Time to come clean: I just want to make $$$..!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fresh nurse out of college can expect to get paid $30/hr.

30 comes out to be around 60k a year, fresh grad in cali is around 85k a year.
That being said healthcare is still its on unique field. I havent seen cali physicians, PA's, etc make that much more than other states.
My girlfriend is a surgical tech whos wage was 15/hr in the midwest, its 18 in the bay area.

Tech salaries and others are probably much different though.
Cops, firemen, librarians, teachers, can all expect incomes greater than 6 figures.
10 years in engineering can expect 200k or more, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

How bad is cost of living in the Bay Area?

I’ve heard that a 500k house doesn’t get you much, when in the Midwest and south 500k is a little mansion.

30 comes out to be around 60k a year, fresh grad in cali is around 85k a year.
That being said healthcare is still its on unique field. I havent seen cali physicians, PA's, etc make that much more than other states.
My girlfriend is a surgical tech whos wage was 15/hr in the midwest, its 18 in the bay area.

Tech salaries and others are probably much different though.
Cops, firemen, librarians, teachers, can all expect incomes greater than 6 figures.
10 years in engineering can expect 200k or more, etc.

I’ve heard that a 500k house doesn’t get you much, when in the Midwest and south 500k is a little mansion.
Bay area has become terrible in the past 4 years literally. 500 k used to buy a townhome in a decent part of the suburbs up until 2013. 30 min away in the country side it would get you a huge house. Now its about triple the cost (1.5 milion for a townhome).

But at the same time salaries have jumped. From 2008-2012 my father and his friends all made about 150 k as engineers , they all make between 600-1.8 millilon/year now (most are high up)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Really REALLY BAD!!!!!!

Alot of of the staff for big tech companies (there's thousands of them) make WAYYYY above 150-300K per year. And they all want to live in SF or San Jose areas. They can afford it obviously. So the landlords act accordingly to increase their profit. Bay area, Vancouver, and NYC are CRAZY!!!!!!. LA is upper medium CRAZY! hahahah

Really REALLY BAD!!!!!!

Alot of of the staff for big tech companies (there's thousands of them) make WAYYYY above 150-300K per year. And they all want to live in SF or San Jose areas. They can afford it obviously. So the landlords act accordingly to increase their profit. Bay area, Vancouver, and NYC are CRAZY!!!!!!. LA is upper medium CRAZY! hahahah

Yeah basically this guy reiterated. Right now San jose is more expensive than nyc. When I was considering nycpm I could find apartments right near school within the 2000 range and quite fancy. My taxi driver lived an hour away and had 2 bedrooms for 1900 in queens. Thats currently unheard of in the bay area but keep in mind the salary

Other reasons people desire the bay area is the multitude of things to do without having to fly anywhere. House size does not matter because during your free time the weather is great all year around and you can enjoy literally what ever it is that you want to do. Beaches, massive hiking trails, multiple theme parks, lakes, zoos, etc. Its just endless

Last edited:
Other reasons people desire the bay area is the multitude of things to do without having to fly anywhere. House size does not matter because during your free time the weather is great all year around and you can enjoy literally what ever it is that you want to do. Beaches, massive hiking trails, multiple theme parks, lakes, zoos, etc. Its just endless

I would say all of this is more LA than the Bay. For the bay, it's more about lack of space and a multitude of rich people due to the tech industry. Not as much about lifestyle when compared to LA

I didn't understand why people liked the Bay Area til I moved here for school and experienced this first hand.

Drive 10 minutes out and you're looking at ocean, mountains, hiking trails, cool places to just go and walk around and check out.

Hard to believe how varied the US is coming here from Texas. Will miss it.

Reactions: 1 users
I would say all of this is more LA than the Bay. For the bay, it's more about lack of space and a multitude of rich people due to the tech industry. Not as much about lifestyle when compared to LA

Not really. You still have smaller amusement parks, the hiking trails , plenty of lakes (Im thinking Shashta and Tahoe 4 hours away), Santa Cruz Boardwalk and Monterey beaches (some of the most beautiful american beaches), San Francisco Museums and tourist attractions (boats and restaurants etc).
Traffic isnt as bad as LA either
But at the same time you can encompass LA as a destination for weekend excursions. Leave Friday evening, be there betwen 5-8 hours (midnight) and spend a day or two in LA.

