Those on waiting list for Buffalo, step inside.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

konovsi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found out that I am alternate for Buffalo, :( , so I am wondering what stats others have that been placed on Alternate list at Buffalo.

gpa 3.3 /Sci 3.1
19 AA/ 19 SCI/ 17 pat

Members don't see this ad.

I have also been placed on the alternate list at buffalo. Have you tried to contact them about where you stand on the list? Do you know any info about the likelyhood of getting in being on the alternate list?

Members don't see this ad :)
I called Buffalo and spoke to Barbara who is the first person you meet when you come for interview. So she said i just failed to make the cutoff for acceptance. She told me the admissions commitee rates each person and she said she is not allowed to say my rating or what my chances are. She told me its different year to year as to how many people get accepted from waiting list. Openwidepls what are your stats, just want ot get an idea at the cutoff point grade.

Lephisto said:
wow, since your a NYS resident, I figured you'd be a shoo in with those stats....I haven't even gotten scheduled for an interview yet, but my application won't be complete till friday (aadsas never sent one of my transcripts...or buffalo lost it...grr....) anyways...I"m a NYS resident too, and buffalo or stony brook are my top choices (I only applied to 3 schools...buf, stony brook, and nova)...my stats are 3.74 gpa, 3.63 gpa (I went to ac ommunity college before geneseo)...22 AA/20 sci/17 pat...
I hope my chances aren't ruined from being so late...btw, have you heard back from stony brook? I have an interview coming up there

Wow you have good stats, I think Stony Brook and Buffalo run interviews till spring so you might still have a good chance with those stats.

konovsi said:
I called Buffalo and spoke to Barbara who is the first person you meet when you come for interview. So she said i just failed to make the cutoff for acceptance. She told me the admissions commitee rates each person and she said she is not allowed to say my rating or what my chances are. She told me its different year to year as to how many people get accepted from waiting list. Openwidepls what are your stats, just want ot get an idea at the cutoff point grade.

I have 3.18 sci/ 3.17 overall gpa. 18/16 on the DAT. So kind of low, but I had a lot of clinical volunteer experience. Did they give you any info on the average number of atlernates on the list in past years, or any estimante on the number of alternates accepted in the past?

In the back of Buffalo booklet it states that onyl 50% of those accepted actually go, so depending on how many acceptances they send out it appears many people dont go to Buffalo. Or it may be that they send out many acceptances more thant amount of seats available knowing half of them will not go.

I don't know the "equation" but I was told by my interviewer that the DAT and GPA each account for 40% of your acceptance, leaving 20% for the interview. This is just my theory hereafter, but apparently 80% of your rating is GPA/DAT based...seems like really stellar DAT can only make up for a mediocre GPA. Seems like a balanced applicant has the best shot. What a "balanced" GPA or DAT score is, I don't know. I suspect all the experience one gains shadowing and working is part of the 20%.

I emailed Karen today and she replied stating that they don't number each applicant. Also,new alternates area added every week, after each interview, so list will probably get pretty deep. Seems a little hopeless.