Those Applying to AA School....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the info Endee!

Members don't see this ad.

I have decided to attend the Fort Lauderdale, Nova campus. For those of you going I will see ya May 31st.

I have a quick question, mostly for those of you who are going to Nova, where did you find an AA to shadow? I live in Plantation and am a current MPH student, and never get responses from anyone at Nova's AA program about getting in contact with graduates or other who would allow me to shadow. Is there a directory that anyone is aware of?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a quick question, mostly for those of you who are going to Nova, where did you find an AA to shadow? I live in Plantation and am a current MPH student, and never get responses from anyone at Nova's AA program about getting in contact with graduates or other who would allow me to shadow. Is there a directory that anyone is aware of?

Thank you!

I shadowed in Orlando. I was with an anesthesiologist. You don't have to shadow an AA. It can be any of the three types of providers. Try the doctors. Try the hospitals themselves. Try outpatient surgery centers. Anywhere with an OR is going to have anesthesia.

I shadowed in Orlando. I was with an anesthesiologist. You don't have to shadow an AA. It can be any of the three types of providers. Try the doctors. Try the hospitals themselves. Try outpatient surgery centers. Anywhere with an OR is going to have anesthesia.

Thanks, Endee. I will call around. I have tried a few anesthesiologists, but no luck so far.

I have had at least 100 hours shadowing in the OR, just not with the anesthesia providers.

You must be getting excited to start soon? Was Nova the only AA school you applied to?

Thanks, Endee. I will call around. I have tried a few anesthesiologists, but no luck so far.

I have had at least 100 hours shadowing in the OR, just not with the anesthesia providers.

You must be getting excited to start soon? Was Nova the only AA school you applied to?

You have no idea. But I'm sure half of my excitement is being able to leave my job and the other half is starting AA school. Nova was the only place I applied to because I already have an apartment here in Plantation and I didn't want to leave South Florida.

As a last resort, is there any chance you can contact the anesthesia group/personnel that was doing the anesthesia while you were shadowing in the OR so that they can sign off that you observed?

You have no idea. But I'm sure half of my excitement is being able to leave my job and the other half is starting AA school. Nova was the only place I applied to because I already have an apartment here in Plantation and I didn't want to leave South Florida.

As a last resort, is there any chance you can contact the anesthesia group/personnel that was doing the anesthesia while you were shadowing in the OR so that they can sign off that you observed?

I could try that, but I think I still have some time to shadow. My semester ends in less than a month, and then I really have nothing to do (for once!) until fall accept apply to AA programs. I have everything else ready to go, just need that stupid sheet filled out...lol.

I am applying to all the programs...and to be honest...part of me wants to get out of South Florida. I like it, but I don't love it. I am from the North originally and would like to head back that way. However, Nova is a great school and if it is the only place I get in I will still be completely happy.

Applying to many schools is a great idea. I kind of wish I applied to others (only did NOVA) to see what else is out there. During my interview at NOVA the professors highly encouraged everyone to apply to as many as possible to get a feel of where you will fit in best. So during your interview there let them know that and share your experiences with them. Plus it shows a great level of committment that you put a lot of effort into the admissions process and willing to test other waters.
As far as shadowing goes, I was fortunate enough to observe an AA and an anest.MD (in Tampa) who really went out of their way to help me out with the app. process and work with my schedule. Although not strictly necessary, I would recommend trying to find an AA so you get first hand experience in addition to your already extensive OR experiences. Good luck.

Applying to many schools is a great idea. I kind of wish I applied to others (only did NOVA) to see what else is out there. During my interview at NOVA the professors highly encouraged everyone to apply to as many as possible to get a feel of where you will fit in best. So during your interview there let them know that and share your experiences with them. Plus it shows a great level of committment that you put a lot of effort into the admissions process and willing to test other waters.
As far as shadowing goes, I was fortunate enough to observe an AA and an anest.MD (in Tampa) who really went out of their way to help me out with the app. process and work with my schedule. Although not strictly necessary, I would recommend trying to find an AA so you get first hand experience in addition to your already extensive OR experiences. Good luck.

Thanks for the great advice! I am happy to know they like to see a candidate who wants to be an AA no matter which school they want to go to.

I will keep working at finding an AA to shadow, because I would really love to see how they go about their day and how the whole admissions process went for them. I also plan on applying super early, as in the day the application opens. Lol. I feel like a competative applicant, as I was all set for the med school application process, so hopefully I can find a nice AA that will let me shadow and I can get a good AA letter of rec.

Thanks again for the advice and encouragment!

