Thoughts on LECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Stacy,
I did get my package, but that was because I called to ask some questions. Since this is finals week I haven't even looked at it. The packets for the August students should be sent in the next 2 weeks. The money won't be disbursed until Aug. 22nd (I think?) Some of the loan applications can be done on line. I will be looking at this first think Monday morning.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello My Fellow Classmates,

I posted a message a couple of months ago and I've been meaning to post again and say hey,but I have been having trouble logging in. Don't worry I have it all figured out now. I'll try to get caught up.
I have an apartment lined up in Lakeview Apartments. I plan on moving up to Erie a week before orientation.
I'm very excited to get started and meet new people. It will be a great experience.
You can add me to the e-mail list. [email protected]
I'll talk to you all soon.

Dr. 6, We are planning a get together at Presque Isle before orientation. I was thinking about a day during the week before classes. The beaches won't be as crowded then. I have seen other students are going to be living at Lakeview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys
I probably won't be able to make it up to Erie until the last couple days of July, so if you guys can wait until then for the get-together, that would be great. And yes, Lisa, Lake View does have a one car garage. And nice to see more people are posting on this thread. If there are any questions for me, I probably won't be able to answer until end of next week because I'm off to Beach week!

The Nugget

i got a little post card in the mail today from LECOM. it has a bunch of facts about the school on it.
has anyone else got any other mail from the school? how is the new building coming?

Z,
The facts card was what was left out of the last mailing (orientation schedule). The next envelope you receive should be the financial aid packet. There are walls starting to be erected around the steel frame. It seems like a lot of work needs to be completed before August. I would be surprised if it is ready then. My guess, Christmas. :confused:

There hasn't been any posts to our thread in 3 days. Just could stand to see us sliding down the list. I graduated May 12. Since I won't be needing to pay for housing while attending LECOM (I can live with my parents) I decided to buy a new car. I picked the car up on Monday, May 14. I love it. It is a Ford Focus SW. Once I got it home, I had a LECOM window cling sticker all ready to attach to the rear window. It is an official medical student car. What have the rest of you been doing?

well, i dont think that my girlfriend loves me anymore. she is my best friend. i love her with all my heart, and i think that i am going to lose her.
it is breaking my heart and tearing me apart.

Man, that hurts to just hear it. I'm so sorry that you think she doesn't love you anymore. My thoughts and prayers are completely with you, my man, and I hope that you are doing okay.

The stresses of med school can indeed be rough on a person and even on a relationship. If there is a bright side to such a thing, let me say that it is that something like this happened BEFORE you entered med school, so it won't interfere with your studies. I encourage you to bury yourself in your studies, and you will soon be paired with like-minded individuals who can sincerely understand the rigors of med school. Please don't let this get you down!

If you need to talk, email me. I know I don't know you, but I know the situation.

since LECOM has increased the number of students in this year's entering class, do you think that LECOM will also increase the number of clinical rotation spots. has anyone heard anything from the school about increasing the number of clinical spots for the 3rd and 4th year? will there be more spots in more states?
please let me know...

Zorro,
I don't think that clinical rotation sites are a problem. I work part time at the AHEC office for NW PA. We have hundreds of sites that are open to all LECOM students. We are assigned 25 - 30 med students from Penn State Hershey. Only 2-3 of them rotate at our sites in the 6 week rotation schedule. We open our sites to PA and Nurse practioners. The problem comes in when students get picky about where they precept. Some students don't want to travel away from family, others don't want to have anything to do with rural settings. LECOM wouldn't be increasing the number of students if they weren't prepared to accommodate the students clinical rotations. :)

is west palm beach florida a popular rotation site? are there any more sites in florida? can all of your required clinicals be done at one hospital? that sure would be very nice!

"...can all of your required clinicals be done at one hospital? that sure would be very nice!"

Zorro,
I ask this same question to some second year students the day I interviewed. They said that it is possible to do that, but LECOM does not encourage it because they want you to gain many different experiences from other locations and atmospheres. I do agree that it would be much more convenient to do all your rotations at the same hospital or hospitals that are close together, especially when dealing with housing during that time.

