Time to give up on PCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dctrgreen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious to see how many people are still waiting to hear something from PCOM...i have been complete for several months and have yet to hear anything back. i have called and of course get the dreaded canned answer "your application is complete and under review..."

should i just move on and accept the fact that this is not gonna happen? do they finally break down and send out rejection letters or are we just supposed to assume since we haven't heard from them that it is not a good sign.

PCOM is my top choice, but i am looking at having to drop some serious $$$$ for deposits elsewhere. oh the agony of waiting....

Members don't see this ad.

I've been waiting for months as well.....

...i basically have moved on, if I ever hear good news and an interview invite from them I guess it'll be a pleasant surprise!

I haven't heard anything from either location either and have been complete for months. I've basically given up on them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a first year at PCOM. They usually interview until April, although I don't know how many of those people end up on the wait list.

just got my invite today. have been complete since november. i interviewed in march last year and got wait-listed, btw.

Finally---I got an interview its on Wed 28 March---- but I am kind of torn b/c ive already sent in $1000 to CCOM-Midwestern.(where i was accepted in October after a Sept Interview)

I've been complete since Sept 2006

Anyone know when they typically interview until. I think into April?

last year, they only interviewd through march. i know because i was there on the last day. i am glad to interview, but nervous that it might be for waitlist.

just got my invite today. have been complete since november. i interviewed in march last year and got wait-listed, btw.

well, best of luck to you in your interview. go kick @$% and get in this time around. i think your persistence will serve you well.

Finally---I got an interview its on Wed 28 March---- but I am kind of torn b/c ive already sent in $1000 to CCOM-Midwestern.(where i was accepted in October after a Sept Interview)

I've been complete since Sept 2006

Anyone know when they typically interview until. I think into April?

congratulations on your acceptance at CCOM. i think that that is a top notch school with a lot of great clinical opportunities. plus you are very near an awesome city. best of luck to you either way. you are going to get a great education.

anybody know about their usage of the waitlist? i.e. do a lot of people come off of it. etc.

i just dont want to be in the position of already having settled down elsewhere and then get the call. even though this is my top choice, not sure if i would be able to just pick up and move to philly on a moments notice after securing housing elsewhere.

best of luck to everyone.

I've had the same problem. This summer they told me I didn't get an interview because I completed my secondary too late. So this year I turned it in around September, and still haven't heard anything. Only "your application is complete"... they don't give any personal insight at all, and I was really interested in this school. Kinda think its getting a little late at this point.

From the schools I sent secondaries to, PCOM being one of them, I have yet to hear from them.

I don't understand what takes so long. If I send in the money to process a secondary application I want to at least hear something back in a timely manner.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the last batch of interviews are sent out. So yes it is time to say goodbye to PCOM. :(

Oh well. I got the interviews I wanted.

Still, I would have liked to have heard from them.

I believe the last batch of interviews are sent out. So yes it is time to say goodbye to PCOM. :(

how do you know this? did you hear something to confirm these suspicions? it would at least have been nice to get the rejection notice to show that they even acknowledged the fact that you gave them money to review your application.

Well...not officially...but several people have got interview invitation for the last day of March (according to some of the posts). So I'm guessing that's pretty much it.

i applied early to all med schools, and even then i think they took a couple of months to give me an interview. maybe they're really thorough about their review cause during my interview, they had a good knowledge of my application.

in any case, it's not the worst. after SEVEN/EIGHT MONTHS, OSUCOM invited me for an interview. just got the call the other day. definitely sent my secondary in like june or july or something.

Well...not officially...but several people have got interview invitation for the last day of March (according to some of the posts). So I'm guessing that's pretty much it.

that is so depressing to hear...

I'd say if you don't hear within the next two weeks, you should probably start thinking about reapplication or thank whatever-you-think-is-holy that you got in somewhere.

PCOM has me on the edge of my seat, too. I feel your pain.

i dont want to believe that they've sent out all their interviews, especially since ive heard they interview into april. i'd say don't give up hope yet, you guys. Lets just wait for february to be over to reach that conclusion:confused:

i dont want to believe that they've sent out all their interviews, especially since ive heard they interview into april. i'd say don't give up hope yet, you guys. Lets just wait for february to be over to reach that conclusion:confused:

When I called in December they told me they were mailing out rejection letters in March, so...

I'm a PCOM Ambassador (the students that give tours and such) and I was told that they won't be interviewing in April. (Unless PCOM closes for some odd reason and they have to extend the interview dates):confused:

I sent in my secondary at the end of September, and despite several phone calls and letters reaffirming interest, I have only heard, like others, the "your application is complete and under-review."

My frustration, aside from the lack of progressive responses, is that while we are applying for admissions to a particular medical program, as long as we are submitting application fees, we are also customers of the program and the admissions department. The service we pay for is a timely, fair, and appropriate review and consideration of our application.

Some might say, "The fee is no comparison to the actual tuition costs," but realistically when submitting an application fee, we are paying for a service. Whether a rejection, acceptance, or an interview, it is appropriate that we are notified according to the time our checks are cashed/deposited of status or timelines.

Some programs, are very good at this while others, as many of us have noticed, are just poor. I understand that some programs receive an extraordinary number of applications, but for anyone to have to wait from July, August, or in my case September, is incredible.

Now, I'm not expecting to receive any reimbursements for my application fee, nor will I ask. I will, however, write letters expressing my concern and frustration.

Just letting off some steam. Maybe some of you feel similarly?

