Time to come clean: I just want to make $$$..!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dr.phoot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm studying for an MCAT retake and as I think about this field, more and more I realize I just wanna own a Porsche, wear $600+ crockett & Jones shoes, custom tailored suits, a rolex, etc. These are all things that are not out of the range on a podiatrist' salary!

honestly,

[1] I'm looking for $200k+ @ a professional white-collar career and just call it a day. Don't care.

[2] I've shadowed a pod at a senior's home and all he did was routine care clipping toe nails. I'll gladly do that all day. Screw the surgical stuff.

[3] My second career choice will max out around the low -- mid $100ks. But there is no guarantees of even getting there. Pod has a higher chance of hitting $200k+ and 6figs!

[4] I also like the prestige from pod. You're still a doctor! Even My dad, who is so anal about what career I choose, was like, go for it! Who gives a f***k!? You'll still be a doc.

I don't think I'm the only one on here that feels this way (about the money) either. I'm open to being challenged on this.

One thing I'll say though: just because I'm in it for the money does not mean I will give crappy care to patients! I'll be very professional at work, show compassion, but honestly, I'll just be looking forward to the payout!!

I know this subforum is divided on the issue of pod vs. MD/DO. Some of y'all have mentioned that if you had the grades you would have gone MD/DO. I didn't even have the grades for an official post-bacc program. I had to go the DIY route. So, those of you that have gotten accepted / already in school, cherish it! I would trade so many things--I can't even menion here--to be in your shoes!

I'm I the biggest scumbag?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
OMG not going into medicine for self sacrificing congratulatory altruism REEEEEEE. So triggered right now.

In REEEEality, most people choose medicine for the money. Imagine how easy to get into MD would be if a doctor only made 65K/year to 80k/year?

All jobs suck, thats why they pay you to be there. Its called work, not happy fun rainbow sunshine time. The question is, can you tolerate the job long enough to make the money you need to:
1) survive
2) have money to pursue your intrests outside of work. Like hiking, traveling, buying nice stuff, etc.

With that in mind, I would be aware of how much debt to income you take on. I use a 1:3 guideline for investments when taking debt into account. Case in point, lets say I want to be a Pharmacist. Average salary in my area is 90-120K. Lets say for argument that I'll average 110K over the lifetime/year. Well, after taxes thats like 85K/year. I would go into debt no more than 255K for a Pharmacy degree. Live off of 30K/year, pay the rest to the debt, be free in 5 years.

I'm studying for an MCAT retake and as I think about this field, more and more I realize I just wanna own a Porsche, wear $600+ crockett & Jones shoes, custom tailored suits, a rolex, etc. These are all things that are not out of the range on a podiatrist' salary!

honestly,

[1] I'm looking for $200k+ @ a professional white-collar career and just call it a day. Don't care.

[2] I've shadowed a pod at a senior's home and all he did was routine care clipping toe nails. I'll gladly do that all day. Screw the surgical stuff.

[3] My second career choice will max out around the low -- mid $100ks. But there is no guarantees of even getting there. Pod has a higher chance of hitting $200k+ and 6figs!

[4] I also like the prestige from pod. You're still a doctor! Even My dad, who is so anal about what career I choose, was like, go for it! Who gives a f***k!? You'll still be a doc.

I don't think I'm the only one on here that feels this way (about the money) either. I'm open to being challenged on this.

One thing I'll say though: just because I'm in it for the money does not mean I will give crappy care to patients! I'll be very professional at work, show compassion, but honestly, I'll just be looking forward to the payout!!

I know this subforum is divided on the issue of pod vs. MD/DO. Some of y'all have mentioned that if you had the grades you would have gone MD/DO. I didn't even have the grades for an official post-bacc program. I had to go the DIY route. So, those of you that have gotten accepted / already in school, cherish it! I would trade so many things--I can't even menion here--to be in your shoes!

I'm pretty sure this is like 90% of people. hahah
It's just taboo to talk about it for some reason.

