Thoughts on LECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zorro21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting the lecture discussion pathway this august and would like to talk to other students who will be attending LECOM. what are your thoughts about the school? how do you think you will do as a med student? and what are you doing the summer before school starts?
if you have any thoughts about LECOM, please let me know..

Members don't see this ad.

Now only 5 away from Senior Status!!
I am also in the LBP at LECOM. This summer I plan to have fun, vacation and read some books that I haven't had a chance to read yet, Harry Potter, Sue Grafton, Patricia Cornwell are a few.
I know that med school is going to be rigorous. I plan on 5 am wake up so that I have an hour or 2 for review before class at 8am. Since I live a 30 min drive from campus, I plan to stay and study in the library most of the evening (9-10 pm) I know that some students go to Barnes and Noble or Borders bookstore to study. I think that is because the library is small. With the new building the study areas will be expanded. There will also be a gym facility so a little rec. after supper and back to the books.
Forming study groups will be important. The Big/Little mentoring program will be helpful for transition to the med school way of life.

Have you bought a laptop computer yet?

------------------
Lisa P. :cool:
LECOM 2005

i bought a lap top about 2 months ago. it is a compaq presario with windows millenium. i live in tennessee and recently traveled to erie about 2 weeks ago to find a place to live. i brought my computer to LECOM and they programed my computer for me. the PC support people installed power point and acrobat reader and fixed my ethernet card, so that i can hook to LECOMs internet connection and download class notes.
lisap, you live 30 minutes from school? do you plan on moving closer to school? how is the weather? is it hard to drive in the snow?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you already getting the notes? Who did you talk to at LECOM to set-up your computer for you?

I'm spending time with my family this summer and studying a little.

By the way, is anyone interviewing for the NHSC scholarship program?

although my computer is set up to get the notes, i can not actually get the notes until the first week of school starts. the PC people have to put us on the school's system and give us a user name and password.
you can talk to judy farnum at LECOM.

Hi guys,
Do the computer people there have Powerpoint to give to you, or do you have to buy it? I can put it in myself, but if I don't have to buy it...
Congrats to all...and does anyone know if housing is still available? I haven't been up there, and can't make it up until after graduation, which is in late May.
Congrats to all, can't wait to meet you.

Nugget

you do not have to pay for any of the computer programs. the school installs them for you or you laptop at no charge to you the consumer. however, you do have to buy a network card which costs any where from 50 to 75 dollars.
the network card is explained on the green computer info sheet that the school sent you.

danugget,
did you say that you are staying at erie heights behind the school? isnt that the place that is a 2 bedroom townhouse for 350 a month? what did you think of the place? do you think that it would be a safe place to live?

Zorro,
No, I don't have a place to stay yet. I haven't been up there since I went up to interview, so I'm still clueless. And I really thinking about Erie Heights, it's cheap cheap cheap.

Nugget

zorro21-
Did you find a place to live when you went up to Erie? I went to Erie this past Friday and only got to see three places, and two of them had a waiting list :-( and the third wasn't sure what would become available when I move there in July. Did you sign a lease? It seems (at least in my case) that I won't know if I have a place to live until June, which really scares me. Let me know how your experience searching for housing went.

Zorro,
I don't plan to move closer to LECOM. I am living with my parents to save money. The driving in the winter is not difficult, but then I have lived here my whole life. The main roads are well maintained but forget about the city of Erie plowing side roads.

Has anyone talked to financial aid yet? I have all my paperwork in with the exception of my final transcript but haven't heard from anyone.

------------------
LECOM 2005

i put a 100 dollar deposit at willow wood. it is owned by pastore builders and is 1.5 miles from school. they have 2 bedroom townhouses. i am on the list for a 530 and 600 $$ unit. they are suppose to call me in june about some openings. i also wrote a letter to erie heights and sent them a copy of my acceptance letter, drivers license, and social security number. they do applications over the phone. they are suppose to call me in a few days. i am still not sure where i am going to live, but erie heights does seem to be the cheapest. the apartments are very old in side, all wood floors, but it is very cheap and right by the school.

I hope you all enjoy wearing suits and dresses to class everyday AND attending a school that offers a poor education.

VD

Members don't see this ad :)
viperdoc,
do you suffer from low self esteem? why pick on people you don't even know? i feel sorry for your future patients. a doctor is supposed to be an honorable and noble individual, a model citizen if you will. let us worry about our education at LECOM. you go work on being a better person.

Viperdoc, I know you only posted that to get people all wound up, so I'm not even going to give you the pleasure of a reply.
Anyway, back to the original topic. Lisa P, have you heard anything (good or bad) about the Grenada apartments? I went to Erie last week to see them, and I don't really know what I thought. They were okay, but I don't know if I would want to live there. Any info you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Why are you all defensive? If LECOM was a top school you wouldn't need to defend it as you have just done. On that note, I'm glad I was accepted somewhere else other than LECOM; there are other problems outside of simply the dress code and attendance policy. How bad do you want to be a physician?

