Thoughts on LECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Jean,

I inquired about the Christmas break and was told that the schedule hasn't been made up yet. I was thinking that the building construction may change some things. It has been previously mentioned that the building will be done in January. With moving to new classrooms we may get some additional time off.

I am glad to have other 30 somethings in the class. I met NurseyK this past week. I gave her a tour of the city and helped with apartment hunting.

I was hoping to be contacted soon by my big sister or brother. I know a 2nd year in the PBL and she has 2 littles. One in PBL and one in ISP.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what type of bookbag you will be carrying? I was thinking about the computer case on wheels.

Members don't see this ad.

Book bags...not really sure about that one...most likely one that expands with all the books and folders. Lisa, will we be required to bring our laptop to class everyday?

Has anyone received their letter of eligibility from financial aid yet?

I haven't received anything yet, although I think she just started on us this week. Now, I'm really worried about this. Does anyone know how this all works? I'm trying to find sources of funding now just in case I don't get enough, but I can't think of anything besides the banks, which I really want to avoid. I have zero dollars in the bank and made very little last year, so I have nothing to work with. So I'm pretty much pooping a brick right now because I don't know what to do.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Nugget

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not recieved any finacial aid info yet. i know that we are taking 33 hours of classes the first semester. so, will we have every single class everyday of the week? just wondering. we have class from 8am till 5pm with a 1 hour lunch break, and exams every monday. is this correct??? just wondering.
i am sure that the time will go by fast, and before you know it the first year will be over..

From the 2000-2001 schedule, you are correct about classes from 8 to 5. Exams/quizzes are given Monday mornings.

First about financial aid. Most students will be eligible for the full amount to borrow from the Stafford federal subsidized and unsub. loans. The amount is $38,500. LECOM sends info on T.H.E. Total Higher Education, a nonprofit loan company that you can apply for Stafford loans and personal loans from. The additional personal loan can only be $4,000. There are no fees for the loans so T.H.E. saves you money right away. T.H.E. also pays a bonus for each payment that you make when repaying the loan. This can save as much as 20%. The website is www.northstar.org for more information. You can apply online once you know the amounts that you qualify for. It was a very simple process. You will get a form in the mail that needs to be signed and the loan money is sent to LECOM. The money will not be available to us before Aug. 22. Save money to pay your apartment, food, gas, whatever until your loan money is available. Your tuition bill is due Aug 6 but LECOM knows your money will be coming and marks the bill accordingly.

Jean,
I was told that you should have your laptop in class each day. It is your access to prof notes or powerpoint lectures. Each seat has an internet connection at it. When the lecture gets boring, send an email!! (that is what I have been told) Probably won't happen the first week since I will be too excited about all the new information and adjusting to med school life.
I asked a 2nd year (Ken) what he carries for a bookbag. He has the plain LL Bean bag that he has carried since high school. He also has a computer case. I was thinking of the computer/bookbag on wheels that you pull along. Ken says there is no fashion statement when it comes to bookbags. Anything is OK.

Zorro,
Even though we take 33 credits the first semester, we don't have all the classes at one time. We will take micro for 6 weeks and then that ends and we start histology. There are some other classes like that but I am not sure which.

Zorro - did you get a chance to look at last year's schedule? You'll get a chance to see exactly how the classes flow throughout the semester. It's in the SGA website.

Thanks Lisa for giving us the scope on the loans. We won't have a choice of lenders? LECOM only uses T.H.E.?

Jean,
You do have a choice of lenders. T.H.E. seems to have the best plan.

lisa, where do you get all of your information? you seem to know quite a bit more than some of the others on this site, but then again you do live up in erie....hmmm
i was considering bringing my dog with me to school. does anyone know of a vet clinic that is near by the school? if so, what is it called?

Lisa-
Let me get this straight...we apply through the T.H.E. program after we receive our Letter of Eligibility from LECOM? I looked at the T.H.E. application-can I send it away to them even though I don't know how much I am eligible to borrow yet? Please enlighten me because I am really scared that I haven't applied for my Stafford loans yet and I'm so afraid I'm not going to get all the money I need. Thank you for the info-it's much easier than calling LECOM (because every time I call I get someone's voice mail :rolleyes: !!!)

I guess living near LECOM has its advantages. I wouldn't worry about applying for a loan yet. I understand that the amount that you are eligible for is the amount that you will receive. The out of state students get a little more than the in-state students, but then the tuition is $1,000 more.

Zorro,
There are plenty of reputable vet clinics in Erie. I use Glenwood Pet Hospital at 38th & Peach. They are the vets for the zoo. I have a sheltie. What kind of dog do you have? If anyone will be in town father's day, the Erie Kennel Club has a dog show and obedience trial at Albion Boro Park starting at 9:00 a.m. Simon and I will be showing at obedience trial June 22-24. I hope to finish his CDX title before classes start.

Today is a real scorcher. At 6:00 p.m. it was still 90 degrees F. My parents decided that it was time to turn the central AC on. I dislike the heat. This summer is supposed to be very hot and humid. Bring fans if you don't have an apartment with air. Keep plenty of icecubes in the freezer for those tall glasses of water or lemonade.

