timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sportygirl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am beginning a post bac program in the fall. I will be taking gen chem and physics the first two semesters. In the summer and next fall, I will take o chem and biology. I am just trying to prepare myself for this whole procedure. I am planning on applying next May or June when the application becomes available. Then, I was planning on taking my DAT's around August after I am done at least on semester of bio and o chem. Does anyone know if my application can be complete without my DAT? Also, is it too long to wait from May when I put in the app to August to take the DAT? Has anybody taken their DAT without having all the sciences classes complete?

I will be working part time as a dental hygienist while doing my post bac. I wanted to have as much experience working in the field before applying. Do you think this will give me a plus on getting accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

My question is almost similar. I found a number of threads on the timelines, but i was wondering this:
Even if i were to apply on may15th, when is the earliest schools will review my app if app is completed? If it was around July 15th, i can take the DAT on that day and fax it right?

Thanks everyone,

It takes 4 to 6 weeks from the day you press submit on the AADSAS website until your desginated dental schools receive a hard copy of your completed application. It took about 4 weeks for mine but I've read horror stories on this site about it taking much longer, usually becase there was some mistake with an LOR or transcript being forwarded to AADSAS. DAT scores get forwarded to your schools much faster. I think it's about two weeks at max.

To the orignal post, I think it would be worth it to try to take some of the gen chem and bio this summer. The DAT covers a lot of material and it's much easier to prepare if you've seen most of the material before. I waited until August to take the DAT so that I had taken all of the material but that meant applying late and being much more stressed out than I had to be.

Ideally finish as much as you can by may, submit your application on May 15 and then take the DAT in mid to late June. Then your schools should have all your info by July and you should be fine. Good Luck!