Those Applying to AA School....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im in Ft. Lauderdale...WOHOO....(it is -2 where I live right now).....I'll tell you all how things go later, tomorrow, after my interview.....

Well... how did things go? Enjoy the low of 58 there tonight... At least we are only down to 20 tonight. :cool:

Hope things went well for you.

:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

So I was reading an article today of how terrible the job outlook is currently--and will be for a while--and I was wondering how you all think it will (or won't) affect the AA field. I'm thinking it won't take a hit because the medical field is always in demand, but then again, it wouldn't surprise me if it does go down the slumps...my hopes for the best!:xf:

Yeah, I think that a lot of health care jobs are safe from this down turn (at least when you look at clinical jobs). People are still going to be getting sick, and they still need people to take care of them. With that being said, however, we are fully staffed where I work (in RT). We actually have several part time people that want to come to full time, but we don't have the positions for them.

There is such a shortage of anesthesia providers, though, I don't see there being a down turn in job openings anytime soon... the bigger question will be reimbursement. :( That is my opinion, at least. I sure hope these salaries stay up for another 40 years... not looking into this field for the money, but it sure is a nice perk! :D

Yeah, I think that a lot of health care jobs are safe from this down turn (at least when you look at clinical jobs). People are still going to be getting sick, and they still need people to take care of them. With that being said, however, we are fully staffed where I work (in RT). We actually have several part time people that want to come to full time, but we don't have the positions for them.

There is such a shortage of anesthesia providers, though, I don't see there being a down turn in job openings anytime soon... the bigger question will be reimbursement. :( That is my opinion, at least. I sure hope these salaries stay up for another 40 years... not looking into this field for the money, but it sure is a nice perk! :D

It is DEFINITELY a nice perk! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well... how did things go? Enjoy the low of 58 there tonight... At least we are only down to 20 tonight. :cool:

Hope things went well for you.

:xf:
Hey,

Things went very well....It was very laid back....We even got to intubate the manniquin (sp)..That was cool.....So we will see what happens....

Hey,

Things went very well....It was very laid back....We even got to intubate the manniquin (sp)..That was cool.....So we will see what happens....

That's pretty cool! What sort of questions do they ask you? I'm applying for their 2010 entering class and I'd like to know what to expect :). Hope you get accepted! :xf:

They ask you questions based on your resume and academic and employment history as well as questions regarding you fitting into the AA profession, why you want to do it, etc. So if you want to drive the conversation in any direction, just like in any interview, you can, just make it the focus of your resume and your application.

They ask you questions based on your resume and academic and employment history as well as questions regarding you fitting into the AA profession, why you want to do it, etc. So if you want to drive the conversation in any direction, just like in any interview, you can, just make it the focus of your resume and your application.

That's really great to know! Thanks for your help!! :)

....hello?
Sorry, I haven't been on for a minute..... but I was asked about my job in the OR and what drew me to the AA proffession. They asked me what my favorite class was in undergrad and then proceeded to drill me with question about that class( that was funny). He asked me how I managed being a single mom, working and going to school..They asked me about the docs that I used for my LOR's...I am sure that I am forgetting some stuff, but you get the drift....It was very laid back.....I enjoyed myself....the campus is beautiful....(as I walked around in highheels with my feet hurting. getting a visual?) We had a chance to talk to the students and ask them questions as well..... There were 5 of us at my interview....we were told that we should hear in the next week, so we are all waiting......

GO STEELERS!!!!!

So I was reading an article today of how terrible the job outlook is currently--and will be for a while--and I was wondering how you all think it will (or won't) affect the AA field. I'm thinking it won't take a hit because the medical field is always in demand, but then again, it wouldn't surprise me if it does go down the slumps...my hopes for the best!:xf:

I'm sure it will take a hit. I have a close friend who did his bachelors in Athletic Training and went back to school and completed a BSN in 13 months from a very reputable nursing program. He can't find a job. Hospitals around here are on hiring freezes. However, our area is particularly bad because we have about 8 ADN or BSN programs in the city so there are a lot of new RN grads around.