Funny how far this discussion has gotten in podiatry forums but basically people pay for the access to resources near by and the life style.
When I was in the midwest, coming from money I had plenty to spend but nothing to really spend it on.

Came across this today:

balling.jpg

get rich, or die tryin!

Almost cried. I should have been more serious during undergrad!!! smh:bang::bang:

some of you just won't understand, but it's alright. to each his own. If I stick with the medicine route, I sure as hell I'm not doing podiatry anymore! & at least as a path you can't tell me I'm not looking out for the well-being of a patients. I'm in a lab all day, not coming into direct contact with patients.

Thing is, can you get into a MD/DO school?

Came across this today:

balling.jpg

Almost cried. I should have been more serious during undergrad!!! smh

some of you just won't understand, but it's alright. to each his own. If I stick with the medicine route, I sure as hell I'm not doing podiatry anymore! & at least as a path you can't tell me I'm not looking out for the well-being of a patients. I'm in a lab all day, not coming into direct contact with patients.

Thing is, can you get into a MD/DO school?

yeah, will need another year or two though. I've been looking into 2 year PhD programs all day. might as well get a PhD in informatics so I can add it on to the pathology and do path informatics. path cats making bank, baby! no need to worry about patients either.
it doesn't make sense to me to go into 1 year or more of GPA repair just to go clip toe nails for 120k. I'm already in debt as it is, so need to stack paper

Do you need a high GPA for PhD? You've said a couple times that your GPA isnt the best.

yeah, will need another year or two though. I've been looking into 2 year PhD programs all day. might as well get a PhD in informatics so I can add it on to the pathology and do path informatics. path cats making bank, baby! no need to worry about patients either.
it doesn't make sense to me to go into 1 year or more of GPA repair just to go clip toe nails for 120k. I'm already in debt as it is, so need to stack paper

Do you need a high GPA for PhD? You've said a couple times that your GPA isnt the best.
in currently doing a masters pulling a 3.5 so hopefully i can keep it or even raise it higher. the masters will help me get into a PhD program. then mcat, then apply. i'll be a little old when I matriculate but i'll definitely be making bank before 40!!

Members don't see this ad :)
if your undergrad GPA is below 3.0, no MD or even DO school will care what GPA you had in PhD.

Last edited:
in currently doing a masters pulling a 3.5 so hopefully i can keep it or even raise it higher. the masters will help me get into a PhD program. then mcat, then apply. i'll be a little old when I matriculate but i'll definitely be making bank before 40!!

hey i don't want to bust your bubble but if you are trying to specialize in a DO program you better be the top of your class of 2-300 people. Majority of people match FM or IM and now that the match process is merged you will prob have a harder time. Imagine going through all that trouble of going to DO school, not matching a residency you wanted and then getting paid 120k as an internist your first year lol the higher tuition in DO school + higher malpractice insurance + residency match concerns....Im not sure that route is worth the risk

I'm a pretty high stat applicant and i'm admitted into a handful of DO programs and 1 md/phd; however since I like the comfort of taking a path of certainty I chose podiatry. Lower initial cost of tuition = lower amount of loans. Keep in mind MD/PhD or DO/PhD programs are really small, more competitive in nature, and the 7 year program does not include residency. Most are structured for you to do your M1&M2 before you do you PhD. When you complete it after 3-4 years you can resume medical school. Anyways, good luck with whatever route you take, I'm sure if you are determined and have high self efficacy then maybe you could beat the odds.

might as well get a PhD in informatics

I do not see how PhD in informatics will help you get into medical school with low undergrad GPA. your masters and PhD will be in non-science subjects and they won't help you.

