Time effective studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kreinstein

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that studying methods need to fit each person specifically, and have explored many this first week, but still find myself feeling as though I'm not using my time as effectively as possible. I work 20 hours a week (able to do some studying here thankfully) and have classes Monday-Thursday (including Biochem, however doing well). I am beyond motivated and use all of my free time for DAT studying, but like I mentioned before I kinda feel like my time isn't being used as effectively as it could. And with a late May test date rapidly approaching plus my other time commitments, I know effective studying will be vital.

So far I've followed the Bootcamp schedule, although I know already it will be tweaked slightly. Instead of doing Bootcamp subject tests I'm saving those for 2/3 weeks out of my test to do full lengths, and then study from each after. I've read they're the most similar and I want to use them to as accurately as possible estimate my scores to decide if I need to postpone. To supplement I purchased DAT genius and will use those in place of Bootcamp's subject tests to avoid seeing them once before the full lengths.

Below I'll mention each section and what I'm doing to study, please feel free to let me know what you think I could change or how you did something differently and how it worked better for you. Open to all suggestions and constructive criticism!

Bio

The section I'm most concerned about. I've never been the best at long term retention, I manage fairly good grades and do well on exams but it's usually been the cram for 2/3 nights before the exam, take it, leave and move on kinda thing and I know that WILL NOT suffice for the DAT.
So far I've read Cliffs 3rd edition, highlighted, and read Feralis after to recap and get the few extras. I downloaded Feralis anki deck and have used that each night to kinda recap what I've learned, though I still feel like sometimes I'm just learning to "win" playing with those cards and I'm not actually learning. I have Destroyer 2017 and plan on following the bootcamp schedule with that, along with the DAT genius subject tests before taking bootcamp full lengths

G Chem
I've watched Chads videos, taken the quizzes, and will follow the bootcamp schedule doing destroyer and DAT genius subject tests before taking bootcamp full lengths. Each day I am mindful to go back and do the coursesaver quizzes again, and thoroughly think about each question because by now I've pretty much remembered them. But sometimes still feel like I'm missing big gaps, should I start making an anki deck for this section? Anybody ever just make paper flashcards? Maybe rewrite my notes in a word document?

O Chem
Have not started yet because still only 6 days into the bootcamp schedule. However organic chemistry went fairly well for me last year so I am looking forward to studying things I might've retained. Will watch chads videos and take notes, followed by the DAT destroyer and genius subject tests before bootcamp full lengths towards the end.
When I took organic chemistry last year I made sooo many paper flash cards. Every reaction we'd learn or see an example of in class, I would have the reactions on the front of the flashcard with an intermediate missing maybe and just made sure I could explain what was happening. Besides naming and a few small NMR problems each exam, reactions basically were our class. Since it worked well should I take this same approach to O chem for the DAT? Anybody ever make paper flashcards for this section? Will doing destroyer and dat genius subject tests suffice?

PAT
So while I'm only about a week into the bootcamp schedule I have had all my resources for a little while and have played with PAT generators/tests the entire time. I looove the stuff, it honestly feels like a game to me (when they're not frustrating questions). I've taken DAT bootcamp tests 6, 7, 8 and 9 all under timed settings, by themselves albeit not a full length exam, and got a 20 on each one. I've also went through the DAT genius exams 1-5 on instant feedback mode (love this because it was a huge confidence boost) even though I would still time myself with the 1 hr limit! Again on these I've gotten 20 or above, even a 25, however I feel these are a bit easier.
I've read that Bootcamp is the most representative, and have even seen a few times that angle rankings are easier and thankfully that is what was bringing my score down most of the time. Followed by keyholes and a few weird TFE or pattern folding, other than that I do great and feel very confident.
I've seen many things about Crack the DAT PAT however I've already spent so much and will again soon when applying, would definitely not mind saving the $200 it is for the best edition. With that being said though I am still completely open to purchasing if people think it is truly worth it.

RC
English first language and have never had the biggest issue with reading, although know that is nothing to use as confidence because I've read many daunting stories about this section. I have read an article each night like recommended by the bootcamp schedule, doing my best to actively think about the material and understand the tone/opinion of the writer. I have not taken any practice tests yet however will use DAT genius subject tests when the bootcamp schedule says to do one, and then use bootcamp's for my full length practice exams.

