those accepted with <24 MCAT pls read

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dirtydawg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you accepted into a DO program with a < avg MCAT score (<24), when in the cycle did you interview? were you asked about low MCAT during interview and how did you handle?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Despite my low MCAT score(s), my GPA is decent (3.6), I have excellent LORs and have experience in the healthcare field (am nontrad). My PS is also excellent and I feel I have a good chance of getting an interview even though my MCAT score sucks.

Anybody else in the same boat or have any stories they'd like to share?

Members don't see this ad.

dirtydawg said:
For those of you accepted into a DO program with a < avg MCAT score (<24), when in the cycle did you interview? were you asked about low MCAT during interview and how did you handle?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Despite my low MCAT score(s), my GPA is decent (3.6), I have excellent LORs and have experience in the healthcare field (am nontrad). My PS is also excellent and I feel I have a good chance of getting an interview even though my MCAT score sucks.

Why don't you apply now and retake the MCAT is August? 24 is kinda low, but it may be ok with your gpa and experience. I would think you should get an interview, but apply to a wife range of schools.

hey, dirtydawg i am in the same boat as you.

mcat: 24Q (Aug 03), 22M (Apr 04)
cumulative gpa: 3.64
science gpa: 3.51
non-science: 3.85

i have great LORs and over 540 hrs of volunteer, plenty of teaching experience as o-chm tutor and anatomy t.a., also i am currently shadowing a D.O. on a weekly basis. i am planning to submit my app early july and will be applying to 7 schools.

any opinions on where this boat is sailing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to PCOM as they tend to look past the MCAT and more towards the whole person. There are those who have been accepted with MCATs in the sub 20 range and from what I heard fair well. I think the key is to have excellent letters from good sources (i.e. academic physicians or those working in a high profile setting).

Good Luck

DirtyDawg,

I applied after the August '03 scores came in... sometime in October. I interviewed in late February and was accepted in early March. Granted the school I got in to had their application cycle late (LECOM - Bradenton), I got interviews at other schools as well. But I would say to apply early, I dont think it can hurt.

Best of luck.

Radak

dirtydawg said:

I got into three DO schools with a low MCAT. Don't worry about your scores. If you are well rounded you will get into one of those places. One did ask but I let them know that I was prepared for the test. If you get an interview don't sweat it. They like you and think you fit there school. It is just a matter of seeing how you handle yourself. Good luck and I would apply.

Thanks for the positive input and for coming forth and admitting what is considered "taboo"- admitting to a low MCAT score. I've got to believe that there are a lot more of us out there who actually do get below avg scores especially considering that the avg score is a 24. That means that there are those with 28s and those with 20s and 21s who get in.
I am going to (re)apply despite my scores. I feel I've polished the rest of my app as much as possible and I'll just cross my fingers. I think getting the app in early is key as last year mine was not complete until Nov. (my premed advisor was reluctant on sending a recommendation letter due to low MCAT-it took alot of convincing, believe me).
To the OC-looks like the boat is sailing wherever we steer it! Good luck!

Please do apply. You will have a chance only if you give yourself one. By not applying, you have no chances at all. I didn't do so great on mcats either, nor was my gpa. I got interviewed at good amt of schools and ended up going to NYCOM by choice.

If you fear that low MCAT might make you do poorly compare to other students at your school w/ higher mcats, then try your best to throw those fears away because it is false indication.

Goodluck.

dirtydawg said:
Thanks for the positive input and for coming forth and admitting what is considered "taboo"- admitting to a low MCAT score. I've got to believe that there are a lot more of us out there who actually do get below avg scores especially considering that the avg score is a 24.

it's nice to hear some positive from someone else in the same position!!! I am applying to DO this year, and plan to take the MCAT again in August, but its good to know schools can/and do look at other things besides the test scores!

Good luck with everything :)

Your MCAT score does not predict how well you will do in med school!! I didn't do that well on the MCAT and am doing very well w/ all of my classes! So definately don't let that discourage you :)

Good luck!!