I'm currently working on my ASN, will be taking and ICU position asap and finishing my BSN online. I plan on applying to CRNA programs when I get the required ICU experience.

What is the difference between an AA and a CRNA? Why would one choose one over the other?

Thanks,

~BB

I'm currently working on my ASN, will be taking and ICU position asap and finishing my BSN online. I plan on applying to CRNA programs when I get the required ICU experience.

What is the difference between an AA and a CRNA? Why would one choose one over the other?

Thanks,

~BB

If you are already in the nursing route, there's no real reason to go to AA school instead of CRNA school, unless you have philosophical differences. Maybe Josh can comment, since he has a BSN but still went to AA school.

I chose AA school because I have a science degree and didn't want to have to go back, get a BSN, work as a nurse, then do CRNA school, when I can just go to AA school right now.

www.anesthetist.org for many answers. See the FAQ.

If you are already in the nursing route, there's no real reason to go to AA school instead of CRNA school, unless you have philosophical differences. Maybe Josh can comment, since he has a BSN but still went to AA school.

I chose AA school because I have a science degree and didn't want to have to go back, get a BSN, work as a nurse, then do CRNA school, when I can just go to AA school right now.

www.anesthetist.org for many answers. See the FAQ.

Thanks.

I have a degeree in Microbiology, but am working on my ASN so I suppose I'll be able to apply to either, but after google-ing it I think I may stick with CRNA as it seems more flexible as far as where you can practice goes.

From what I've read, there seems to be a bit of animosity between CRNA's/AA's. I'm assuming this is the case for most PA/NPs gathering from the fun conversations my brother-in-law, a PA, and my wife, an NP, have had. Hopefully this tension has lightened up in the anesthesia realm.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey for those of you who have already started the course...are you working at all or planning to work while studying? Cuz I know Nova strongly suggests their students do not work, due to the heavy study load, but I'm finding that to be almost impossible--given the economy n what not...

I'm working PRN as a murse with a minimum of 24 hours a month. It has been definitely manageable to work during the the first semester of school, which is theoretically our hardest semester didactically.

Eventually the schedule will shut down my ability to work, but I plan on working for at least the first year.

I'm working PRN as a murse with a minimum of 24 hours a month. It has been definitely manageable to work during the the first semester of school, which is theoretically our hardest semester didactically.

Eventually the schedule will shut down my ability to work, but I plan on working for at least the first year.

That's good to know...I was semi freaking out with regards to that lol..thanks!

How do Admissions council look at GPA? Do they analyze your overall cumulative GPA or focus on Biology, Chemistry, Physics, (Math?). Or do they look at the GPA solely based on all the Pre-Req requirements (including English)? Thanks.

How do Admissions council look at GPA? Do they analyze your overall cumulative GPA or focus on Biology, Chemistry, Physics, (Math?). Or do they look at the GPA solely based on all the Pre-Req requirements (including English)? Thanks.

A few years ago I applied to Wake Forest for CRNA. I had straight As throughout school, except for the 2nd semester of my sophmore year during my first undergrad degree (Poly Sci major). I got a BSN much later. That particular semester I had all Fs. As you can imagine, it KILLED my GPA. A 4.0 became a 1.8 in a hurry. They asked me to explain it during the interview. I told them what happened that year (a death in my immediate family). They didn't comment on it otherwise, and I was wait listed. I was accepted the following year but had already decided not to go by then.

In summary, in my experience, everything I ever took (even law school) was included in the transcript/GPA assessment. If something is way out of your norm, as it was for me (all As except for 4 Fs in the same semester), it won't hurt as much as inconsistency across the board, like As here, Bs there, occcasional Cs. They want to know that an applicant has the apptitude and committment, even in classes they don't love. They want bright people who are going to work hard. They use the GPA as a barometer of those things.

Good luck!:)

A few years ago I applied to Wake Forest for CRNA. I had straight As throughout school, except for the 2nd semester of my sophmore year during my first undergrad degree (Poly Sci major). I got a BSN much later. That particular semester I had all Fs. As you can imagine, it KILLED my GPA. A 4.0 became a 1.8 in a hurry. They asked me to explain it during the interview. I told them what happened that year (a death in my immediate family). They didn't comment on it otherwise, and I was wait listed. I was accepted the following year but had already decided not to go by then.

In summary, in my experience, everything I ever took (even law school) was included in the transcript/GPA assessment. If something is way out of your norm, as it was for me (all As except for 4 Fs in the same semester), it won't hurt as much as inconsistency across the board, like As here, Bs there, occcasional Cs. They want to know that an applicant has the apptitude and committment, even in classes they don't love. They want bright people who are going to work hard. They use the GPA as a barometer of those things.

