*~*~*TMDSAS 2017*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys! My pre dental advisor just sent the preliminary statistics from the Texas schools to us. This year was really competitive and I've attached the numbers below.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG_2753.JPG
    IMG_2753.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 263
Reactions: 6 users
Hi guys! My pre dental advisor just sent the preliminary statistics from the Texas schools to us. This year was really competitive and I've attached the numbers below.
Those GPA's though:eek:

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Welp....looks like I'm on the stupider end of the spectrum at A&M lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Where do these preliminary stats come from? It seems from here that all the Texas dental schools have filled all their seats then?

Where do these preliminary stats come from? It seems from here that all the Texas dental schools have filled all their seats then?

This shows offers extended. A single applicant could have received multiple offers (happens to many) so that would explain the greater than 100 spots you're seeing. Also, applicants could have received multiple offers from TX schools and still have chosen to go to an ivy or OOS. These are just the offers extended and not the enrolled stats (granted the gpa shouldn't vary too terribly)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
This shows offers extended. A single applicant could have received multiple offers (happens to many) so that would explain the greater than 100 spots you're seeing. Also, applicants could have received multiple offers from TX schools and still have chosen to go to an ivy or OOS. These are just the offers extended and not the enrolled stats (granted the gpa shouldn't vary too terribly)

Hey thanks for your response, that makes sense. I guess my other concern would be how someone's pre-dental advisor would have gathered this data? Doesn't seem like information easily found or given

Reactions: 2 users
It's interesting how many more female's were accepted than males this year. Do you think this will even out by the start of the year? Not that it matters, just curious! Most years its pretty close to 50/50

Breaking records back to back... Class of 2020 at UTSD had the highest GPA in school history with 3.74(?). This one is gonna be hard to beat lol.

You know the more I look at it, the more I feel as if there is no way those numbers are accurate.

The male/female disparity is huge! And I know more women are going into dentistry then men nowadays, but not that much more! (Though I will say my interviews were definitely more women to men).

The GPAs are way too high, and the offers extended are way too low. At this point in the game, the schools have definitely all offered more than 120 offers. There's just no way they haven't.

Lastly how would a pre-dentistry advisor get these stats??

Reactions: 5 users
You know the more I look at it, the more I feel as if there is no way those numbers are accurate.

The male/female disparity is huge! And I know more women are going into dentistry then men nowadays, but not that much more! (Though I will say my interviews were definitely more women to men).

The GPAs are way too high, and the offers extended are way too low. At this point in the game, the schools have definitely all offered more than 120 offers. There's just no way they haven't.

There are also significantly more women in both the UTHSCSA and TAMU FB pages last time I checked so it might not be super off.

Reactions: 1 user

A&M really doesn't send out many acceptances. Usually they fill up their class faster than UTSD and UTHSCSA. Also they have to save space in the incoming class for the 16 post bacc students that could potentially be entering as well.

So I go to a small private school and my advisor is close to our pre dental association (lol 4 of us applied of the whole school). From what I've gathered from her, every year the dental schools send advisors their preliminary stats of the current class. Again, this number obviously changes as they extend more offers to people with lower stats. I don't think she purposefully misled us or anything by sending them, but I understand the concern! Honestly, i find it hard to believe myself too. Like who knows, they could have even been pre December offers too and may not represent the full picture so definitely keep that in the back of your mind. That's why they're preliminary and not the final seated class data found on TMDSAS and other places.

Members don't see this ad :)
The male/female disparity is huge! And I know more women are going into dentistry then men nowadays, but not that much more! (Though I will say my interviews were definitely more women to men).?
The ratio of female:male in my class is 62:41
Previous class was 62:38
So far, the ratios are not surprising...

Interesting! Well, I feel bad fro future classes if this is the trend haha. I'm going to tell my brother to start looking at other careers just in case...

Well this just backs up my plan of Cs get degrees, that competition is insane

Interesting! Well, I feel bad fro future classes if this is the trend haha. I'm going to tell my brother to start looking at other careers just in case...

Oh yeah. As someone who is going to most likely reapply, this does not look promising haha.

I'm just interested to see how much these numbers change as more offers are extended. But one thing is for sure, it's becoming increasingly more competitive to gain entry into a TX dental school.

I'm just interested to see how much these numbers change as more offers are extended. But one thing is for sure, it's becoming increasingly more competitive to gain entry into a TX dental school.

Yeah well I think that's naturally what happens when your COA is 1/3rd of some schools ;)

Yeah well I think that's naturally what happens when your COA is 1/3rd of some schools ;)

For now.

I wonder how Baylors tuition will look after they complete their building. I know San Antonio wants to raise tuition but they get capped by their board or whatever. I think it's only a matter of time though before Texas tuition goes up a lot.

For now.

I wonder how Baylors tuition will look after they complete their building. I know San Antonio wants to raise tuition but they get capped by their board or whatever. I think it's only a matter of time though before Texas tuition goes up a lot.
Let's hope this isn't the case. If my tuition goes up because of the new building I'm gonna be pretty upset. Honestly I don't mind the building we have now tbh. I'd rather have lower tution and an older facility.