However, I think you're being a little too optimistic on your desires. Can you buy a used Carrera S for like 70k on pod salary......sure.
Can you buy that, AND a rolex, AND a $600 shoe.....no.

Don't even think about buying ANYTHING you mentioned BRAND NEW. You will most likely NOT be able to afford a 120K car at all unless you get a 144-month loan. hahah. Used rolex's or breitlings, etc are doable though even on 100k a year.

Oh. And don't forget you need a roof over your head. And depending on where you live, that mortgage or rent could be HUGE!!!!!!!!!! (SF, LA, NYC,MIA)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Used luxury car + low cost of living state = Live comfortably while paying off your loans.

That said I still want something fun after residency. Used S2000 or RCF.

Sky is the limit.

Reactions: 1 users
Used luxury car + low cost of living state = Live comfortably while paying off your loans.

That said I still want something fun after residency. Used S2000 or RCF.

Sky is the limit.

Even fully CPO'd current gen S-classes can be found in the 70's-80's. That car was 120-140k just 4 years ago. AMG here I come.

Also, if you know what you're doing, you can buy fun toys that BARELY depreciate, or actually increase in value. *cough....first gen NSX, stick gallardos/R8's, manual porsches, S2K cough cough*

Reactions: 3 users
Even fully CPO'd current gen S-classes can be found in the 70's-80's. That car was 120-140k just 4 years ago. AMG here I come.

Also, if you know what you're doing, you can buy fun toys that BARELY depreciate, or actually increase in value. *cough....first gen NSX, stick gallardos/R8's, manual porsches, S2K cough cough*

This guy gets it

This guy gets it
In all seriousness Dr. Phoot no you’re not a scumbag for having desires for flashy cars, watches, etc. you’re a scumbag for not wanting the 1975 Porsche 911 turbo with a manual. SAD!

Reactions: 2 users

Trust me I am all over it.

If I had a second life I'd be a racecar engineer.

In all seriousness Dr. Phoot no you’re not a scumbag for having desires for flashy cars, watches, etc. you’re a scumbag for not wanting the 1975 Porsche 911 turbo with a manual. SAD!

You're saying it as if he would even have a choice. He doesn't. 930 911's only came in manuals. Also, don't get the flat nose. was never a fan. lol

OMG not going into medicine for self sacrificing congratulatory altruism REEEEEEE. So triggered right now.

In REEEEality, most people choose medicine for the money. Imagine how easy to get into MD would be if a doctor only made 65K/year to 80k/year?

All jobs suck, thats why they pay you to be there. Its called work, not happy fun rainbow sunshine time. The question is, can you tolerate the job long enough to make the money you need to:
1) survive
2) have money to pursue your intrests outside of work. Like hiking, traveling, buying nice stuff, etc.

With that in mind, I would be aware of how much debt to income you take on. I use a 1:3 guideline for investments when taking debt into account. Case in point, lets say I want to be a Pharmacist. Average salary in my area is 90-120K. Lets say for argument that I'll average 110K over the lifetime/year. Well, after taxes thats like 85K/year. I would go into debt no more than 255K for a Pharmacy degree. Live off of 30K/year, pay the rest to the debt, be free in 5 years.

What are you doing with your pod school acceptance? You going to cash it in or you still waiting on dental sch?

I'm pretty sure this is like 90% of people. hahah
It's just taboo to talk about it for some reason.

However, I think you're being a little too optimistic on your desires. Can you buy a used Carrera S for like 70k on pod salary......sure.
Can you buy that, AND a rolex, AND a $600 shoe.....no.

Don't even think about buying ANYTHING you mentioned BRAND NEW. You will most likely NOT be able to afford a 120K car at all unless you get a 144-month loan. hahah. Used rolex's or breitlings, etc are doable though even on 100k a year.

Oh. And don't forget you need a roof over your head. And depending on where you live, that mortgage or rent could be HUGE!!!!!!!!!! (SF, LA, NYC,MIA)

Good points. I was thinking years down the road after I've driven my used Volvo into the ground. But what I listed is more for the future as opposed to right out of school. Just that Ive been doing some thinking and my main motivation for all this is the $$$$
And prestige.

Good to see I'm not alone on this though

Good points. I was thinking years down the road after I've driven my used Volvo into the ground. But what I listed is more for the future as opposed to right out of school. Just that Ive been doing some thinking and my main motivation for all this is the $$$$
And prestige.

Good to see I'm not alone on this though

Considered medical device sales? Im signing over from software to a medical sales rep company in June as an associate. After 2 years, with commission people make 150-250 k /annually .
Some companies have a senior sales rep prospect of 600 k.

Considered medical device sales? Im signing over from software to a medical sales rep company in June as an associate. After 2 years, with commission people make 150-250 k /annually .
Some companies have a senior sales rep prospect of 600 k.

Wait, are you not a pre-pod or podiatry student? Did you used to be one and then decide against school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, are you not a pre-pod or podiatry student? Did you used to be one and then decide against school?

I was a podiatry student for a very brief period of time, one semester.
What I found with podiatry is, schools are very happy to advertise the success stories of podiatrists making big bucks (it involves business acumen, luck , and experience/time to be honest) .
Overtime, realized its a pretty poor financial decision for my life style and desires.

I was a podiatry student for a very brief period of time, one semester.
What I found with podiatry is, schools are very happy to advertise the success stories of podiatrists making big bucks (it involves business acumen, luck , and experience/time to be honest) .
Overtime, realized its a pretty poor financial decision for my life style and desires.

So you're saying they were BS'ing you (and us for that matter) when they talk about income? I have the 2017-2018 pod handbook thing. It says the mean is $183K. That sounds reasonable. But obviously they are trying to sell us on the profession so...

You're going to make more in this path than if you had stayed in school?

So you're saying they were BS'ing you (and us for that matter) when they talk about income? I have the 2017-2018 pod handbook thing. It says the mean is $183K. That sounds reasonable. But obviously they are trying to sell us on the profession so...

You're going to make more in this path than if you had stayed in school?

183 sounds reasonable for someone spending a few years in practice. I believe the starting number is usually 3 X your residency earnings which is between 150 k to 180 k for most hospitals.

If I stick with computer engineering, in the bay area or seattle, my income will likely be 150 k after 3-4 years of experience. (Currently at the 100 k level).
If go into medical sales it starts around 80 k and moves up to 150 k on average. The company I am recruiting for is 200k.

Someone posted a fantastic break down of daily earnings in a prod practice and the math of translating it to a yearly income.
Essentially 4 years of opportunity cost of income, 3 years of poor pay through residency, and if you took on debt, leaves a longg period of time before you actually start earning.

183 sounds reasonable for someone spending a few years in practice. I believe the starting number is usually 3 X your residency earnings which is between 150 k to 180 k for most hospitals.

If I stick with computer engineering, in the bay area or seattle, my income will likely be 150 k after 3-4 years of experience. (Currently at the 100 k level).
If go into medical sales it starts around 80 k and moves up to 150 k on average. The company I am recruiting for is 200k.

Someone posted a fantastic break down of daily earnings in a prod practice and the math of translating it to a yearly income.
Essentially 4 years of opportunity cost of income, 3 years of poor pay through residency, and if you took on debt, leaves a longg period of time before you actually start earning.

Ahh I see. So you will essentially make the same as an established pod, maybe more. But sales suck balls. You'll be traveling all the time (not to cool exotic locations lol) and if doctors just don't need any more equipment, you're kind of stuck. It's not like hospitals and practices need to buy some new equipment EVERY year right? Once it's established, it's done?

Ahh I see. So you will essentially make the same as an established pod, maybe more. But sales suck balls. You'll be traveling all the time (not to cool exotic locations lol) and if doctors just don't need any more equipment, you're kind of stuck. It's not like hospitals and practices need to buy some new equipment EVERY year right? Once it's established, it's done?

