Tips on getting to know professors at a large Uni...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted887473

I go to a large state school. Most of my (even upper level) classes are taught in spacious lecture halls, and chances to talk to profs are few and far between. I do very well in all my classes so when I do go to office hours it’d be solely for the purpose of getting chummy with the professor, but I feel weird to go out of the way to see them when I don’t need help with the class material. Some profs that I am interested in getting potential letters from also have office hours that I can’t make, and I feel awkward setting up appointments with them when I know someone else who actually needs it can use that time. This prof in particular is so busy that he has so many students at his office hours so each student only gets five minutes. All in all it’s been difficult/strange trying to connect with professors. Any advice?
Also, in general, do rec letters have to be absolutely extraordinary? Is it ok if I just end up with a few generic letters that don’t stand out but don’t hurt either?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My understanding is that letters of rec rarely have sway for being very good, rather you are mostly looking to avoid letters that hurt. I don't think it would be a bad idea to meet a professor for a course you like (scheduled meeting is fine), talk about your interest in the class, talk about their research, etc. and then ask for a letter of rec. Alternatively, if you have a TA in a course that knows you well, maybe the PI would allow them to write the letter and sign off on it.

My understanding is that letters of rec rarely have sway for being very good, rather you are mostly looking to avoid letters that hurt. I don't think it would be a bad idea to meet a professor for a course you like (scheduled meeting is fine), talk about your interest in the class, talk about their research, etc. and then ask for a letter of rec. Alternatively, if you have a TA in a course that knows you well, maybe the PI would allow them to write the letter and sign off on it.

I disagree with this entirely. Letters of rec are the eyes into your life for the admissions committee. 4 generic letters isn't going to do an application justice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree with this entirely. Letters of rec are the eyes into your life for the admissions committee. 4 generic letters isn't going to do an application justice.
I’m mostly talking about letters from professors that taught me. I will have strong personalized letters from non-academic sources (my employer and my PI) that I am confident would provide good outside inputs into me as a person. It’s just been difficult to find that connection with teaching professors.

I’m mostly talking about letters from professors that taught me. I will have strong personalized letters from non-academic sources (my employer and my PI) that I am confident would provide good outside inputs into me as a person. It’s just been difficult to find that connection with teaching professors.
Does your PI teach a course? If so, try to take it.

Yeah obviously you need good letter(s) from somewhere, but I don't think your professors have to necessarily be beaming with positive and unique insight on you, especially from a large state school where it is harder to get these.

Really? You really think a professor is going to know the vast majority of students beyond a superficial level even if a student is a suck-up and goes to office hours every week? The professors probably have a template and just change the name, gender, and major along with a couple sentences and call it good.

Reactions: 4 users
Do well in a course. Throughout the course, keep going to office hours. Ask questions even if you know the answer. If it is a course that you like (hopefully), then ask some genuine questions and maybe ask for some additional practice. Ask the professor if you could TA or do research with them.

Couple of suggestions --

In lecture, sit near the front and sit in the same general area every lecture. Don't be late! Don't sit in the front row (totally suck-up and uncomfortable to boot), but 3-4 rows back slightly off-center. Be visible, and of course, pay attention in class!

If the professor seeks class participation, then participate. Don't be THE most vocal, but if the professor asks a question that's dying in dead air and you've got something to say, jump in. If you do the advance reading, try to have a few pertinent questions formulated and if the appropriate opportunity arises, ask it. (Maybe right after class)

Go to office hours near the start of the semester to introduce yourself. Might as well admit that you're a pre-med who plans on asking for a letter of recommendation if you do well and if the professor is willing - ask if s/he's willing and volunteer that you'd understand if the answer is no because they'll get asked a lot.

Do your very best in class. If you're one of the top scorers on the first exam, that will get noticed.

Do NOT grade-grub! If you feel a question was graded too harshly, ask your TA how you could have provided a better answer.

Reactions: 3 users
Honestly, find something to ask about at office hours. Follow things down rabbit holes if you understand all the class material until you get to something you don't know or are curious to find out more about.

Reactions: 1 users
Couple of suggestions --

In lecture, sit near the front and sit in the same general area every lecture. Don't be late! Don't sit in the front row (totally suck-up and uncomfortable to boot), but 3-4 rows back slightly off-center. Be visible, and of course, pay attention in class!

If the professor seeks class participation, then participate. Don't be THE most vocal, but if the professor asks a question that's dying in dead air and you've got something to say, jump in. If you do the advance reading, try to have a few pertinent questions formulated and if the appropriate opportunity arises, ask it. (Maybe right after class)

Go to office hours near the start of the semester to introduce yourself. Might as well admit that you're a pre-med who plans on asking for a letter of recommendation if you do well and if the professor is willing - ask if s/he's willing and volunteer that you'd understand if the answer is no because they'll get asked a lot.

Do your very best in class. If you're one of the top scorers on the first exam, that will get noticed.

Do NOT grade-grub! If you feel a question was graded too harshly, ask your TA how you could have provided a better answer.
Honestly, find something to ask about at office hours. Follow things down rabbit holes if you understand all the class material until you get to something you don't know or are curious to find out more about.

Thanks for the solid advice!
Upon studying more for this one class I did come up with some in depth questions that I will ask the prof. I do sit near the front during lectures and have answered questions several times when nobody did. We had one exam so far and I was among the top scorers. The prof actually sent congratulatory emails to top scorers so at least he has seen my name haha.

Thanks for the solid advice!
Upon studying more for this one class I did come up with some in depth questions that I will ask the prof. I do sit near the front during lectures and have answered questions several times when nobody did. We had one exam so far and I was among the top scorers. The prof actually sent congratulatory emails to top scorers so at least he has seen my name haha.

Sounds like you're off to a great start!

I go to a large state school. Most of my (even upper level) classes are taught in spacious lecture halls, and chances to talk to profs are few and far between. I do very well in all my classes so when I do go to office hours it’d be solely for the purpose of getting chummy with the professor, but I feel weird to go out of the way to see them when I don’t need help with the class material. Some profs that I am interested in getting potential letters from also have office hours that I can’t make, and I feel awkward setting up appointments with them when I know someone else who actually needs it can use that time. This prof in particular is so busy that he has so many students at his office hours so each student only gets five minutes. All in all it’s been difficult/strange trying to connect with professors. Any advice?
Also, in general, do rec letters have to be absolutely extraordinary? Is it ok if I just end up with a few generic letters that don’t stand out but don’t hurt either?

Can I ask why you want a letter from this specific professor? Keep in mind that if they are so busy in office hours, they are likely to be similarly inundated with requests for letters of rec from other students, so it may increase the likelihood of a very templated letter/difficulty getting the letter in a timely manner.

Can I ask why you want a letter from this specific professor? Keep in mind that if they are so busy in office hours, they are likely to be similarly inundated with requests for letters of rec from other students, so it may increase the likelihood of a very templated letter/difficulty getting the letter in a timely manner.
My other science profs aren’t much less busy, and I really really love the class material (prob my favorite science class so far) so I thought it’s worth trying to pursue a good rapport with this prof. Not to say I am not looking out for my other science profs.

Sit within the front 3 rows, participate actively in class and excel on tests and quizzes. I could tell you the name of every student I taught who was in the top 5% of the class.