If you are still thinking about MD/DO then do SMP and get awesome MCAT, otherwise I do not think you have any chances.

if your GPA is below 3.0, no MD or even DO school will care what GPA you had in PhD.

if that was the case then anyone who screws around in undergrad has written a death sentence of ever getting into med school. that's not true. quit being so negative, man. I screwed up as a young kid back in undergrad. that was years gone. I'm working on things now. i'll have better stats when I apply. I know, my old red flags are still there. there's nothing I Can do about those anymore. I'm doing fine in grad school. just need to start taking the heavy sciences and then mcat, etc and i'll be straight.

hey i don't want to bust your bubble but if you are trying to specialize in a DO program you better be the top of your class of 2-300 people. Majority of people match FM or IM and now that the match process is merged you will prob have a harder time. Imagine going through all that trouble of going to DO school, not matching a residency you wanted and then getting paid 120k as an internist your first year lol the higher tuition in DO school + higher malpractice insurance + residency match concerns....Im not sure that route is worth the risk

I'm a pretty high stat applicant and i'm admitted into a handful of DO programs and 1 md/phd; however since I like the comfort of taking a path of certainty I chose podiatry. Lower initial cost of tuition = lower amount of loans. Keep in mind MD/PhD or DO/PhD programs are really small, more competitive in nature, and the 7 year program does not include residency. Most are structured for you to do your M1&M2 before you do you PhD. When you complete it after 3-4 years you can resume medical school. Anyways, good luck with whatever route you take, I'm sure if you are determined and have high self efficacy then maybe you could beat the odds.
if you have good stats, chances are that you could get into a desired specialty. Why not taking the MD/PhD acceptance? I thought those are financially covered.

primary care makes more than 120K, more like 220K.

If it were me, I would have gone the MD/PhD route over anything else, especially if they pay for your education.

thanks. YEah, the path of security is actually medicine for me. the kind of job security, salary, prestige medicine offers isn't offered anywhere else in any alternative career. it's more of a guarantee / safe bet to go into medicine. I'll just have to take my chances at DO vs. trying to climb up the corporate ladder in hopes of sniffing 6figures

if that was the case then anyone who screws around in undergrad has written a death sentence of ever getting into med school. that's not true. quit being so negative, man. I screwed up as a young kid back in undergrad. that was years gone. I'm working on things now. i'll have better stats when I apply. I know, my old red flags are still there. there's nothing I Can do about those anymore. I'm doing fine in grad school. just need to start taking the heavy sciences and then mcat, etc and i'll be straight.
not trying to be negative, just realistic.

I am not saying it is not possible, but people with bad undergrad stats either complete a post-Bacc or do 1-2 year SMP to bring their GPA up and show that they are different now. Anyone will tell you that non-science Masters or PhD degree won't do the trick at all.

Everything is doable, but there is the right way.

if you have good stats, chances are that you could get into a desired specialty. Why not taking the MD/PhD acceptance? I thought those are financially covered.

They are financially covered and theres a stipend included; however since I want to be a practicing physician I still need to go through residency. A 5 year residency in my desired specialty + 2 year fellowship on top of the 7 years is going be put me in my early 40s. I would love to pursue my passion, but it just doesn't seem as appealing especially for the mrs.

I am not saying it is not possible, but people with bad undergrad stats either complete a post-Bacc or do 1-2 year SMP to bring their GPA up and show that they are different now. Anyone will tell you that non-science Masters or PhD degree won't do the trick at all.

yh, I know. my situation's a little unique though

They are financially covered and theres a stipend included; however since I want to be a practicing physician I still need to go through residency. A 5 year residency in my desired specialty + 2 year fellowship on top of the 7 years is going be put me in my early 40s. I would love to pursue my passion, but it just doesn't seem as appealing especially for the mrs.
what about DO acceptances? most pod here would like to have your DO acceptance.

There are other possible specialties besides FM and IM. There is neurology, general surgery, EM, Peds, Psych, Anesthesiology, and even ENT.

Honestly, by just looking at the past data from AAMC the acceptance % for dr.phoot's stats is 0. Even if you explain away your GPA and showed the adcoms that you've matured and doing well in grad school, your MCAT still reflects your basic science knowledge.

I agree with you Pasha, its not the PhD or Masters thats going to save you especially if it doesn't even translate well to the adcoms.

Honestly, by just looking at the past data from AAMC the acceptance % for dr.phoot's stats is 0. Even if you explain away your GPA and showed the adcoms that you've matured and doing well in grad school, your MCAT still reflects your basic science knowledge.