I understand everyone's frustration with the late responses from different schools (I just got a rejection from a school that I was complete at in September), but in this case, there isn't much they can say other than "we are reviewing your application." If you are complete early, say August, and they interview through the end of March, you may be one of those people who they do not grant an interview to until March. Also, by not rejecting you early, they leave open the possibility of interviewing you up until the end. I am sure that as soon as they decide on their last batch of people they want to interview...everyone else will get a letter. The only honest update they could give you is the "you are complete and are being reviewed" until after the last interviews.

Hey Guys,

Don't give up hope yet. I just received an invitation to interview at PCOM March 14th!!!!!!!!

Good Luck everyone!:luck:

My frustration, aside from the lack of progressive responses, is that while we are applying for admissions to a particular medical program, as long as we are submitting application fees, we are also customers of the program and the admissions department. The service we pay for is a timely, fair, and appropriate review and consideration of our application.

Just letting off some steam. Maybe some of you feel similarly?

It depends. In some cases the app fees (college, med school, even some jobs) are more of a filter than anything else...especially in instances where all app fee funds generate a negligble portion of the school's budget. If applications were free, students would be more likely to apply everywhere. Application fees help prevent students from applying places "just because".

Hey Guys,

Don't give up hope yet. I just received an invitation to interview at PCOM March 14th!!!!!!!!

Good Luck everyone!:luck:

Hey, I got the same e-mail too! Though, I am afraid that most of the spots will be gone by then...

I just got an invite for March 15th as well...I hope there are still some seats left!

i just recieved my secondary application in the mail the other day. i realize that the spots may be dwindling, but it seems illogical to me that they would spend the time and money on sending the secondaries out if there are no more spots left...just a thought.

i just recieved my secondary application in the mail the other day. i realize that the spots may be dwindling, but it seems illogical to me that they would spend the time and money on sending the secondaries out if there are no more spots left...just a thought.

Time and money???? They get $50 per secondary for the time it takes to fill an envelope and buy a stamp. Unless you have some pretty legit stats I wouldn't waste your time at this point.

Time and money???? They get $50 per secondary for the time it takes to fill an envelope and buy a stamp. Unless you have some pretty legit stats I wouldn't waste your time at this point.

my stats are good, and i hear what you're saying but when you have yet to get in (i had to apply late this year) i hardly think it's a waste of time. it is rare, but people do get in late. and again, when it's all you got, you gotta go for it.

and i was confused, i thought people were referring to interview slots, not actual class seats. anyhoo...

AND if you do return it... DO IT NOW and SEND IT OVERNIGHT!

done ;)

hey, here's a question for ya. like i said, i had to apply late (like aacomas didn't send my app until first week of this month), which put me after the deadline for most of the schools to which i was applying. yet, so far five have sent me secondaries...are they that flexible with the deadline? are they just filling their ranks for possible wait listers...is there still a chance that they might take me? i already know the "realistic" answer that my chances are slim, and i'm not asking everyone to tell me that - again. i guess i'm more wondering about the secondaries coming when i know i missed the deadline.

Most of us haven't experienced the deadline issues...If you want a clear answer I would call the invididual admissions offices of each institution to whic you've applied.

I think that I may have said that back in December. Turns out they only interview through the last day of March.

Sorry if you got that misinformation from me. Most schools interview through April... not PCOM though.

I think that I may have said that back in December. Turns out they only interview through the last day of March.

Sorry if you got that misinformation from me. Most schools interview through April... not PCOM though.

no it wasn't you. my one friend who attends pcom told me she was interviewed in april last year. So i was assuming it'd be the same again this year. This sucks!!!

spoke w/PCOM admin this morning.
they said PCOM-GA is interviewing until the end of March.

I have not heard anything from them at all. I've basically given up. At this point I don't care because I've already been accepted to NYCOM. :) :thumbup: :clap:

whats strange is i was at an interview recently, and 3/4 of the interviewees there seem to have applied to pcom, and not one person heard back from it. Makes you only wonder who they're interviewing and accepting...hmmm

spoke w/PCOM admin this morning.
they said PCOM-GA is interviewing until the end of March.

what about PCOM in philly? did they tell you what they were doing or just what PCOM-GA was doing??

whats strange is i was at an interview recently, and 3/4 of the interviewees there seem to have applied to pcom, and not one person heard back from it. Makes you only wonder who they're interviewing and accepting...hmmm

Yeah, I had a similar experience. On the other hand, we are interviewing relatively late, so perhaps PCOM doesn't favor late applicants due to long processing time. *shrug*

I'm an in-stater with relatively good stats and it took them over 3 months to get back to me. I was complete in the middle of October and got my interview invite in January. As an OOS (they have more OOS applicants) this can only be compounded.

PCOM is so SLOW, it's nauseating! I've pretty much given up as well cause I had to send in my deposit somewhere else

PCOM didn't send me anything when I was applying. In fact, they didn't send anything until a month before the academic year ended.

I'm in state, and think I am a pretty competative applicant and haven't heard zilch other than "your application is complete"..... I've paid a deposit elsewhere as well and have given up on checking my email a kazillion times a day for them.

yeah I just spoke with them and they (Philly campus) said that they are only interviewing through March and that most of the interview invites have already been sent out..

Yeah I thought they were slow.... since they told me I was complete in December and I hadn't heard anything back from them. I just called them the other day and they told me I wasn't complete because they thought my letter of rec wasnt from an advisor... the problem was that my professor was also my advisor. Bunch of confusion.... just shows that you gotta keep checking in or they will screw it up!