Thoughts on LECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Welp, I'll be coming to Erie on 7/23 (Mon) with my parents to help me move in...hubby is too busy trying to make $$$$ because I'm not working full-time any more (talk about an ouch in the pocketbook); and I don't think hubby is going to come into town until Aug 2nd or 3rd. I'll prob go back to NY sometime in there before school starts (tie up loose ends at home).

I got the elec and phone hooked up. Cable Co can't hook me up until the guy currently IN the apt cancels svc. (geez) Now, I'm busily combing the web in search of Erie internet providers...

I got that latest packet of info also - it's sort of a repeat of the stuff they gave us already (?). Still waiting for Fin Aide, too...heck, if they're not worried about their money, I won't be either ;)

As far as 1/2-naked...well...I'm me. I'm not 18, and I haven't graced the pages of Playboy or Cosmo lately - like it or leave it. :D

Kat

Members don't see this ad.

happy fourth of july to eveyone!
i have a question about the atena health insurance offered by lecom. i was told that it is 83 dollars a month, but it does not cover the cost of prescription medicine. i am not sure if this insurance covers dental though.
i was wondering if most of the students use this insurance or find health insurance on their own?
lecom said that we should be getting a packet about the health insurance options next week in the mail.
any info about the atena option would be greatly appreciated...
is there anyone staying in the erie heights complex behind the school? please let me know...i am trying to meet my future neighbors.....

I have a question for you guys-how does our schedule run at LECOM? I know they said we would be in class from 8:00-5:00, but is that every day? Do we have the same classes every day? I know we have OMM lab only once a week, but what about everything else? Does anybody have any info on this?
Thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
dotbe,
go to the lecom web site. then go to the sga website. on this web site you will find last year's first semester schedule. this should answer your questions.

Thanks for the info, zorro21! :D

Just wanted to move us back up...we've been slacking lately!!!!!

WOOO-HOO!!! Finally a senior member!!!!

:D :D :D :D

Just wanted to let you guys know that I made it to Erie on Thursday. My furniture and car haven't made it here yet so I really haven't had a chance to see all that Erie has to offer. If anyone is already in Erie, email me at [email protected] I'm staying in Lakeview apartments.

apple,
how is your car getting to erie? is someone driving it for you? i will be moving to erie in 2 weeks. i will be arriving on july 24th. i am staying in erie heights...

I hired a moving company that sucks to move my car and furniture and only heaven knows when I'll receive my stuff.

:confused:

I just wanted to move us back to the top ;)

How do you become a senior member?

Hi, you guys may have seen me on other posts. I'm holding out on the waitlist for PCOM, but I've been accepted to LECOM and will attend there if PCOM doesn't work out. I was wondering if anybody knew a nice apartment setting that has a lot of the med students as tenants there... Because of my situation, I prob won;t be able to share an apt with anyone... but I definitely want to be living close to fellow first years.
Thanks,
Pat :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Patrick,

I'm staying in LakeView apartments were there are alot of LECOM students. All of my neighbors are students come to think of it. The apartments are owned by Maleno Development and the number 814-833-6516

nice and a view of the lake to boot.... i'll check it out

Thanks

Hey, I'm finally a senior member!!!!!!!

patrick,
check out erie heights. it is right by the school and it is a 2 bedroom, 1 bath town house with a washer and dryer hook up for $350.00 a month. the number is 814-864-4511.

Pat O -
Wasn't Birdman looking for a roommate? Or do you just not want to screw anyone over just in case you got into PCOM? But I'll be in Lake View also. It's a really nice place, and cheap, considering what I'm used to.

Da Nugget

Are any of you attending Lecom paramedics? did that help you or make it more difficult in getting accepted?
The reason I ask is because my Premed advisor said that paramedics look like "wannabe doctors" to the admissions office.
Any thoughts???????

danugget, that is the precise reason

I am not a Paramedic (I didn't have time), but I am an EMT-Basic. I think it did help me, plus I really loved it. I didn't have any problem with the topic in my interview. I just kept bringing up how great of an experience it was for me. I am also an EMT lab instructor. I think LECOM enjoyed the fact that I taught what I learned. If you want my advice I say go for it, but it can be time consuming and it doesn't pay very well.

i am from tennessee, and i am an EMT-IV tech. i am also certified in basic trauma life support. i think that being an EMT is very helpful and admissions people look favorably upon it. at my school, we have a program that takes one semester and then you are certified as an EMT-IV tech. the training is great, and i think that i will have a good head start for clinicals.
go for the EMT i say!

Boro,
I am a graduate of EUP and I am also a paramedic. I think that previous health care experience is helpful for admission to any medical school. The schools want to accept people that know something about the medical career they are choosing. There was an EUP grad 4 years back who had top grades,(3.8 GPA, 34 MCAT) but had never shadowed or done medical volunteer work. This person was not accepted at Vanderbilt, the only school she wanted to go to. Previous experience is only a small part. Admission counselors also look at grades, MCAT scores,and extra curricular activities. Osteopathic schools are looking for candidates interested in becoming primary care physicians.

Wow, I was on vacation for a week and our thread has really grown since I was last here! Well, I am moving to Erie on July 20th. I am living in a studio apartment at Willow Wood Village, which I think is kinda close to Lake View Apartments (?) Maybe I can meet up with some of you guys. Let me know either through this forum or e-mail me at [email protected]. I can't wait to meet you guys-only a couple weeks until school starts!
(Where has the summer gone... :cool: )

Lisa or anyone, will we be able to dial to the internet through LECOM from home after we get started with school? Do I need to sign up for an internet service or will it be included. I had a "free" dial when I was in undergrad, that's why I ask. Thanks.

I am not sure how the internet to LECOM works. My computer is being configured. I should pick it up tomorrow. I will be able to ask then.
I got the health insurance packet Saturday. My PCP nor my OB/GYN are on the list. I don't want to have to choose a new one. I think that I will continue to see my previous Doc and pay 70% coinsurance since he is such a great Doc. There isn't prescription coverage. I was going to check to see if it is an option we can sign up for. Then there is eyeglass coverage but not dental.

Hi Lisa,

How was your vacation? I'm sure you had fun. Email me at [email protected]
Did you have to take your photo i.d. when you took your computer to the school?

Hi guys,
New topic. I was bored and on the American Medical Student Association web site last night, and the only school in the US (MD or DO) without a charter is LECOM. I emailed the area rep for us and he said he had some contact with the SGA secretary but lost contact. Does anyone (I guess when I say this I really mean Lisa...sorry Lisa) know the status of this? If we don't have anything, I was told we need 5 students to start a petition for a charter...anyone else interested?

i too received my health insurance packet in the mail. however, i am not going to use the insurance provided by the school. i am going to use my current health insurance, blue cross blue shield, because it pays for 80% of prescription drugs. does any know of some cheap dental insurance?

When did you guys get your health insurance packet? I didn't get mine yet (just gives me something else to worry about...) Does everybody receive one? I was planning on using the school's health insurance, so I would hope I would receive one! I have insurance now that I could use, but I prefer to use the school's because it is much cheaper. Hopefully I'll get it soon!

I got my health ins. packet on Saturday. They were mailed on Friday. I called my Doctor about the health ins. and he has signed up for it but wasn't listed in the ins. booklet yet. I did check with the ins. broker who has an office beside my employer. He couldn't offer a similar plan for the same or less money. As far as prescriptions, we can by drugs at cost from Millcreek Community Hospital with our student ID.

Nugget,
I asked the MSII (Ken) who I am working with about the student club. He said that each year a class will start a new club. Maybe the class of 2005 will start the American Medical Student Club. Ken also said that he hasn't gotten his fin aid packet yet nor info on the Big brother and sister program. Ken uses a free internet service called netzero.com to access LECOM from home.

I have a very important question. I am moving up to LECOM in a week and I am curious if anyone can tell me what is the best laptop to get and what internet service everyone is using?

Best laptop would probably be a Dell, although I got an HP. As far as what the computer has, I got the works - 1 gig speed, 256 RAM, 20 Gig hard drive, DVD/CD-RW combo...you probably don't need all that. And I'll be using MSN for my internet connection.

The Sturgeon General has been stolen or kidnapped. That is the GoFish Erie Fish that is sponsored by LECOM. Ken and I drove by it yesterday and commented that we should get our picture taken by it. Now it is gone. Hopefully it will be found soon.

does anyone actually believe that the new building will be ready for us to have class inisde on the first day of school? even if they do all of the wiring and consruction, they still have to move all the chairs, desks, computers, and all of that kind of stuff inside.
any thoughts on the completion of the new building??

The new building will not be ready until January. This has been discussed before.
Are you in Erie yet?

am i in erie yet? this has been discussed before.

OhhhhhhhKaaaaaaayyyyyyy....

Anyway....

My main computer crashed bigtime. I've been using my laptop while my hubby and his friend have been trying to recover data on the (multiple) hard drives. It was actually good timing...we were plugging in the brandy-new tower we bought, then went to zipdisk the stuff from the old system....a little poof of smoke, and that was all she wrote. I've been trying to recover my data as best as I can from memory.

What I do humbly request is another copy of the e-mail list someone so nicely put together.....and Lisa, I lost your number in the fray, too...

I'm coming into Erie on Monday nite, 7/23, to get the apt and internet set up. Then I need to go home Thurs or Fri, and will be back the following Tues or Wed. Is that picnic still on, or are we all to nervous to eat? :p

Kat <---who's always hungry :D

ZORRO 21,

Plans change, just thought you might have arrived earlier than expected.

HEY EVERYONE. I AM GING TO LECOM IN THE FALL AND I WAS WONDERING ALSO IF PEOPLE ARE GOING TO MEET STILL ON AUG. 1ST????? I GOT A 1 BEDROOM APARTMENT IN WOODSIDE, ABOUT 3 MILES FROM THE SCHOOL, AND I WILL BE UP THERE THIS FRIDAY FOR GOOD! IT IS PRETTY EXCITING! LET ME KNOW IF ANYONE STILL WANTS TO MEET.

Hey birdsflyatnite,
I'm here in Erie staying in LakeView. I would love to meet you.

Just email me and I'll give you my number. I hope you have a safe move.

Hi Birdman,
The get together picnic is still on for Aug. 1st at Presque Isle. We haven't decided on a beach yet. Stay tuned. :D :cool:

Hi guys,
I was wondering in the event that I decide to start LECOM this fall (if I don't get off PCOM waitlist which is moving like a snail).. where everyone is living.... I spoke with apple before and he said Lakeview was a nice place. I realize I don't have a lot of time to wait around for PCOM anymore, and LECOM orientation is on the 4th, so in the next couple of days I would have to set up shop and by a laptop, and some more dressy clothes for that matter.
Thanks, Pat :)

I'll be in Lake View, along with my roommate. I know there are a lot of people in Lake View, and a good number in Granda and a few in Erie Heights.

hey, just wanted to let you know I'm a female...lol

I can't wait to meet you guys.

Make sure you're having fun now because school is just around the corner.

Yeah, it's getting really close...how are you guys feeling about starting school?

I personally am TERRIFIED about starting school. I'm excited that I'll be one step closer to getting my life together, but I feel like I am starting kindergarten. I'm afraid because I don't know anyone (well, I know you guys, but not face-to-face). I also don't know what kind of people I live with, because I was in Erie at my apartment for 4 days and I didn't see any of my neighbors! It's a quiet floor to study on, but I would kind of like to know who is living around me.
And the thing that scares me the most is that I've taken a year off and haven't studied for a year! I hope I can get back into the swing of things.

Well, I had to get my worries out. Are you all feeling the same way? I guess we'll get through it all together... :D

I've been out of school for two years so I really feel out of whack. I think it might be rocky at the start but I'm sure we'll all fall into the swing of things. I'm confident in all of us :D

I've never lived in an area that had a true winter so I'm really not looking forward to that. :( But I'm sure everything will work out ;)

The details on the picnic:

August 1st at 5 p.m. at Beach 7 the Waterworks beach.

The beaches are guarded until 8 p.m. This beach is close to picnic pavilions and a playground and modern facilties. There is ADA water's edge accessibility. Bring your own burgers or dogs to grille. I'll bring the baked beans, macaroni salad, and lemonade. I don't think that alcoholic beverages are permitted on the park. After sundown there are plenty of places in the neighborhood to go. R.S.V.P. so that we'll have plenty of good food.

The directions are Rte 832 or Peninsula Dr. north to Presque Isle. Once in the park you will be on the bay side. You will pass the park office and the waterworks and cookhouse pavilion, at W Fisher Dr. turn left, To beach 7 on the lake side. It is also called Waterworks Beach.
For more information on Presque Isle visit the website www.dcnr.state.pa.us