Good luck!:)

Thank You ChillyRN. I really appreciate your input and contribution of your sharing your experience. Helpful indeed. :)

I have another question. For those who applied to AA program was there any section in the application process where you could explain certain unfavorable areas in your application? Please help guys. This coming up cycle is will come in the blink of an eye (end of summer practically). Thanks.

Hey everyone! I know it's been a while, and most of you probably don't even check this forum anymore, but I'm wondering how classes are going for those of you enrolled in the program. Post some feedback if you can, please! (Especially those at Nova...lol) Thanks and hope all's well with everyone! =)

I am new to the AA school thing b/c didn't realize that they existed. AA's are not allowed where I am from, but hopefully they will in the near future. I am taking a post bac masters program at midwestern in arizona to gain acceptance to DO school. But after much deliberation after a couple months of the program and looking around I think AA school might be a better fit. So my question is if I have a 22 on my MCAT and keep my masters program GPA of 3.63 up, is there a chance of gaining acceptance to a program? thanks

I have a B.S. degree in Human Biology and Physiology (all AA-C program requirments are met). I am currently in a RRT program and it is so easy I am bored out of my mind. I am applying to DO school but think a program like NOVA's AA-C to be an interesting opportunity. Does anyone know the average GPA/MCAT (mine 3.2 (4.0 more recently) MCAT 29) score for their program. I have spent at least 8 hours looking on every forum/website possible with no luck, so I hope someone can help me out.

I have a B.S. degree in Human Biology and Physiology (all AA-C program requirments are met). I am currently in a RRT program and it is so easy I am bored out of my mind. I am applying to DO school but think a program like NOVA's AA-C to be an interesting opportunity. Does anyone know the average GPA/MCAT (mine 3.2 (4.0 more recently) MCAT 29) score for their program. I have spent at least 8 hours looking on every forum/website possible with no luck, so I hope someone can help me out.

stay in the RRT program. it will give you a leg up versus other applicants considering the patient care experience and the knowledge youll gain in critical care, acid-base balance, mechanical ventilation and hemodynamics. good luck

stay in the RRT program. it will give you a leg up versus other applicants considering the patient care experience and the knowledge youll gain in critical care, acid-base balance, mechanical ventilation and hemodynamics. good luck

Have to agree with Rampa here... although I am a bit biased! :D

Rampa, are you still applying for next year? I have wrestled with my decision and have determined that, for me, medical school is the best fit. I'm currently in the application process for that.

Good luck to all prospective applicants!

A few questions:

1. How competitive is AA school? Compared to Med or Dental?
2. How great do my ECs need to be? By the time I graduate, I will have volunteered at a hospital and shadowed a few docs, but besides that, I don't have much...
I know at PA schools, there's an expectation that you have worked in the health industry for at least a year. Is there anything like that for AA school? Would those straight out from undergrad be at a disadvantage?
3. I notice they have a calculus requirement, but does it have to be calc I? Is business calculus okay?

Thanks all in advance

I would have to agree as well. There is much more to anesthesia than airway management and mechanical ventilation, but mastering those concepts pre-matriculation allows you to focus in other areas of difficulty.

I understand the value of the concepts to be learned in the RRT program I am in. The program is online except for clinical and labs. It has a bad rep among the therapists I work with. I am in the second semester of the program (7 consecutive semester program). I am learning next to nothing and I have horrible teachers. I am applying to AA-C school this year. I have a 4.0 in the RRT program and an MPH program I am in. The 3.2 I got in my undergrad is bc I worked 40-100 hrs a week while getting two BS in 3.5 years (with 86 credits of 300-400 level science courses all physiology-patho-anatomy-pharm related). I also had every grandparent in my family die, and had recurrent mono (losing 50 lbs). I literally only went to class to take tests. Yes I am paying for it now (my low GPA) but I have no debt, a nice car and a 2000 sq ft house and I am 23 years old. My MCAT of 29 (which I didn't study for, so if need be I will retake) my healthcare experience, ECA's, and LOR from several physicians who are on the faculty of the local med school can get me in without spending the time and money in a bad RRT program. The link posted was for Emory grades: I am a competitive applicant there. NOVA when I called stated a science GPA of 3.4-3.5 and overall 3.7 and MCAT 26-28. I am not applying there. Looks like South or Emory for me.

Has anyone else read that Emory does not teach regional anaesthesia? Do other schools teach or not teach this? Will this after job offers/pay?