Sorry, I haven't been on for a minute..... but I was asked about my job in the OR and what drew me to the AA proffession. They asked me what my favorite class was in undergrad and then proceeded to drill me with question about that class( that was funny). He asked me how I managed being a single mom, working and going to school..They asked me about the docs that I used for my LOR's...I am sure that I am forgetting some stuff, but you get the drift....It was very laid back.....I enjoyed myself....the campus is beautiful....(as I walked around in highheels with my feet hurting. getting a visual?) We had a chance to talk to the students and ask them questions as well..... There were 5 of us at my interview....we were told that we should hear in the next week, so we are all waiting......

GO STEELERS!!!!!

Let us know when you hear back from them. They told my group (6 people) the same thing. I heard the same day, haha, but I don't know about any of the others. One person in my group was a reapplicant. I imagine I won't know until the first day of classes. If you get in, are you going? I only applied to Nova, didn't apply to any of the other programs.

Let us know when you hear back from them. They told my group (6 people) the same thing. I heard the same day, haha, but I don't know about any of the others. One person in my group was a reapplicant. I imagine I won't know until the first day of classes. If you get in, are you going? I only applied to Nova, didn't apply to any of the other programs.

If I get in, I am definitely going, but I am hoping for the tampa campus....

Members don't see this ad :)

GO STEELERS!!!!!

Well that's all really great to know...it sure takes off any concerns I had about the interview! Now to focus on that GRE exam...lol

Thanks again and good luck!! :)

I'm sure it will take a hit. I have a close friend who did his bachelors in Athletic Training and went back to school and completed a BSN in 13 months from a very reputable nursing program. He can't find a job. Hospitals around here are on hiring freezes. However, our area is particularly bad because we have about 8 ADN or BSN programs in the city so there are a lot of new RN grads around.

I feel the RN field in general is over-populated...I doubt the AA field will take as hard of a hit because there aren't many of them out there...but then again in this economy, nothing is certain! =/

Hi everyone - I recently received notice that I will be interviewing with Emory University for their AA program in 3 weeks. Can anyone give any insight as to what the interview process is like? Any suggestions on what to do when you have no idea how to answer a question? I am terrified my nerves will get the best of me.....especially if I have to recall Gen Chem on the spot! :)

I feel the RN field in general is over-populated...I doubt the AA field will take as hard of a hit because there aren't many of them out there...but then again in this economy, nothing is certain! =/

Although the Atlanta market is approaching saturation, the rest of the markets are good. Missouri is dying to have AA's, NC is now open, Florida is open and Nova is opening up a second program, so there's definitely demand there, and Oklahoma will be accepting applications shortly if they're not already.

Job placement is essentially 100% after graduation. Seek out jobs early (but not too early) and be very careful about making committments at any job before seeing some others as well. Quite a few students have gotten burned taking tuition reimbursement during their first year, only finding out later they really don't like the place they signed on with, or like another place much better.

BTW - Treat every rotation as a potential job opportunity. Memories are LONG. If you were disinterested, showed up late, didn't call if you weren't going to be there, asked to leave early every day, etc., you can pretty much mark that place off your list of potential employers. We won't want you.

Although the Atlanta market is approaching saturation, the rest of the markets are good. Missouri is dying to have AA's, NC is now open, Florida is open and Nova is opening up a second program, so there's definitely demand there, and Oklahoma will be accepting applications shortly if they're not already.

Job placement is essentially 100% after graduation. Seek out jobs early (but not too early) and be very careful about making committments at any job before seeing some others as well. Quite a few students have gotten burned taking tuition reimbursement during their first year, only finding out later they really don't like the place they signed on with, or like another place much better.

BTW - Treat every rotation as a potential job opportunity. Memories are LONG. If you were disinterested, showed up late, didn't call if you weren't going to be there, asked to leave early every day, etc., you can pretty much mark that place off your list of potential employers. We won't want you.

I was looking at Georgia as a potential relocation after graduation, but it's good to know that Florida is on the rise! Not having to move from the sunshine state is a pretty good thing! heheh =)

Thanks for the insight on the rotations...I think it goes without saying that being professional everywhere you go can only be in your best interest!

Looks like I'm going to have to delay school for yet another year...thanks to Bush's failed administration and the resulting economic crisis...but it's all good! Gives me all the more time to study and refresh my memory with the basics right?! lol

Where/what school are you at right now?