I am doing a 4-6 grade math and science exploration program for kids in medically underserved areas. This is through the Area Health Education Center. It is part of the recruitment mission. By getting young people interested in math and science and aware of health careers we are trying to grow health providers from their own. Any way, I thought I would try out one of the jokes on you. The program is BrainLinks. The project that we do involve the brain and how it works. Here is a joke: When does it rain brains? Give up?

During a Brain Storm!!!
If you didn't like that one I have others.

Members don't see this ad :)
lisa,
i (my family and i) have a siberian huskey, a jack russell, 2 shetland sheep dogs, and a ferret. my fiance and i have one shetland sheepdog and a pekinese together..we love animals!! nothing kinky or perverted mind you. we just like animals...

does anyone know if the weight room will be finished by august?

Hi, My name is Angela and I just registered as a member to SDN. I'll also be starting LECOM this fall and I've already had a chance to email some of you guys. I really look forward to meeting you guys. This forum is the coolest.

Zorro,
I wouldn't think the weight room will be done until the new building is finished. That is now scheduled for Jan. Maybe you can get a 4 month membership to one of the local health clubs. I think LECOM gets discounts. Family First Sports Park and Nautilus are in joint venture. You get 2 really great facilities for your membership.

Angela,
I think I have had an email from you. Welcome to the SDN.

;)

Thanks Lisa :D

I still haven't received any information regarding financial aid. I sent all my requested documents from the financial aid packet months ago and have yet to hear a response. Do you guys know when they will be sending out loan applications and such?

Just wondering-has anyone received financial aid information yet? I know this subject was brought up last week sometime, but I am really starting to get worried. I need my loans-there is no way I can pay for LECOM without financial aid! Please share if you've gotten any info yet.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

P.S. Sorry, apple, I didn't see your post above mine when I wrote mine. Didn't mean to repeat the same question!

I talked to Bonnie at the financial aid office today. They're still processing the paperwork. I'm not sure when we will get the letters. It didn't sound like it would be anytime soon.

Did anyone else interview for the NHSC scholarship?

I interviewed for the NHSC scholarship in May in Dallas. I totally freaked out because I wasn't prepared for so many questions. I think my medical school interviews were easier. I'm not holding my breath until August because I came out of the interview totally feeling terrible.

I know what you mean, Angela. I interviewed in Chicago. I hope to get the scholarship, but I am preparing to reapply for NHSC my first year. I had a hard time thinking of good examples for how I deal with stressful situations.

I read somewhere in this forum that a guy had a terrible interview but he was still awarded the scholarship. He said that he thinks he got it because he kept saying that he wanted to be a primary care physician and he didn't care where he was placed so I guess we just have to wait and see...you never know :D

Just wanted to move our thread back up to the top...

:D :D :D :D

DOtobe, you beat me to the punch. But I have another reason. I was wondering how good the Sprint PCS service is up there...anyone up there have it? Are the signals strong, or do they go ka-put every time you walk into a building? I was thinking about getting one to use as my primary phone, but I hear service sucks in some places. Thanks guys.

Hey I just got home from the dog shows. It poured down rain for two days. We didn't have qualifying scores those days. Simon thought I was crazy to make him work in the rain. Today was a lovely day in Northeastern Ohio. We had a qualifying score and a third place finish. This is our first leg (three needed for title) of CDX title.

Did anyone else get the packet from LECOM. More orientation stuff, questionaire for Big brother or sister program, helpful hints pages. Some of the stuff I thought should have been received months ago when everyone was apartment shopping. Everyone needs to find a primary care physician. There is a list of D.O. accepting new pts enclosed.

I hope they aren't going to make me switch docs. My doctor is a D.O. and admits to St. Vincent and Metro but not Millcreek Community (the hospital of LECOM).

What's new with everyone else?

hopefully i will be getting the new stuff in the mail. i have been working a lot lately, trying to save money for school. i work as a waiter at a barbeque place. altough i hate waiting tables, i make about 12 dollars an hour. this is more than what i would make working at the hospital or as an EMT-IV.
i am moving from tennessee to erie, pa on july 23. my fiance may come with me. she still has not decided yet. i just hope she doesnt get lonely while i am class all day.
how are the PBL students is doing? how hard is the course load? has anyone dropped out? i hope not. i hope everyone is doing well.

No, I have not received the new packet from LECOM, but thanks for giving me the heads up. I'll most likely get it sometime this week. Later, I'm off to play some golf.

i live in tennessee, and i received the new LECOM packet in the mail today. it is very informative, but probably should have been mailed to us a long, long time ago.
what was inside the packet? last year's student survey, info on housing, banking, health insurance, big brother/ sister stuff, and that is about all.

Any financial aid information yet? I'm getting really impatient....

