Those doing residency in Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ethyl Methyl

Go Coogs!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I think this may be premature for me (considering that I have not been accepted to pharmacy school yet) but I would like to know about the residency programs available in Texas. I can probably find out a lot by doing a google search but what I want to know are feedbacks from people who actually did or are doing the program. Questions like:

From what school are you getting your residency?
What type of residency?
What do you like about it?
What don't you like about it?
What are some things you wish you knew before you started the residency?

I am very interested in doing a residency (term clinical, seems controversial around here 🙂 ) after getting my pharmD. I am doing some research now in case I get ask during my interview for pharm school. Any response is greatly appreciated!
 
Hi! I think this may be premature for me (considering that I have not been accepted to pharmacy school yet) but I would like to know about the residency programs available in Texas. I can probably find out a lot by doing a google search but what I want to know are feedbacks from people who actually did or are doing the program. Questions like:

From what school are you getting your residency?
What type of residency?
What do you like about it?
What don't you like about it?
What are some things you wish you knew before you started the residency?

I am very interested in doing a residency (term clinical, seems controversial around here 🙂 ) after getting my pharmD. I am doing some research now in case I get ask during my interview for pharm school. Any response is greatly appreciated!

Hey EthylMethyl~

I wouldn't say you're being premature...but you definitely have a lot of time to look into residencies and get all of your questions answered. Once you've started school, you'll probably want to attend a few of the ASHP midyear meetings. This is where you'll be able to go to the residency showcase and talk directly to all of the residency programs you're interested in (from TX and everywhere else in the country).

As bigpharmd suggested, a good place to start is ASHP's website: http://www.ashp.org/s_ashp/cat1c.asp?CID=27&DID=27

If you're curious to read a little bit more about residencies in TX specifically, use the online directory...
http://www.ashp.org/s_ashp/residency_index.asp?CID=1212&DID=1254

There're 55 of them to read about 😉