Members don't see this ad :)
dr6,
have you found a place to live yet? i am staying at erie heights. there are 6 LECOM students staying there.

Housing is provided at most clinical sites. I wouldn't want to stay at one hospital for all clinicals. I don't know if LECOM has a clinical site in West Palm Beach. I have friends who are nurses there. There is a diversity of culture. American, Jewish, Haitian... I took a medical anthropology class to learn about other cultures view's on illness and healing. It is to the patient's benefit to have a doctor that understands them.

Zorro,
I am staying in Lakeview Apartments. I heard some LECOM people are staying there also.

I thought of bumping this up to because "Atlas" is asking questions about LECOM. Care to answer is questions you LECOM folks?

Later....

Thank popoy! I appreciate it. :)

No problem!!! Anything to help a fellow SDNer.

greetings from florida! since may 20th, i have been here in orlando florida with my parents. we have been on vacation. we went to universal studios, disney world, and epcot. the weather has been wonderful. i have been to the pool, and i have rode the rides. i come back home to tennessee on sunday. it sure has been fun.
only about 7 weeks to go until i move down to erie, pa. i am looking forward to meeting my classmates. school will be hard, a daily kick in the butt!
my girlfriend and i are doing well. we may even get engaged. how is everyone else doing?

Does she know about the engagement? or will it be a surprise? If she doesn't know about the engagement I hope she doesn't know about the forum :D Congrats either way....

I thought that most of you would enjoy a good laugh. Go to the Allopathic site and read farting problem. This is a discussion we have to look forward to when studying the digestive system. Counting down to August!!

Called around today about housing:

Have an appointment next Tues to look at Granada Apts. Still waiting for call-backs from Spiegel and Palermo. Don't bother with Pastore - they're all full, with a long waiting list.

If I recall, the warnings were out on Baldwin Bros and Erie Housing, correct? (Section 8, overpriced, run-down, etc.)

Thanks!

Kat :)

i looked at granada, but it is too far away for me. i want to be right by the school. so, i am staying at erie heights. i know it is a housing project, but for 350.00 a month, that is a real bargain. you get a 2 bedroom town house and a great location.

Kat-
I was considering living at Granada too (I was hoping for one of the Pastore places, but as you pointed out, those are a LONG shot). Do you have any idea how many apartments Grenada will have available in July? Thanks for any info you may have. (I don't have an apartment yet, and it is scaring me to DEATH!)

DOtobe - I'm not sure. I can find out Tues (pm) when I meet with the Mger. I also called Spiegel Management. I'm going to look at Woodside Apts. and Averlon Apts. on Tues (am).

I'm planning on getting into Erie Monday nite (I'm driving from NY). I'll probably stay over again Tues nite (just b/c it's a 6-7 hr drive and I've got a nasty case of strep throat and bronchitis :( and I'm worn out). If all is a bust, I'll just make some calls to more apt complexes when I'm out there. I was also thinking about getting my laptop config next week, but when I called they said they were up to their eyeballs w/the PBL and Indep Study students this week - and never answered my question about laptops OR even if they received my matriculation paperwork (I Express Mailed it so I'm not too worried they didn't get it).

If anyone else is planning on going to Erie next week, let me know. "We'll do lunch" (and I shouldn't be contageous anymore) :D

Kat

I officially became a Pennsylvania state resident last Sunday when I moved into my place at Vineyard Village.
I think I've driven by the school every day that I've been here so far. I'm soooo excited about orientation this Monday; I can't wait.
I really think that you guys (that are still looking for housing) should give Baldwin Bros. a second look. My wife and I got a really sweet deal on a 2 bdr., 1.5 bath townhouse in Vineyard Village. The best part is that the complex is only about 1.25 miles away from the school.
I read, on an earlier post, that some of you felt that the properties owned by Baldwin Bros. were a bit run down. I don't know if any of you looked at the townhouses at Vineyard Village or not but I can tell you that they are in pretty good condition. Further more, the community is extreemly quiet which I think would be ideal for studying.
Well, here's hoping that your house/apartment hunting goes well. If any of you are coming to Erie any time soon and need help with anything, feel free to e-mail me. I will try to help in any way possible. Oh!! one other thing. For those of you that are moving here from out of state and are brave enough to move without the assistance of a professional moving company, we found a Temp. Agency (Labor Ready)that provided workers to unload our U-Haul and set the furniture up. The cost was $12.50 per hour (per person) with a four hour minimum charge.
Hope this info. is of some assistance.