Thanks again for all of the positive input and support. I look forward to having you guys as my colleagues (hee hee). For those of you accepted (lilangel, sia simba) was it brought up in your interview?
Also, I am going to assume these scores are 20-24 range. I get tired of reading other posts of people complaining how they bombed the MCAT only to read on and find they got a 29. Get real.
Anyway, thanks again. I'll keep you all posted...please do the same!

man listening to all you guys is encouraging. problem is there is only one DO school in texas, TCOM. and i hear that they are pretty competitive. i have met two of the adcom members there and both where very encouraging. their average MCAT score is a 26. i didnt get a 26. i would prefer to stay in texas because of the tuition. too bad there is only one DO school here in this state, i love the DO philosophy.

jtorres said:
man listening to all you guys is encouraging. problem is there is only one DO school in texas, TCOM. and i hear that they are pretty competitive. i have met two of the adcom members there and both where very encouraging. their average MCAT score is a 26. i didnt get a 26. i would prefer to stay in texas because of the tuition. too bad there is only one DO school here in this state, i love the DO philosophy.

Please. Just be thankful that you have a STATE DO school. Most who "love the philosophy" aren't given this oppurtunity.

Members don't see this ad :)
jtorres said:

Yeah, I agree with you, however OSU-COM is a great school also, and only 4 hours from Dallas.

None of them directly asked me about my MCATs. A couple of my interviewers asked me what I thought the weakest part of my application was and I said my MCATS. I just told them that it isn't reflective how how well I do in my classes b/c it was only a one day test...that the grades I have received throughout college are more indicitive how how I'll succeed. Some of my interviewers didn't have my statistics...pretty much if you get an interview your numbers are fine..they just want to see what your personality is like and if they feel you would make a great physician. Good luck, I hope this helps!

I, too, am grateful for all the encouragement as I also didn't do the greatest on my April MCAT. A friend of mine who is beginning medical school this fall encouraged me to apply anyway, even though my scores were weak. So, I think I will and see what happens. Part of the reason, I feel, that I didn't do well on the MCAT is that I still have yet to finish my Physics and Organic Chemistry series. I'm starting them in the fall.

Anyone that can share any info as to which DO schools tend to "look past" a low MCAT score, please do! I'm definitely one of these students who is going to have to rely heavily on GPA, LoRs, and extracurricular activities! :D

v-lander said:
I, too, am grateful for all the encouragement as I also didn't do the greatest on my April MCAT. A friend of mine who is beginning medical school this fall encouraged me to apply anyway, even though my scores were weak. So, I think I will and see what happens. Part of the reason, I feel, that I didn't do well on the MCAT is that I still have yet to finish my Physics and Organic Chemistry series. I'm starting them in the fall.

Anyone that can share any info as to which DO schools tend to "look past" a low MCAT score, please do! I'm definitely one of these students who is going to have to rely heavily on GPA, LoRs, and extracurricular activities! :D
I think looking past depends on your experience and how low "low" is. I mean, the average accepted score is 26 all around, and higher st some schools, so a 24 may not be too bad, but once you start getting lower than that I think you really need some amazing stuff to make up for it.

jtorres said:
That's awesome news. TCOM is my #1 choice. I don't suppose you know any stats about the average MCAT, GPA for the DO/Ph.D program, do you? I got a 29, have a 3.5 GPA (about the same in science), and am a non-trad. I have also been volunteering at the UNT-HSC since Feb. as well as my community volunteer work. I was hoping for a stellar MCAT to deter from my spotty transcript, GPA, and lack of medically-related experience.The aspiration for the dual degree is the ONLY reason I've signed up to retake, but I'm going ahead and applying, anyway.

Good luck, jt. See you in Fall 2005! I'll be the one with the big grin and slide rule)

My mcat grades were brought up during interview, but only part of it. I didn't do bad in every subject, I just did bad on my verbal which brought my entire mcat grade down. I answered them honestly in why I thought I did bad and what I am doing to try and improve.

sia_simba said:
I just did bad on my verbal which brought my entire mcat grade down. .