The answer is yes to traveling and no to equipment.
The company I would work for is into surgical robotics. So after your equipment sale is done you are also spending time in the OR working with the team making sure the procedure is done properly.
Other scenario would be on-going procedures. Lets say a pacemaker made by medtronic. You market your product to a specific hospital territory. You try to kick out the competitor product, and you are in the lab, watching each implantation procedure, making sure everything is functioning.

I am still making a final decision. If I stick to software which is a bit boring, I can move remotely in 5 years, make 100-130 k comfortably, and work from home in my pajamas .

With sales, its high in volatility. One year you may make 200K, another year you may barely crack 60K.

Also, you are easily replaceable. You frequently talk about how easy it is to get into the field. It is also for others. High in competition.

Its also a stressful life. You got to be really good and top on your game every day or the aforementioned replaceability comes into play.

Though, if you ARE good at the job, there is a ton of money to be made in medical device sales. Like a ton. Easily 200K+

The company I would work for is into surgical robotics. So after your equipment sale is done you are also spending time in the OR working with the team making sure the procedure is done properly.
Other scenario would be on-going procedures. Lets say a pacemaker made by medtronic. You market your product to a specific hospital territory. You try to kick out the competitor product, and you are in the lab, watching each implantation procedure, making sure everything is functioning.

I am still making a final decision. If I stick to software which is a bit boring, I can move remotely in 5 years, make 100-130 k comfortably, and work from home in my pajamas .

Yeah but you're not getting paid AFTER the sales' commission comes in right? You just kind of have to be an "instructor" on the product unitl they get the hang of it?
But then again if your base salary is already 150k PLUS commission than yeah, it's sounds like a good gig. Financially speaking atleast

With sales, its high in volatility. One year you may make 200K, another year you may barely crack 60K.

Also, you are easily replaceable. You frequently talk about how easy it is to get into the field. It is also for others. High in competition.

Its also a stressful life. You got to be really good and top on your game every day or the aforementioned replaceability comes into play.

Though, if you ARE good at the job, there is a ton of money to be made in medical device sales. Like a ton. Easily 200K+
Typically in sales if you dont meet a quota youre gone. With the company im going for your quota means you commission will always be 180 k min or youre gone: that being said the product is high in demand without any competition

Typically in sales if you dont meet a quota youre gone. With the company im going for your quota means you commission will always be 180 k min or youre gone: that being said the product is high in demand without any competition

JUST COMMISSION IS 180K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BOOOYYYYY if you don't take this gig I'm gonna slap the **** outta you.

Is it possible to work at one of these companies as a podiatrist (either r&d or even sales) instead of practicing after residency?

Yeah but you're not getting paid AFTER the sales' commission comes in right? You just kind of have to be an "instructor" on the product unitl they get the hang of it?
But then again if your base salary is already 150k PLUS commission than yeah, it's sounds like a good gig. Financially speaking atleast
Its hard to describe the exact way it works. This is not really like car sales. Medical sales works much more comission based yes but the product sales are sort of guaranteed to a certain extent

JUST COMMISSION IS 180K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BOOOYYYYY if you don't take this gig I'm gonna slap the **** outta you.

Is it possible to work at one of these companies as a podiatrist (either r&d or even sales) instead of practicing after residency?
130-180 k commission is common at the company I applied for. But keep in mind the income is only 50-80 k so most of your income is comission (which is sort of guaranteed ) .

honestly,

If you don't mind sharing, what will be your stats like by the time you apply? Are you applying to begin in 2018 or 2019?

Hope it goes well for you.

@DexterMorganSK

Odds are I'll be a re-applicant.

