To scribe part-time or full-time during a gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bme94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been hired as an ER scribe. I initially told them I could work part-time while I'm finishing up school, and in July I would be willing to work full-time, but now I'm not sure if that's a good idea. I haven't started training yet, I just got the job. Scribing full-time would mean 4 days a week and I would be working night shifts. 4 days a week isn't normally so bad, but I would have to commute about an 1 hour and 3o minutes there and back. I was looking for some sort of a break during my year off, but I keep getting told by my father (who's a physician) that me just working part-time is just lazy and taking the easy way out. Does it really look that bad?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm, that's a crushing schedule...nights and a three hour commute. I can't give you an expert's opinion ( I never scribed), but I have always wondered about the value of scribing before entering med school. Especially when you have the rest of your life to work nights. I worked 30 hours a week this year in an education-related job. During the app cycle nobody ever asked me whether I was working full or part time. So I don't think it looks "bad." Besides, by the time you turn in your application in July, you will only have so many hours from this job to write down (and maybe a few schools who accept updates about what you're doing during the year).

Edit: Regarding your dad, not sure how to deal with that, but I think if you've made it this far you're certainly not lazy

It really depends on whether you want free time to do other stuff (research, volunteering, taking a class or two, or time to just relax) or not. You will learn a lot either way. Scribing is very demanding, so you'll value your time off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Current ED scribe here. I would scribe there part time and do something else in your free time (volunteer, research, or do something non-medical school related). There is a reason why there is such a high turn over rate in scribing - people burn out, people get other jobs, or just don't like the stress of it all and quit. Depending on the Chief Scribe you have there, they may either be good managers or take complete advantage of your schedule. What I would do if I were in your shoes is work part time until you get the feel for the place. If you can sustain the nature of scribing combined with the commute combined with leaving late (there will be many shifts where you will leave late), then you can work more hours.

TL, DR - Work part time. You can always request to pick up additional shifts from other scribes

Reactions: 1 user
Scribe part time and do whatever you want for the rest of the time. If volunteering is what you want to do, then do that. If playing video games is what you want to do, then do that. If you will be scribing in an ED that is busy and understaffed, the first few months may be more stressful than any semester in school you've ever had. Just remember that as a scribe, your entire job consists of doing the one thing that all physicians hate most about their jobs. Also, I commuted 90 minutes each way for two years of undergrad, and it is HELL.

Good luck. Find time to relax regardless. The upside is getting to know the nurses, physicians, techs and APs. I love everyone with whom I work.

Source: Scribing in an ED since this past July while waiting for med school to start.

Chief scribe checking in. Only commit to part-time, then you can usually pick up shifts if you have extra time. I'm always grateful for folks willing to pick up some slack when the "regulars" are not so regular, and don't live up to their commitments. Just make sure you can show that you are productive during your gap year(s).