Program-Specific Info / Q's Thomas Jefferson University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Occusational

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I was recently invited to interview for the Thomas Jefferson Master's of Occupational Therapy program but I do not know much about the school's specifics. If there are any TJU students out there who could answer some questions I would GREATLY appreciate it!

For instance,
How are the classes structured? Problem-based learning, lecture/ exam, group projects, etc.?
How is it different from other OT programs?
How are the professors/ faculty? Supportive, distant, etc.?
What is the cost of the MOT program?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I was recently invited to interview for the Thomas Jefferson Master's of Occupational Therapy program but I do not know much about the school's specifics. If there are any TJU students out there who could answer some questions I would GREATLY appreciate it!

For instance,
How are the classes structured? Problem-based learning, lecture/ exam, group projects, etc.?

Thank you!!
Hi! would you mind telling me some of your stats?

Hi! would you mind telling me some of your stats?

Sure!

Major: Communication Studies
GPA: 3.8 , Major GPA: 4.0
GRE: 155 quant, 155 verbal, 5.0 writing
Observation/experience: LNA in a nursing home, 8 hours of pediatric, 10 hours in school system, 25 hours outpatient, 10 hours inpatient

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back for the Thomas Jefferson OTD program?

i heard back recently, i am scheduled to interview for the otd next week

For instance,

Thank you!!
I've been offered an interview also. I'm super nervous since I don't know what to expect. Do you know anyone that is attending TJU and been through the interviewing process? From the email I feel like it is a group interview.

How is everyone preparing for TJU interview?

just going thru sample interview questions! how about you?

I've been offered an interview also. I'm super nervous since I don't know what to expect. Do you know anyone that is attending TJU and been through the interviewing process? From the email I feel like it is a group interview.
Hi there!
I'm not a student at TJU, but I went to an open house and asked about the interview process. It is a group interview, but I don't have any other details.

Hi there!
I'm not a student at TJU, but I went to an open house and asked about the interview process. It is a group interview, but I don't have any other details.
Thanks! That was very helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm a first year OTD at Jefferson! I've had some great, supportive professors here, but I think you'll get a mix of personalities no matter where you go.

As for exams/group projects, it depends on the semester. Our first semester we don't really have any group projects and have a lot of exams, but I've heard from second years that changes a lot as time goes on. Some classes are full lecture, but our labs are broken into 3, 4, or 5 groups within the total class (70-something). As of now, we start fieldwork in our first semester and we have it on Thursdays. Otherwise, we have class roughly from 9 to 5 with an hour or two break in between Monday to Friday.

Hi, I'm a first year OTD at Jefferson! I've had some great, supportive professors here, but I think you'll get a mix of personalities no matter where you go.

As for exams/group projects, it depends on the semester. Our first semester we don't really have any group projects and have a lot of exams, but I've heard from second years that changes a lot as time goes on. Some classes are full lecture, but our labs are broken into 3, 4, or 5 groups within the total class (70-something). As of now, we start fieldwork in our first semester and we have it on Thursdays. Otherwise, we have class roughly from 9 to 5 with an hour or two break in between Monday to Friday.
Thanks for the insight. Can I ask how your interview experience was like?

For anyone that has had an interview, how long did it take for you to hear back from them? slash has anyone been accepted yet?

I just received an e-mail this evening from TJU saying my application is complete. I submitted it in October, but I think they just now received my GRE score. Just wondering how long I should also be expecting to wait before I hear from them again.

For anyone that has had an interview, how long did it take for you to hear back from them? slash has anyone been accepted yet?

I just received an e-mail this evening from TJU saying my application is complete. I submitted it in October, but I think they just now received my GRE score. Just wondering how long I should also be expecting to wait before I hear from them again.
I submitted my application mid September to TJU. My MAT score was missing but I got it resolved in late October. I was invited a week later 10/28 for an interview. Hope this helps!

For instance,

Thank you!!
Did you go through your interview process yet? How did it go? If you don't mind sharing.

