Thoughts on Loyola accepting undocumented immigrants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedRookie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am surprised this hasn't been brought up here yet but I was wondering what you guys thought about it.

If you haven't read up on it, here is a link:
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...ola-med-school-to-admit-undocumented-students

It seems like down the road, these students will have trouble getting a license to practice medicine in the US.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd also like to hear your thoughts on these students receiving financial aid from the state.

Kind of marginalizes the hundreds of thousands of legal immigrants waiting for green cards and citizenship. Do they get to jump the line too? I know legal immigrants from Asia who can't apply to medical school yet. Humanitarian issues aside, we have laws in place for a reason.

No doubt a complex issue that requires Congressional action.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's wrong. My grandparents had to bust their ass off to become citizens and they pay their taxes. I don't agree with non US taxpayers being in our universities when Americans can't even get jobs right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Kind of marginalizes the hundreds of thousands of legal immigrants waiting for green cards and citizenship. Do they get to jump the line too? I know legal immigrants from Asia who can't apply to medical school yet. Humanitarian issues aside, we have laws in place for a reason.

No doubt a complex issue that requires Congressional action.

They should. If not, there's a huge issue. It's taking one of my friends forever to get that Green Card (been 14 years) and as a result he has decided not to pursue medicine-this is a kid who was pretty much brought up here.

Also, while I am all in for diversity I do not like allowing tax payer dollars to go to training foreign physicians so they can go back to where they were originally from to practice there. If a student uses federal/state assistance, I think they should be required to commit service in the U.S. as an attending for some amount of years. What do to guys think about this? I'm no health policy buff so don't flame me if this sounds stupid.

Last edited:
Also, why will they have problems getting licensed? I believe with all the investment an individual puts into medical school, it is not fair to admit anyone who will not be able to work legally in the US four years from then. According to the article, Loyola is doing this because the POTUS signed an executive order. Can't this be overturned by a future president? Shouldn't significant legislation be in place first before Loyola makes this move?

Last edited:
They should. If not, there's a huge issue. It's taking one of my friends forever to get that Green Card (been 14 years) and as a result he has decided not to pursue medicine-this is a kid who was pretty much brought up here.

Also, while I an all in for diversity I do not like allowing tax payer dollars to go to training foreign physicians so they can go back to where they were originally from to practice there. If a student uses federal/state assistance, I think they should be required to commit service in the U.S. as an attending for some amount of years. What do to guys think about this? I'm no health policy buff so don't flame me if this sounds stupid.

This is a problem. If they are unable to practice in the US without being a legal citizen, why are we training them to become physicians with US tax dollars.

I also have an issue with it because there are PLENTY of US students that get rejected from med schools every year. I believe that students with competitive numbers, and no big issues, deserve a spot.

Last edited:

Also, while I an all in for diversity I do not like allowing tax payer dollars to go to training foreign physicians so they can go back to where they were originally from to practice there. If a student uses federal/state assistance, I think they should be required to commit service in the U.S. as an attending for some amount of years. What do to guys think about this? I'm no health policy buff so don't flame me if this sounds stupid.

I still am not sure what my opinion on the whole policy by Loyola but I wanted to address your bold statement. That point is most likely invalid for the type of immigrants covered by this policy. These are people who have lived most of their lives in the US and probably identify as American ( or *Insert Citizenship*-American). They probably have no desire to go back to their country of birth to practice. So while I think the policy makes sense, I don't see it making much of a difference in how those people would have practiced anyway....now if they allowed people like me (people on VISAs) to get financial aid in exchange for a work commitment in the US that would be a different story.

Reactions: 1 user
I still am not sure what my opinion on the whole policy by Loyola but I wanted to address your bold statement. That point is most likely invalid for the type of immigrants covered by this policy. These are people who have lived most of their lives in the US and probably identify as American ( or *Insert Citizenship*-American). They probably have no desire to go back to their country of birth to practice. So while I think the policy makes sense, I don't see it making much of a difference in how those people would have practiced anyway....now if they allowed people like me (people on VISAs) to get financial aid in exchange for a work commitment in the US that would be a different story.

Last edited:
Reading from ABC, apparently Loyola's going off of Obama's order to allow "young adults brought to this country as children to temporarily live and work legally in the U.S." Quite inapplicable to medicine, IMO. The whole order is a load of BS.

I agree. Becoming a physician is in no way "temporary." It provides them with (I think) a two year work VISAs. Not even enough to get through school.

Living and identifying as an American does not equal paying taxes, which is where the money is coming from to pay for them to attend.

