Tired of Bland Threads - Pharmacy mentality

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well aren’t you miss prissy pants this morning!
Yes. I'm in Florida just now waking up in my suite hotel room after swimming in the indoor pool and lounging in the hot tub about to go back to the beach. :D You?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. I'm in Florida just now waking up in my suite hotel room after swimming in the indoor pool and lounging in the hot tub about to go back to the beach. :D You?

Oh you do not want to know what I am doing. The morning started off way to early with poopy diapers. Then there was the crying and fit throwing untill I could get bottles and breakfast made. Hell its 10 o'clock and I am ready for a nap!

Sometimes I wanna post about all of the craziness that's flying around in my brain, like the fact that sand shouldn't be a singular word, because it's a collective substance, but I don't.

Sorry Robbie.

You can't be an intellectual around here. People on this forum would rather talk about which company pays the most, how mindless retail pharmacy is (in a mindless way, of course!), and their favorite sports team. They also like to act like they're better than everyone else, at times, because they know obscure crap that no one cares about.

Again, sorry Robbie.

I love it when she gets sassy... :D

This isn't a blog - meant to get people to read the stories by perking said interests. Its a forum, meant to discuss whatever is going on - whether it be shoes to wear or bonus renegotiations. Sometimes we got down and dirty with drug information / kinetics. Sometimes we simply revert into name calling. It is what it is...

I do think that the folk here the longest often forget that they were new once - young and impressionable - If you go back far enough, you can even find when BMbio and WVU posted laughably optimistic posts... Not sure about Mountain though - he may have entered this world jaded???

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I love it when she gets sassy... :D

This isn't a blog - meant to get people to read the stories by perking said interests. Its a forum, meant to discuss whatever is going on - whether it be shoes to wear or bonus renegotiations. Sometimes we got down and dirty with drug information / kinetics. Sometimes we simply revert into name calling. It is what it is...

I do think that the folk here the longest often forget that they were new once - young and impressionable - If you go back far enough, you can even find when BMbio and WVU posted laughably optimistic posts... Not sure about Mountain though - he may have entered this world jaded???
Mike??? Optimistic? Talk about an oxymoron. :smuggrin:

Sometimes I wanna post about all of the craziness that's flying around in my brain, like the fact that sand shouldn't be a singular word, because it's a collective substance, but I don't.

Sorry Robbie.

You can't be an intellectual around here. People on this forum would rather talk about which company pays the most, how mindless retail pharmacy is (in a mindless way, of course!), and their favorite sports team. They also like to act like they're better than everyone else, at times, because they know obscure crap that no one cares about.

Again, sorry Robbie.

You're right. There are also tons of threads about "market saturation" and complaints about too many schools opening. If the field of pharmacy is going to innovate, it needs people that are more interested in changing the profession rather than thinking about salaries and topics that have no substance.

You're right. There are also tons of threads about "market saturation" and complaints about too many schools opening. If the field of pharmacy is going to innovate, it needs people that are more interested in changing the profession rather than thinking about salaries and topics that have no substance.

Lead us Robbie, lead us!!!

should have gone to that Ph.D program with job prospect going to ****e, at least you can crash frat parties and pretend you are still 18 for another 8 years.

google phd comics.

should have gone to that Ph.D program with job prospect going to ****e, at least you can crash frat parties and pretend you are still 18 for another 8 years.

google phd comics.

PhD. doesn't cost a dime. AND they stack scholarships on top of that. They practically bride you to go to school.

PhD. doesn't cost a dime. AND they stack scholarships on top of that. They practically bride you to go to school.

Not to mention, they pay for your interview costs, lodging, and meals. It's FREE education. For one of my interviews I stayed at the Sheraton in downtown Dallas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to mention, they pay for your interview costs, lodging, and meals. It's FREE education. For one of my interviews I stayed at the Sheraton in downtown Dallas.

They have to bribe you. If you didn't get paid to go to grad school, why else would you take a job after almost or maybe more than ten years of post-secondary education as a post-doc that makes less than $40,000 a year?

By the way, you never did answer me about why you chose pharmacy instead of grad school. I'm thinking you still regret your decision...

google phd comics.

LOL...true

I'm kinda bummed by this forum since the threads posted are so brainless and bland. If I have to look forward to being around people that think like this for the next 4 years, I don't know what I am going to do. A thread about "What shoes should I wear for standing long hours"??? Or "when is a good time for maternity leave"?? What the hell is going on here. Is anyone passionate about their job or has it just zapped their brains dry and left them bland and boring. In other professions, there are interesting topics to talk about. No wonder when I go to the pharmacy the pharmacist is so stonefaced and and bitter-looking. He/She is bored out of her mind and doesn't give a crap about the job. Does anyone have any input on this?