I was looking at Georgia as a potential relocation after graduation, but it's good to know that Florida is on the rise! Not having to move from the sunshine state is a pretty good thing! heheh =)

Thanks for the insight on the rotations...I think it goes without saying that being professional everywhere you go can only be in your best interest!

Looks like I'm going to have to delay school for yet another year...thanks to Bush's failed administration and the resulting economic crisis...but it's all good! Gives me all the more time to study and refresh my memory with the basics right?! lol

>
My hospital posted the single worst monthly loss in its history last Nov. and thats with expenses coming in $340,000 under budget. Has since enacted hiring freeze, defered pay raises for management and management has been asked to take 5 unpaid days a quarter. No more external education or tuition reimbursement. Oh yea, and for some reason saw it fit to cut cardiopulmonary payroll. So I went from 80 hrs pp to 72hours. So basically the full time RT's take a $5K a year hit. F'n A.

>
My hospital posted the single worst monthly loss in its history last Nov. and thats with expenses coming in $340,000 under budget. Has since enacted hiring freeze, defered pay raises for management and management has been asked to take 5 unpaid days a quarter. No more external education or tuition reimbursement. Oh yea, and for some reason saw it fit to cut cardiopulmonary payroll. So I went from 80 hrs pp to 72hours. So basically the full time RT's take a $5K a year hit. F'n A.

Remember that many AA's work for private practice groups, not the hospital.

jwk--any insights into the job market for Washington, DC? I know its a small market, but they said we can rotate there if we wanted to and I'd love to live there after I graduate.

>
Oh I agree, my post was part personal gripe. lol. However, in my disgust over the whole situation I asked for a sit down with the CEO, to try and figure out why our dept was the only one that took a hit. And he explained that the most profitable dept. in the hospital is the OR where revenue has droppped something like 35% in the past 12 months or so. I could'nt ask him why anesthesia's budguet wasn't cut without sounding confrontatinal, so I didn't. We also serve a rural and somewhat poverse population, so perhaps the effects of a bad economy are more drastic here than in urban areas. Never did get an answer to my question tho.

Hey everyone. After reading all your posts I wanted to add that I just applied to the Tampa Campus AA. I live 5 minutes from the campus so hopefully things will go well. The only thing that worries me is I just took the GRE and bombed the verbal section, I had no clue it would be that tough. But did awesome on the Math portion and believe I did good on the essays. How long did it take some of you to hear back from admissions after applying?

I got called for an interview like 2 weeks or so after having a complete application.

KNC have you heard anything yet? You should have, right?

I got called for an interview like 2 weeks or so after having a complete application.

KNC have you heard anything yet? You should have, right?
Yes, I did.... I heard on a Sun. of all days.....By that time I was asking GOd what was going on.... Im in at Tampa or Ft. L.....I think I am going to choose Tampa......So sunshine State here I come!!!

Yes, I did.... I heard on a Sun. of all days.....By that time I was asking GOd what was going on.... Im in at Tampa or Ft. L.....I think I am going to choose Tampa......So sunshine State here I come!!!

Congrats, glad to hear that things worked out for you!

:D

Congrats, glad to hear that things worked out for you!

:D

Thanks..... I did start to worry for a minute......So, good luck to all of those that have applications still out there... and for those applying next year.....

-KNC. Don't choose Tampa, I live in Tampa and there are lots of carjackers, the weather is terrible, and nothing at all to do...i'm just joshin ya. None of that is true, I just want more seats available for me..haha. Actually the campus is in a smaller town called Brandon, like 10 minutes from "downtown", its a laid back area. I say "downtown" because if you've never been to Tampa, it has no qualities of a real city like those up north. Everything is really spread out, but that's why I like it. Anyways, congrats on the acceptance and feel free to post any questions you might have about the area, I know it inside and out.

Boo to all of you people going to Tampa! Ft Lauderdale is better!! Dont let drawings of nice new buildings fool you!!!

Where/what school are you at right now?

I'm not in school right now...I graduated from Nova last year as an undergrad. I just have to do some pre-requisite classes in order to get into the AA program because I didn't major in any science in my undergrad years.

I've been to tampa before...it is hideous and there are no beaches lol...Fort Lauderdale is way nicer, there's far more to do (not that you're really going to have time to do anything anyway! lol), and the beaches ROCK!! :D

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted!! I still have to wait another year to apply...but it's all good! Can't wait!! :D

Has anyone noticed fundamental differences between Tampa program or FTL program through their interviews? Or is the difference just the area it is in?