I did not say that it did. I was responding to the previous poster's comment that "I do not like allowing tax payer dollars to go to training foreign physicians so they can go back to where they were originally from to practice there". I was saying that that would most likely not be the case with undocumented immigrants since they identified very strongly with America and would probably be very willing to commit to serving in the US. Therefore, if the previous poster thought that this would have been some way of deterring them from applying or something it would not serve that purpose.

I agree with the bolded statement above. A lot of these undocumented students were brought to the U.S when they were very young. While I am not Mexican, I know that a lot of people are brought to the U.S from Mexico, spend their whole lives in the U.S, and have very limited exposure to Mexican culture and therefore have very little desire to go back. Like the person I quoted mentioned, these people consider themselves American or Mexican-American, so I wouldn't necessarily consider them to be 'foreign physicians'.

Also, keep in mind that many undocumented immigrants pay federal, state, and local taxes.

Members don't see this ad :)

So why can't they get in line and do things the right way just like everyone else?

My parents spent a long time waiting for their visas so that they could come to this country and have better lives. So have many others.

Reactions: 2 users
I did not say that it did. I was responding to the previous poster's comment that "I do not like allowing tax payer dollars to go to training foreign physicians so they can go back to where they were originally from to practice there". I was saying that that would most likely not be the case with undocumented immigrants since they identified very strongly with America and would probably be very willing to commit to serving in the US. Therefore, if the previous poster thought that this would have been some way of deterring them from applying or something it would not serve that purpose.

This was said because, currently, as an illegal immigrant, they would not be able to practice in the US. They would have to go somewhere else to practice medicine. Illegal immigrants cannot get a license to practice medicine in the US. So we would be paying for them to get a degree that they can't even use to better our country.

This is a problem. If they are unable to practice in the US without being a legal citizen, why are we training them to become physicians with US tax dollars.

I also have an issue with it because there are PLENTY of US students that get rejected from med schools every year. I believe that students with competitive numbers, and no big issues, deserve a spot well before an illegal immigrant does.

I think it's more to target the kids whose parents brought them here illegally at a young age, but they grew up in the US and really only know American culture, going back to Mexico or wherever they immigrated from would be like sending an American to a foreign country. But I still don't agree with it.

"I did not say that it did. I was responding to the previous poster's comment that "I do not like allowing tax payer dollars to go to training foreign physicians so they can go back to where they were originally from to practice there". I was saying that that would most likely not be the case with undocumented immigrants since they identified very strongly with America and would probably be very willing to commit to serving in the US. Therefore, if the previous poster thought that this would have been some way of deterring them from applying or something it would not serve that purpose."

You are probably right about the majority of undocumented immigrant's allegiance but a regulation should still be in place to prevent the exceptions, though right?

Or on the other hand, maybe that would be restricting freedoms...? This is the U.S. after all. Maybe it would be beneficial to train some physicians and allow them to go abroad but in that case I think there should be a quote placed on the amount. Maybe we should make those interested in practicing abroad give their justifications/plans for practicing abroad and making them apply for permission to be waived from the aforementioned regulation (the one I mentioned earlier about requiring undocumenteds to practice 'x' number of years in the U.S. before being allowed to go anywhere else.

So why can't they get in line and do things the right way just like everyone else?

My parents spent a long time waiting for their visas so that they could come to this country and have better lives. So have many others.

Did you see the first line of my statement where I said I do not know what my feelings are on the policy as yet? Where in my entire post did I say that I agreed with the policy. I still don't know where I stand on it because while I understand that they have technically broken the law, they are normally not the ones who chose to break the law. They were brought here by their parents who broke the law. So I do not know if I think they should be penalized for the actions of their parents. I do however understand how that could be unfair for other immigrants trying to do things the legal way.

And I am fully aware of how difficult it is to legally get residency/citizenship in the US. I am an international student here legally. I have paid for every cent of my education so far, done every single thing legally and by the book and have been unsuccessful at getting a green card for the last couple years. I also have many barriers against me as I apply to medical school.

You are probably right about the majority of undocumented immigrant's allegiance but a regulation should still be in place to prevent the exceptions, though right?

Or on the other hand, maybe that would be restricting freedoms...? This is the U.S. after all. Maybe it would be beneficial to train some physicians and allow them to go abroad but in that case I think there should be a quote placed on the amount. Maybe we should make those interested in practicing abroad give their justifications/plans for practicing abroad and making them apply for permission to be waived from the aforementioned regulation (the one I mentioned earlier about requiring undocumenteds to practice 'x' number of years in the U.S. before being allowed to go anywhere else.

I have no problem with the policy in theory. My home country has a similar policy. If you receive money from the government you have to go back home and serve for a period of time. I just don't think it would make any real difference for this population of immigrants.