Let's hope this isn't the case. If my tuition goes up because of the new building I'm gonna be pretty upset. Honestly I don't mind the building we have now tbh. I'd rather have lower tution and an older facility.

i might be talking out of my butt here, but i think SA tuition went up a bit when the clinic was done

Last time I checked, for the past 10 years or so, there has been a consistant 4-6% increase in tuition year over year for the TX schools

i might be talking out of my butt here, but i think SA tuition went up a bit when the clinic was done
Well,tuition goes up a little every year at all the schools. I just don't want a drastic increase in tuition.

Last time I checked, for the past 10 years or so, there has been a consistant 4-6% increase in tuition year over year for the TX schools

doesn't USC only go up by 3% a year? i suppose we're lucky it's still so low before the percentages really start adding a chunk each year. That being said i think it's less than 4-6% because our cost is less than $1000 more than the 2020 class.

UTHSCSA 2013-2014 year first year $29,503

UTHSCSA 2016-2017 year first year $38,446

Difference of $8,943 between 4 years is about a 7.5% increase in tuition year over year in first year payments! UTHSCSA is the only school I can find that has their financial info from years past.

Total (adding 1st-4th year given in a single school year) tuition only. This is a slightly misleading calculation because it changes every year as you move D1-D4 but it's a good basis to check percentage increases.

2013-2014 year total - $97,779

2016-2017 year total - $122,131

Increase of $24,352 over 4 years is a 25% increase in tuition over that 4 year time period.

Total COA of 2013-2014 year - $203,304 (these are the max amounts)

Total COA of 2016-2017 year- $233,495

Increase of $30,191 which is ~15% increase. This is slightly misleading because the cost of living does not increase as the same rate as tuition, so it decreases the total percentage increase.

Moral of the story- prepare for a 25-30% increase in tuition over your 4 years or a 15-20% increase in total cost if you plan on taking the full amt of loans. Yikes!!

If anyone can find this info for TAMU, that would be great!

4 year COA for UTSD including fees (excluding housing):
UTSD 2014-2015: $102,264
UTSD 2015-2016: $118,958
UTSD 2016-2017: $127,698

(note this is for 4 years total, not how much per year)

4 year COA for UTSD including fees (excluding housing):
UTSD 2014-2015: $102,264
UTSD 2015-2016: $118,958
UTSD 2016-2017: $127,698

(note this is for 4 years total, not how much per year)
For some reason I vaguely remember Dr. Pierpont saying after you get accepted to UTSD they don't increase tuition while you're going through the DDS program.

For now.

A&M applied for a tuition raise same time houston/SA did and got denied because of dated facilities. Houston/SA got approved. Tuition raises are for sure coming for A&M when that building comes.

Saw people mentioning that they would send out another round of acceptances this week? Any news guys? I'm so tired of waiting.... :(

UTSD might be next week because there were acceptances sent on Feb 14th. This year UTSD seems to be giving 3 weeks for applicants to accept (March 7).

Hopefully by next Thursday or Friday...

Just got accepted into TAMU today!!! Ms. Pledger called me at 4:37 and I received the acceptance email at 4:55.

Reactions: 10 users
In to UTHSCSA!!!! Got the email at 7:52AM! Interviewed in September and sent an update/letter of intent a month ago!

Reactions: 8 users
In to UTHSCSA!!!! Got the email at 7:52AM! Interviewed in September and sent an update/letter of intent a month ago!
Congrats Cheesyfries! :bow: Who would be the appropriate person to contact at UTHSCSA with regards to sending updates/letter of intent? Thanks

Congrats Cheesyfries! :bow: Who would be the appropriate person to contact at UTHSCSA with regards to sending updates/letter of intent? Thanks

I emailed Dr. Segura, and thank you! I had just about accepted the fact that I'd have to reapply, so there is still hope this cycle!

Congrats!!! When you get to the Facebook page can you let us know how many spots are left?

Apologize I read that wrong I thought you said Houston! Not sure if SA had a FB page or not

SA has a FB page but it's kinda a **** show because a lot of the people are current D1s and some (like me, but I actually just left) are in multiple pages so it's not like 92 ppl its like 160. No way to tell through that how many spots are left

I got SA this morning but I'm already set on UTSD. Gonna reject so one of y'all can hopefully get SA!

I emailed Dr. Segura, and thank you! I had just about accepted the fact that I'd have to reapply, so there is still hope this cycle!
Thanks so much cheesyfries. It has indeed been a very stressful waiting game... :dead:

Hi, I was told that for UTHSCSA you could't send any updates. I was wondering what exactly do you mean by updating them?

Hi, I was told that for UTHSCSA you could't send any updates. I was wondering what exactly do you mean by updating them?

I was interviewed in Sept. so I wrote about what I've done since then, and I can't confirm or deny that I was told UTHSCSA didn't accept LOI/updates when I called... ;)