To take psychology or to just read the review book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopfeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do I need to take a course in Psychology or do i need to just read a review book? This is my last semester and I debating on whether or not to take take psychology.

Members don't see this ad.

While a psychology class might be good and force you to study, you will inevitably need the book to fill in gaps of knowledge. Some of the questions are particular about how ideas came about, historical aspects and so on (these topics are not as big - and very professor specific). Why dont you take a look at the book that is being used in class and ask some of the students.
If I were you I would take the class, but actively use a review book during the semester to fill in MCAT-specific gaps in knowledge that the class doesnt go over.
Your psych class will likely gloss over the general, and you can fill out icing with details from a review book.

For example, you will likely go over by standard effect. MCAT will then ask you something along the lines of: analyzing rate between by standard and observer or something along those lines. They seem to kick it up a notch. Different angle view.

Reactions: 1 user
While a psychology class might be good and force you to study, you will inevitably need the book to fill in gaps of knowledge. Some of the questions are particular about how ideas came about, historical aspects and so on (these topics are not as big - and very professor specific). Why dont you take a look at the book that is being used in class and ask some of the students.
If I were you I would take the class, but actively use a review book during the semester to fill in MCAT-specific gaps in knowledge that the class doesnt go over.
Your psych class will likely gloss over the general, and you can fill out icing with details from a review book.

For example, you will likely go over by standard effect. MCAT will then ask you something along the lines of: analyzing rate between by standard and observer or something along those lines. They seem to kick it up a notch. Different angle view.

That is my concern. The Psychology class may not be useful for the test and just be another hard class. I will probably take the class anyway since psychology is emphasized on the new test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Psychology isn't a hard class.

ETA: Also, I do not remember there being any historical questions about psych on the MCAT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Psychology isn't a hard class.

ETA: Also, I do not remember there being any historical questions about psych on the MCAT.

Are there not questions that ask you about how a theory arose? which house of thought it belonged to ?
I label these as historical, which might be confusing.

This is my last semester; I feeling kinda of lazy.

Make sure you feel different about the MCAT. And it wasnt a hard class, just a lot of material, but mostly al recall and some/little application (what if a patient has this symptoms, what disorder are they experiencing. Can you recognize your vocab words from the text in examples.) All of these things is really what you would do self-study so might as well get an A if you are in need of a class.

Are there not questions that ask you about how a theory arose? which house of thought it belonged to ?

Make sure you feel different about the MCAT. And it wasnt a hard class, just a lot of material, but mostly al recall and some/little application (what if a patient has this symptoms, what disorder are they experiencing. Can you recognize your vocab words from the text in examples.) All of these things is really what you would do self-study so might as well get an A if you are in need of a class.

Thanks. I am just ready for undergrad to be over. Just have one semester/the MCAT to work hard on

Thanks. I am just ready for undergrad to be over. Just have one semester/the MCAT to work hard on

I feel ya. Go out with a bang. Use the break to recharge really good mentally, then run the last marathon (of many haha :p)
Best of wishes ~

Have you not taken the test yet? I'm not really allowed to divulge what kinds of questions were on the test.