Kim77 and Viperdoc, it saddens me to think that someday you will call yourselves physicians. What is even more repugnant about that thought is that you could possibly be students at an Osteopathic Medical School. It is that type divisiveness that will cast a black eye on the noble profession of Osteopathic Medicine.

It sounds like you both have some growing up to DO - I suggest that you do so before your clinical years.

DOtobe,
The Granada Apartments are were several LECOM students live. I would have a problem with the traffic on Peach St. It takes forever to get the light and then traffic tie ups around the mall. The price of the apartment isn't bad. They are in Millcreek Twp. which has better cable service, not that you will get to watch TV. On W. 38th St. there are several rental cul de sacs. Willow Wood is one of them. I would prefer that area instead of Granada. If anyone is coming to Erie apartment shopping, I would be glad to show you around.

------------------
LECOM 2005

lisap,
what do you think about the erie heights apartments? they are just behind the school. do you think that it would be a safe place to live? what do you think about willow wood on west 38th street?
any info would be greatly appreciated.

An acquaintance of mine is starting this summer at LECOM. He's a jock with an attitude and not very bright to boot. Got a 23 on the MCAT and had a decent GPA from a crappy state school.

LECOM will have to work miracles to produce quality docs given these qualifications.

-VD

Zorro,
Willow wood are nice apt. complexes. The drive to LECOM isn't bad. I would avoid Erie Heights. Most people there are working low income jobs or not working at all. There are children all over the place. I would find it very distracting to study in the evenings or weekends with kids everywhere. Erie Heights is one of the safer housing projects. There aren't any gangs associated with that complex. Hope this helps

------------------
LECOM 2005

i am from the south, and we do not get a lot of snow from where i am from. so, how hard is it to drive in a foot of snow? is there a public bus route that could take me to school if my car got stuck in the snow?
any thoughts about driving in the snow and winter road conditions and travel would be greatly appreciated.

Better get aquainted with the snow. They had a record breaking 145 inches there this year.

I just wish people without an interest in LECOM would quit posting to our thread.

Zorro,

Winter driving is not difficult. To prepare for winter you need to have your car ready for the cold (check antifreeze, wiper fluid, battery...)then have a good set of all season tires. PA does permit studded snow tires. Depending on the type of car you drive, you may want to use them. Front wheel drive cars usually handle fine without studded tires. The key to driving on snow and ice is slow down, give yourself greater stopping distance. The street crews do a good job keeping the main roads clear of snow and ice. When the snow is piling up, stay in the tracks of the person in front of you, unless of course they just drove into the ditch. Remember the difference between snow and ice storms in Erie and those occasional storms in the south is that up north we have the equipment to handle the snow in a moments notice. With LECOM's huge parking lot, after the first good snow fall, I'll take you out and show you how to drive and do a few donuts. Remember, Buckle up for safety!!

------------------
LECOM 2005

i was told by financial aid that we are only allowed to have 43,000 dollars for school from federal stafford sub and unsubdizied loans. does anyone know how we can get more money to live on? the school just told me to ask my family or try to get a personal loan. my parents dont have any extra money to give me, and i have called the bank to get a personal loan and they said no too b/c it has to paid back monthly after 30 days.
help me! how can i get more money? does everyone have enough money to live on?

Zorro - did you fill out the parental information on the financial aid form? Just wondering because I am working on that form right now.

I have an NHSC scholarship interview in a few weeks... it's too late to apply for the 01-02 school year but there's always next year. Kim, are you interviewing for the scholarship as well?

i am 25 years old, so i did not fill out the parental info on the free financial aid application.
how long does it take to hear back from LECOM once you send in the financial aid information?
are we really in class from 8am until 5pm everyday? dont we get to eat? how long are the classes? how long are the labs?

Zorro,

I just talked to Bonnie Crilley in the financial aid office yesterday. The PBL and independent student forms are being completed first. They start June 1. Ours will be coming in the next few weeks. The first money from the federal stafford loans will not be disbursed until Aug. 22.

LECOM gives a one hour lunch break each day. Wednesday is OPP lab day. I am not sure about gross anatomy lab. I know only half the class has it at a time. I think the other half is in micro then.

$43,000 is PER YEAR....aggregate is somewhere around ~$160,000.

Minus tuition from $43,000 and you will have enough to live on...

Kat :)

For those of you who are considering living in the ERIE HEIGHTS apartment complex behind the school, be very careful. they do not have air conditioning. if you would like A/C you have to buy a ceiling fan or go to sears and buy a window a/c unit.