Did you see the first line of my statement where I said I do not know what my feelings are on the policy as yet? Where in my entire post did I say that I agreed with the policy. I still don't know where I stand on it because while I understand that they have technically broken the law, they are normally not the ones who chose to break the law. They were brought here by their parents who broke the law. So I do not know if I think they should be penalized for the actions of their parents. I do however understand how that could be unfair for other immigrants trying to do things the legal way.

And I am fully aware of how difficult it is to legally get residency/citizenship in the US. I am an international student here legally. I have paid for every cent of my education so far, done every single thing legally and by the book and have been unsuccessful at getting a green card for the last couple years. I also have many barriers against me as I apply to medical school.

GingerGirl, good luck to you as you continue your studies.

Planes2Doc, many immigrants try but cannot gain legal residency in the U.S. They have to either stay home without being able to adequately provide for their families, or migrate to the US, clandestinely, in order to create better opportunities for their children. Like I said, many of these families would remain living in complete impoverishment if they did not leave for the U.S. This is not because they don't work hard, but simply due to the lack of jobs/ adequate paying jobs. Now, I'm not necessarily saying this is right, but I think we should try to understand their perspective. Many of these immigrants aren't trying to break the law, they're just trying to survive.

As for Loyola's new policy.... I'm not sure. I don't know how undocumented students would obtain licenses to practice in the U.S

Maybe I am missing something but why won't undocumented immigrants be able to be licensed? If they are able to complete medical school, a residency and all USMLE steps what would be preventing them? I am genuinely unclear about this point.

"They'll all be M.D.s, but whether or not they can practice legally in states is to be determined," Mr. Young said. "One must think about what happens downstream."

According to this site, Mr. Young is the senior director of students and affairs at AAMC so he probably knows what he's talking about. If he says that the path to licensing is uncertain at this point why is Loyola accepting applications? Now, I am baffled :confused: Are they trying to jump the gun (to be the first college that did this) while taking the risk of the laws not working out in their favor? That's not a risk I would NOT take. Could someone please clarify.

Also, if they end up not being able to practice in the United State this goes back to my earlier point of the worth of using US fed/state aid to fund these students which they are planning to get done:

The students are not eligible to receive federal financial aid to cover Loyola's almost $200,000 in tuition and fees for the three-year program. Next month, the Illinois Finance Authority may consider a measure that would allow it to make loans to any of the state's medical or dental schools, which the schools would then disburse to undocumented students, an IFA spokeswoman said.

These discussions are what I like most about SDN :D

" Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act signed into law by President Bill Clinton in 1996, which prohibits undocumented immigrants from receiving any federal benefits. These benefits include any "professional license or commercial license provided by an agency of the United States."

This is from an article about how illegal immigrants can't get a license to practice law in the US but this Act includes a license to practice medicine too.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/21/sergio-garcia-lawyer_n_1819571.html

I am looking for more evidence of this for you.

Edit: Oh SuperDhooper19 found a good one

I'm currently planning on matriculating to Loyola. Here's a couple statements from this website:http://loyolastudentdispatch.com/2013/06/13/loyola-medical-school-accepting-undocumented-immigrants/

The Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine is pleased to invite applications from qualified persons with DACA immigration status or who are DACA-eligible.
DACA stands for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. This is from the DREAM Act (Development, Relief and Education of Alien Minors Act). "They are Americans in every way except lack citizenship status."

In order to obtain DACA-status, DREAMers must meet certain criteria including that they were brought to the United States before the age of sixteen but are not older than thirty-one years of age, have achieved particular levels of education or military service, and not have been convicted of a felony or have a problematic record of misdemeanors
Again, these are not just random illegal immigrants trying to get a visa. They're children who were raised here, received an education, and behaved appropriately. The site links to the whole list of the complete regulations for DACA-status if you want to read through it all.

Students with DACA status remain ineligible for most federal benefits including federally-guaranteed student loans. ... The package can potentially combine school-based aid and alternative loans that are similar to federally-guaranteed loans in their terms
They're not getting scholarships from the government to fund for their education. They're simply being given access to similar loans that we're all taking out to fund our own education (those being Stafford and GradPLUS).

Lastly,
As a two-year renewable status, it cannot provide the recipient with the long-term security that comes with a path to citizenship.
They're not getting a free ride to citizenship.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I would have an easier time accepting this IF there were a shortage of qualified med school applicants and graduates to fill empty residence positions but this simply isn't the case.

What would happen if a residency program refused to take in one of these graduates? I smell a law-suit.

If you don't have at least a green card, you should not be allowed to apply to US medical schools. Simple as that.

