Timing vs. Credentials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DM27

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently weighing the options of what to do prior to reapplying. My first attempt at matriculation was met with mixed responses (numerous secondaries and two interviews out of 10 schools). I am curious if it is because of when I applied, primary in October and secondaries by December, or if it is because of my credentials or lackthereof. I am still waiting for a response from one school (post-interview).

I have two science majors and 2 minors.
GPA: 3.5
MCAT: V = 12 B = 10 P = 10 W= T
Years of Clinical Experience: 1
Years of Research Experience: 1
Graduated with honors, etc.

I am assuming that I will need to reapply next year, but I am curious if I was denied this attempt due to my lack of credentials, or because of timing. The reason I am curious is because I am trying to figure out how to best remedy the situation for next year (strengthen resume). Any opinions/advice that anybody can give is most appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently weighing the options of what to do prior to reapplying. My first attempt at matriculation was met with mixed responses (numerous secondaries and two interviews out of 10 schools). I am curious if it is because of when I applied, primary in October and secondaries by December, or if it is because of my credentials or lackthereof. I am still waiting for a response from one school (post-interview).

I have two science majors and 2 minors.
GPA: 3.5
MCAT: V = 12 B = 10 P = 10 W= T
Years of Clinical Experience: 1
Years of Research Experience: 1
Graduated with honors, etc.

I am assuming that I will need to reapply next year, but I am curious if I was denied this attempt due to my lack of credentials, or because of timing. The reason I am curious is because I am trying to figure out how to best remedy the situation for next year (strengthen resume). Any opinions/advice that anybody can give is most appreciated!

1) suggest that you call every school and ask for feedback regarding why they chose not to interview you, or to request interview feedback. 2/10 school interviews shows that you look good on paper! Question is if the other 8 schools are seeking something that you can add to your background before the next reapp cycle?

2) Only 10 apps? If possible, why not 20 or so next cycle?

3) Yes timing most likely played a part, I have heard this directly from admissions offices, as well as reading it in some schools' literature (rolling admissions for some schools keeps ALL "almost" students in the interview candidacy group for the entire application period; toward Dec/January, that's a LOT of students, versus the number in July! I've asked a number of schools this question; typical response is that one should turn in the secondary at least a few months before the deadline to optimally improve one's chances. (I've never heard that June/July app is required, but August is much better than December!)

good luck with the reapp if that's needed!

You applied late, decreasing your chances for full consideration. Your stats are reasonable, hopefully your letters of reference are good, and you had a great personal statement (feedback from a phone appointment with deans from some of your schools can confirm this.). Hopefully the clinical experience is on-going and there is some volunteerism in the picture. If you have to reapply, nearly every secondary will ask how you improved your application. Be sure to have a good answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had one other question regarding re-applying. I am planning to begin the reapplication process as soon as its possible, tweaking aspects of it, writing a new personal statement, etc. However, since this reapplication will only be occurring 2 or 3 months from now, what can I do to change it? I feel like I will not be able to reflect much on how I am using my year off when it hasn't even begun yet. Have any of you been in this position? If so how did you deal with reapplying so soon? (I am also planning to retake the MCAT in August, I would like to do July but I feel that doing it in August gives me optimal time for preparation).

Your MCAT is fine as it is. If you retake it, your 2nd score will be available in September, and your history of applying late will repeat itself. Either reapply in June, or wait a year, giving yourself time to beef up your application (if that hasn't been happening). If you do reapply in June, you've had 6-8 months of new history to add to your last AMCAS application. Surely you've got something substantive to add by now.

Do you think it would be worth retaking it in July so I can at least have that improved as well? Since I have an acceptable MCAT already I could submit my application as is and just indicate that I will be taking it again. I definitely have more to add to my resume now than I did during last Fall. My main concern over retaking the MCAT is I am confident I can outperform how I did last time, I bungled my studying in the biological sciences and could definitely raise it. Since my GPA is lacking compared to most averages do you think it would be advantageous to try to compensate with a stronger MCAT score?

Afterthought: I guess what I am grappling with is that I am unsure if I have enough to add to my application (such as improvements) to make this run that much better. I looked at programs such as the Harvard Extension School Health Careers Program, and I am wondering if I should spend my year gaining additional research/volunteer experience while bolstering my GPA and credentials in a program like this. Any thoughts?

Your GPA is not that bad, however, if you think that both your MCAT score and your GPA have room for improvement, definitely take a year off, bump up both numbers, and have more clinical/research experience under your belly. This way, when you reapply in the 09' cycle, you have devoted a whole year into improving your credentials, have had better knowledge of medicine (through clinical/research experience), and therefore will have a more solid comeback.