I agree with you Pasha, its not the PhD or Masters thats going to save you especially if it doesn't even translate well to the adcoms.
someone will accept me. im sure

what about DO acceptances? most pod here would like to have your DO acceptance.

There are other possible specialties besides FM and IM. There is neurology, general surgery, EM, Peds, Psych, Anesthesiology, and even ENT.

the DO route is too competitive. From the specialties you mentioned EM is the only one that appeals to me (lifestyle etc reasons) and the field of EM is highly competitive for a DO. Many of the top residencies are MD programs and for a DO to match you would have to not only take the comlex but usmle as well. I work at a top 10 nationally ranked hospital and I spoke to the first DO EM resident in 6 years. In EM it really matters where you are trained. Of course I'm not saying its impossible to succeed in osteopathic school, but its a risk I much rather not take especially since we're planning on having kids soon. Pod appealed to me because there is no risk in residency placement. I honestly don't see the field to be consumed to by orthopedists at all. 200K in debt, at 200k pod salary is a lot more manageable than 400k at 220k IM salary especially if malpractice insurance is higher in other specialties. It seems like the quality of life is better as well.

primary care makes more than 120K, more like 220K.

If it were me, I would have gone the MD/PhD route over anything else, especially if they pay for your education.

Yeah primary care makes closer to 200k but 120k is generally first year salary in larger cities due to the competitiveness.

the DO route is too competitive. From the specialties you mentioned EM is the only one that appeals to me (lifestyle etc reasons) and the field of EM is highly competitive for a DO. Many of the top residencies are MD programs and for a DO to match you would have to not only take the comlex but usmle as well. I work at a top 10 nationally ranked hospital and I spoke to the first DO EM resident in 6 years. In EM it really matters where you are trained. Of course I'm not saying its impossible to succeed in osteopathic school, but its a risk I much rather not take especially since we're planning on having kids soon. Pod appealed to me because there is no risk in residency placement. I honestly don't see the field to be consumed to by orthopedists at all. 200K in debt, at 200k pod salary is a lot more manageable than 400k at 220k IM salary especially if malpractice insurance is higher in other specialties. It seems like the quality of life is better as well.

Yeah primary care makes closer to 200k but 120k is generally first year salary in larger cities due to the competitiveness.
The reasons you stated resemble mine for going with podiatry. I also fear of ending up only with FM or IM after I get done with DO school. If everything will go with my plans, I might only need about 40K of loans per year at podiatry school.

No they won’t. You still have commitment issues. You keep saying the bad grades are long gone but you just barely took the mcat and didn’t even try/study/commit to it. You wrote a whole post about it. You seem to have a lot of red flags, not just on your transcript but also personally with commitment. Now I understand why; it’s all about money

Reactions: 9 users

No they won't. You're undergrad grades will no longer be forgiven even if you re-take them ALL. So you could literally re-do college, get an A+ in every class, and your GPA would still average out too low for MD, and now DO since they don't do grade forgiveness.

Dude, stop wasting money and time on trying to be a physician. It's not worth the interest that I am sure you are accruing on your existing loans. And your plan is to ADD more school (loans) on top of that in a masters or post-bacc and then ADD med school on top of that? Dude are you crazy? NOT worth it. You want money, but you'll be net negative for until you're like 60. Do you have friends in finance who can help you out and show you the real #'s so you can see for yourself?

Truth be told, unless you manage to get into an SMP and aceing that, or you do Texas Fresh Star in ten years, I don’t see a medical school of any kind ever accepting you

Truth be told, unless you manage to get into an SMP and aceing that, or you do Texas Fresh Star in ten years, I don’t see a medical school of any kind ever accepting you
Prob not but some DOs schools have pretty easy routes. The one in my state just paired up with a local unit that grants guaranteed acceptance worth a 3.4+ in their masters program and a 495 Mcat.

Prob not but some DOs schools have pretty easy routes. The one in my state just paired up with a local unit that grants guaranteed acceptance worth a 3.4+ in their masters program and a 495 Mcat.
Yes. But it has to be their heavy-science master program. It's not so easy to get 3.4 in those programs.