:mad: :eek: :mad:

no financial aid information yet.
lisa, i need your help. do you know if millcreek hosptial or any other local erie hospitals have any nursing programs, like an LPN, CNA, or any other nursing progams at the local hosptials? my fiance may do that instead of going to paramedic school. please help me if you can. how can i find out this information??

tell her to go to PA school, they much more money and have a fair amount of autonomy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but our White coat ceremony isn't until January right? If that's true, I think that stinks. Are we not real med students that first semester of 33 freakin' credits? Excuse my bluntness, it's early and I just got up after having a dream about the ceremony last night.

DaNugget

Nugget,
The White Coat Ceremony is in January. I asked an MS2 about it and he said that all the students are in one classroom and parents or friends are in the other classroom watching on a TV screen. You get the white coat, a Littman Cardio III stethoscope and some quickreference books or medical dictionaries and I think a medical cartoon joke book. There is a reception afterward. We don't start and clinical rotations until spring. I think it is appropriate to wait.

Zorro,
There is an LPN program through the City of Erie School district. Edinboro Univ. of PA has a 4yr BSN and a 1 year nursing program for people with a BS degree already. Gannon University (tuition same as LECOM) has PA, RN, and physical therapist programs. Most nursing homes offer CNA classes as well as the Red Cross.

That kinda sucks, doesn't it? That the family members and friends are not watching you in person and just on TV.... Wow.... That's interesting.... is this because LECOM is in one building and have no room? Why doesn't LECOM rent out the civic center or something to that effect and have everyone in one room? .... Very interesting.... :confused:

The graduation ceremony is held at the Warner Theatre which is a lovely restored building. Most people didn't have family members there. If we wanted to have the white coat ceremony somewhere else, I am sure that the administration would work with the students to find a suitable site. Would people be willing to pay for guest to attend and be in the same room? Maybe we could get the local high school gym for a minimal cost. I would prefer to have the ceremony at the school. It is where I plan to spend 2 years of my life. The building will become a special place for me. By January the new building should be opened and then maybe everyone will fit in one room! :D

Thanks for clarifying Lisa!!!

You know what LECOM should do, slip the needed money for an auditorium in the tuition fees.... :D

I still think it's kind of a bummer that this is how they conduct the white coat.... Oh well....

Congratulations to everyone accepted to LECOM!!! Look forward to be a future colleague someday...

I wanted to get my electricity and phone turned on at my apartment in Erie before I actually moved there. Does anybody know the numbers to the companies responsible for these services? :confused: :p :D

The electric company is GPU. Their customer service number is 1-800-545-7741. The telephone service is Verizon North. For new services the number is 1-800-483-4000. Adelphia offers long distance in the Erie area. I have found that they have the best service. There isn't a monthly fee and the time is billed in 6 second increments. 7 cents a minute 24 hours a day. :)

Thanks for the info Lisa. Will anybody be in Erie on July 5th?

When are all you guys planning on moving to Erie? I am planning on moving on July 20th, but I will probably go home for a while between then and the start of classes. (I only live three hours away.) And Lisa, when is the get-together at Presque Isle going to be? We should all try to come up with a day...
See you all soon!

:D :cool: :) ;)

What does everyone think about Wednesday, August 1 for the Presque Isle get together?
I will be gone to Canada July 2 - 14. :cool:

August 1 sounds good to me.

Yikes... you must be devasted.... :(

zorro21, I'm sorry to hear that about you and your girlfriend. I can definitely relate to your situation. Just know that everything will be okay and you'll be meeting some new people when school starts.

There is only one question, the most important question, that hasn't been asked yet. Are The Simpsons on everyday up in Erie? I know there is a FOX, so it'll be on every Sunday night. But in DC, it's on for an hour everyday. I need my Simpsons. Hope all is well with everyone.

Nugget

The Simpson's are on every week night at 7 p.m. Saturday I don't think they are on. X files is on a 7 and Cops at 8.

I was at the school today. The new building is really coming along. I didn't recognize the interior of the old building. The conference room where we all had to wait for interviews is blocked off. The book store is gone and so is the hallway to the cafeteria and the locker rooms. All of that area is one big room now that will soon become the real cafeteria. The temp cafeteria is in the basement in the room that will become the workout room.
I got my photo id taken. It turned out half decent, not like the mug shot on my driver's license.
I inquired about financial aid mailings. They are to go out next week to incoming students. The 2nd years haven't got anything yet either. Everyone seems concerned about their money but LECOM.

Lisa, thanks so much for the financial aid update! You are becoming our number one informant.
August 1 sounds good to me for the Presque Isle get-together. I can't wait to meet all of you guys!
And zorro, I'm sorry to hear about you and your girlfriend. Don't give up hope, though, because I'm sure things will all work out in the end for you.
Now I have a question for Lisa and any other girls who may be in this forum-are you nervous at all about OMM labs and being half-naked in front of your classmates? Am I the only girl who is a little nervous and self-conscious about this? Just wondering.
Talk to all of you soon-less than a month to go till I move to Erie!

DOtobe,
It will be embarassing if not uncomfortable in OMM for the first few classes. Remember that we will all be professionals and this is the way that we learn. Not everyone has a fashion model body. They will probably be begging me to put clothes on. hehe. ;)