QR
Always liked to think math went well for me. So far have watched chads videos, taken notes and the quizzes, and each day have gone back over the quizzes I've previously taken to make sure I'm getting the material. Every day has gone good so far (fingers crossed, I can see the material will get tougher), so hoping to continue, then jump to math destroyer, and then take the genius subject tests when prompted followed by bootcamp's for my full length practice.

Wow, I am sorry for how long that got but very thankful for anybody who has stuck around to the end lol. I'd really appreciate any feedback whether its good or bad, I think its very important that I am studying effectively for the months to come. Thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

I know that studying methods need to fit each person specifically, and have explored many this first week, but still find myself feeling as though I'm not using my time as effectively as possible. I work 20 hours a week (able to do some studying here thankfully) and have classes Monday-Thursday (including Biochem, however doing well). I am beyond motivated and use all of my free time for DAT studying, but like I mentioned before I kinda feel like my time isn't being used as effectively as it could. And with a late May test date rapidly approaching plus my other time commitments, I know effective studying will be vital.

So far I've followed the Bootcamp schedule, although I know already it will be tweaked slightly. Instead of doing Bootcamp subject tests I'm saving those for 2/3 weeks out of my test to do full lengths, and then study from each after. I've read they're the most similar and I want to use them to as accurately as possible estimate my scores to decide if I need to postpone. To supplement I purchased DAT genius and will use those in place of Bootcamp's subject tests to avoid seeing them once before the full lengths.

Below I'll mention each section and what I'm doing to study, please feel free to let me know what you think I could change or how you did something differently and how it worked better for you. Open to all suggestions and constructive criticism!

Bio

The section I'm most concerned about. I've never been the best at long term retention, I manage fairly good grades and do well on exams but it's usually been the cram for 2/3 nights before the exam, take it, leave and move on kinda thing and I know that WILL NOT suffice for the DAT.
So far I've read Cliffs 3rd edition, highlighted, and read Feralis after to recap and get the few extras. I downloaded Feralis anki deck and have used that each night to kinda recap what I've learned, though I still feel like sometimes I'm just learning to "win" playing with those cards and I'm not actually learning. I have Destroyer 2017 and plan on following the bootcamp schedule with that, along with the DAT genius subject tests before taking bootcamp full lengths

G Chem
I've watched Chads videos, taken the quizzes, and will follow the bootcamp schedule doing destroyer and DAT genius subject tests before taking bootcamp full lengths. Each day I am mindful to go back and do the coursesaver quizzes again, and thoroughly think about each question because by now I've pretty much remembered them. But sometimes still feel like I'm missing big gaps, should I start making an anki deck for this section? Anybody ever just make paper flashcards? Maybe rewrite my notes in a word document?

O Chem
Have not started yet because still only 6 days into the bootcamp schedule. However organic chemistry went fairly well for me last year so I am looking forward to studying things I might've retained. Will watch chads videos and take notes, followed by the DAT destroyer and genius subject tests before bootcamp full lengths towards the end.
When I took organic chemistry last year I made sooo many paper flash cards. Every reaction we'd learn or see an example of in class, I would have the reactions on the front of the flashcard with an intermediate missing maybe and just made sure I could explain what was happening. Besides naming and a few small NMR problems each exam, reactions basically were our class. Since it worked well should I take this same approach to O chem for the DAT? Anybody ever make paper flashcards for this section? Will doing destroyer and dat genius subject tests suffice?

PAT
So while I'm only about a week into the bootcamp schedule I have had all my resources for a little while and have played with PAT generators/tests the entire time. I looove the stuff, it honestly feels like a game to me (when they're not frustrating questions). I've taken DAT bootcamp tests 6, 7, 8 and 9 all under timed settings, by themselves albeit not a full length exam, and got a 20 on each one. I've also went through the DAT genius exams 1-5 on instant feedback mode (love this because it was a huge confidence boost) even though I would still time myself with the 1 hr limit! Again on these I've gotten 20 or above, even a 25, however I feel these are a bit easier.
I've read that Bootcamp is the most representative, and have even seen a few times that angle rankings are easier and thankfully that is what was bringing my score down most of the time. Followed by keyholes and a few weird TFE or pattern folding, other than that I do great and feel very confident.
I've seen many things about Crack the DAT PAT however I've already spent so much and will again soon when applying, would definitely not mind saving the $200 it is for the best edition. With that being said though I am still completely open to purchasing if people think it is truly worth it.