I think doing bad in any section will bring your whole MCAT grade down. ;)

So, what is the average MCAT score of osteopathic schools? Is it 24 or 26? I did find that MSU was about 24, is this typical for the other schools? Is there a web site with this current info?

According to AACOM, the average MCAT for matriculants is around 24-25. However, each school will post their respective classes MCAT average or inform you when you interview.

TUCOM class of 2006 was 27, and class of 2007 was 26.3
KCOM class of 2006 was 27 and class of 2007 was 26
CCOM class of 2007 is around 26
UHS or KCUMB is 24

That's all I am familiar with.

you bet your bottom dollar i'll see you next fall at tcom untlabrat. i will have a big smile on my face also but we wont be smiling for too long after that though. that dr. alvarez cell phys class in year 1 will take our manhood away (assuming your male, if not sorry. if female, are you good looking? just kidding!) good luck to you. i dont know to much about their phD program though. they dont give out much info on it.

jtorres and UNTlabrat,

Welcome to the TCOM fold. You'll really like it here. We're (mostly) really great to have around and easy to get along with. We have our problems, but every family's a little dysfunctional. Besides, you're at an osteopathic institution to learn about dysfunction (of the somatic sort), right?

Just FYI, Dr. Alvarez won't emasculate you (or efeminate [I've just coined a new term...] you, if you're of the female persuasion), just be prepared to be really bored (he talks about PARP incessantly - none of which is actually tested) and try to decipher what he says... he has a really thick accent.

Good luck and again, Welcome!

Jonethan De.

thank you for the welcome delaughterDO. just one visit to your school and about an hour of socializing with some of the students and i was sold. i have visited two other schools (A&M and UT-Southwestern) but TCOM is more my personality type. with me wanting to go into primary care, i feel DO is the best route to go. do you know victor rosales? if so tell him a friend says hi.

jtorres,

You know Vic, huh? I'm sorry.. just kidding. He definitely has an.... interesting.... personality. I'll tell him next time I see him. We start clinics next week, so I don't know when that will be.

Jonethan De.

Here are my specs:

-English major from Villanova University
-3.63 overall
~3.45 science
-shadowed an internist [MD] for nearly 60 hours
-shadowed an anesthesiologist [DO] for a brief time
-shadowed a urologist [MD] for a brief time
-volunteered in hospice
-tutored underprivileged 3rd-6th graders in west philadelphia for a year in math
-work as an orderly (Nursing Assistant I) in surgery --- waiting for expected promotion to NA II at hospital

Having written papers for 4 years, I feel that my PS is strong and flowing.

I take the MCAT at the end of May 2008, though my practice tests never yield more than a 20. While OSU and OU say that 21 is the minimum, is any ever accepted with a score below the minimum?

I really want to go to OSU-COM (I am a resident of Oklahoma).

Should I even apply this year? I graduated in 2007, and if I don't apply this year, then I'll have to bite the bullet and wait until August 2010 entry.

My opinion: you're not ready to take the MCAT yet. I'd say re-aim for August and get a prep course done between now and then. With your GPA I would expect you to do fine with a September/October app.

So you're saying that I should not bother taking the May MCAT?

So you're saying that I should not bother taking the May MCAT?

That's what I'm saying. You're playing with fire, sitting on a 20 in practice tests. It costs $50 to postpone your test date.

Somebody else will pipe up with a 2nd opinion for you.

Are you KIDDING ME? This thread is FOUR YEARS OLD!

If you haven't started a thread lately, new posters are presented with a great deal of anti-new-thread messaging that says "add to an existing thread, here are some that might work"

Excellent new poster behavior, imho.

24Q
3.72 Cumulative GPA
3.50 Science GPA
3.91 Non-Science GPA

Bio Major
Bioethics, Chemistry Minors

1 acceptance
3 waitlists
3 interviews that I declined -- i didnt wanna go there
1 interview coming up in May

I suppose that's true Midlife. But posting in the "what are my chances" thread that's made for this purpose year to year would give them more current information to sort through.