How hot does it get up there?

Nugget

It is already in the 80's which is unseasonably hot (>20 degrees). It will be very hot in August. Erie gets very humid uncomfortably hot and sticky. A/C is a neccessity.

I would just like to say that I have read
some of the posts from LECOM students in the
past and they have always been very mature
posts.
I think LECOM students are cool.
-I am no way affiliated with LECOM.-
Tim.

thanks for the comment beyonder. Just shows how much this class is going to work together next year, despite that there are only about 5 or 6 regular posters...hehe.
But let me get this straight about Erie weather: first there's an unusually large amount of snow, and now it's unseasonably hot by 20 degrees already. This is going to be a fun four years isn't it?

i received the orientation schedule in the mail today for those who are interested. we have to make an appointment before school starts to get our picture made and our laptop programmed.

I started an orientation thread three days ago and no one has responded. I know that NurseyK read the thread since she mentioned it in her email to me. I was wondering when most of you plan to move to Erie. I thought we could have our own get together at Presque Isle. What do you think? ;)

i plan on moving to erie the second or third week in july. i will be staying in erie heights, because it is close to the school and not very expensive. my girlfriend may be coming with me to live and go to paramedic school at emergycare.
my parents will be helping me move. when is everyone else planning to move?

this is all so exciting to read. I can't wait until it's me talking like this. Good luck and God bless

I'm in the process of finalizing a move to Lake View Apartments, and I really have no idea when I'm heading up there. But Lisa just let me know when the get-together is, and I'll make sure I'm there. Can't wait to meet you all.

Nugget

i have quiet a long email list of people who are going to LECOM this fall. if i were to compile my list of LECOM emails and post a list of future students' emails on this forum, would anyone have a problem with me doing that?
i think that the list would be very helpful, so that we can all get in touch with each other. what does everyone think?

I'm ok with it. My current email will be gone soon since I'm graduating, but my other email is [email protected] if anyone cares.

Nugget

I would like an email list of LECOM class of 2005. The email I prefer to use is [email protected]
Z, Maybe instead of posting here you should privately email all of us. :cool:

Zorro: Sounds OK to me. Lisa has a good point about an e-mail list sent to each of us privately. Go ahead and add the NurseyK address to your list - my "official business" e-mail is probably going to change when I move. If you need full name/phone let me know by e-mail.

I like Lisa's idea of a little get-together before orientation (3rd or 4th week of July?).

I still need to look for an apt. I'm anticipating going out to Erie to look sometime the first week of June if anyone, in addition to our most-helpful Lisa :) is going to be around.

Kat :)

zorro,
I'd like a copy of your list too if you could send it to me! My e-mail address is [email protected]. Thanks!
Lisa,
I think the meeting at Presque Isle is a good idea. I don't know when I'll be moving to Erie (considering I don't have an apartment yet), but it'll probably be around the middle of July. I only live three hours away so I will probably be going back and forth throughout the month.
I'm starting to get really excited about starting school, and I can't wait to meet all you guys!
Stacie (my real name!)

i have now made my email list. if you would like a copy of my email list of future LECOM students, please send me an email and i will be glad to send you a copy.

[email protected]

i have a question. right across the street from the school, on ellensworth, there are a lot of little houses. does anyone know if those houses are for rent?
how nice would that be? you could literally walk across the street and go to school.

Z, I thought you are in Erie Heights. Millcreek Health Systems which LECOM is a part of owns most of the houses along Ellsworth Ave. They rent those to students with families. A friend of mine (MSII) lives in one for $575. a month, even has a pool in the back yard.

Nugget, Does your townhouse have a garage?

There have been several ads in the Erie paper for reasonable rentals. If anyone would like info, let me know, I will send you phone numbers or ad information.

Four days and 5 tests left til I graduate!! :cool:

Hi everyone, it has been a while since I've visited this site. Good to see that you are finalizing plans for relocation.
I visited Erie last week to secure housing (and my wife had a few interviews in the area). Aside from looking at over 25 homes, townhomes and apartments and getting lost every once in a while, we actually had a lot of fun. We finally decided on a townhouse in Vineyard Village which is about a mile away from the school. Move in date is May 26.
Lisa, I think that get together for the Class of 2005 sounds like a wonderful idea and I would certainly be in attendence. I would also be interested in receiving a copy of the e-mailing list and having my e-mail adderess added to that list.
Take care everyone and I look forward to meeting you all in person.

I know someone brought this up before on this thread, but I thought I would ask it again: has anybody gotten their financial aid package yet? I sent in all my forms weeks ago and I still haven't heard anything. So I was just wondering if anyone else has heard so I know how much longer I may have to wait. Thanks for all the help-it's nice to get to talk to some of my future classmates.

Stacie