I've been to tampa before...it is hideous and there are no beaches lol...Fort Lauderdale is way nicer, there's far more to do (not that you're really going to have time to do anything anyway! lol), and the beaches ROCK!! :D

Ouch MadScience..
Tampa is not that bad..you just have to know where to go. But I respect your opinion nonetheless. And I only give you partial credit about the beaches thing, the Ft L. campus is closer to the beach, but I've been to every major beach on both coasts (lived in South FL my whole life) and none of them hold a candle to Siesta Key (appx 45 mins south of Tampa campus) or even Clearwater (appx 40 mins West) for that matter. Siesta was has been rated among the top ten beaches, consistently, in the world. Last year the Travel Channel named it the best sand beach in America because the sand is pure white and no shells. Trust me, you'll realize the importance of this once you walk on Ft L beach in the middle of the summer and get blisters from how hot the sand gets. But I guess if you've lived up North your whole life as long as its a beach people don't care. I guess i'm spoiled. (actually going to clearwater beach this weekend to party for the Super Bowl, haha)
I go to Ft. L about once a month, my girlfriend's family is there, they have some pretty bad areas there as well, especially closer to Miami. It's really a toss up between the two areas. Many pros and cons for both as far as location.
But like Endee said, not much known about the actual facility. I've driven by many times and I know the building is in an office park and its kept up pretty nice. Never been inside though. I'm curious with how smooth this program will run in its inauguration.
Honestly in the end...I wouldn't care which one I go to as long as I get in!

The AAAA annual meeting is in Clearwater this year.

Ouch MadScience..
Tampa is not that bad..you just have to know where to go. But I respect your opinion nonetheless. And I only give you partial credit about the beaches thing, the Ft L. campus is closer to the beach, but I've been to every major beach on both coasts (lived in South FL my whole life) and none of them hold a candle to Siesta Key (appx 45 mins south of Tampa campus) or even Clearwater (appx 40 mins West) for that matter. Siesta was has been rated among the top ten beaches, consistently, in the world. Last year the Travel Channel named it the best sand beach in America because the sand is pure white and no shells. Trust me, you'll realize the importance of this once you walk on Ft L beach in the middle of the summer and get blisters from how hot the sand gets. But I guess if you've lived up North your whole life as long as its a beach people don't care. I guess i'm spoiled. (actually going to clearwater beach this weekend to party for the Super Bowl, haha)
I go to Ft. L about once a month, my girlfriend's family is there, they have some pretty bad areas there as well, especially closer to Miami. It's really a toss up between the two areas. Many pros and cons for both as far as location.
But like Endee said, not much known about the actual facility. I've driven by many times and I know the building is in an office park and its kept up pretty nice. Never been inside though. I'm curious with how smooth this program will run in its inauguration.
What would you concider the better area to look for apt?.....not more than 20to25 minutes away from the school if possible...

What would you concider the better area to look for apt?.....not more than 20to25 minutes away from the school if possible...
I need to narrow my search for a house too. I need a 4 bedroom as I am bring my wife and 3 kids with me... :D

We thought about buying, but it is just too risky for a 2 year ownership spell...

Ouch MadScience..

lol...sorry I didn't mean to come off harsh. I suppose I just went to the ugly side of Tampa...and I've been to Clearwater, although it was freezing and the water was really rough so I didn't get to appreciate it as much as I could have on a summer day! :laugh:

How'd you know I was from up north by the way? lol...even though I don't think that clouds my judgment that much because I came down here pretty young and actually hated beaches up north cuz they were so dirty. I suppose what draws me to the beaches here is the surroundings...there's always something going on on the streets, day or night.

By the way...the fort lauderdale campus is beautiful! Everything is so modernized and well-kept! :)

lol...sorry I didn't mean to come off harsh. I suppose I just went to the ugly side of Tampa...and I've been to Clearwater, although it was freezing and the water was really rough so I didn't get to appreciate it as much as I could have on a summer day! :laugh:

How'd you know I was from up north by the way? lol...even though I don't think that clouds my judgment that much because I came down here pretty young and actually hated beaches up north cuz they were so dirty. I suppose what draws me to the beaches here is the surroundings...there's always something going on on the streets, day or night.