A four year old stats thread isn't much good anymore -- lots of stats have changed since then (mostly upwards).

I agree that you should take your MCAT at a later time. August test should be fine, although you might want to prepare all the additional materials ( PS, LORs, fill out most of your aacomas application, etc etc) earlier. This way you can just click a button and send you application as soon as your scores are available, and still be pretty early in the process:thumbup:

But don't bother taking MCAT with a practice score of 20. Aim at least for a 26-28 on your practice tests.

I suppose that's true Midlife. But posting in the "what are my chances" thread that's made for this purpose year to year would give them more current information to sort through.

A four year old stats thread isn't much good anymore -- lots of stats have changed since then (mostly upwards).

On a new member's 2nd post, they don't know that yet. Now he/she does.

I know someone who got in interview early on with a less then average MCAT, and got in. If everything else on your application is good it helps, the MCAT is only one thing they look at.

I guess we're digging up 4 year old threads. Anyhow jejabrian, you don't know what you'll get on the MCAT so at this point you should still apply. Just study hard for the rest of the month and see what you get. While waiting for your score you should be filling out the aacomas app and getting all your essays and LORs finalized. People do get in with an MCAT less than 24. Apply broadly.

Not to hijack a 4 year old thread but....

I've always wondered why there can be such huge discrepancies between GPAs and MCAT scores.

It is odd that you can have such a high science GPA and barely pull off a 20 MCAT.

I had a 3.3 science GPA and a 32 MCAT.

Would you say the discrepancy is due to test taking ability? Luck? Grade inflation? Laziness? Or what?

At my undergrad, most of the people who got accepted there were pretty great students to begin with, and I often wondered whether I would have had a higher science GPA if I had gone to a less competitive university. I really don't know. Just a thought.

Slim. I've always kind of pondered that same thing. My guess is that many people do a memory dump after each course is done. That combined with mediocre testing abilities can lead to lower scores I guess. Many people in college can get solid grades by what I call the "brute force approach". It isn't necessarily that they understand the material as much as it is the sheer amount of time they study it and almost commit everyone to memory for a particular test. Nothing wrong with it at the time. They work hard and earn whatever they earn, but I feel the highly inefficient brute force methods will swing back in a lot of people's faces once they get into med school.

Slim. I've always kind of pondered that same thing. My guess is that many people do a memory dump after each course is done. That combined with mediocre testing abilities can lead to lower scores I guess. Many people in college can get solid grades by what I call the "brute force approach". It isn't necessarily that they understand the material as much as it is the sheer amount of time they study it and almost commit everyone to memory for a particular test. Nothing wrong with it at the time. They work hard and earn whatever they earn, but I feel the highly inefficient brute force methods will swing back in a lot of people's faces once they get into med school.

::sigh:: I would like to believe that's not what I do since I had a similar issue with my application. I did well on my SATs and GRE but still to this day can't figure out what happened with the MCATs. Also, it's not particularly encouraging to hear form allo schools that they won't interview me because of my MCAT score despite liking the rest of my application. I had the directors of admissions at both Jeff and Albany tell me that they feared that I wouldn't be able to pass my boards. When I told them that I was accepted at a DO school and had planned to take both the COMLEX and USMLE boards anyways, they kind of fumbled through a sorry a$$ response and said "well, we just have evidence that people that score below X on the MCAT can't pass the boards".

I have a hard time believing that despite the fact that I am sure that the statistic is based on some real evidence. I would just like to believe that I am better than that and that I'm going to rock the boards and be an awesome doc. :rolleyes:

That's what I'm saying. You're playing with fire, sitting on a 20 in practice tests. It costs $50 to postpone your test date.

Somebody else will pipe up with a 2nd opinion for you.

