hannahfox

Removed
Feb 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Is it true step 1 is a 8 hour long test, and step 2 a 9 hour long test... costing >$2,000 + what ever it costs to travel to one of 5 cities in the US. Then step three is a 16 hour test divided over 2 days.

Also, is it true most are studying for 9-10 hours a day for 6 weeks straight....

I thought my 2 hours a day every other day for 3 weeks MCAT studying was bad....

How did you all get through that?

Mar 25, 2010
Michigan
Status
Medical Student
ahhh, you may wanna finish some undergrad before you start thinking about step 2.. Come back and write us when you pass Organic Chemistry! :laugh:

Slevin

10+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Is it true step 1 is a 8 hour long test, and step 2 a 9 hour long test... costing >$2,000 + what ever it costs to travel to one of 5 cities in the US. Then step three is a 16 hour test divided over 2 days.

Also, is it true most are studying for 9-10 hours a day for 6 weeks straight....

I thought my 2 hours a day every other day for 3 weeks MCAT studying was bad....

How did you all get through that?
HAHAHA

What looks like insanity now will be normal if you get into medical school.

Feb 24, 2010
Status
Medical Student
yea man its all relative, dont worry about that now, everyone has to learn how to transition to med school their 1st semester

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
2 hours a day every other day for 3 weks for MCAT???? I studied way more than that. So did most other people people. More like 6-8hours a day, everday for 4-6 weeks if I remember correctly.

hannahfox

Removed
Feb 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
2 hours a day every other day for 3 weks for MCAT???? I studied way more than that. So did most other people people. More like 6-8hours a day, everyday for 4-6 weeks if I remember correctly.
HAAH, ya I did really bad on the MCAT through. Hopefully next time around I will do better but we will see. I was just reading through some of the threads here and found out about the "match" (I used to think med students picked what programs that wanted to get into, went there and interviewed then were either accepted or rejected... I didn't know you guys can maybe get put into a residency program you really didn't want to get into). Does that mean there are some doctors out there practicing medicine in a speciality that wasn't their first, second, third.... choice?

jeesapeesa

anesthesiologist southern california
10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern California
Status
Attending Physician
HAAH, ya I did really bad on the MCAT through. Hopefully next time around I will do better but we will see. I was just reading through some of the threads here and found out about the "match" (I used to think med students picked what programs that wanted to get into, went there and interviewed then were either accepted or rejected... I didn't know you guys can maybe get put into a residency program you really didn't want to get into). Does that mean there are some doctors out there practicing medicine in a speciality that wasn't their first, second, third.... choice?
match refers to where you want to do residency according to what you want to specialize in. say you're interested in surgery - you try to match at your top choices where you want to do residency in the field of surgery.

username456789

7+ Year Member
May 24, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Does that mean there are some doctors out there practicing medicine in a speciality that wasn't their first, second, third.... choice?

Absolutely. This is, however, largely determined before the match process.

vicinihil

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
to get one of those...you might want to think about putting in 6-8 hr's a day...every day starting NOW for the MCATS =) just a thought.

Given the economy, med school is getting harder to get into

Laryngoscope

10+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2009
Status
Medical Student
to get one of those...you might want to think about putting in 6-8 hr's a day...every day starting NOW for the MCATS =) just a thought.

Given the economy, med school is getting harder to get into
I couldn't agree more. I studied like 4 hours a night, 6 days a week for three months leading up to the MCAT. Of course, I'm a nontrad so I hadn't had most of the material recently.