Yes. But it has to be their heavy-science master program. It's not so easy to get 3.4 in those programs.

Agreed.

To add, the majority of the students in such programs have already met the MCAT requirement and thus solely focus on obtaining that GPA. Also, an acceptance in one these programs require at least a 3.0 GPAs for both sciences and cumulative, +/- MCAT.

@dr.phoot

Imo, you should continue to finish your current program and work. Once you finish the master's program, and if at that point you still want to apply to medical school, then you would have to enroll in an SMP or a DIY post-bacc program, like how the others are suggesting here. MCAT afterward.

Irrespective of your reasons to enroll in a medical school, you should know that in order to get that acceptance, there is no shortcut and the goal is more attainable when we are being "real" with ourselves. But for now, I would let go the medicine idea and focus on work and the master's program.

Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
I know more than a few people with sub 3.0 undergrad who were able to get 3.7 plus and get in. Yea it’s hard classes but you’re also taking only 3-4 classes a semester. Plus it’s an easy motive when something is guarenteed

Last edited:
If your goal is money, you can get to 150-180k or even more with your Master's in Healthcare Administration or whatever it is. When I graduated with BS in Healthcare Administration I was looking for jobs and one position I was interviewed for had salary of 108K. It was Project Specialist with a healthcare company. Many positions in healthcare start around 60-80k anyways. And depending upon your qualities and work ethic you can climb the ladder.

I know it is not the easiest route, but at least you wont have to be in school for another 7-10 years and get yourself in more dept. You could use your degree.

When I got BS in HA, I was considering MHA or MBA. I even applied to MHA. It is a good field. But I knew that will still want to be a direct healthcare provider later on.

Reactions: 2 users
I know more than a few people with sub 3.0 undergrad who were able to get 3.7 plus and get in. Yea it’s hard classes but you’re also taking only 3-4 classes a semester. Plus it’s an easy motive when something is guarenteed

It's guaranteed interview or guaranteed admission? I thought guaranteed admission days were over. There's a lot of bridge programs that boasts stats with high success rate in gaining admission to medical schools but they are also highly selective on who they take into their bridged SMP program. If you know the name of the program that accepts low applicants you should share it with OP to help him out.

It's guaranteed interview or guaranteed admission? I thought guaranteed admission days were over. There's a lot of bridge programs that boasts stats with high success rate in gaining admission to medical schools but they are also highly selective on who they take into their bridged SMP program. If you know the name of the program that accepts low applicants you should share it with OP to help him out.
Guarenteed interview but basically don’t be a complete ***** and you’ll get a seat. Out of the 5 or so people who I know who’ve gotten guarenteed interviews they’ve all gotten aceepted. I live in a pretty rural/boring state where they don’t really get a lot of high stat applicants. This may also only be for residents of this state since both the DO and MD here have huge instate preference. I don’t know all the details.

Point being I feel like with anything if there is a will there’s a way. May not be the smartest finically or timely choice for OP but if you want it there are some ways.

Biomedical Sciences Degree | Master of Arts | Christian Colleges VA

Is it 1-year or 2-year program and how expensive it is?

If you're looking for money, just go be a plumber. No need for 7 years of school, stressful tests to get in, or boatloads of loans. Start as an apprentice and just work hard. My dad has spent his life in all types of construction fields and can build a house from the foundation to the roof himself. If he could go back and do anything again he would be a plumber. He knows some that have worked up to Mastership titles and make $300k a year. They make this money not because plumber sounds prestigious, but because an experienced one is extremely valuable to most people/companies in life.

Point is, you don't have to do medicine. Not all plumbers make that money, but it's doable.

If you're looking for money, just go be a plumber. No need for 7 years of school, stressful tests to get in, or boatloads of loans. Start as an apprentice and just work hard. My dad has spent his life in all types of construction fields and can build a house from the foundation to the roof himself. If he could go back and do anything again he would be a plumber. He knows some that have worked up to Mastership titles and make $300k a year. They make this money not because plumber sounds prestigious, but because an experienced one is extremely valuable to most people/companies in life.

