posts and number of logins in the past u wont notice it !!

but I used to visit this site as a guest to browse thru different areas !

Anyway .. today I am back again with a question!

am a student from RPI
I graduated from there last december with a degree in Biochem/Biophysics
GPA 3.78

I have done one research assistance for 1 yr (in a private lab)

Second research assistance in my professor's lab

I have volunteered for a semester at Albany Med in the Heart Transplant division

I have been in US for only 4 yrs !!

My first attempt in MCATs gave me 16O .... I never knew wat MCAT is .. I studied all by myself .. referred to my text books .. well I didnt expect much anyway comparing to others who prey on Kaplan !!

Anyway .. I talked with friends and came to know more about MCATs.. hit more libraries and got more books etc .. Still couldnt go for Kaplan coz didnt have the money for it !!

Second time I gave my MCAT and I got a score of 23N

I havent applied to many colleges .. since I was worried abt my MCAt score .. and didnt want to waste the money for it to go in vain !!..I got a rejection from Syracuse .. colleges remaining are NYU, Buffalo, and Albany Med !!

I want to get into Albany med coz eventhough the college doesnt have a great reputation .. it would make my life much more easier.. as u all would knw medical college wouldnt be easy .. but if I get into Albany med ... it will make things much more easier for me .. financially and mentally !

so here's the question?? any hopes for me?? what would u suggest? I knw taking MCAT is the next shot if I dont get in this yr !! but wat else would u suggest for a person who isnt finiancially strong .. but determined to go beyond the horizon !!

Plzz do comment and thx for taking the time to read all this!!

Members don't see this ad.

u nEeDz tos takez the MCAT againss.... sorries...

if you ar a URM u mite git a ch4n3. G0 for D0 sch00000lz.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to take the MCAT over again. Theres no question about it. Kaplan may not necessarily be the solution to all of the MCAT problems out there, as many people have gotten rock solid scores without it, but you have to question yourself as to why you have low scores? Is it because you just dont understand the material? Do you have any good practice exams? How often do you study? Do you find that you study for the MCAT randomly without some sort of structure? If so, you may want to go through Kaplan as they organize your study schedules, provide you with all the materials, practice Qs, practice quizzes/exams, everything...

There is a very good "What are my chances" sticky near the top of this page (and please everyone join me in posting this phrase on all of the coming-soon "What are my chances" threads). You need to take the MCAT again if you're set on allopathic; I have a feeling if you improve your VR section you'll be pleased with your score. And apply to more schools.

I don't think you'll have much luck getting accepted anywhere with those scores. You likely need to really study for the test, and, if you blow it out of the water, I'm sure schools will look upon it kindly. Good Luck!

Thank You al for the kind suggestions ....really appreciate it !! .. I guess I will shoot to retake the MCAT(as I had in mind anyway) .. am postive I can improve my score.. yes I can improve the score.. i will bust my ass to do it .. my only aim is to become a doctor one day .. it hasnt been just a dream .. but rather a self written destiny !!

I would also want to apologise for posting this thread .. inspite of knowing the fact that "what r my chances" thread already exists!! The reason was just my disappointment thts all !!

Once again Thnx

I had one more quick question
How often will I be able to take the MCAT exam?

You may take the MCAT exam a maximum of three times per year, but can only register for one testing session at a time. Documentation is no longer required if you have already taken the exam three or more times.

This is from the AAMCAS webpage

Now does this mean there is no restrictions on how many MCATS u can take in ur lifetime.. coz I knw earlier it used to be that we could take upto 3 MCATS without any special permissions .. but then we requird some special permissions to retake MCATS ..

I just wanted to clear a doubt thts all !! so starting this yr has the rule been discontinued??

What was your breakdown for your MCAT score. Verbal Section can be a killer if your native language isn't english. If this is the case, I'd suggest taking a literature course or just reading a lot of articles from.. Wall Street Journal or something.

Everyone else:
Don't be a D-----Bag about OP's english/grammar. I'd like to see how you do talking to people in another country with 4 years of that language. Likewise, OP probably is just trying to use colloquial internet slang he or she picked up in the four years he or she has been here.

What was your breakdown for your MCAT score. Verbal Section can be a killer if your native language isn't english. If this is the case, I'd suggest taking a literature course or just reading a lot of articles from.. Wall Street Journal or something.

Everyone else:
Don't be a D-----Bag about OP's english/grammar. I'd like to see how you do talking to people in another country with 4 years of that language. Likewise, OP probably is just trying to use colloquial internet slang he or she picked up in the four years he or she has been here.

