@#Frogthejam#@

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'll be entering University this January. I'll be majoring in Anthropology. It would have been in August but during my senior year in HS I didn't apply to any American Schools. I applied to a bunch of 6 Yr MD programs in Europe. I got into a few of them after the entrance exams but the ones I got into don't have financial aid anymore so I couldn't go this October.

Lurking around the various forums and reading all the things expected has be nervous and full of trepidation. I'm not completely confident or confident at all in my study skills or book knowledge enough to know that i will meet these expectations before applying to Medical School. My High School Career was mediocre at best and downright terrible at worst.

Part of my fear regarding college is due to my performance in my first two years of High School. I was immensely immature and did horribly. I never studied one bit and was lucky to walk away with low D's on my core classes. D in Geometry. D in Biology D in English. D in Chemistry, F in Latin and the list goes on. I think my GPA was a 1.9 or something equally as terrible coming into my Junior Year. I got my Act Together in my last 2 years and did really well. [It's surprising what a little studying could have done for my GPA] I started of with two D's Junior year in Physics but after the first 2 Marking Periods I decided to put in the work and got A+'s in the last two Marking Periods which helped bump me into a B with an A on the final. I got an A my Senior Year for my Anatomy and Physiology Class. My Overall GPA became around a 3.02 because of the AP and Honor courses that I was able to take due to my grades Junior Year.

I even took Entrance Exams for the Various Medical Universities offering 6 Year Programs in Europe and passed them but I'm still really nervous. I'm not sure how I can or should handle studying Biology,Chemistry and other courses in College. With My performance my first two years I'm still very uncertain that I can do it in college.

Any tips on how to become more comfortable with studying when the time comes and how to get involved with volunteering and EC's while still maintaining good study habits that will make up for my deficiency.
I'm not a very social person so I don't know how to bring myself to do the required EC's for Medical School.

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
calnewport.com

He interviewed Rhodes Scholars and figured out how they did so well with a minimum amount of work. He has two books on how to do well in college. Newport went to Dartmouth and MIT for grad school, and now is an assistant professor at Georgetown..Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, I'll be entering University this January. I'll be majoring in Anthropology. It would have been in August but during my senior year in HS I didn't apply to any American Schools. I applied to a bunch of 6 Yr MD programs in Europe. I got into a few of them after the entrance exams but the ones I got into don't have financial aid anymore so I couldn't go this October.

Lurking around the various forums and reading all the things expected has be nervous and full of trepidation. I'm not completely confident or confident at all in my study skills or book knowledge enough to know that i will meet these expectations before applying to Medical School. My High School Career was mediocre at best and downright terrible at worst.

Part of my fear regarding college is due to my performance in my first two years of High School. I was immensely immature and did horribly. I never studied one bit and was lucky to walk away with low D's on my core classes. D in Geometry. D in Biology D in English. D in Chemistry, F in Latin and the list goes on. I think my GPA was a 1.9 or something equally as terrible coming into my Junior Year. I got my Act Together in my last 2 years and did really well. [It's surprising what a little studying could have done for my GPA] I started of with two D's Junior year in Physics but after the first 2 Marking Periods I decided to put in the work and got A+'s in the last two Marking Periods which helped bump me into a B with an A on the final. I got an A my Senior Year for my Anatomy and Physiology Class. My Overall GPA became around a 3.02 because of the AP and Honor courses that I was able to take due to my grades Junior Year.

I even took Entrance Exams for the Various Medical Universities offering 6 Year Programs in Europe and passed them but I'm still really nervous. I'm not sure how I can or should handle studying Biology,Chemistry and other courses in College. With My performance my first two years I'm still very uncertain that I can do it in college.

Any tips on how to become more comfortable with studying when the time comes and how to get involved with volunteering and EC's while still maintaining good study habits that will make up for my deficiency.
I'm not a very social person so I don't know how to bring myself to do the required EC's for Medical School.

Thank You!

Hi! How are you? How are your studies? Hope you're doing well in your univ ;-)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! How are you? How are your studies? Hope you're doing well in your univ ;-)
Hey. I just saw this old post more than eight years after the fact. It has not been a smooth journey, but I'm now a US MD student. I did well in college, mainly by coming in with a focused mindset and meeting an awesome teacher in my first-ever class. Chemistry used to give me nightmares and PTSD in high school. I was shaking from anxiety in that 1st general chemistry class, but my professor made me fall in love with it. She was kind, and attentive and never belittled me like my high school teacher did.

I've made a total turnaround from an awful student to a good student even now in medical school where my exam averages have been ~95% from M1 year till now. Theres still a long way to go. I want to do Orthopedic Surgery, and I might be taking a research year after this one but I'm not sure yet. Hoping to keep going strong. Life has been tough these 8 years in more ways than one but, we keep moving forward.

Just wanted to give an update.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Hey. I just saw this old post more than eight years after the fact. It has not been a smooth journey, but I'm now a US MD student. I did well in college, mainly by coming in with a focused mindset and meeting an awesome teacher in my first-ever class. Chemistry used to give me nightmares and PTSD in high school. I was shaking from anxiety in that 1st general chemistry class, but my professor made me fall in love with it. She was kind, and attentive and never belittled me like my high school teacher did.

I've made a total turnaround from an awful student to a good student even now in medical school where my exam averages have been ~95% from M1 year till now. Theres still a long way to go. I want to do Orthopedic Surgery, and I might be taking a research year after this one but I'm not sure yet. Hoping to keep going strong. Life has been tough these 8 years in more ways than one but, we keep moving forward.

Just wanted to give an update.
Wow... So many years later you remembered to come back and cared enough to provide a detailed update. Thank you very much for doing that and good luck!!!