RC
English first language and have never had the biggest issue with reading, although know that is nothing to use as confidence because I've read many daunting stories about this section. I have read an article each night like recommended by the bootcamp schedule, doing my best to actively think about the material and understand the tone/opinion of the writer. I have not taken any practice tests yet however will use DAT genius subject tests when the bootcamp schedule says to do one, and then use bootcamp's for my full length practice exams.

QR
Always liked to think math went well for me. So far have watched chads videos, taken notes and the quizzes, and each day have gone back over the quizzes I've previously taken to make sure I'm getting the material. Every day has gone good so far (fingers crossed, I can see the material will get tougher), so hoping to continue, then jump to math destroyer, and then take the genius subject tests when prompted followed by bootcamp's for my full length practice.

Wow, I am sorry for how long that got but very thankful for anybody who has stuck around to the end lol. I'd really appreciate any feedback whether its good or bad, I think its very important that I am studying effectively for the months to come. Thank you so much!!

everything looks pretty good
i see you put a lot of thought into everything
work hard, good luck on the dat

i only used flash cards for things that literally did NOT stick to me (e.g. ecology terms, bronsted lowry bases etc). but to make flash cards for every single topic is absurd.

i used google hard for g chem. plus reviewing practice questions and re-doing them and making sure i got them right. i would look at khan academy or random university website pages and i made notes, and added on more notes as I went along, so by the end of the day i essentially had a mini dictionary/google on paper for my own reference. then i would review these like 2 weeks later and i'd have an "ah-ha" moment

i only did canadian so no QR or OG

PAT is just making sure you're attentive and reviewing old questions you did and understanding why you got it wrong. some answers you might just not understand, but move on and keep reviewing.

I'm an immigrant as well, but for RC i would tackle reading the questions to look at key words then read the passage. this way you get an idea of whether to use S&D or read more into the passage if the questions seem like it has more "what is the tone/inference/author trying to say" questions

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you've got a solid plan laid out. As long as you keep reviewing your notes and regularly use practice materials, you're going to be well prepared for the exam. Flashcards for o-chem reactions can definitely be helpful in my opinion. You mention you sometimes feel like you're missing big gaps in gen chem - is there specific material you're having difficulty with there?

I would try to take at least one RC practice test just to get a feel for the types of questions you'll be expected to answer moving answer.

I think you have a good plan going forward. Be conscious of how your daily study schedule is right now. If it's working, then I would stick with it. You want to have a week to half a week near the exam ideally, where you're just reviewing concepts and old questions.

Personally I have never been a fan of flashcards and still am not using them to study in dental school. It's more effective for me to re-write my notes, study from them and refine them with more information as I study, if need be. Doing as many practice questions as you can to get exposure for bio is the best advice I can give you. Reading Cliffs AP and Feralis' notes sufficed for me to get above a 20. Bio can seem to be the most daunting because of breadth, but as long as you continue flipping through notes or flashcards to get repeated exposure (and understanding) of those concepts, you should be ok. Same idea goes for OC, PAT and QR with practice questions.

It might not seem like it right now in the midst of it all, but most likely you know more than you realize. Good luck!
I will do my best to make sure that I have that much time towards the end of my schedule. And as for Bio I appreciate the tips, I'll stick to Cliffs and Ferali's notes for review and then do my best to see as many questions as possible. Thank you so much for the help!
@Kreinstein what difference did you see between BC and datgenius?
I've only done PAT tests on each, and they're both very similar except Bootcamps angles and keyholes are just slightly more challenging. I don't remember where but someone's breakdown mentioned RC being most similar to genius's tests so that is something I look forward to. I mainly wanted the extra subject tests to save the Bootcamp ones for full lengths, just went with Ari's recommendation on genius. Fingers crossed it works out well!
everything looks pretty good
i see you put a lot of thought into everything
work hard, good luck on the dat
Thanks, Ty! I didn't mention them because I haven't looked much but know I have a set of your bio notes over here too :p
Would you recommend setting aside the time to read through yours? Or taking it a step further and making my own?

i only used flash cards for things that literally did NOT stick to me (e.g. ecology terms, bronsted lowry bases etc). but to make flash cards for every single topic is absurd.

i used google hard for g chem. plus reviewing practice questions and re-doing them and making sure i got them right. i would look at khan academy or random university website pages and i made notes, and added on more notes as I went along, so by the end of the day i essentially had a mini dictionary/google on paper for my own reference. then i would review these like 2 weeks later and i'd have an "ah-ha" moment

i only did canadian so no QR or OG

PAT is just making sure you're attentive and reviewing old questions you did and understanding why you got it wrong. some answers you might just not understand, but move on and keep reviewing.