Good luck to everyone

Some of you have stated that you are studying basic anesthesia textbooks for your interviews. Has this been of any value?

I saw somewhere else that some math questions where asked, what format where they in and in relation to what topic?

What is the interview format like at Emory and South?

Anyone from the Midwest move to Georgia? How do u like the weather/ culture?

Some of you have stated that you are studying basic anesthesia textbooks for your interviews. Has this been of any value?

I saw somewhere else that some math questions where asked, what format where they in and in relation to what topic?

What is the interview format like at Emory and South?

Anyone from the Midwest move to Georgia? How do u like the weather/ culture?

I moved from Colorado to Atlanta. Weather is warmer in the winter and the summer. Air conditioning makes the Summer tolerable. Culture compared to most of the worlds (ie not Chicago, NY, LA) is good. All the major sports, good museum, symphony etc. Great local music scene. Even rap if thats your bag. You are also around four hours from the ocean or the gulf. Far enough that hurricaines aren't an issue but near enough to be convenient.

Best of all there is a world class international airport which means you can be anywhere in the world if you get sick of it. For exampe last two weeks of rain and clouds called for three days in the Bahamas. Overall I like it better than I thought I would.

David Carpenter, PA-C

I've been interested in AA program for quite a time and I recently decided to apply for AA school next year.
I prefer AA to CRNA.
But I am an engineering student,which means I don't have experience in this profession or any profession close to it.
Can anyone kindly give me any suggestions of how I am able to get in this program?
I notice that schools like Emory, Nova etc. require applicants to have at least one day shadowing experience with MDA etc. It is not an issue for applicants already working in health profession. But it is a great drawback to me...

Last edited:
I've been interested in AA program for quite a time and I recently decided to apply for AA school next year.
I prefer AA to CRNA.
But I am an engineering student,which means I don't have experience in this profession or any profession close to it.
Can anyone kindly give me any suggestions of how I am able to get in this program?
I notice that schools like Emory, Nova etc. require applicants to have at least one day shadowing experience with MDA etc. It is not an issue for applicants already working in health profession. But it is a great drawback to me...

Engineering students do very well in these programs - in fact the original Emory program and the current South program were started with EE's.

Getting a shadowing opportunity at Case shouldn't be a problem.

I prefer AA to CRNA.

I work in healthcare and bc I dont work in the OR it is not any easier to set up a shadowing experience. It is not a hard thing to do either way. Look up the numbers for local anaesthesiologists, call them until one of them says yes. If that doesn't work go to their office and ask. If that doesn't work call the CRNA supervisor for an OR at a hospital near you. Eventually someone will says yes. I had to shadow a CRNA who was 2 weeks out of school (which actually was good bc she had a better perspective on what I would or wouldn't understand). If you have the phone numbers in front of you, I guarantee you can find someone to shadow within a hour on a business day. Some CRNA's might talk some smack about AA-c's (this happened when I was in the OR) take your licks. Get your observation form signed and forget about it. Some of these CRNA's are relics from the days where you didnt even need a BS degree to become a CRNA.

The focus of this thread seems to be on NOVA. I applied to Emory and was wondering if anyone had any info on what the interview there is like. Also if anyone has any info about the student housing, cost of the program, and any other info that would be great. I read on the website what the program costs but I was wondering what amount of loans a real person was actually taking out. Also what are the classes like? How much studying, did you like your teachers, that sort of stuff.

Hey guys, I am starting to get my applications together for AA schools...what's the deal with these reference forms? Are they required?

It seems a bit silly to have to give my professors one of these forms from each school I'm applying to rather than to have them just write one LOR that I can use for every school.

Also, did whoever wrote your LOR send them directly to the school or did you get them? It seems a bit early to have them sent since some applications aren't even available yet (for June 2011).
Thanks guys

I used Interfolio and just sent the letters to the school via that website. Ask each school to make sure that is okay. It shouldn't be a problem.

Hey guys, I am starting to get my applications together for AA schools...what's the deal with these reference forms? Are they required?

It seems a bit silly to have to give my professors one of these forms from each school I'm applying to rather than to have them just write one LOR that I can use for every school.

Also, did whoever wrote your LOR send them directly to the school or did you get them? It seems a bit early to have them sent since some applications aren't even available yet (for June 2011).
Thanks guys

Hey for those of you at Nova's program, I'm curious as to the hospitals that hire AA's around south Florida...could you please give me any references?

Also, any pointers on shadowing an anesthesiologist or AA if I don't know any? Do I have to start harassing some medical professionals? :laugh:

Thanks