I'm not sure about my #s but:

cGPA: 1.7 (remember nothing is forgiven. I have many retakes; my school takes an average of repeated courses & that was even calculated as a 2.2)

sGPA: 1.5 (long story; repeats, registered and didn't attend, F grades)

gradGPA: currently @ a 3.5, expecting to finish with a 3.8+ (not very hard science intensive)

anticipated MCAT: 497; pulling mid-high 480s on practice (I just want it to be over w/ honestly)

target school(s): Kent, Barry, *NYCPM

I'm applying fall 2018, then hopefully I can ask about why j was rejected, what I can do to improve, and then try again in 2019.

Here's the catch though:
Between now and by the time applications close, I can squeeze in quite a decent amount of upper level hard science classes and actually nail decent grades. I explained some stuff in my p/s too. So if I can just land an interview, I can get in.

I think w/o hesitation I'll jump on a pod school acceptance. Im not too gung go for MD/DO either so it wouldn't be like I settled. Pod for me would be like an arranged marriage where I meet the bride on my wedding day and she's <insert the hottest girl you can think of here>!!

Just made some mistakes as a teen. No cry baby stuff though. I was fully aware of what I was doing and I own up to it.

Or... maybe it just wasn't meant to be?

Last edited:
@DexterMorganSK

cGPA: 1.7 (remember nothing is forgiven. I have many retakes; my school takes an average of repeated courses & that was even calculated as a 2.2)

gradGPA: currently @ a 3.5, expecting to finish with a 3.8+ (not very hard science intensive)

anticipated MCAT: 497; pulling mid-high 480s on practice (I just want it to be over w/ honestly)

I'm applying fall 2018, then hopefully I can ask about why j was rejected, what I can do to improve, and then try again in 2019.

Here's the catch though:
Between now and by the time applications close, I can squeeze in quite a decent amount of upper level hard science classes and actually nail decent grades. I explained some stuff in my p/s too. So if I can just land an interview, I can get in.

I think w/o hesitation I'll jump on a pod school acceptance. Im not too gung go for MD/DO either so it wouldn't be like I settled. Pod for me would be like an arranged marriage where I meet the bride on my wedding day and she's <insert the hottest girl you can think of here>!!

Just made some mistakes as a teen. No cry baby stuff though. I was fully aware of what I was doing and I own up to it.

No judgement here. And I mean this in a friendly way...
But I don't think ANY pod school will even remotely take a chance on you. Even with a 4.0 on your masters and a 500+ MCAT. Having those GPA's mean you didn't graduate or actually get a degree right?

But I don't think ANY pod school will even remotely take a chance on you. Even with a 4.0 on your masters and a 500+ MCAT. Having those GPA's mean you didn't graduate or actually get a degree right?
Nah he got a degree. He had a 2.2 when you consider retakes.

honestly,

Of course money should matter when you’re choosing a career. You wouldn’t want to go through the most mentally taxing schooling on earth to make minimum wage would you?

Should it be the main motivation? Personally, I don’t think so. I have a list of different reasons why I want to go into medicine, and while the money is probably top 5 in that list, it certainly isn’t number 1.

But if driving in Porsche’s is your main motivation, go ham.
I prefer my Mclaren 720s
1A4B3C08-B6E4-4CA2-BAC6-0B1BCDC4CD33.jpeg

Nah, don't worry. I'm not taking things personal.

Negative. I graduated & like I said, there's a story behind it that has been addressed in the p/s. And I'm taking upper level sciences to balance things out. There's really not much I can do realistically. mathematically, I'm screwed & can't change the #s by much, so I'm applying hoping they'll look at my app in its entirety, not just one part.

Fwiw, I did contact a few people and several schools and their response was far more positive than what you said

Nah, don't worry. I'm not taking things personal.

Negative. I graduated & like I said, there's a story behind it that has been addressed in the p/s. And I'm taking upper level sciences to balance things out. There's really not much I can do realistically. mathematically, I'm screwed & can't change the #s by much, so I'm applying hoping they'll look at my app in its entirety, not just one part.

