To have an Associate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yigtbadoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all.
The fall semester is approaching at my community college and I am having mixed emotions about the pre-med concentrated associate of science degree I will be receiving after the semester ends at graduation. I love science and english equally, well maybe english just a little more. What? I like short stories and passages. Then again, I love to hear my chemistry teacher go off on a tangent about how atoms make everything possible.:soexcited: With that being said, I was thinking about graduating with my associate of science degree, going to a 4 year university to get a bachelor of arts degree in english and then applying to med school.
I know associate degrees get coffee stains while bachelor degrees get framed, but I was thinking that it would show my interest in science along with the services/research I have done these two years.
What advice do you all have?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello to all.
The fall semester is approaching at my community college and I am having mixed emotions about the pre-med concentrated associate of science degree I will be receiving after the semester ends at graduation. I love science and english equally, well maybe english just a little more. What? I like short stories and passages. Then again, I love to hear my chemistry teacher go off on a tangent about how atoms make everything possible.:soexcited: With that being said, I was thinking about graduating with my associate of science degree, going to a 4 year university to get a bachelor of arts degree in english and then applying to med school.
I know associate degrees get coffee stains while bachelor degrees get framed, but I was thinking that it would show my interest in science along with the services/research I have done these two years.
What advice do you all have?

Do what you love. Try to pursue a double major in English and Bio/Chem?
Try and transfer some of your associate credits to a 4 year uni? I haven't done this, so I am not familiar with it. But I am sure it is possible. As useless as counsellors are, try talking to them. They might be able to help.

Get an Undergrad degree in whatever your interested in. There are maybe roads to med school.

No one will really care what your associates was in, but having it be "pre-med" might help you as it was proof you have been thinking about medicine for a while now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Major in what you love, for sure. However, I have not met a person who transferred in from a community college who had not struggled in more advanced bio/chem classes - their basics just weren't good/detailed enough. I got the sense that they didn't have to build up the study habits/test taking skills as none of the classes they took at CC were "weeders" and were just too easy. Just my two cents.

Do what you love. Try to pursue a double major in English and Bio/Chem?
Try and transfer some of your associate credits to a 4 year uni? I haven't done this, so I am not familiar with it. But I am sure it is possible. As useless as counsellors are, try talking to them. They might be able to help.
LOL. As a general rule, the vast majority of classes transfer. Usually the only exception is if you are in a technical program (like HVAC or mechanic). Sometimes a class may not have a direct equivalent in the 4 year school and then they usually just transfer as elective credits.

LOL. As a general rule, the vast majority of classes transfer. Usually the only exception is if you are in a technical program (like HVAC or mechanic). Sometimes a class may not have a direct equivalent in the 4 year school and then they usually just transfer as elective credits.
Well, ITT Tech says "credits earned are unlikely to transfer." :laugh: