coffeestat

15+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2003
KY
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I've got a question for everyone who just went through the match. As it is now I have this list of places I think would be great to train but truthfully, there's not a lot to go on. So, how much did your initial idea of where you wanted to go change from the ROL you submitted. Beside the interviews what impacted you the most? Of the tools you used to initially decide, which ones did you find most accurate? (websites, word of mouth, forums, etc.)

beyond all hope

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Status
Beyond all of the statistics and reputations and whatnot, ask the residents if they're really happy. Better yet, just watch them when the come to work.

kungfufishing

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
there is a pretty good write up in the FAQ, that was pretty close to my own process.

I think it mostly came down to resident happiness and gut feeling for me. Location, in that I preferred affordable cities (need a yard for my dogs and a house for my wife) in the south/midwest. Some curricula are neater than others, but for the most part they are pretty alike. my top 5 changed quite a bit from start to finish - on paper/internet and in person are two very different things.

About the Ads

coffeestat

15+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2003
KY
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
beyond all hope,

I'd love to be able to watch the residents and hang out at all the programs that I'd consider, but I get the feeling that's just not going to happen. I've just scheduled an away at one I'm interested in, but that's only one of many. Thanks for the replys so far.

Homunculus

SDN Caveman Administrator
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2000
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Originally posted by kungfufishing
on paper/internet and in person are two very different things.
that's what your wife told me ;) she'll rue the day she signed online :cool:

beyond all hope

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Status
Coffeestat, the second look is the time when you really can see the ER in action without it's game face on. You can see how the residents interact with each other, with the patients, staff, faculty, etc. See how much scutwork they do, see how much fun they have, etc. Talk to as many residents as you can during the second look, and talk to them in private so you can get the real answers out of them.

About the Ads