Fwiw, I did contact a few people and several schools and their response was far more positive than what you said
There were a couple people this cycle that had very high masters GPA (3.8+) and 2.7-3.0 ish overall GPA and got denied pre II (and waitlisted post II) to many schools in the chances/cycle thread. If I were you I’d def try to score above a 500 to really show you’ve turned things around because even a decent masters GPA might not save you.

@DexterMorganSK

Here's the catch though:

I think the best route will be to continue to do well in the master's program, along with MCAT studying, with the goal being a score of more than 500.

After you receive the MCAT results (score around 495-500+), apply and see what happens. Chances do not look good at this point but with a high MCAT score, you might receive an II.

IOW, the goal should be not to get an acceptance, but to finish the program, and with your current stats, it seems very difficult to move from term 1 to term 2 in a Pod program.

If you do not receive an II after a good score, then try to apply to one of the BMS programs such as one at Barry. Doing well in these programs, even around a B GPA, will open many doors, including Podiatry.

Good luck!

@DexterMorganSK

Here's the catch though:

what is the science undergraduate GPA for the last 30-40 credits. no matter what is your GPA is in grad school, prerequisites have to be passed with a C or above.

What is your graduate program?

Had a lot of stuff to think about this week. A lot. And made some calls, contacted a few people; still trying to sort everything out. And still thinking things through.

There were a couple people this cycle that had very high masters GPA (3.8+) and 2.7-3.0 ish overall GPA and got denied pre II (and waitlisted post II) to many schools in the chances/cycle thread. If I were you I’d def try to score above a 500 to really show you’ve turned things around because even a decent masters GPA might not save you.

yeah. I'm going to have to up my target score. Even 500 might not be enough for me. 510+

I think the best route will be to continue to do well in the master's program, along with MCAT studying, with the goal being a score of more than 500.

After you receive the MCAT results (score around 495-500+), apply and see what happens. Chances do not look good at this point but with a high MCAT score, you might receive an II.

IOW, the goal should be not to get an acceptance, but to finish the program, and with your current stats, it seems very difficult to move from term 1 to term 2 in a Pod program.

If you do not receive an II after a good score, then try to apply to one of the BMS programs such as one at Barry. Doing well in these programs, even around a B GPA, will open many doors, including Podiatry.

Good luck!

Thanks, Dex! good news is, the BMS program might not even be necessary after all (based on a conversation I had with someone from admissions; will NOT mention the school). you're definitely right that something must change to show I can handle an intense pod curriculum.

what is the science undergraduate GPA for the last 30-40 credits. no matter what is your GPA is in grad school, prerequisites have to be passed with a C or above.

What is your graduate program?

not good. and the grad program pushes towards more of the administrative side of a hospital (don't want to give too much away, sorry). But I won't leave the program, I'll go through with it and still finish!

What's on my mind now is: considering the invest of time and money, is it a good idea to still go podiatry, or should I go "big" and push all the way for D.O. school?

fwiw: I'm (still) going to follow through with the MCAT in May, and send in applications in August (even if it just gets my name out there). for the experience.

@dr.phoot

Have you considered Pharmacy? I know all about the saturation, etc, but there are still jobs out there, even here in NYC. The key is getting early connections, as in, working as a tech from semester 1 of a PharmD program, so that by the time you graduate, there will be a job available for you. Then there is residency here as well to work in a hospital.

I think if your current master's program is towards the administrative side then that can help in the pharm field as well.

It's always good to have a plan B..I know I did and Pharm was my backup in case Pod didn't work out.

Had a lot of stuff to think about this week. A lot. And made some calls, contacted a few people; still trying to sort everything out. And still thinking things through.

yeah. I'm going to have to up my target score. Even 500 might not be enough for me. 510+

Thanks, Dex! good news is, the BMS program might not even be necessary after all (based on a conversation I had with someone from admissions; will NOT mention the school). you're definitely right that something must change to show I can handle an intense pod curriculum.

not good. and the grad program pushes towards more of the administrative side of a hospital (don't want to give too much away, sorry). But I won't leave the program, I'll go through with it and still finish!