I submitted my application mid September to TJU. My MAT score was missing but I got it resolved in late October. I was invited a week later 10/28 for an interview. Hope this helps!

How was the interview? What was it like?

At one point during the group interview, we went around the table and everyone mentioned some kind of outside activity that they were proud of, and half of the interviewees answered "Thon" (Penn state fundraiser). I thought that was strange...

At one point during the group interview, we went around the table and everyone mentioned some kind of outside activity that they were proud of, and half of the interviewees answered "Thon" (Penn state fundraiser). I thought that was strange...
As a first year, we have students from different areas. We probably have about 5 or so from Cali, some other western states, a few from New England, some Midwest, VA, etc.

So you'll get some people who knew each other from undergrad, but don't worry too much about cliques.

@Bokonomy Do you know the approximate cost for the entry-level OTD program?? I can't find specific numbers that include costs for summer

My interview is on the 30th. Let me know how yours went. Good luck!
the interviewers were super friendly, it was a nice day. good luck in your interview, they do a good job of helping the prospectives feel comfortable, plus you get to meet and tour the facility with current students. good luck:)

@Bokonomy Do you know the approximate cost for the entry-level OTD program?? I can't find specific numbers that include costs for summer
Well, I think most people who apply get a scholarship, which averages 5k according to the website. So like 40k minus the scholarship.

the interviewers were super friendly, it was a nice day. good luck in your interview, they do a good job of helping the prospectives feel comfortable, plus you get to meet and tour the facility with current students. good luck:)
Thanks that is very helpful. Did the interview occured before or after the tour?

My interview was before the tour (interviewed last year).
How did you prepare for your interview? I don't know what questions to expect since it's a group interview. I've been practicing with the interview wuestions I found on TJU's website.

How did you prepare for your interview? I don't know what questions to expect since it's a group interview. I've been practicing with the interview wuestions I found on TJU's website.
They asked us questions in turn. Only one other person was at mine though. Just prepare normally, and get there a little bit earlier so you can talk to others who are there so you can remember their names and stuff.

How long did the interview last?

How long did the interview last?
i think the actual interview was about 45 minutes long. first, we got a mini info session from the admissions coordinator, and then we had the interview with her and a faculty member. after that we went on a tour of the facilities with two current students, which lasted for about 45 minutes (if my memory serves me correctly.)

the whole thing lasted for about 3 hours. Good luck:)

i think the actual interview was about 45 minutes long. first, we got a mini info session from the admissions coordinator, and then we had the interview with her and a faculty member. after that we went on a tour of the facilities with two current students, which lasted for about 45 minutes (if my memory serves me correctly.)

the whole thing lasted for about 3 hours. Good luck:)
Did you hear back from TJU yet?

They asked us questions in turn. Only one other person was at mine though. Just prepare normally, and get there a little bit earlier so you can talk to others who are there so you can remember their names and stuff.
Did you send a thank you note after your interview? I forgot to ask and I don't know if it isappropriate since some schools don't allow that.

Did you send a thank you note after your interview? I forgot to ask and I don't know if it isappropriate since some schools don't allow that.
I sent thank you emails out to mine, and asked a follow up question I ended up having.

Is anyone still waiting to hear from Jefferson? My OTCAS was verified 9/23 and I haven't received any update yet

Is anyone still waiting to hear from Jefferson? My OTCAS was verified 9/23 and I haven't received any update yet
Yes I'm still waiting! Mine was verified 10/21.

Hi. For those that received interview dates, did you guys have to fill out the supplementary app?

yes i filled out the supplementary app

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we have to pay the $25 for the supplementary app? The other programs that have sent additional applications to me have waived the fee.

yeah i paid it...:/ it didn't look like they offered to waive it.

Just got an email about an interview!

I just got an email with an acceptance! Though there was no scholarship offer or anything included...

Reactions: 1 users
I applied to TJU over a month ago and am still waiting to hear back! Has anyone been denied yet? Just curious if they let you know.

I just got an email with an acceptance! Though there was no scholarship offer or anything included...
For me they gave me the details later, so I wouldn't worry.

Reactions: 1 user