I'm an immigrant as well, but for RC i would tackle reading the questions to look at key words then read the passage. this way you get an idea of whether to use S&D or read more into the passage if the questions seem like it has more "what is the tone/inference/author trying to say" questions
Ahh good point I like that approach. The few times I've utilized flashcards (orgo/biochem) I make all of what I need to know (rxns, amino acids, etc) instead of only getting ones I'm struggling with. While this wasn't an issue then because of the amount of material, I can undoubtedly see why your strategy would work when applied to the DAT and especially in my situation. I think as I start going through Cliffs/Feralis notes I'll make flash cards on the second day of reading a chapter, and only of things that I'm totally lost on. Thank you so much for all the help, including the tips in the other sections!
I think you've got a solid plan laid out. As long as you keep reviewing your notes and regularly use practice materials, you're going to be well prepared for the exam. Flashcards for o-chem reactions can definitely be helpful in my opinion. You mention you sometimes feel like you're missing big gaps in gen chem - is there specific material you're having difficulty with there?

I would try to take at least one RC practice test just to get a feel for the types of questions you'll be expected to answer moving answer.
I wouldn't say a certain section necessarily, just would watch Chad's videos and feel like I've learned everything there was to know only to get a quiz question that I had no clue how to do. I've filled those gaps since, but felt a little uneasy because I'd finish those videos extremely confident. While I like to think I've missed nothing from them theres a chance I've just missed pointers here and there and they caught up to me on the quizzes. Instead I also think he assumes we've retained quite a bit from gen chem (as we should've) and I'm a little behind. If you were to recommend another source to supplement coursesaver's GC before I get into the Destroyer, what would it be? Thank you for taking the time to read and offer help, and a special thanks for your notes! They've very much appreciated, Ferali.

I wouldn't say a certain section necessarily, just would watch Chad's videos and feel like I've learned everything there was to know only to get a quiz question that I had no clue how to do. I've filled those gaps since, but felt a little uneasy because I'd finish those videos extremely confident. While I like to think I've missed nothing from them theres a chance I've just missed pointers here and there and they caught up to me on the quizzes. Instead I also think he assumes we've retained quite a bit from gen chem (as we should've) and I'm a little behind. If you were to recommend another source to supplement coursesaver's GC before I get into the Destroyer, what would it be? Thank you for taking the time to read and offer help, and a special thanks for your notes! They've very much appreciated, Ferali.

The same thing happened with Chad's quizzes for me - I don't think it means you missed anything in the videos, there's just a bit of a learning curve to applying that knowledge to practice questions and being able to catch the little tricks and exceptions that come up. Once you fill in the gaps you're all set for the real exam. I honestly think as far as content review goes Coursesaver + practicing Destroyer & Bootcamp is more than enough. You mentioned you purchased DAT Genius so I'd try using that as a source for more practice questions until you start using your other resources.

Ahh good point I like that approach. The few times I've utilized flashcards (orgo/biochem) I make all of what I need to know (rxns, amino acids, etc) instead of only getting ones I'm struggling with. While this wasn't an issue then because of the amount of material, I can undoubtedly see why your strategy would work when applied to the DAT and especially in my situation. I think as I start going through Cliffs/Feralis notes I'll make flash cards on the second day of reading a chapter, and only of things that I'm totally lost on. Thank you so much for all the help, including the tips in the other sections!

also, onenote is your best friend. i made a tab for biology/chem/pat sections, and added pages for topics/subtopics, and i would just re-type out notes from feralis/ty notes (repeat/regurgitation type of studying). then i would review it the next day. i would bold/color/underline in onenote. it really helps. and i actually work full time (still do) and commuted one hour each way, so i had to computerize everything, and onenote helped me study on the train. i would also input youtube videos or download them (eg. fetus heart, cycles of things)

anyway, just get into a habit of repeating even if it means you nkow the subject and for the subjects that's difficult for you, definitely spend time because it will definitely show up on the DAT. you'll see that one day everything will click like a cDNA to its parent DNA