Program-Specific Info / Q's Thomas Jefferson University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

im wondering if any current OTD students at TJU would be willing to post or PM me about their experience in the program?
 
im wondering if any current OTD students at TJU would be willing to post or PM me about their experience in the program?
If you have any specific questions you can ask me, since I think I already posted about my experience elsewhere in this post. I dunno if anyone else from the class still posts here TBH (my class is the first OTDe year).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you have any specific questions you can ask me, since I think I already posted about my experience elsewhere in this post. I dunno if anyone else from the class still posts here TBH (my class is the first OTDe year).
i would appreciate insight into any/all of these questions, sry in advance for the length of this post...

thanks bokonomy, you post a lot and im grateful for the info you give to these forums! im wondering if you could share your decision making process for picking tju, whether it be the faculty/research/opportunities, and is there anything about the program that you didnt realize until you started? how have you liked living in/adjusting to philadelphia (unless you are from there) and also if you could share any possible areas to live in that are within a reasonable distance to the campus, are safe, but are not ridiculously expensive/do u live with other ot students? and also, how do the OTD and masters students interact/is the otd sort of a separate group of people, or do all of the ot people associate with each other? is the culture supportive/cooperative/noncompetitive? and if you have had any fieldwork yet, do you feel prepared?

thank you and again sorry for the length. and again feel free to answer/not answer any of these ?s.
 
i would appreciate insight into any/all of these questions, sry in advance for the length of this post...

thanks bokonomy, you post a lot and im grateful for the info you give to these forums! im wondering if you could share your decision making process for picking tju, whether it be the faculty/research/opportunities, and is there anything about the program that you didnt realize until you started? how have you liked living in/adjusting to philadelphia (unless you are from there) and also if you could share any possible areas to live in that are within a reasonable distance to the campus, are safe, but are not ridiculously expensive/do u live with other ot students? and also, how do the OTD and masters students interact/is the otd sort of a separate group of people, or do all of the ot people associate with each other? is the culture supportive/cooperative/noncompetitive? and if you have had any fieldwork yet, do you feel prepared?

thank you and again sorry for the length. and again feel free to answer/not answer any of these ?s.
No problem! I'm not from the area and I decided to live on campus and glad I did. Martin is dorm style, and the other 2 are apartment. As a grad student, I was worried about the dorm thing, but I got to meet people in different programs and there's a kitchen on the floor and in the basement, so that's nice. If you try to find an apartment, we're in one of the nicer areas of the city, so it might be a little tricky.

A lot of my friends are master's students! We have all but 1 credit course our first semester together, and all but 2 for 2nd (Neuro lecture will be with PT students, lab just OTDs). We interact with the BS/MS too, but not as much (they seem a bit more contained than us OTDs). You get some people who are type A, but overall everyone is nice and supportive, as you would expect OTs to be. 🙂

We actually have 4 level Is: 1 in the fall, 1 for. A week in the summer, and 2 in fall of the second year. 1 in peds, 1 in hospital, 1 in mental health, and 1 in another area (no specific order except for mental health in the second year). I think how prepared you feel in your first level I is a bit luck of the draw in my opinion... Although on the bright side, you don't start until 1 month in or so. And for level 2s, we don't HAVE to do them in a specific area, as long as you don't have two in similar settings (so you can only do 1 in peds for example, but you could do the other in hands, hospitals, community mental health etc.) I think our program feels well rounded compared to some other schools I had applied to. We're not totally sure what's happening with our 3rd residency year yet (since we haven't heard of all the opportunities, you learn about them through the curriculum), but our OTD program director is awesome (so nice and dedicated!), so it'll come together.

Oh, and I was interested due to research with a specific professor, but there are opportunities to work with refugees, elder primary care/or individuals with intellectual disabilities with dementia, pediatric spinal cord injuries, design with UArts, schools...I can't even remember everything, to be honest. I'd look into the faculty pages and when you request a grad assistantship, request that professor/your field of interest (really, don't be shy for this part!) and there's a good chance you can work with them (although if you don't, you can probably ask to volunteer with them).

Hopefully that answered your questions!
 
No problem! I'm not from the area and I decided to live on campus and glad I did. Martin is dorm style, and the other 2 are apartment. As a grad student, I was worried about the dorm thing, but I got to meet people in different programs and there's a kitchen on the floor and in the basement, so that's nice. If you try to find an apartment, we're in one of the nicer areas of the city, so it might be a little tricky.

A lot of my friends are master's students! We have all but 1 credit course our first semester together, and all but 2 for 2nd (Neuro lecture will be with PT students, lab just OTDs). We interact with the BS/MS too, but not as much (they seem a bit more contained than us OTDs). You get some people who are type A, but overall everyone is nice and supportive, as you would expect OTs to be. 🙂

We actually have 4 level Is: 1 in the fall, 1 for. A week in the summer, and 2 in fall of the second year. 1 in peds, 1 in hospital, 1 in mental health, and 1 in another area (no specific order except for mental health in the second year). I think how prepared you feel in your first level I is a bit luck of the draw in my opinion... Although on the bright side, you don't start until 1 month in or so. And for level 2s, we don't HAVE to do them in a specific area, as long as you don't have two in similar settings (so you can only do 1 in peds for example, but you could do the other in hands, hospitals, community mental health etc.) I think our program feels well rounded compared to some other schools I had applied to. We're not totally sure what's happening with our 3rd residency year yet (since we haven't heard of all the opportunities, you learn about them through the curriculum), but our OTD program director is awesome (so nice and dedicated!), so it'll come together.