I second DrMidlife. Take it when you are ready and with your grades a Kaplan class or PR would get you set for the exam. Just put the time into the class and that 20 will be a 27+

Best of Luck

::sigh:: I would like to believe that's not what I do since I had a similar issue with my application. I did well on my SATs and GRE but still to this day can't figure out what happened with the MCATs. Also, it's not particularly encouraging to hear form allo schools that they won't interview me because of my MCAT score despite liking the rest of my application. I had the directors of admissions at both Jeff and Albany tell me that they feared that I wouldn't be able to pass my boards. When I told them that I was accepted at a DO school and had planned to take both the COMLEX and USMLE boards anyways, they kind of fumbled through a sorry a$$ response and said "well, we just have evidence that people that score below X on the MCAT can't pass the boards".

I have a hard time believing that despite the fact that I am sure that the statistic is based on some real evidence. I would just like to believe that I am better than that and that I'm going to rock the boards and be an awesome doc. :rolleyes:

Ditto. I normally do well on standardized tests and have an good GPA. The MCAT is the beast I haven't been able to slay. The first time I tested, there were at least 10 or 12 questions related to genetics and populations. I took a genetics course, re-tested and there wasn't a single damn genetics question on the thing. I think those who have a very broad knowledge of the sciences do well while folks like myself may not have covered all of the topics in their coursework.

I almost gave up on going to med school after talking with an admissions board member at a local allopathic school. She told me their decision was based on 1/3 GPA, 1/3 MCAT and 1/3 interview. She then told me that my application wasn't competitive. I'm thankful that the osteopathic schools look past the numbers and see the person. I've been accepted a one school, waitlisted at another and I'm waiting to hear from a third. I'm sure those of us who didn't ace the MCAT and still have been given a chance will prove to be excellent doctors.

i always wondered why kids who are 4.0 science students can't read or write.

Okay, so say I take the Kaplan course and then take the actual exam in August. Isn't September a detrimental time to be applying? Especially if, god forbid, I only bring my score up to a 24-26? I feel like I would be obligated to at least get a 30 if I were to apply that late...and a 10 pt increase in such a short time doesn't seem likely.

Holycow... very old thread. I didn't even notice my silly post. =) 4 years ago and 4 years now...

If you are really fixed on taking the MCAT, I would just study very hard and take the exam. If You do bad, then take it again in August.

I applied for medical school just as everyone else did. I took my MCAT in August and just needed my grades to be faxed in. I don't think that will affect you in anyway.

Put it this way, they call me doctor in the hospital. So if i can do it, I am sure you can!

Here are my specs:

-English major from Villanova University
-3.63 overall
~3.45 science
-shadowed an internist [MD] for nearly 60 hours
-shadowed an anesthesiologist [DO] for a brief time
-shadowed a urologist [MD] for a brief time
-volunteered in hospice
-tutored underprivileged 3rd-6th graders in west philadelphia for a year in math
-work as an orderly (Nursing Assistant I) in surgery --- waiting for expected promotion to NA II at hospital

Having written papers for 4 years, I feel that my PS is strong and flowing.

I take the MCAT at the end of May 2008, though my practice tests never yield more than a 20. While OSU and OU say that 21 is the minimum, is any ever accepted with a score below the minimum?

I really want to go to OSU-COM (I am a resident of Oklahoma).

Should I even apply this year? I graduated in 2007, and if I don't apply this year, then I'll have to bite the bullet and wait until August 2010 entry.
Yes. You should apply and you'd probably have a good chance. I know a few people that got in with < 24 at OSU-COM that were state residents. I know 2 people with 21's. They really look at the whole applicant. :luck:

Okay, so say I take the Kaplan course and then take the actual exam in August. Isn't September a detrimental time to be applying? Especially if, god forbid, I only bring my score up to a 24-26? I feel like I would be obligated to at least get a 30 if I were to apply that late...and a 10 pt increase in such a short time doesn't seem likely.

As long as you are over 21 you have a good shot at it. As long as you are over 26 and have a normal personality you should get in. As for why a high GPA did not translate into a good MCAT score, simple the MCAT is really not about what you learned in these classes. I know it does test the basic knowledge of these classes but in the end it tests your reasoning abilities not plugging and chugging. I think a little practice on this type of test from PR or Kaplan will really help you. Just remember to do the homework from these classes!

Best of luck