Time in the carribean & Ross vs. SGU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaadu1981

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I was looking into Ross vs. SGU for med school (I have been accepted at both). I was trying to make a decision between the two. Is it true that if I went to Ross I would be back in the states after 2 years of basic sciences and whereas if I went to SGU I would go to St. Vincent's after 2 years for the clinical portion for the next 2 years? Because if this is so, Ross seems quite appealing.
Also, I recently found out that Ross's basic science curriculum has become integrated whereas SGU doesn't have that. I do like the integrated curriculum better. But i was wondering what other SGU students thought of their curriculum.
Which school has better living conditions? Any students from SGU or Ross can you help me decide which one to attend and please give me accurate reasons. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

jaadu1981 said:
Hello,
I was looking into Ross vs. SGU for med school (I have been accepted at both). I was trying to make a decision between the two. Is it true that if I went to Ross I would be back in the states after 2 years of basic sciences and whereas if I went to SGU I would go to St. Vincent's after 2 years for the clinical portion for the next 2 years? Because if this is so, Ross seems quite appealing.
Also, I recently found out that Ross's basic science curriculum has become integrated whereas SGU doesn't have that. I do like the integrated curriculum better. But i was wondering what other SGU students thought of their curriculum.
Which school has better living conditions? Any students from SGU or Ross can you help me decide which one to attend and please give me accurate reasons. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I can't say much about Ross and how long you are down in the islands but at SGU you go to grenada for the first 1.5 years and St. Vincent for the last semester of second year. The last two years of SGU are spent in the US if you want to and have the option of going to England if choose. In Vinnies you do some pre-clinical rotations. A few times a week you go to the local hospital and rotate through various departments.
The basic science years of SGU are very traditional in that it is pretty much all classroom. It would have been nice to spend some more time in the hospital but I have no real complaints with it. I thought the curriculum prepared us very well for the boards.
Lastly in regards to living conditions it seems like grenada is more developed than than Dominica. I've talked to a few Ross students who have seen both schools and they said the facilities and living conditions of SGU were a good deal better. But those were a few students opinions. Whether they were suffering from "the grass is greener" syndrome or not I can't say. One thing you may want to consider in trying to decide among the schools is visit them. Sure this may seem a little pricey but it may make all the difference. I know it did for me when I visited SGU and another carib school before I made up my decision. I wasn't so sure but after I saw both SGU and the other one there was absolutely no question in my mind where I would go. Anyways best of luck with your decision and do know that regardless of which one you choose if you succeed there you will do well. Both of them are good schools.