What's on my mind now is: considering the invest of time and money, is it a good idea to still go podiatry, or should I go "big" and push all the way for D.O. school?

fwiw: I'm (still) going to follow through with the MCAT in May, and send in applications in August (even if it just gets my name out there). for the experience.
based on your GPA and other info, I think you will have to take or retake your prerequisites with C or above.

Even then, based on your GPA I wouldn't recommend medical school for you. The goal should be not to just get accepted but to succeed in med school.

@dr.phoot

Have you considered Pharmacy? I know all about the saturation, etc, but there are still jobs out there, even here in NYC. The key is getting early connections, as in, working as a tech from semester 1 of a PharmD program, so that by the time you graduate, there will be a job available for you. Then there is residency here as well to work in a hospital.

I think if your current master's program is towards the administrative side then that can help in the pharm field as well.

It's always good to have a plan B..I know I did and Pharm was my backup in case Pod didn't work out.

Yup. Comp Science--in a healthcare IT setting--is my backup. My masters qualifies me for a big industry certification exam, which I'm eligible to sit for during my last semester. And I'm in a position transfer credits and have it applied towards a MS CompSci program. A plan B is the least of my worries. I'm actually looking to get out of NY

based on your GPA and other info, I think you will have to take or retake your prerequisites with C or above.

Even then, based on your GPA I wouldn't recommend medical school for you. The goal should be not to just get accepted but to succeed in med school.

not even close to what was discussed with the rep from the school I spoke with. It's not that doom and gloom as you think. She actually outlined a nice plan for me to follow for a good chance at an acceptance! yes, retakes are involved, but it's not with the pre-reqs

I wouldn't recommend med school for me either, until I deal with the reason why my grades got like that in the first place.

Wait....Your grad program is NOT even in a hard science subject???
Dude you have to retake everything below a C again then. I thought you were doing like a chem or bio masters.

but it's not with the pre-reqs
if you never took required prereqs or took them with a grade below C, you will have to take required prereqs. I don't see any other way around that.

I have 7 credits of Organic chemistry and 3 of Biochem and one school said that I will have to take another semester of Org. Chem. to meet 8 credits of O. Chem. requirement. We communicated back and forth for a while, but they said no exceptions and even my Biochem would not help.

So, I don't really see any other way around the required prereqs.

Wait....Your grad program is NOT even in a hard science subject???
Dude you have to retake everything below a C again then. I thought you were doing like a chem or bio masters.

Surely you must have not read the whole thread

if you never took required prereqs or took them with a grade below C, you will have to take required prereqs. I don't see any other way around that.

I have 7 credits of Organic chemistry and 3 of Biochem and one school said that I will have to take another semester of Org. Chem. to meet 8 credits of O. Chem. requirement. We communicated back and forth for a while, but they said no exceptions and even my Biochem would not help.

So, I don't really see any other way around the required prereqs.

I think we're talking about different things here. Repeating pre-reqs isn't a problem. Either I didn't take it, or th C or better policy isn't an issue for me. Maybe it's. I'm writing all over the place. Sorry.

Rep? So, not a person on the adcom?

you have to speak to an adcom member for an accurate information.

I'm trying very hard not to give too much away because you never know who reads. But rest assured the person I spoke to isn't jusy any hey you. There's quite some weight behind his/her title and their responses showed he/she clearly knows his/her stuff.

So I'm not worried one bit.

I think we're talking about different things here. Repeating pre-reqs isn't a problem. Either I didn't take it, or th C or better policy isn't an issue for me. Maybe it's. I'm writing all over the place. Sorry.

I'm trying very hard not to give too much away because you never know who reads. But rest assured the person I spoke to isn't jusy any hey you. There's quite some weight behind his/her title and their responses showed he/she clearly knows his/her stuff.

So I'm not worried one bit.