I find it absolutely disgusting but it's just another case of the rich and powerful diluting the (upper) middle class dream, so I really shouldn't be surprised.

Do any of you guys feel guilty thinking this way?

Last edited:
There's nothing to feel guilty about. The undocumented people can get in line just like everyone else did. There's no line cutting

Do any of you guys feel guilty thinking this way?
I completely disagree with Loyola and I almost feel bad for thinking this way. I feel like I am being selfish and acting entitled. However, my feelings against this policy are stronger than my guilt.

It sucks that they should be held responsible for their parents laziness and dishonesty, but why should we subjugate ourselves to an illegal outsider who broke the rules and never paid taxes?

it's pretty amazing that some you are able to say things with (what seems like) the utmost confidence, when you have preconceived notions about certain aspects of undocumented people that may not be true. Pretty crazy to hold a three year old responsible for a decision made by his parents--something that he/she didn't have a say in. Also crazy that many of you expect people to pick up their entire lives and go to countries that they may have no connections with... I'm not sure if many of you would hold yourselves to the same standards.

"Illegal outsider"... So when did you know you weren't an outsider? Five years old? Kids that grow up here don't think of themselves as outsiders. Also, do you know for a fact that they never paid taxes? Or are you just really good at making assumptions?

Your lack of sympathy worries me for the future of your patients. I guess everyone has different reasons for going into medicine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I generally agree about the fairness of waiting, but I, for example, have a friend that has lived here for a long time, came as a small child, and worked hard in school- I think she deserves the chance to atleast get loans

I am surprised this hasn't been brought up here yet but I was wondering what you guys thought about it.

If you haven't read up on it, here is a link:
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...ola-med-school-to-admit-undocumented-students

It seems like down the road, these students will have trouble getting a license to practice medicine in the US.

I'd also like to hear your thoughts on these students receiving financial aid from the state.

Loyola was foolish to make that decision, pretty much as idiotic as the current politicians supporting immigration reform (who also oppose voter ID laws).

A politician's dream: amnesty for illegal immigrants from Mexico and Latin America. If you're an illegal immigrant from other countries, you will be deported. Loyola is as stupid and hypocritical as these politicians. Rush is of the same rank as Loyola but doesn't implement this pathetic amnesty for illegal aliens. Loyola is completely disgraceful.

It sucks that they should be held responsible for their parents laziness and dishonesty, but why should we subjugate ourselves to an illegal outsider who broke the rules and never paid taxes?

Indeed it's sad for children born to these illegal aliens, who are parasites of our welfare system. But Obama and Democrats want more votes, while Republicans want cheap labor. Politicians are America's manure.

I find it absolutely disgusting but it's just another case of the rich and powerful diluting the (upper) middle class dream, so I really shouldn't be surprised.

Partially that but we need to destroy the welfare state that Obama restored. Illegal aliens migrate like a horde of mosquitoes, sucking the benefits of welfare for free.

Loyola is an idiot for making that decision. Hey Loyola, why don't you place international apllicants BEFORE illegal aliens (or their children)? At least legal immigrants came into the US legally, unlike illegals trying to ignore our laws, because we're so lenient.

Partially that but we need to destroy the welfare state that Obama restored. Illegal aliens migrate like a horde of mosquitoes, sucking the benefits of welfare for free.

Loyola is an idiot for making that decision. Hey Loyola, why don't you place international apllicants BEFORE illegal aliens (or their children)? At least legal immigrants came into the US legally, unlike illegals trying to ignore our laws, because we're so lenient.

This type of argument neglects the viewpoint that most applicants are likely children of immigrants or people who immigrated at a young-enough age to not be responsible for the decision to engage in that process.

Good move, Loyola. Lowering the achievement gap helps us all; a society with reduced inequality has benefits for everyone - this is a simple principle of sociology and economics.

it's pretty amazing that some you are able to say things with (what seems like) the utmost confidence, when you have preconceived notions about certain aspects of undocumented people that may not be true. Pretty crazy to hold a three year old responsible for a decision made by his parents--something that he/she didn't have a say in. Also crazy that many of you expect people to pick up their entire lives and go to countries that they may have no connections with... I'm not sure if many of you would hold yourselves to the same standards.

"Illegal outsider"... So when did you know you weren't an outsider? Five years old? Kids that grow up here don't think of themselves as outsiders. Also, do you know for a fact that they never paid taxes? Or are you just really good at making assumptions?

Your lack of sympathy worries me for the future of your patients. I guess everyone has different reasons for going into medicine.