Oh, and I was interested due to research with a specific professor, but there are opportunities to work with refugees, elder primary care/or individuals with intellectual disabilities with dementia, pediatric spinal cord injuries, design with UArts, schools...I can't even remember everything, to be honest. I'd look into the faculty pages and when you request a grad assistantship, request that professor/your field of interest (really, don't be shy for this part!) and there's a good chance you can work with them (although if you don't, you can probably ask to volunteer with them).

Hopefully that answered your questions!
thank you so so so much bokonomy!!! i am happy that you seem to really like the program, and thanks for the detailed response.
 
My application was verified back in September and I still have yet to hear about a decision for Jefferson's MOT program....anxiously waiting!!
 
Nope I did not..hopefully that invitation will come at some point this month before that Feb. 5 deadline. Have you had an interview?
 
AH anxiously waiting as well, my app was verified a long time but still haven't heard back from them. Does anyone know if they have filled up their spots for the Master's program?
 
I recently gave up my spot there, so there should have been one that opened up this week
 
Has anyone been denied? Wondering if they've let anyone know or if they are only offering interviews at this point
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At the interview, they said they'd let you know within 4-6 weeks if you were accepted, waitlisted, or denied. I interviewed on 12/22 for the EMOT.

They also said their waitlist is merit-based, and not chronological.
 
When was your app verified?

I'm not sure of the exact date, since I've done the academic update since then - but it was early October. I received my interview request in early December.

My stats are marginal, so I don't think I was near the top of the interview list based on my verification date.
 
I interviewed at TJU om 12/8 was rejected on 12/19. Annoyed but Jess is not my top choice. I got my Temple interview offer today!😀
 
Oh, and I was interested due to research with a specific professor, but there are opportunities to work with refugees, elder primary care/or individuals with intellectual disabilities with dementia, pediatric spinal cord injuries, design with UArts, schools...I can't even remember everything, to be honest. I'd look into the faculty pages and when you request a grad assistantship, request that professor/your field of interest (really, don't be shy for this part!) and there's a good chance you can work with them (although if you don't, you can probably ask to volunteer with them).

Thank you for your insight! For the grad assistantships, are there only a few people accepted to do them? And when did you request it? I'm also interested in working with a specific professor, if I get in 😛
 
Thank you for your insight! For the grad assistantships, are there only a few people accepted to do them? And when did you request it? I'm also interested in working with a specific professor, if I get in 😛
I think most people do if they apply, but it's just 14 an hour and around 8 hours a week.
 
I got waitlisted at TJU and decided not to accept the offer since the potential spot they were offering would start Fall 2018.
 
I still have yet to hear anything either for EMOT. My application was verified in September and I completed the supplemental application as soon as they sent it.
 
I still have yet to hear anything either for EMOT. My application was verified in September and I completed the supplemental application as soon as they sent it.

Same here... I'm starting to get concerned. I applied last year super late and ended up getting waitlisted. Their only advice was to apply earlier for this cycle. I've emailed to follow up and still nothing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same here... I'm starting to get concerned. I applied last year super late and ended up getting waitlisted. Their only advice was to apply earlier for this cycle. I've emailed to follow up and still nothing.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one! Let me know if you hear anything. They aren't my first choice, but I thought I would at least get an interview by now.
 
Thans so much! When did you start searching for living arrangements? Sorry for all the questions!
I live on campus since I'm new to the area and it's a bit expensive in the immediate area. I actually live in the dorms and it's a cool way to meet other professions. Plus I can stay in the library until 2 in the morning near exams and not worry about getting home. I know a few who commute from Graduate Hospital but it's a bit of a trek.

Edit: Someone in our program started a FB group. You could email a link to Admissions and start it up!
 
Last edited:
Just wondering how long they waited to give you the scholarship details? within a few weeks of acceptance? or a couple of months after? Thank you!
I think it was a few weeks later, but I don't remember. I got accepted last year in January, so they might have delayed mine a bit more since I was in the first wave of acceptances.
 
Hi everyone! I know this is an old thread but is there anyone still attending Jefferson's Master's in OT (center city) program that could answer some of my questions? I have my interview in 2 weeks! I was wondering if anyone could share their experience with the program and share what they feel makes TJU's program unique. Thank you!
 
Hi everyone! I know this is an old thread but is there anyone still attending Jefferson's Master's in OT (center city) program that could answer some of my questions? I have my interview in 2 weeks! I was wondering if anyone could share their experience with the program and share what they feel makes TJU's program unique. Thank you!
I don't have any answers, but I have my interview this week too!!! So nervous! How have you been preparing?