Tips for a first time interviewer? Osteopaths plz

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Premed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
^^

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Read Goro's interview tips. Way better advice than any of us could give besides (1) be yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're posting in the pre DO forum so I'd assume you'll get 95% DO student/pre DO advice;)
That being said, know your primary and secondary, know about the school (mission, curriculum, GME, etc), why you want to be a DO, and make sure you're as personable as possible. Best of luck!

Is the term "osteopath" insulting here, I seem to have struck a nerve with some of the posters above even though I'm apply almost all osteopathic schools? I always thought osteopath vs allopath is the same as saying osteopathic physician vs allopathic physician

I'm guessing it's a derogatory way to talk about DO's but I'm not sure. If it's striking a nerve with people then maybe just don't call current or us soon to be DO students that haha. Best of luck in your interview!

Some DOs view "osteopath" as a derogatory term, but other US-DOs refer to themselves as osteopaths. I guess the problem is European DOs, who are not physicians, call themselves osteopaths. I just say osteopathic physician.

Even if in a sentence you said "the difference between osteopaths and allopaths is..." I can avoid it moving forward, but I used that exact phrase in a secondary essay for a DO school I got an II for

Ps I only want to become a DO so I'm not some outsider looking down on everyone, I thought it was an abbreviated way of talking about the distinctions between DO and MD. If I called everyone a "physician" I wouldn't know how to answer "Why osteopathic medicine?"

Osteopath is an antiquated term that was used back when DOs practiced the magic medicine of lightning bone setting. After AT still croaked, DOs decided the only way to keep their profession alive was to actually study pharmacology in their curriculum and treat like a normal medical doctor.

The term allopath was in essence a derogatory word for MDs since the term allopath technically means "other" and was to describe the fact that MDs only worked on symptoms and not the disease whereas homeopaths, osteopaths, and other none evidence based medicine "-paths" treated the root of the cause through prevention medicine, earth roots, and other products you can get in package form on David Avocado Wolfes website for an easy payment of 299.

You got an II for using osteopaths because DO faculty (clinical DOs) eat that stuff up. You're going to DO school to learn medicine as well as OMM and to become an osteopathic physician, not an osteopath.

If you want to be a purist and only learn the trade of lightning bone setting aka OMM then there are schools in the UK and Canada that are schools of osteopathy where you can be an osteopath.

Members don't see this ad :)
Point taken, I was not aware of this historical significance behind the terms. Hopefully Adcoms will not shred me up at my interview, I will certainly not use the term again :(

They certainly won't. If it was brought up, tell em you didn't know and recently found out. They may in fact be impressed with your knowledge of the history of osteopathic medicine ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
You can never tell with Adcom members. While I agree with the above sentiments, I had an OPP faculty interviewer use the term many times during an interviewer. I have also been told on these forums not to answer the "Why DO?" question with "DO treats the whole patient!", but I recently had an interviewer where, after I said everything but that, she replied " So basically DO treats the whole patient?" and she was an MD. You just gotta use common sense.

You can never tell with Adcom members. While I agree with the above sentiments, I had an OPP faculty interviewer use the term many times during an interviewer. I have also been told on these forums not to answer the "Why DO?" question with "DO treats the whole patient!", but I recently had an interviewer where, after I said everything but that, she replied " So basically DO treats the whole patient?" and she was an MD. You just gotta use common sense.

Lol I experienced this as well because once I realized my interviewer was an MD I felt like I was insulting him while explaining why DO. I ended up saying something about patient emphasis, during which he then shot a look at the other interviewer, and OMM, in which he proceeded to tell me that OMM was used by less than 1% of DO's. I replied with "The way I see it, OMM is another tool that has a very specific use and only adds to the tools available to a physician."

I think they enjoy asking us that (MD's) because they know its a bit of a toss up.

