To finish pre-reqs now or later

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

abcdpremed

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Started high school at 17 & very naive, was toying with the idea of going PA or MD, got into a very competitive BSN program and decided to stick to that. I thought I was being smart by taking my pre-health pre-reqs since it'd save me time just in case I decided I wanted to pursue them (which at the time I wasn't sure), which now I realize was a terrible idea as a nursing student and for anyone thinking about going into any medical profession.

I didn't do as well as I hoped in chem 1 & 2, (basically didn't realize a B+ wasn't the end of any med school application) so I stuck to nursing. Up to now I've finished all my pre-reqs outside of Physics & orgo lab (and biochem). I know of a solid amount of nurses who graduated and then took their pre-reqs and got accepted to med schools, but honestly if I looked back at my transcript I look like I'm neither dedicated to medicine or nursing, and I've got a feeling that to adcoms it'll appear the same. I feel like if I finish up my pre-med pre-reqs it'll look likeI used nursing a jumping board into medicine, which I've heard isn't viewed too kindly. That being said, part of the reason why I'm very solid on medicine now is because of how much clinical exposure I've gotten through nursing, but I realize taking 40 credits of pre-reqs "just in case" was a dumb move.

So should I just finish up a bio and chem minor (only 3 courses away) and take physics after working for a while (it would be around 3 to 6 months after) or should I just finish my pre-reqs my senior year? I feel like the damage is already done in how indecisive I may seem on paper + paying for a post-grad semester is expensive. I'm too far into my nursing degree without adding 2 more years to complete another major and plan to work for 1-2 years before applying. It is arguable that I just wanted to double minor though if I complete it and just say I figured I wanted to do medicine after working, but don't know if I'm wasting time. Btw, my sGPA is a 3.71 and my cGPA is a 3.75 atm.
 
Last edited:
You can always take your post-grad pre-reqs at a community college.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your GPA is only one part of the whole puzzle. You can absolutely make your application say “medicine is for me” by getting a solid MCAT score, shadowing physicians, getting clinical experience, and volunteering. Your GPA is good, and I don’t think you’re as far off the track as you think: you just have a long way to go still.