titration problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

BodybldgDoc

Can someone please help with this one?

What volume of HCl was added if 20mL of 1M NaOH is titrated with 1M HCl to produce a pH=2?
a. 10.2mL
b. 20.2mL
c. 30.4mL
d. 35.5mL
e. None of these

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone please help with this one?

What volume of HCl was added if 20mL of 1M NaOH is titrated with 1M HCl to produce a pH=2?
a. 10.2mL
b. 20.2mL
c. 30.4mL
d. 35.5mL
e. None of these

I dont want to give you the wrong explanation, but before you even start the problem, you can eliminate 2 choices just looking at it.

A and B can be eliminated, because since you will need for than 20mL of HCL to get to pH of 2.

20mL of HCL + 20mL of NaOH = neutral (pH of 7).

*I know this is not the answer, but just thought you might want to eliminate 2 choices!

i would guess B
20 ml to neutralize it
after that its just takes alittle bit more to get a really really low pH

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it's been many many years since i've even attempted a gen chem problem so this might be completely wrong. Here's what i did.

You know you want the pH = 2 AFTER you add the HCl. Therefore, using the definition pH you get pH = -log [H+] --> 2 = -log [H+]. 10^-2 = .01 = [H+]. So you want the molarity of H+ to equal .01. Since HCl and NaOH are in a one to one ratio it will take 20mL of HCl before the solution is neutral so anything you add after 20ml will contribute to the H+ concentration (adding it before will just neutralize into water).

Now you take the definition of molarity

Number of moles (H+) / total volume of solution = .01
Let x = amount of HCl added.

(x - .020) / (x + .020) = .01
(exess moles of H+ in solution) / (total volume in solution) = .01

Solving that for x you get x = .0204L or 20.4mL. So 0.4mL of H+ needs to be in excess.

You can test the answer by doing -log ( .0004 moles of H+/ (.0404L) = 2.00.

Hope this Helps and hopefully if i did something wrong (it's been forever since i had chem) someone will catch it. GL!

He is right....another way of setting up the problem is

1(x)/total volume = 1(x)/(.040 + x) = 0.01

So...total HCl needed is 20ml for neutralization + x

That problem is nitpicky with calculation though...20.2 vs 20.4??? WTF???? I like the achiever version of that question way better...the choices actually force you to do the calculation. WORSE QUESTION EVER!!!

hrmm the correct answer is E but I dont really know how to approach this problem. I hate titration problems. :mad:

Yeah, the answer is E.

This was my first thught, but it seemed to easy. Anyways this is how I figured its E.

M1V1=M2V2 ---? 20(1)/1 = V therefore volume is 20ml needed to neutralize.. does this seem right ?

thanks guys. Finally got a chance to go over the solutions posted for this problem today. Although this problem looks easy now after having reviewed the posted solution, I dont think I would have been able to solve it under a minute on the real thing. seemed kinda lengthy