Point is, you don't have to do medicine. Not all plumbers make that money, but it's doable.
There are number of good trades.

When I was buying a house, the independent inspector charged $500 for 4 hours. That is a minimum charge. They can do couple houses per day. Large houses and commercial buildings cost more than a 1000 to inspect. No dirty work involved. Inspecting, taking pictures and proving a report.

Is that the only one left?

No, I am sure there are other similar programs for both MD and DO schools.

I knew that particular one because I was accepted in it last year. Even the programs that guarantee an interview, like LECOM, it is a done deal, as long as you meet their requirements and be professional while in the program.

What made you not to go that route?

I had few reasons. The main reason was that last year that program only offered a private loan to pay for tuition and I wasn't looking to take 30K+ in private loans (from this year its federal). Then there was the risk of not making it into their DO school, as in, I did not doubt myself, but what if I get sick or something, mess up a final exam, and there go the money and my one year.

And while this was all happening, I had few Pod acceptances, and I liked what Podiatry had to offer (from shadowing experiences both in clinics and hospitals, talking to current pod students, and open-houses) and went with it. And, I'd choose Pod again if I have to, so no loss here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
There are number of good trades.

When I was buying a house, the independent inspector charged $500 for 4 hours. That is a minimum charge. They can do couple houses per day. Large houses and commercial buildings cost more than a 1000 to inspect. No dirty work involved. Inspecting, taking pictures and proving a report.
My friend worked for a painter last year that runs his own small business. It's amazing what some people are willing to pay to get interior or exterior of houses painted. He makes 6 figures a year easy and has lead abatement cert. which helps (so does his random PhD).
We had an estimate done on our ceiling for the kitchen and foyer last summer, they said 2400 (wtf?!?!). We painted it ourselves, but people pay that.

Trade is good if you don't mind weather, busting your butt physically, and possibly a bad back or shoulder by your 50s.

Agreed.

@dr.phoot

Imo, you should continue to finish your current program and work. Once you finish the master's program, and if at that point you still want to apply to medical school, then you would have to enroll in an SMP or a DIY post-bacc program, like how the others are suggesting here. MCAT afterward.

Irrespective of your reasons to enroll in a medical school, you should know that in order to get that acceptance, there is no shortcut and the goal is more attainable when we are being "real" with ourselves. But for now, I would let go the medicine idea and focus on work and the master's program.

Good luck!
Thanks, @DexterMorganSK I do plan to finish, work within the field, then do whatever I must do to get a shot at acceptance. I'm not getting any younger though. maybe going away and coming back, may not be such a bad idea. this could just be a bad time to pursue medicine.

If your goal is money, you can get to 150-180k or even more with your Master's in Healthcare Administration or whatever it is. When I graduated with BS in Healthcare Administration I was looking for jobs and one position I was interviewed for had salary of 108K. It was Project Specialist with a healthcare company. Many positions in healthcare start around 60-80k anyways. And depending upon your qualities and work ethic you can climb the ladder.

I know it is not the easiest route, but at least you wont have to be in school for another 7-10 years and get yourself in more dept. You could use your degree.

When I got BS in HA, I was considering MHA or MBA. I even applied to MHA. It is a good field. But I knew that will still want to be a direct healthcare provider later on.

I wouldn't mind working in an admin capacity in a hospital. I sort of do that now. 150k - 180k doesn't look as good as 220 - 330k, so.... just going to pass vs. settle. And for the record, it's probably much easier to get into med school and make GUARANTEED big bucks vs. a minority trying to climb the corporate ladder in a hospital!

hold it right there..... :
(1) I did mention, it's not just about the money but the nature of the work is important to me too. I am not about that blue collar life. I'm well aware of how much money some of these cats make. I work around a group of city employers here in NYC and they laugh at me having a degree and just making a punch above min. wage while they can easily climb into 6 figures, with overtime, no degree. I have friends inviting me all the time to take the civil service test and get into jobs like sanitation, post office, etc. sorry, but I'm not about that blue-collar life. just not my cup of tea.

(2) plumbers don't go to work dressed like this:

elegant-striped-men-outfits-for-work-8.jpg

so............. not interested!

Status
Not open for further replies.