Tips for a pre-pharm club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inquirer89

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just started a pre-pharmacy society at my school. I already held an interest meeting and invited a local pharm school's recruiter to talk with the students. There were 11 people that came out and there are a few more that could not make it, so the interest is out there.

My questions for those already in a prepharm club: What do you do in your meetings? I was thinking of inviting more guest speakers, but I need to incorporate other activities. What can I do to help prepare students for pharmacy school, and to educate those who are new to the field and want to learn more?

Members don't see this ad.

Our club started ~5 years ago and has grown a lot. In our meetings, we usually schedule a guest speaker (pharmacy admission, pharmacy students that used to go to your school, etc), private open house for a nearby pharmacy school, workshops for personal statements, and mock interviews. We held pizza social so people in the club can chat among another or held a fundraiser for UNICEF. In addition to those, we have set up with Kaplan to give "test run" on PCAT for those interested, they are usually in the fall right before the Oct PCAT. There are lots of options, maybe you can get some ideas from your advisor.

We also created an e-mail account for the club, a website (facebook/IM,etc), and did flyers for upcoming events. You have to get the word out. Good luck!

That's great that you are starting a prepharmacy club. It's going to look good on your application and very helpful for everyone that joins. The prepharmacy association at my school is a 300+ member organization. Every meeting, we have an admissions officer from a college of pharmacy come and talk to us about his/her school. We have a liason from the college of pharmacy that answers questions that members may have and we regularly hold volunteer events around the community.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our pre-pharm club has a student panel of current pharmacy students at each meeting. Our club has been around with having guest speakers come in from different specialities in pharmacy (it gives the students a broader knowledge of pharmacy so they can use the info for interviews and such) and the panel, but it was always ran by our schools pre-pharm advisor. Now, starting this year it is a student ran organization, so I am not sure how it will change.

Hey guys, I just started a pre-pharmacy society at my school. I already held an interest meeting and invited a local pharm school's recruiter to talk with the students. There were 11 people that came out and there are a few more that could not make it, so the interest is out there.

My questions for those already in a prepharm club: What do you do in your meetings? I was thinking of inviting more guest speakers, but I need to incorporate other activities. What can I do to help prepare students for pharmacy school, and to educate those who are new to the field and want to learn more?

I don't think my school has one! :confused: