*~*~*TMDSAS 2017*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was never put on an alternate list for UTSD and was accepted late March last year and interviewed mid Jan.
Call up the school. Its much different this year as cooley is now the dean rather than gallindo

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
They're through as in no more acceptances? I already interviewed and I know they are through with interviewing more people. I'm just curious as to when you interviewed, I did not get the email for the alternate list so I am hoping that I am still in contending before being placed on the alternate list since I interviewed early Jan.
No more

Members don't see this ad :)
Do y'all think it is because the schools are wrapping up pretty quickly this year? I pray this is not the case. I try to stay positive as best as I can, but every now and then when I tune in on new updates on SDN, I lose hope by the minute :nailbiting:

Reactions: 1 users
Call up the adcom

Hi. While calling up the adcom is definitely one way to find out - may I ask what is the specific source you are hearing this from (that alternate list is set and admissions are done)

Reactions: 2 users
Do y'all think it is because the schools are wrapping up pretty quickly this year? I pray this is not the case. I try to stay positive as best as I can, but every now and then when I tune in on new updates on SDN, I lose hope by the minute :nailbiting:
I remember San Antonio saying that they had a lot more people accept December 1st than they usually do. Not sure if this will for sure impact the amount of rounds sent out, or if they same thing happened with UTSD and TAMU.

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed Roxanna Zarate from UTSD Student affairs and this is what she said verbatim:

"Hello,

As of right now we are still trying to fill our class and it can still take several months to do so. Please be patient with us as this is a very long process."

THERE IS STILL HOPE!

Reactions: 6 users
I remember San Antonio saying that they had a lot more people accept December 1st than they usually do. Not sure if this will for sure impact the amount of rounds sent out, or if they same thing happened with UTSD and TAMU.

I have a completely unsupported theory that there are less people this year who were accepted to all three universities. I have only heard of one other one in real life, and i've seen a few on here. in the previous cycles you see a ton of them. This means people are accepting the ones they were offered and not rejecting the others since they weren't offered, increasing the yield.

Email response from Janet Pledger from TAMU:

"We do potentially have a full class with the offers that we have made, we do have 2 more weeks before those responses are due. We will be sending out letters in about a month to offer some applicants a place on our Alternate List. We usually place around 30 applicants on the Alternate List, and in a typical year we will use a number of those alternates."

I have a completely unsupported theory that there are less people this year who were accepted to all three universities. I have only heard of one other one in real life, and i've seen a few on here. in the previous cycles you see a ton of them. This means people are accepting the ones they were offered and not rejecting the others since they weren't offered, increasing the yield.
You may be right, I honestly don't have any idea! Adriana Segura just said at my interview that they had more people accept on December 1st. It could literally mean nothing.

Should I email Dr. Cooley or Dr. Galindo?
I emailed Roxanna Zarate from UTSD Student affairs and this is what she said verbatim:

"Hello,

As of right now we are still trying to fill our class and it can still take several months to do so. Please be patient with us as this is a very long process."

THERE IS STILL HOPE!
Call up directly

Email response from Janet Pledger from TAMU:

"We do potentially have a full class with the offers that we have made, we do have 2 more weeks before those responses are due. We will be sending out letters in about a month to offer some applicants a place on our Alternate List. We usually place around 30 applicants on the Alternate List, and in a typical year we will use a number of those alternates."
So if I want to send a letter of intent to Dr.Miller, should I do it now or wait until I "might" get on the alternate list?

Last time I talked to Dr. Spears, he said that the class is almost full. Maybe *just maybe* one or two seats left.
With that's being said, some might get offer from other school and decline their offer here so there's may chance for some of you.

I know application cycle is hard to endure, but good luck to everyone! Hang in there :)

Reactions: 1 users
The conversation about UTSD becomes interesting. I really want to know how it turns out. I got the same email as Amnerd, seem like she copies and pastes. FYI: last year when I emailed on April, the email specifically stated that the class is almost full and they were forming alternative list.

Hey guys!

I was accepted to TAMU last Friday! Being a reapplicant and interviewing post-December, I thought I had no chance of receiving an invite from them after they sent out second round acceptances and decided to start working on my app for next year. I was surprised by the acceptance as I didn't expect to receive a phone call from the admissions committee. TAMU was my only interview this cycle and I had one from them last year. Keep your hopes up because it may come unexpected!

Also, if you haven't heard anything from any schools, it never hurts to start working on your app now so you can apply as early as possible for the next cycle. Good luck to you all!

The conversation about UTSD becomes interesting. I really want to know how it turns out. I got the same email as Amnerd, seem like she copies and pastes. FYI: last year when I emailed on April, the email specifically stated that the class is almost full and they were forming alternative list.
Are you a reapplicant?

Lingbird, I don't know if you're some troll behind a screen making people anxious, but your posts have no consistency at all. If what you're saying is indeed true, then at least say it with a bit of respect and say what you're saying in a decent way.
I am being honest. Not trolling.

Thanks to every one who contributed to this thread. I feel like this is like a support group, haha. I've all but accepted the worst outcome and that is I'll apply next cycle. The biggest hassle would probably to get updated recommendation letters but other than that, I'm done with all my prereqs and am happy with my GPA and DAT. At least we'll have a head start in May! Keep working hard, you will get in one way or another.

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks to every one who contributed to this thread. I feel like this is like a support group, haha. I've all but accepted the worst outcome and that is I'll apply next cycle. The biggest hassle would probably to get updated recommendation letters but other than that, I'm done with all my prereqs and am happy with my GPA and DAT. At least we'll have a head start in May! Keep working hard, you will get in one way or another.
Do you have to update your Rec letters? Or is just re writing your personal statement enough?

Do you have to update your Rec letters? Or is just re writing your personal statement enough?

I applied through the HPAC at my school, and it is a requirement to get new letters if re-applying. I've already sent emails to the same professors who took the time to write me LORs last year and have asked them to please re-write the letters again. I'll wait a couple days before I bug them again for an agreement :) .

I'm also writing my personal statement again to make it more concise and include some updates. I've been reading a lot of books so I hope that will help me with my writing a little, hehe.

I want to leave some words for people here who are still anxiously waiting and worrying about getting that acceptance email.

"Our main business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what lies clearly at hand."

Last edited:
Lingbird, I don't know if you're some troll behind a screen making people anxious, but your posts have no consistency at all. If what you're saying is indeed true, then at least say it with a bit of respect and say what you're saying in a decent way.
I have not said anything disrespectful. I am just stating what I know. Sorry if you took offense. I just urge you to call the school directly if there are any doubts of my validity

Hello all, I'm part of the fb group for utsd and it seems there might be 10-15 spots left. This is variable bc some ppl might not have joined fb or some have a utsd acceptance but are waiting for tamu/sa. I'm pretty confident y'all will hear something the week of march 5th. No news is good news right now!

According to my experience, the class is not gonna filled up until all 3 texas schools are filled up. In April, TMDSAS will give the school the list of duplicate students. Last year, the rejection letters were not sent until the end of April. I would recommend you all to think about what you should do if you don't get in this year. It does not have to be school, can be more volunteer or shadow, research or employment. BTW, rememeber to fill out FAFSA because the deadline is approaching , you don't want to go to dental shool without loan;) ( if you're rich enough, ignore this)

Hello all, I'm part of the fb group for utsd and it seems there might be 10-15 spots left. This is variable bc some ppl might not have joined fb or some have a utsd acceptance but are waiting for tamu/sa. I'm pretty confident y'all will hear something the week of march 5th. No news is good news right now!

To add onto this, some people are in multiple facebook groups. I know i joined all of them before making my decision, and i've yet to leave them

For those waiting on UTSD, I emailed Dr. Galindo and she pretty much said no news is good news. If your status changed, the office would notify you immediately.

For those waiting on UTSD, I emailed Dr. Galindo and she pretty much said no news is good news. If your status changed, the office would notify you immediately.
So I guess that's good that I did not receive the alternative list yet.

Another friend just got a acceptance from UTSD idk about this alternate list stuff but they're still sending acceptances apparently.

Do you know when did your friend receive acceptance email?
He got it at 12:55. My guess is someone dropped an acceptance and he was next on the list. The march wave should still be scheduled for the week of march 5

He got it at 12:55. My guess is someone dropped an acceptance and he was next on the list. The march wave should still be scheduled for the week of march 5
Do you know when your friend interviewed? Also, did he get an email saying he was on the alternate list after interview?

Do you know when your friend interviewed? Also, did he get an email saying he was on the alternate list after interview?
Interviewed in November did not receive anything about alternate list.

I don't know if this was a concern for anyone still waiting to hear from TAMU but they said that you can still be placed on their alternative list until May 1st even if you've made a deposit somewhere else.

who is doing the pre matriculation program for UTHSCSA?

What's that?
Its basically aimed towards students from an underrepresented minority population, a resident of a medically- or dentally-underserved region in Texas, or have a history of overcoming adverse circumstances. But being part of the program it is expected that you share what you learn with your classmates when school begins so don't worry you wont miss out on the information.