In the real world we live in, our parent's decisions affect our lives and opportunities. Illegal immigrants are aware of the consequences of ILLEGALLY entering the US... and they are aware that the consequences also apply to their children. Their is a path to citizenship. It is long and difficult, but necessary. Admitting illegal immigrants to medical school over qualified US citizens is only going to amplify the issue at hand. Ignoring the fact that these people are here illegally and providing federal loans for their education will increase the incentive for illegal immigration to continue.

In the real world we live in, our parent's decisions affect our lives and opportunities. Illegal immigrants are aware of the consequences of ILLEGALLY entering the US... and they are aware that the consequences also apply to their children. Their is a path to citizenship. It is long and difficult, but necessary. Admitting illegal immigrants to medical school over qualified US citizens is only going to amplify the issue at hand. Ignoring the fact that these people are here illegally and providing federal loans for their education will increase the incentive for illegal immigration to continue.

Not to mention that if they're given legal immunity for the purposes of residency training, they're getting medical training for free. It is "estimated" that training a single resident for one year costs about $100,000.

Right, but there is something inherently unethical in making children accountable for their parents' decisions to immigrate - the parents can foresee that, but it still doesn't mean it's the child's fault or something the child should answer to. It's not like an immigrant child can choose not to immigrate.

Also, the argument for immigrant admission mirrors the argument for URM/under-served admissions - such people are more likely to go back and serve their communities. Unlike, say, the large number of you that will match into derm or gen surg and practice in a tertiary care center while entire communities have physician shortages.

Right, but there is something inherently unethical in making children accountable for their parents' decisions to immigrate - the parents can foresee that, but it still doesn't mean it's the child's fault or something the child should answer to. It's not like an immigrant child can choose not to immigrate.

Also, the argument for immigrant admission mirrors the argument for URM/under-served admissions - such people are more likely to go back and serve their communities. Unlike, say, the large number of you that will match into derm or gen surg and practice in a tertiary care center while entire communities have physician shortages.

It's unethical for illegal immigrants to steal spots from legal US applicants. There were nearly 10,000 applicants for 160 seats at Loyola. I'm sure they could have filled their class several times over with qualified applicants.

I understand where you are coming from, however I think it is foolish to compare this to the URM debate. URMs are tax-paying, law-abiding citizens of the US. This is not a debate regarding affirmative action. There are other threads for that, if you would like. This is a debate over admitting illegal immigrants to one of the most highly regarded and federally funded graduate programs in the US.

No one is saying it's the child's fault. Getting accepted in to medical school is extremely difficult. For many candidates, it is not as simple as graduating college and moving right on to medical school. They have to make themselves more competitive by taking post-bac courses, committing to hundreds of hours of community service, and re-studying for the MCAT. Candidates have to sacrifice to achieve their goal of becoming a physician. This same principle must be applied to immigrants. Their are standards required for admission, and they are not easy to achieve. However, like I've said, there are paths in place to citizenship for immigrants. It is not easy, and it takes a long time... but to qualify for a US medical education, US citizenship is (or at least legal status in the US) 100% necessary.

My thought: It is very good and makes me proud of the Medical School.

I think everybody deserves a chance to make the best and live a prosperous life. Things like these make me reinforce my commitment for the underserved.

To you Loyola:
hats-off1.jpg

....Democrats want more votes, while Republicans want cheap labor.....

:thumbup:

This is a major reason why what to do about illegal immigration remains a question mark. US companies employ illegals so that the companies don't have to pay minimum wage, federal and state taxes, healthcare, retirement, etc that they would otherwise have to pay if they employed Americans. So businessmen prefer that they stay illegal, and that they keep coming. On the other hand, a naturalized illegal immigrant will most probably vote Democrat. The borders can be much more secure than they currently are. Why aren't they?

IMO, Loyola's decision to accept applications from illegals seems more about making a political statement than anything else. I doubt they will receive any preference of any sort; there are plenty of applicants on immigrant visas, with green cards etc who get rejected each year. If anything, I foresee maybe one exceptional illegal applicant getting in (if any get in at all) just to back up the statement they are making. If an illegal is given access to state/federal money, I am sure there will be enough lawsuits against Loyola to where Loyola just might offer a full-ride scholarship using their own money to said student just to continue backing their statement.

Further, I believe that at least a few residency programs continue to sponsor the visas of and train foreign applicants. Also, I believe there still exists a path to a green card for foreigners on non-immigrant visas who commit to serving in a underserved area. Perhaps similar pathways might be set up if illegals are allowed into medical schools.

The majority of undocumented immigrants pay taxes. I would know, I used to be one.
Undocumented immigrants also don't qualify for food stamps, earned income credit on their tax returns, welfare, or Medicaid. We pay in buy take very little out.

Also, It's not as easy as applying and waiting in line. Often there is no line.