guess what? i am getting married!! i asked my girlfriend to marry me may 31st. she said yes, and we will probably get married after my first year. life is great!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

More power to you dude!!!

Hi Group, I have a brag. Today I got a letter in the mail. I have been selected to receive a scholarship for medical school. It is renewable for four years. The estate of a couple from North East, PA established this scholarship for medical students who graduated from North East, Corry, or Ripley, NY. When there aren't any qualifying candidates, they accept applications from Erie Co. residents. I heard about the scholarship from my executive director and contacted the administrator on Friday April 13. I was told that the deadline was on April 16, which was the next Monday. There was no time to mail an application, so I drove 40 miles to North East for the application. I rushed home to type up the form and dropped it in the mail. I hadn't heard anything and figured that I didn't get the scholarship. Boy, was I surprised today. $1,500.00 a semester will help. There are medical school scholarships out there you just have to search for them.

It is great to hear that the PBL students are getting ready to start. Good Luck!! Eight solid intense weeks of gross anatomy is what you have to look forward to. :D

The newest tourist attraction in Erie is the GoFish Erie Fishes. These are fiberglass fish painted by various artists. Toronto has moose, Chicago has cows and Erie has fish. There is a website which has a map of where all the fish are. It would be a good way to learn the city by searching out all the fish. Most fish are at local entertainment sites. I saw one at the regional cancer center. It is raining all weekend in Erie so newcomers, go take a drive and look for the fish. :p

I forgot to give you the website. It is www.gofisherie.com LECOM has sponsored a fish at the corner of 10th and Sassafras. Its name is Sturgeon General.

zorro-
Congratulations on your engagement!!!

:D :D :D

Congratulations,Zorro, on your engagement. Isn't it a wonderful thing when you know you have found the one that's right for you?

how is the new building coming along? do you think that it will really be finished by the start of the first day of class? i hope that everyone is having some luck with finding a place to live.

It's me again! I met NurseyK last night. We drove all over Erie looking at the apartments that she had appointments to see today. She is really great and I know we are going to have a great time at LECOM this year. While we were driving around we found a few more apartments that she wanted to call about this morning. Today we looked at 5 or 6 different apartments. I was having fun. I never did this before. Kat found the right place for her. I was so glad for her. There are still places out there for those of you needing housing. If you would like a tour guide, I am available.

LECOM's addition is looking like a real building. The concrete walls are up and you can see metal studs for inside walls. They must be plumbing and wiring. There is even a roof on the new section. Once the glass goes in the building will start to come together quickly. There is a lot of glass on each floor and the entry way is a 3 story glass atrium. The building could very well be down by August.

i was just wondering just how fast the first year will go by. i am sure that we will be plenty busy. my fiance is going to go to paramedic school in tennessee, and she will graduate next august. then she will move up to erie with me. we are going to get married july 2002.
we will see each other for thanksgiving, christmas, spring break, and then when school lets out in may. she is also going to drive up and see me in october. i just hope the year goes by fast. any thoughts on just how fast time goes by the first year? i wonder what the drop out rate is?

how well do LECOM students do on the COMLEX 1? i know that passing the test is a requirement for graduation, but how well do 2nd year first time test takers do? what is the pass rate for LECOM? how do we do compared to the national average?
i asked this question to the administration and they said that it is a requirement for graduation. so, everyone who graduate passed the exam, so that means that the pass rate is 100%. this is not the answer that i was looking for.
any insight would be greatly appreciated it.