You do have some older camps that use the term osteopath, but the newer faction don't like it. I cringe a little bit everytime I hear someone use osteopath instead of "osteopathic physician". The term osteopath will probably be considered completely derogatory in 15 years when the old camp is gone. It's best to just stick to osteopathic physician so you don't risk rubbing anyone the wrong way.

Anyway on your interview question go find Goro's thread. It's your best resource.

Here's how I see it, as an OMS1.

It all depends how you're using the phrase "osteopath." It's not okay to call a DO physician an "osteopath" to define him or his practice (unless it's a STRICTLY OMM practice, but even then...eh), but from what I've seen, it's okay to call a DO an osteopath when you're talking about their practice of OMM.

When a DO is is ordering lab tests, doing surgery, checking BP, or generally doing "doctor stuff," he's a physician, a doctor, an osteopathic physician, or an internist/neurologist/gynecologist, etc. But when a DO is doing OMM, I don't think its wrong to say that he's acting in his capacity as an osteopath.

I think it's also fair to say that a DO is a "doctor and an osteopath."

I guess a way to put is like this: If someone has a dual degree in Hostage Negotiating and Weasel Hunting, it's kind of a dick move to call him a weasel hunter while he's saving a city from a a terrorist. But calling him a weasel hunter after he's just saved a woman from a 50lb stoat is just telling it like it is.

Even if in a sentence you said "the difference between osteopaths and allopaths is..." I can avoid it moving forward, but I used that exact phrase in a secondary essay for a DO school I got an II for

Ps I only want to become a DO so I'm not some outsider looking down on everyone, I thought it was an abbreviated way of talking about the distinctions between DO and MD. If I called everyone a "physician" I wouldn't know how to answer "Why osteopathic medicine?"
Osteopath is a term that refers to practitioners of OMM that are not physicians. It's historically used as a derisive term when applied to those of us that also practice mainstream medicine in addition to OMM. Knowing this is important because if you use the term osteopath in an interview, you're 1,000% not getting the spot. We are osteopathic physicians.

After all the interview prep, etc. Here's all you need, a big ass smile, loads of confidence (not cockiness) with a bit of humbleness sprinkled on top.

Here's how I see it, as an OMS1.

It all depends how you're using the phrase "osteopath." It's not okay to call a DO physician an "osteopath" to define him or his practice (unless it's a STRICTLY OMM practice, but even then...eh), but from what I've seen, it's okay to call a DO an osteopath when you're talking about their practice of OMM.

When a DO is is ordering lab tests, doing surgery, checking BP, or generally doing "doctor stuff," he's a physician, a doctor, an osteopathic physician, or an internist/neurologist/gynecologist, etc. But when a DO is doing OMM, I don't think its wrong to say that he's acting in his capacity as an osteopath.

I think it's also fair to say that a DO is a "doctor and an osteopath."

I guess a way to put is like this: If someone has a dual degree in Hostage Negotiating and Weasel Hunting, it's kind of a dick move to call him a weasel hunter while he's saving a city from a a terrorist. But calling him a weasel hunter after he's just saved a woman from a 50lb stoat is just telling it like it is.

What happens when he negotiates the release of a hostage from a band of wily weasel bandits, shuffling them from their mortal rodent coil in the process?

I know hospital websites that state either "allopath" and "osteopath" when you click on a provider's name. It makes no difference whatsoever.

IMO, the most important thing is to practice interviewing with mock interviews or practicing in front of a camera/mirror. As long as you can say "Why DO, why a physician, why XSOM," you should be fine.

IMO, the most important thing is to practice interviewing with mock interviews or practicing in front of a camera/mirror. As long as you can say "Why DO, why a physician, why XSOM," you should be fine.
Correction: as long as you have good and convincing answers.

Can you link?

Go on any veterans affair hospital and click on their providers. Osteopath, osteopathic physician, same thing. People know what you mean.

If you go to the San Diego VA hospital site and click on the doctors, for MDs it says "physician" under provider type, but it says "osteopath" for the DOs.