By the way...the fort lauderdale campus is beautiful! Everything is so modernized and well-kept! :)

Madscience..I didn't take it harsh, it's all good. I didn't really know you were from up north, but once you made the beach comment I just assumed (which is wrong, I know) because even the locals from down there admit the actual beaches on the gulf are nicer, but the water on the atlantic is more blue and has way better fishing! Anyways, enough about beaches. You're right, the Ft. L campus is well-kept. Plus, everyone has to keep in mind the Tampa "campus" will NOT feel like a campus, its in a business park. So at least the Ft. L campus will still have a little bit of that college atmosphere or educational aroma.

KNC- No worries, there are tons of apartments around Brandon that are within 10 minutes of the Tampa site. If you're living by yourself, look to spend in the ballpark of 750-900 for a single bedroom. If you really want to save a couple of dollars, obviously two bedrooms are the way to go if you could find a classmate to go in on it, they range between 950-1300.

MWR- I haven't been keeping an eye on the housing market, but there definately are homes for rent. There shouldn't be any problems there either as far as availability either close by. Besides you could obviously rent a home for much much cheaper than going through the hassle of buying and selling 2 yrs later.

If anybody is looking around that area use keyword searches , US 301 (thats the highway the campus is on), Brandon (town where the campus is actually located), or Riverview (town 8-10 minutes south of Brandon, where I live).

By the way...I've sent in my application but I am trying to get my letters out. Do I have to send in the evaluation forms or is a actual letter fine? I swear I read somewhere that I can send in either one. Is it just me or is it hard to get a hold of anybody in the application dept?

By the way...I've sent in my application but I am trying to get my letters out. Do I have to send in the evaluation forms or is a actual letter fine? I swear I read somewhere that I can send in either one. Is it just me or is it hard to get a hold of anybody in the application dept?

Thanks for the info....Every time I turn around, I am hearing bad things about Tampa...like the crime rate and what not...I guess everyone has their own thought about the area in which they live....As far as your LOR's, I believe that you can send in just the letter, but attach the evaluation for to it just in case... that wouldn't hurt....

I sent in regular letters without the evaluation forms and it wasn't a problem.

Thanks for the info....Every time I turn around, I am hearing bad things about Tampa...like the crime rate and what not...I guess everyone has their own thought about the area in which they live....As far as your LOR's, I believe that you can send in just the letter, but attach the evaluation for to it just in case... that wouldn't hurt....

Yeah, I think Tampa gets a bad rap because it is soo spread out, it seems that anything any crime that happens within a 100 mile radius of here is considered Tampa but there's no real city. You could walk all of downtown in about 2 hours. Brandon is like something out of the movies, all the neighborhoods are low-key, everybody wash your cars on the weekends, smile and wave, type places. I've had one friend get his car broken into at an apt complex one night, but he was "that guy" who has the fast and furious type cars always playing his music too loud on his nice speakers...so he had it coming anyways. haha

Josh.....I thought that I would ask how the first month of classes has gone for you so far....Do you have time to do anything else except study?

The first month has gone well. I am still working 6 hrs a week as a murse and have time to do my ADL's. The workload is going to start getting heavier during this second month for two main reasons - increased program responsibilities (like rounding with anesthesiology residents 1 morning a week) and increased depth in classes.

So far, everything has been review in the classes such as in pharmacology, physiology, and anatomy (yeah for basic science prereq's), but soon that will change.

Is anyone here considering going to Emory? It seems that the majority here are NOVA bound.

u think being a RRT helped a lot during the interview?

Sorry for talking so long to respond. I'm sure having healthcare experience helped in the acceptance.. but how much it helped I'm not so sure. Out of about 10 interviewees that day, we had 3 RTs including myself.

Is anyone here considering going to Emory? It seems that the majority here are NOVA bound.

Even though I got into NOVA, I'm definitely going to the Emory interview. Mainly because the way I look at it, it's the big daddy of AA schools that trained most of the directors/professors of the newer AA programs, so it would be disadvantageous to me to not check it out. Hopefully the interview process will leave a good impression, because NOVA is going to be tough to top.

I am thinking about flip flopping campuses because someone that was at the interview session I was at wants me to be her roomate....decisions, decisions......