Threads are blend and unrelated b/c WE ARE ALREADY ACCEPTED. There really isn't much "help" we need now that we are accepted and ready to attend school. What else do you expect us to ask?

You still have time to quit and attend a PhD program, no need to feel cheated now.

LOL...true

Okay, now I have to defend PhD programs. You do not keep attending frat parties and act like you're 18. You attend classes, you teach, and you work in a lab. In fact, it's more like a job at the end. You go to lab every day, you do experiments, and at home, you are often reading technical papers or are writing up your data.

Most last more like 5 or 6 years, not eight. And people still party, but that's like any group of adults. The nice thing is that since everyone has their bachelor's, everyone is 21 or over, so we can actually go to bars and stuff.

No offense, but getting into a PhD program doesn't make you as sweet as you think you are. I know, because I got into Harvard's Epidemiology PhD program and I generally suck at life. I took an Ichthyology course once and the prof. informed us that he failed his first fish course course in undergrad.

No offense, but getting into a PhD program doesn't make you as sweet as you think you are. I know, because I got into Harvard's Epidemiology PhD program and I generally suck at life. I took an Ichthyology course once and the prof. informed us that he failed his first fish course course in undergrad.

It depends on the PhD program. Some are more prestigious than others.

One problem with PhD programs is that they often take people right out of undergrad, which I think trains you much better to go to professional programs than to go to grad school. When you barely understand journal articles and start grad school classes that depend on them, it's actually pretty easy to fail (or at least not do so well). Most people learn quickly, but it's sort of a sink-or-swim mentality.

And I doubt you suck at life, ffpickle.

They have to bribe you. If you didn't get paid to go to grad school, why else would you take a job after almost or maybe more than ten years of post-secondary education as a post-doc that makes less than $40,000 a year?

By the way, you never did answer me about why you chose pharmacy instead of grad school. I'm thinking you still regret your decision...

Flexibility, flexibility, flexibility.

Okay, now I have to defend PhD programs. You do not keep attending frat parties and act like you're 18. You attend classes, you teach, and you work in a lab. In fact, it's more like a job at the end. You go to lab every day, you do experiments, and at home, you are often reading technical papers or are writing up your data.

Most last more like 5 or 6 years, not eight. And people still party, but that's like any group of adults. The nice thing is that since everyone has their bachelor's, everyone is 21 or over, so we can actually go to bars and stuff.

Everything you said here is correct. They go out and drink together and drink at bars but I don't believe there is much interaction with fraternities. Doctoral students cannot spend time with that type of crowd too much. PhD. students are interested in becoming intellectuals and spend most of their time reading scientific papers and being in a lab as you mentioned. Damn, there are some ignorant people in here.

It depends on the PhD program. Some are more prestigious than others.

One problem with PhD programs is that they often take people right out of undergrad, which I think trains you much better to go to professional programs than to go to grad school. When you barely understand journal articles and start grad school classes that depend on them, it's actually pretty easy to fail (or at least not do so well). Most people learn quickly, but it's sort of a sink-or-swim mentality.

And I doubt you suck at life, ffpickle.

You are right to a certain degree. There are many students that are the exception such as myself. I did research for two years and was exposed to everything during undergrad so I would be able to make the transition. However there are many students that do not get that exposure so a Masters is the better choice for them so that they can transition.

Sorry Robbie.

Again, sorry Robbie.

The canary islands are named after dogs (latin root canaria), not canaries.
:cool:

Flexibility how? I'd argue that in some ways, academia is a lot more flexible. My husband, even while working in someone else's lab, is the boss of his own project. Some days he works at home, others he goes in late in the afternoon, others he works 12 hour days. I will definitely miss the option of taking a two-hour lunch and getting some errands done, knowing I'll just work that night until 7 instead of until 6 or come in on the weekend for a bit.

You're a bit limited where you can work with a PhD, but it's not impossible to find a job. There are plenty of labs in big cities and college towns. There's also lots options to work in industry.

Besides, if you really want to do research but are doing pharmacy instead, you'll come to hate pharmacy. I haven't heard anything from you that really shows you want to do pharmacy. Don't pursue a career just because it's flexible!