Well u r rite it was my verbal reasoning tht killed me !! hehe but first time I had a really poor score second time it came up !! abt the break down :

First attempt:

Verbal Reasoning (VR): 03 Percentile Range: 1.6 - 3.4
Physical Sciences (PS): 07 Percentile Range: 21.7 - 37.4
Writing Sample (WS): O Percentile Range: 41.1 - 57.5
Biological Sciences (BS):06 Percentile Range: 12 - 18.3
Total Score: 16O Percentile Range: 7.2 - 9.3

Second attempt:
Verbal Reasoning (VR): 07 Percentile Range: 27.7 - 39.2
Physical Sciences (PS): 08 Percentile Range: 39.6 - 54.5
Writing Sample (WS): N Percentile Range: 29.6 - 41.5
Biological Sciences (BS): 08 Percentile Range: 28.7 - 43
Total Score: 23N Percentile Range: 33.2 - 38.6

Well u r rite it was my verbal reasoning tht killed me !! hehe but first time I had a really poor score second time it came up !! abt the break down :

First attempt:

Verbal Reasoning (VR): 03 Percentile Range: 1.6 - 3.4
Physical Sciences (PS): 07 Percentile Range: 21.7 - 37.4
Writing Sample (WS): O Percentile Range: 41.1 - 57.5
Biological Sciences (BS):06 Percentile Range: 12 - 18.3
Total Score: 16O Percentile Range: 7.2 - 9.3

Second attempt:
Verbal Reasoning (VR): 07 Percentile Range: 27.7 - 39.2
Physical Sciences (PS): 08 Percentile Range: 39.6 - 54.5
Writing Sample (WS): N Percentile Range: 29.6 - 41.5
Biological Sciences (BS): 08 Percentile Range: 28.7 - 43
Total Score: 23N Percentile Range: 33.2 - 38.6

Since a prep course like Kaplan is too expensive, my advice:

-Purchase ExamKracker's books if you haven't already.
-Purchase all the AAMC practice tests
-You need to set up a good structure for studying before you take the MCAT again.
-Identify your weak areas (such as verbal or the particular parts of biology or chemistry you don't understand. Example: SN2 reactions, DNA replication, etc.) and really work you butt off on those areas.

Get a fee waiver for the MCAT.

Study a lot harder. Sorry, but you have to if you want to endure the rigors of medical school. The admissions director at UMich once said that a score of 21 says you are ready for medical school, but medical schools are competitive, so they naturally want the best. I think you can bring up your verbal score with practicing English a lot more by reading and interacting. I know it's tough because you aren't American, but it's just one obstacle. I see you getting ~35 if you really study and prepare yourself.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes Guys .. I understand what u r trying to say .. During the times I took the MCATs I was always busy with my school work,exams etc (which was my main focus!). Now am just going to focus on the MCATs, and am on it already! thnx for all the kind supprt .. I really appreciate it!

You have a 3.78 as a Biochem major, so your MCAT scores probably don't reflect your understanding of the material; rather, it's the English that's throwing you off.

Nonetheless, your MCAT scores are really low, and you shouldn't really expect admissions from those places you are waiting to hear from. I know that sounds really discouraging, but at the same time, you should see this as a new opportunity. Just take a year off and study for the MCATs by reading lots of magazines, taking lots of practice tests, and generally putting yourself in an environment where you have to use English instead of your native language. Immerse yourself in the culture, and see if you really want to be a doctor in this sort of environment (that's if you want to work in the U.S.).

I know what you mean by this entire process being mentally and financially draining, but again, you have to realize that rushing into things isn't always the solution. Even if you did get into medical school, there's a great chance that you will struggle due to the language barrier. The best solution is to just take some time off and try to get used to the language. Go work as an EMT, volunteer, and study for the MCATs. And just enjoy life in general. There's a reason why the average age for 1st year med school students are so high.

Anyway, I do wish you luck. You sound like a real optimistic kind of guy, so I am sure you will be fine in the end. Just don't let anyone discourage you or tell you you can't do it.

And yeah, I have to agree with Davjc2009 on a lot of the repliers being D-Bags. English is obviously not the OP's native language. No need to get cheap laughs out of it.

Yes Guys .. I understand what u r trying to say .. During the times I took the MCATs I was always busy with my school work,exams etc (which was my main focus!). Now am just going to focus on the MCATs, and am on it already! thnx for all the kind supprt .. I really appreciate it!

first off... stop writing like an internet turd. Writing out "you" and "are" puts you in to a better category...

get the EK books. know them inside out. take Genetics (it's huge on the BS section recently)... study study study... then take practice tests. Stop writing in shorthand internet speak, also. And start reading random stuff on yahoo news, etc... become more "well rounded" so to speak. Since english is your second language you could get away with a 6-7 VR score... but you need double digits in the other sections.

Put some time in to studying for the MCAT and you should be good :thumbup:

Are you opposed to osteopathic programs? You may be able to get into an osteopathic program THIS year. Apply to some of the new schools that have extended their application deadlines in order to fill their class. Yes, its not ideal, but neither is struggling with the MCAT again when the problem is difficulty with the English language, not with knowledge/understanding.

How many hours a week do you work? If the answer is 0-20, do what many of us did and pick up 40+ hours per week for a few months to save for the TPR or Kaplan course. If its already around 40+, ignore. If this is the case, take out a loan for the course.

The courses are important, but if you absolutely refuse to do what is necessary to take the course why don't you pick up the kaplan/TPR/EK books and study for it that way? Use the books specifically made for the mcat, you'll find they have pretty good insight.

You would help your verbal score tremendously if you stop using IM shorthand and started writing in proper English.

Since a prep course like Kaplan is too expensive, my advice:

-Purchase ExamKracker's books if you haven't already.
-Purchase all the AAMC practice tests
-You need to set up a good structure for studying before you take the MCAT again.
-Identify your weak areas (such as verbal or the particular parts of biology or chemistry you don't understand. Example: SN2 reactions, DNA replication, etc.) and really work you butt off on those areas.

i second this as a great strategy