scpod

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
OK... so, you think that this is a long journey, and it really is, but from my perspective once you matriculate things go at nearly the speed of light. It sees like eons ago that I started my apps with AMCAS and AACOMASand TMDSAS. The interview season seems like it took for freakin' ever. The summer before med school was absolutely miserable because every day lasted about 472 hours....

But, it seems like just yesterday that I smelled my first cadaver and that I put my whole arm into a dead person's body cavities for the first time. I still have that lightly-stained lab jacket in the trunk of my car :). Not long ago I stuck my fingers into a living woman's vagina and a man's anus as well :scared:. Just today I finished the last exam of my basic sciences med school career. Yeah... I've got part one around the corner and some other important stuff to think about, but time really flies in medical school. Before you know it, years have passed by and you are just steps away from seeing real, honest-to-God patients every single day.

I think that's the part that all of us were really looking forward to. It just seems like it takes sooooo long to get here. I even watched a few of my classmates fall by the wayside along this journey and I wonder what they'll be doing in a few years.

Yet, there is so much left to do and so many steps left to take. I'm still years away from living that dream. I guess that I just wanted to say that it is worth it--- every miserable moment. And, you will see and feel many miserable moments along the way. You will question your choices and wonder why you didn't just choose engineering or art after all.

In the end, I hope that you'll be happy with your choices-- I am. It took me a long time to reach that decision, though. The good news is that you will survive, and that you'll be an integral part of a very noble profession. And, it isn't very far away. It might seem like it's almost out of your grasp... but it isn't. It's really just around the corner.

Gold 5

Stay On Target
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2007
Vicinity of Yavin IV
Status
Medical Student
Congrats scpod, I guess time flies when you are having fun or being run around like a chicken without a head. Just out of curiosity, how many dropped out of your class?

About the Ads

just a dream
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Can't wait until that's me.

OP
scpod

scpod

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
....Just out of curiosity, how many dropped out of your class?
We started with 162, I think. There are 152 of us currently. But, there are 4 from a previous class. Also, two from my class are in the class behind me now. There have been several that we lost due to medical problems or family issues and a few with academic issues. But, they work with those people who are not doing well on tests. We are ALL required to meet with our advisor each month and discuss our study habits, grades, other issues, etc. If you aren't doing well, you may have to meet twice a month or even every week.

DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Hey scpod, we made it! *highfive*

This past week almost killed me, but now I feel like I can sit down and do 200 multiple choice questions with answer options from A-J and not even break a sweat.

OP
scpod

scpod

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Hey scpod, we made it! *highfive*

This past week almost killed me, but now I feel like I can sit down and do 200 multiple choice questions with answer options from A-J and not even break a sweat.
I know....and we get to "practice" that twice again on Monday! Piece of cake :laugh:

DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I know....and we get to "practice" that twice again on Monday! Piece of cake :laugh:
At least we know that after this next month of crap we get turned loose on real patients. Even as burned out as I am right now, that is really motivating to me.

nlax30

10+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Congrats you guys!! That is awesome. I saw ya'll taking that test Friday, what was it, just a really long diagnostic exam?

Hopefully you went out last night and "celebrated".

I do believe though that things just fly by. I can't believe that I'm just about a month away from finishing my first year.

Powdermonkey

ninja doctor in training
10+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2007
Quick! Call a code, grab a cart!
www.osteobook.net
Status
Attending Physician
OP
scpod

scpod

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
...what was it, just a really long diagnostic exam?....
Yeah. it was the NBME basic sciences exam-- 200 questions. Just like a PBL test :D. We take two more like it on Monday that Dr. K made up.

spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
Status
Attending Physician
I do believe though that things just fly by. I can't believe that I'm just about a month away from finishing my first year.
I feel similarly.

spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
Status
Attending Physician
Congratulations, second-years, on completing your basic sciences (can't wait to be where you are right now), and good luck on boards! :luck: :hardy: :D

May the Force be with you as you transition into clinical rotations...

just a dream
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2006
Status
Medical Student
What, being drunk and posting? Thats easy stuff....
Ha. No. I'm the queen of drinking and posting. Well, I used to be. Before this semester came along and wiped the floor with my ***.

I was referring to being where scpod is in terms of schooling.

Gold 5

Stay On Target
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2007
Vicinity of Yavin IV
Status
Medical Student
We started with 162, I think. There are 152 of us currently. But, there are 4 from a previous class. Also, two from my class are in the class behind me now. There have been several that we lost due to medical problems or family issues and a few with academic issues. But, they work with those people who are not doing well on tests. We are ALL required to meet with our advisor each month and discuss our study habits, grades, other issues, etc. If you aren't doing well, you may have to meet twice a month or even every week.
Thanks for answering my question. Once again congrats to you and DragonWell (Shyrem must be coming up soon). Good luck on the boards, I already have lots of confidence that you will do great in your 3rd year.;)

group_theory

EX-TER-MIN-ATE!'
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
My wholehearted congratulations to you, Dragonwell, and all the MS-IIs out there who will tackle the beast (COMLEX 1) and join the clinical sides of things. You're at the halfway mark. And I absolutely agree with you ... it seems like yesterday that I was filling out AACOMAS and going for med school interviews.

Which reminds me, in a couple of months, I will have to teach a whole new crop of medical students how to properly present to the attending (without annoying the attending with either useless info OR forgetting pertinent positives/negatives), and how to write notes.

Try not to forget too much of what you learned in the first two years :D (easier said than done when the attending, senior residents, interns, and fellow med students are looking at you to answer the question that your attending have just thrown to you :eek:)

See you bright and early!!

About the Ads