Lisa and Kat,
I can't believe I missed you guys. I was up there Monday and Tuesday, but haven't checked the forum in two weeks. Oh well, next time. I just signed my lease to Lake View apartments and drove around. Erie looks a heck of a lot better sunny and with no snow on the ground. But I'm having doubts about the building. I don't know if it'll be done in time. Hopefully it will, but it seems a lot of work still needs to go into it, meaning the outside will be done but all the stuff that goes inside still needs to be put in. But I've got my fingers crossed.

And one more thing, I was just wondering how old everyone is. Anyone a snot nosed 21 year old fresh out of college like me?

The Nugget

You're twenty one?!! :eek:

I guess you can never be too early... or too young!! :D

Well, guys, I have finally found a place to live. I am going to be living in the Granada Apartments. Anybody know if anyone else from LECOM is going to be living there?

zorro-I seem to recall that at my interview someone asked what the COMLEX pass rate was and I believe they said it was 95%.

And Nugget, I am 23!

A friend of mine who finished his first year at LECOM said it was around 85% for part 1.

do you think 85% is a good pass rate? that seems kind of low to me. i just thought that most schools want to have around 92 to 93%.
i am older than all of you! i am 25!!
i have a bachelors in biology, and i am also certified as an EMT-IV tech and am certified in basic trauma life support.
what did everyone else major in?

Nugget, in regard to your questions about how soon the construction project at LECOM will be finished; we were told that it will not be completed before January. We currently are having classes in the lecture hall but because of Board Exams we were forced to meet in the Micro. lab (since the Boards were being administered in the lecture halls on Tuesday and Wednesday).

We (PBL and ISP students) are scheduled for our first exam next Friday. As of today at noon, we have already covered 10 Anatomy lectures, 7 Embryology, 2 Histology lectures and 5 Gross Anatomy Labs, all within a four day period. Reality is beginning to set in now.

Have any of you been contacted by your Big Brother or Big Sister as yet? I'm finding that this is an excellent source for advice and guidance since they can usually bring you up to speed on what to expect form individual instructors, ie testing formats, personalities, do's and don'ts, etc.

Well, gotta get back to studying now. Here's hoping that you all are enjoying the rest of your summer. Be ready to work hard when you get here but remember to make time to do something enjoyable EVERY DAY.

My name is Jay and I have recently registered to this site. All of this is pretty incredible and the site is extremely useful. I am on the waiting list at LECOM and I am ready to have a panic attack. I was wondering when i will hear from LECOM about either acceptance or denial. I just want to get on with my life. If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it.

i am no expert, but i would say that you will not know a definite "no" until the week school starts. why? well, because someone who was accepted could always say no at the last minute and decide to go somewhere else. then, a spot would open up and the next person on the list will get in.
but, then again, you could hear something any time now.
call the admissions committee and see what they say. but if you don't get in this year, don't give up and keep on applying. persevence and patience are a must!

Thanks for the advice zorro. I just got real excited when a read about a couple of people who posted here that are ready to give up their spots at LECOM or already have. I think that me hearing that in "real time" is sort of surreal. It really gives me hope. I was wondering if anyone who is going to let go of LECOM could post it and let me know.
Thanks,
Jason Silversteen

Zorro,
I guess the way that we increase the pass rate is to work hard and study. Several people on other threads have suggested using the book First Aid for the USMLE. I am going to buy myself a copy. I talked to Dr. Sexton and he is in charge of making up the tests. He allows each lecturer 3 questions for every hour of lecture. The First Aid book will help you decide what info is important not only for the big test but for tests throughout the year.
By the way, I am 30 something!! :D :) :D ;)

On the age topic, I'll be 25 the first week of school. Even though I dont' feel 25. And Zorro, I also have a BS in Bio and EMT-B certification. Right now I'm finishing up my Masters.

Has anyone checked out the lecom.edu website? I found the MSI/MSII class and exam schedule online for the 2000-2001 year. If you are interested in seeing it, log on to the SGA website link under student services.

Does anyone know if the school is making any drastic changes with the lecture-based curriculum this year?

Lisa, you're not the only 30 something student starting this fall.