The adcom comment was the biggest piece of troll Ive heard in a long time.
I interviewed and re interviewed and in all schools the "adcoms" were a combination of a junior dean, some professors, and thats about it.
People who give you information (if they are from the represented school) are all just as valid. You should be fine if they say you will be fine
I had a D in my second semester of bio, never retook. My excuse was pretty @$$ too, I said I had pain from a dental issue so I couldn't focus, LOL

The adcom comment was the biggest piece of troll Ive heard in a long time.
I interviewed and re interviewed and in all schools the "adcoms" were a combination of a junior dean, some professors, and thats about it.
People who give you information (if they are from the represented school) are all just as valid. You should be fine if they say you will be fine
I had a D in my second semester of bio, never retook. My excuse was pretty @$$ too, I said I had pain from a dental issue so I couldn't focus, LOL

How are these schools just allowing exceptions to THEIR OWN pre-req rules that THEY chose to implement. lol
Every grad school program says "nothing below C's allowed" and here we are with it being okay. I wouldn't have tried so hard if I knew all of this in undergrad. hahah. I could've slept in.

How are these schools just allowing exceptions to THEIR OWN pre-req rules that THEY chose to implement. lol
Every grad school program says "nothing below C's allowed" and here we are with it being okay. I wouldn't have tried so hard if I knew all of this in undergrad. hahah. I could've slept in.
Limited demand
Im not trying to put the profession down as much as talk about the prospects but when you really dig deep into the truth about podiatry, investments [ both financial and time] , respect in the hospital, career opportunities you really start asking yourself is it worth it?
Podiatry school classes are really just as difficult as medical school classes but youre getting the short end of the stick when you graduate.
Additionally the average premed matriculates into an MD or DO school.
Hopefully that sheds some light on why they need to lower their standards much lower.
If you go to CSPM or some other schools they claim to "under admit"

I think you guys are misunderstanding eachother. They aren’t giving out breaks to anyone. You can’t apply to any schools without less than a C in pre req classes not all science classes. Limited demand or not they aren’t tripping over 1 student. There are no exceptions to the rule. There are people that were denied in a better situation than this such as very high masters GPAs.

The respect this and that is tossed so much and out of 6 different setting and hundreds of doctors I have failed to see any proof of this. I have seen more hate towards some MDs for their attitudes than any podiatrist that does a good job. It’s so over exaggerated on SDN it’s posts like this that scare people from the profession. There’s no “truths” like it’s some mystical creature. Go shadow podiatrist, while you’re look at the things they can afford. I’m not getting onto you but I’m posting this for future reference when future prospects look at this.
Limited demand
Im not trying to put the profession down as much as talk about the prospects but when you really dig deep into the truth about podiatry, investments [ both financial and time] , respect in the hospital, career opportunities you really start asking yourself is it worth it?
Podiatry school classes are really just as difficult as medical school classes but youre getting the short end of the stick when you graduate.
Additionally the average premed matriculates into an MD or DO school.
Hopefully that sheds some light on why they need to lower their standards much lower.
If you go to CSPM or some other schools they claim to "under admit"

Last edited:
I had a D in my second semester of bio, never retook.
so?

you can have 25 D's. all you need is 2 Bio classes with C or above. Requirement is not that you pass all your science or bio classes but meet at least minimum. Most likely you had other bio classes that made you qualify.

If you can meet your personal goals by taking great care of patients and their feet then more power to ya. I doubt that toenail clipping is really and truly anyone’s lifelong dream and passion but someone’s gotta do it and why not you. My diabetic patients and I will thank you. Do they make you tell a story of foot care related deep internal passion for the app? I guess you could come up with one.

If you can meet your personal goals by taking great care of patients and their feet then more power to ya. I doubt that toenail clipping is really and truly anyone’s lifelong dream and passion but someone’s gotta do it and why not you. My diabetic patients and I will thank you. Do they make you tell a story of foot care related deep internal passion for the app? I guess you could come up with one.
I also questioned the OP for only wanting to clip toenails and not do some cool surgical stuff but hey... I know a few people who would trim the hell out of toenails with no complaints for 200k a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.