You are right to a certain degree. There are many students that are the exception such as myself. I did research for two years and was exposed to everything during undergrad so I would be able to make the transition. However there are many students that do not get that exposure so a Masters is the better choice for them so that they can transition.

By the way, undergrad research is not the same as grad school. I did plenty of undergrad research and didn't find out research wasn't for me until I got to grad school.

Everything you said here is correct. They go out and drink together and drink at bars but I don't believe there is much interaction with fraternities. Doctoral students cannot spend time with that type of crowd too much. PhD. students are interested in becoming intellectuals and spend most of their time reading scientific papers and being in a lab as you mentioned. Damn, there are some ignorant people in here.

Sometimes it's ignorance; sometimes it's wanting to start an argument. "My program is better than your's." Reminds me of the playground in elementary school.

Although I do have to correct you on one thing: most PhD students don't really go around wanting to become intellectuals. They do research because they want to. Often, they're only interested in their field. They're pretty much just like any other group pursuing advanced degrees.

Last edited:
OMFG.... take this freaking most boring/bland topic ever on the pharmacy forum and dump it in the PhD forum... Please...I beg you. :thumbdown:

Thanks, guys! I was having trouble falling asleep, so I read this thread. Took care of it. Night all!

True, but you will also be living in poverty as well. Is flexibility worth living like a pauper until you die?

Nice! Should have gone! :)

True, but you will also be living in poverty as well. Is flexibility worth living like a pauper until you die?

Umm... I think he wanted the flexibility of being a pharmacist?

And getting a PhD doesn't mean you live in poverty! You may not make a ton of money, but you also don't have $100,000 of debt to pay back.

I wish there was a "douchebag" emoticon. Then I wouldn't have to waste my time writing this.

I don't know...I sorta infer from your "musings" that pharmacy school may be "beneath" you whereas a PhD program--PhD candidates being "intellectuals" and all--may be far superior??

Why don't you reserve judgement until you've actually experienced pharmacy school? Or an actual PhD program, for that matter.

OMFG.... take this freaking most boring/bland topic ever on the pharmacy forum and dump it in the PhD forum... Please...I beg you. :thumbdown:

Thanks, guys! I was having trouble falling asleep, so I read this thread. Took care of it. Night all!

Okay, guys, this really isn't that boring. You want boring? I'll describe my research project. It's all about fatty-acid metabolizing enzymes and their role in cells...

Okay, guys, this really isn't that boring. You want boring? I'll describe my research project. It's all about fatty-acid metabolizing enzymes and their role in cells...

Threadjack. :love::love:

hmmmm fatty acid metabolism is eleventy billion times more interesting than the phd topic.

Would Western blots also be more interesting? That's what I'm currently working on.

I'm in lab, and really should not be posting on SDN...

By the way, undergrad research is not the same as grad school. I did plenty of undergrad research and didn't find out research wasn't for me until I got to grad school.

You need to open your view further. I had the same type of projects as the post-doctoral fellow that worked in my lab. I would also do up to 12 hours straight on the weekends. I am publishing a paper this summer. The difference comes from the professor you work with. A majority of the professors give undergrads "practice projects". Sorry, but some professors give undergrads the "real deal". I also gave oral presentations at national meetings which is what doctoral and post-doctoral fellows do.

If you want to complain then please include more info to back up your claim. Anyone can post a one-liner stating that they hate a thread. I can randomly go on a thread and post a sentence stating that I am bored. If you want to say something you need to elaborate.

I noticed you just jump on threads to ruin them as shown by one of your older posts which is below.

Posted By StaviZFingerZ
icon1.gif
Only for glamour and nude photography! Ha!

Only for glamour and nude photography! Ha!

If you want to complain then please include more info to back up your claim. Anyone can post a one-liner stating that they hate a thread. I can randomly go on a thread and post a sentence stating that I am bored. If you want to say something you need to elaborate.

I don't gotta nuthin dude..

Sometimes it's ignorance; sometimes it's wanting to start an argument. "My program is better than your's." Reminds me of the playground in elementary school.

Although I do have to correct you on one thing: most PhD students don't really go around wanting to become intellectuals. They do research because they want to. Often, they're only interested in their field. They're pretty much just like any other group pursuing advanced degrees.

I can agree with you here. People go into what they are interested in...usually. I believe it's all about the person and what decisions they make and how they position themselves.

Yeah! I demand a damn explanation as well:mad:

:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

OK, here's my explanation. I'll let JC tell it... he does it better than anyone else.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_lOfroRDq8[/YOUTUBE]

Status
Not open for further replies.